We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Male Co-Stars With The Best Chemistry

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,026 posts

Posted 09 July 2017 - 07:40 AM

I always felt that James Stewart and Arthur O'Connell had great chemistry in Anatomy of a Murder​. O'Connell played an older mentor figure to Stewart whose dependence on alcohol has made him self-doubting and unambitious. Stewart walks a fine line between being an enabler and an interventionist and his studied unconcern when dealing with O'Connell lets us see how deeply he actually is​ concerned about the welfare of the older man. Stewart sees that an opportunity for himself (a big murder case) would also be an opportunity for O'Connell to turn his life around, so he enlists his help with the proviso that he be sober throughout the process. Stewart actually becomes the mentor, without ever taking any credit for it. It's a beautifully drawn relationship and it's a big part of what makes me return to the film again and again.

Arthur O'Connell also had great chemistry with Don Murray in "Bus Stop".

When he leaves Don Murray at the end - to his own devices and Marilyn Monroe - it is a genuinely sad exit.

Because Murray - without O'Connell and with Monroe - is not a promising prospect. 

• DougieB likes this

"I was born the day she kissed me.  I died the day she left me.  I lived a few weeks while she loved me." - Humphrey Bogart in "In A Lonely Place".

#2 DougieB

DougieB

I Love Melvin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,711 posts

Posted 08 July 2017 - 07:39 AM

I always felt that James Stewart and Arthur O'Connell had great chemistry in Anatomy of a Murder​. O'Connell played an older mentor figure to Stewart whose dependence on alcohol has made him self-doubting and unambitious. Stewart walks a fine line between being an enabler and an interventionist and his studied unconcern when dealing with O'Connell lets us see how deeply he actually is​ concerned about the welfare of the older man. Stewart sees that an opportunity for himself (a big murder case) would also be an opportunity for O'Connell to turn his life around, so he enlists his help with the proviso that he be sober throughout the process. Stewart actually becomes the mentor, without ever taking any credit for it. It's a beautifully drawn relationship and it's a big part of what makes me return to the film again and again.

• ChristineHoard, film lover 293 and rayban like this

"When Fortuna spins you downward, go out to a movie and get more out of life."...Ignatious J. Reilly, A Confederacy of Dunces

#3 jinsinna13

jinsinna13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 08:32 AM

Alan Alda with either Wayne Rogers or Mike Farrell: M*A*S*H. The first three seasons of M*A*S*H were memorable, and part of the reason was Alda's chemistry with Rogers. After Rogers left (and before Alda became a prima donna), Alda still had chemistry with Farrell, but a different kind. Rogers, Farrell, and Larry Linville are my favorite actors on the show, so...

• jaragon, rayban and jinsinna13 like this

"Believe in what your heart is saying. Hear the melody that's playing. There's no time to waste. There's so much to celebrate. Believe in what you feel inside. And give your dreams the wings to fly. You have everything you need. If you just believe."  Josh Groban- "Believe"

#4 jinsinna13

jinsinna13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 08:26 AM

Oh-kay. I guess I am not responding to this thread correctly. I am not sure where to draw the line regarding "bromances" and cartoon doggie buddyships...

Don't worry. You are responding just fine. If you have more examples, keep responding. I like all the examples I've seen so far.

• Jlewis likes this

"Believe in what your heart is saying. Hear the melody that's playing. There's no time to waste. There's so much to celebrate. Believe in what you feel inside. And give your dreams the wings to fly. You have everything you need. If you just believe."  Josh Groban- "Believe"

#5 Jlewis

Jlewis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 07:39 PM

Oh-kay. I guess I am not responding to this thread correctly. I am not sure where to draw the line regarding "bromances" and cartoon doggie buddyships...

#6 jaragon

jaragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 800 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 05:18 PM

Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaall in "Brokeback Mountain" their chemistry is the main reason to movie works

• ChristineHoard and jinsinna13 like this

#7 Jlewis

Jlewis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 04:36 PM

If it weren't for Gene Kelly's constant telephone womanizing, keeping Esther out of the water and seeking Miss Turn-style for the Month of June, I would say he and Frankie Sinatra make a cute couple in Anchors Aweigh, Take Me Out To The Ball Game and On The Town.

Then there's Frankie and Monty in From Here To Eternity. Ernest Borgnine is fuming with jealousy over that bro-mance and has to go the masochistic route with Frankie. Not even Donna Reed can keep Monty distracted.

... and Frankie definitely spends more time with Lawrence Harvey than he does Janet Leigh in The Manchurian Candidate.

Don't get me started on all of the brotherly love in the Rat Pack movies. This all makes me question what the big deal was with The Detective.

In Disney animated features, I often consider Trusty and Jock in Lady and the Tramp as an elderly "married couple" who give guidance, but no doggie desires, towards Lady and are very protective of her when Tramp is around. "Yoooouuuu mongrel!". Jock wails in loneliness when he thinks Trusty is killed. They are more expressively affectionate with each other than Jaq and Gus the mice in Cinderella and the three good lesbians in Sleeping Beauty. (Maleficent is also a lesbian, but she has no lover. That is why she is so full of rage and desperately trying to keep Prince Philip away from the teenage star, locking him in chains.)

Here the two do decide to get "engaged" to Lady though.

#8 jinsinna13

jinsinna13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 09:06 AM

Feel free to list as many examples you want. Here are some of mine:

Chris O'Donnell and LL Cool J: NCIS: Los Angeles

Alex O'Loughlin and Scott Caan: Hawaii Five-O (2010-)

Dirk Benedict and Richard Hatch: Battlestar Galactica (1978-1979)

Mark Goddard and Jonathan Harris: Lost in Space

Robert Vaughn and David McCallum: The Man From U.N.C.L.E.

Paul Newman and Robert Redford: Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid and The Sting

• jaragon and jinsinna13 like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users