We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Business News

Capitalism Creates Wealth

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#21 JakeHolman

JakeHolman

Borders, Language, Culture & Christian Nation

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,329 posts
  • LocationGod's Country.

Posted 21 June 2017 - 10:22 AM

EjEK7KeO_bigger.jpg

Business Insider‏Account verificato @businessinsider 1 h1 ora fa
A German grocery store chain that Europeans are obsessed with has officially invaded America — here's what it's like (Video) pic.twitter.com/tEuwEXtkaQ

This most beautiful system of the sun, planets and comets, could only proceed from the counsel and dominion of an intelligent and powerful Being. Isaac Newton  

And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters. Genesis 1:2

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under. President Ronald Reagan

In all my perplexities and distresses, the Bible has never failed to give me light and strength.  Gen. Robert E. Lee

The principle for which we contend is bound to reassert itself, though it may be at another time and in another form.   Jefferson Davis

Movies are written in sand: applauded today, forgotten tomorrow. D.W Griffith

I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth. Steve McQueen

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

Perfect freedom has no existence. The grown man knows the world he lives in, and for the present, the world is Rome. Ben Hur 

A man's got to have a code, a creed to live by, no matter his job. The Immortal John Wayne

#22 mr6666

mr6666

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,574 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 04:40 PM

Trump Officials Overseeing Amazon-Whole Foods Merger May Face Conflicts of Interest-

"Officials from both the Justice Department and the Federal Trade Commission, the two agencies charged with enforcing antitrust law, have financial ties to the law firms expected to play a major role in managing the deal........

https://theintercept...rump-officials/

:rolleyes: <_<

"A small elephant is not a rabbit."

#23 JakeHolman

JakeHolman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,329 posts
  • LocationGod's Country.

Posted 20 June 2017 - 11:21 AM

ib7iIvRF_bigger.jpg

Fast CompanyVerified account @FastCompany 5h5 hours ago

It’s time to break up Amazon http://buff.ly/2tHAYJsDCwwVEIXcAASUfO.jpg

This most beautiful system of the sun, planets and comets, could only proceed from the counsel and dominion of an intelligent and powerful Being. Isaac Newton  

And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters. Genesis 1:2

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under. President Ronald Reagan

In all my perplexities and distresses, the Bible has never failed to give me light and strength.  Gen. Robert E. Lee

The principle for which we contend is bound to reassert itself, though it may be at another time and in another form.   Jefferson Davis

I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth. Steve McQueen

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

Perfect freedom has no existence. The grown man knows the world he lives in, and for the present, the world is Rome. Ben Hur 

A man's got to have a code, a creed to live by, no matter his job. The Immortal John Wayne

#24 JakeHolman

JakeHolman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,329 posts
  • LocationGod's Country.

Posted 19 June 2017 - 10:38 AM

twitter-icon-main_bigger.png

The AtlanticVerified account @TheAtlantic Jun 16

#25 JakeHolman

JakeHolman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,329 posts
  • LocationGod's Country.

Posted 19 June 2017 - 10:13 AM

VVlFBgx3_bigger.jpg

Investors.comVerified account @IBDinvestors Jun 17

How Other Grocers Must Respond To Amazon Acquisition Of Whole Foods http://dlvr.it/PMxnkb pic.twitter.com/TOIYOT7PPyDCgXqG8UIAEhhe8.jpg

#26 JakeHolman

JakeHolman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,329 posts
  • LocationGod's Country.

Posted 18 June 2017 - 10:41 AM

j4vwsisS_bigger.jpg FOX BusinessVerified account @FoxBusiness 4h4 hours ago

Aldi fires $3.4 billion shot in U.S. supermarket warshttp://fxn.ws/2sk2YpJ 1497248554196.gif?ve=1&tl=1

#27 JakeHolman

JakeHolman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,329 posts
  • LocationGod's Country.

Posted 18 June 2017 - 10:39 AM

j4vwsisS_bigger.jpg FOX BusinessVerified account @FoxBusiness 3h3 hours ago

For Whole Foods workers, fears of robots, drones and culture clashhttp://fxn.ws/2sL5Njg 1497662442230.jpg?ve=1&tl=1

#28 JakeHolman

JakeHolman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,329 posts
  • LocationGod's Country.

Posted 18 June 2017 - 10:27 AM

inm00S9s_bigger.jpg

Washington ExaminerVerified account @dcexaminer 1h1 hour ago

Amazon's purchase of Whole Foods is an economic wake-up call http://washex.am/2sLVpYO  by @TomRtweetspic.twitter.com/nWKdvOzDxqDCnAohdXYAALhac.jpg

#29 JakeHolman

JakeHolman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,329 posts
  • LocationGod's Country.

Posted 16 June 2017 - 09:23 PM

j4vwsisS_bigger.jpg FOX Business‏Verified account @FoxBusiness 5h5 hours ago Is Costco cheaper than Amazon? http://www.foxbusine...o-cheaper-than- 1497618547248.jpg?ve=1&tl=1 There are folks in the Costco operation who make 20 bucks an hr. and they are not in management. Jake knows.

#30 JakeHolman

JakeHolman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,329 posts
  • LocationGod's Country.

Posted 16 June 2017 - 09:18 PM

j4vwsisS_bigger.jpg FOX BusinessVerified account @FoxBusiness 5h5 hours ago

Amazon vs. Walmart: Grocery Warshttp://fxn.ws/2tayCTW  1497626989902.jpg?ve=1&tl=1

#31 JakeHolman

JakeHolman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,329 posts
  • LocationGod's Country.

Posted 16 June 2017 - 09:14 PM

CsazvyAF_bigger.jpg CNBCVerified account @CNBC 2h2 hours ago

The five big tech companies are worth almost $3 trillion, so must pursue huge deals to keep growing

http://www.cnbc.com/...s-purchase.html104535014-GettyImages-456788190-jeff-bez

#32 JakeHolman

JakeHolman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,329 posts
  • LocationGod's Country.

Posted 16 June 2017 - 09:13 PM

CsazvyAF_bigger.jpg CNBCVerified account @CNBC 3h3 hours ago

Cramer Remix: Why the consumer is the biggest winner in Amazon’s Whole Foods takeover http://www.cnbc.com/...foods-deal.html104534927-GettyImages-78750608.530x298.j

#33 Princess of Tap

Princess of Tap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,725 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 07:46 PM

I'm sure you all have read the jokes about what the money Amazon spent for Whole Foods will get you when you shop there,
e.g. a jar of asparagus water and two organic apples. Insert your own joke(s).

I just came in from shopping at Natural Grocers, so I I don't feel like an organic food joke at the moment.

#34 ChristineHoard

ChristineHoard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 912 posts
  • LocationGA

Posted 16 June 2017 - 07:42 PM

I'm sure you all have read the jokes about what the money Amazon spent for Whole Foods will get you when you shop there,

e.g. a jar of asparagus water and two organic apples.  Insert your own joke(s).

#35 mr6666

mr6666

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,574 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 02:37 PM

"This means Amazon is now going to compete head on with Walmart, as well as Target, Costco, and Kroger (all of whose stock prices tumbled on the news). Within 10 years, they'll all be gone. Amazon is on the verge of owning American retailing.

Heads up: At the rate they’re going, within 20 years Amazon, Google, and Apple (possibly along with Microsoft and Facebook) will dominate the American economy. Watch as they begin to take over finance and the media.

Will this be good for consumers? No. With that kind of economic power, they'll be able to raise prices. Good for American democracy? No. With that kind of power, they'll basically run the government -- as did railroads and oil in the Gilded Age.

What's the answer? Revive antitrust."

-Rbt. Reich

:unsure:

• LawrenceA likes this

"A small elephant is not a rabbit."

#36 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Caretaker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,455 posts
  • LocationThe Overlook Hotel

Posted 16 June 2017 - 11:50 AM

As you noted in areas where Wal-Mart type stores were allowed it was the local customers that made those stores a success and put small businesses out of business,  one can't  fault a consumer from shopping at stores that offer lower prices for the same quality goods. 

One of the more frustrating aspects of Wal-Mart's success is that people paid those lower prices for often inferior products. So it wasn't the usual "lowest price for the same thing" but just the "lowest price", period. They used to sell a greater variety of brands, but as people bought the cheapest option more and more, they started phasing out the other brands.

• Princess of Tap likes this

#37 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

There is nothing as bad as something not so bad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,374 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 16 June 2017 - 11:44 AM

There is n

Of course I do, Ham.

Do you realize how many people they employ NOW?

Or are you under the impression that if a lot of people get let go from Wal-Mart that they'll go re-open those small businesses/towns?

What's done is done. And blaming Wal-Mart is the typical conservative hypocrisy. Out of one corner of their mouths they screech about the sanctity of the free market and out of the other corner they bemoan Wal-Mart's success, when the Wal-Mart business model is the free market allowed to run it's inevitable course. Customers made Wal-Mart successful. Customers shut down those small businesses. Customers shut down those small towns. If the average American cared about it, or thought about it, they would have refused to shop at Wal-Mart. But Americans want cheap garbage more than they care about their neighbors' livelihood.

The next step is being taken now, though, so it's all really moot. You'll see more and more brick-and-mortar stores closing and online shopping becoming the dominate force in retail. I just wonder where people are supposed to work to earn the money to buy their stuff online. By 2025, will the biggest private sector employers be fast food chains?  :unsure:

There is no such free market here in CA when it comes to Wal-Mart;   I.e. there are regulations that prevent Wal-Marts from being built because they are not union "friendly".     (In LA small businesses have stopped a few Wal-Marts but few small businesses are unionized,  but oh-well). 

As you noted in areas where Wal-Mart type stores were allowed it was the local customers that made those stores a success and put small businesses out of business,  one can't  fault a consumer from shopping at stores that offer lower prices for the same quality goods. 

As for the politics here;  Being happy about a hit on Wal-Mart due to Amazon is silly (at best);  as you imply all that is occurring is one major corporation is hurting another,  but with the additional factor that Amazon is able to provide goods using less personnel than Wal-Mart due to automation and that means less jobs. 

#38 hamradio

hamradio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,529 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 11:41 AM

Fortunately my area still have some small businesses - I do my shopping there.  The only thing I buy at Wal Mart are a handful of plants every May.  No one sells them within a reasonable distance.

• LawrenceA likes this

#39 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Caretaker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,455 posts
  • LocationThe Overlook Hotel

Posted 16 June 2017 - 11:34 AM

Do you know how many small businesses / towns that corporate giant (Wal Mart) has killed?

Of course I do, Ham.

Do you realize how many people they employ NOW?

Or are you under the impression that if a lot of people get let go from Wal-Mart that they'll go re-open those small businesses/towns?

What's done is done. And blaming Wal-Mart is the typical conservative hypocrisy. Out of one corner of their mouths they screech about the sanctity of the free market and out of the other corner they bemoan Wal-Mart's success, when the Wal-Mart business model is the free market allowed to run it's inevitable course. Customers made Wal-Mart successful. Customers shut down those small businesses. Customers shut down those small towns. If the average American cared about it, or thought about it, they would have refused to shop at Wal-Mart. But Americans want cheap garbage more than they care about their neighbors' livelihood.

The next step is being taken now, though, so it's all really moot. You'll see more and more brick-and-mortar stores closing and online shopping becoming the dominate force in retail. I just wonder where people are supposed to work to earn the money to buy their stuff online. By 2025, will the biggest private sector employers be fast food chains?  :unsure:

#40 hamradio

hamradio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,529 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 11:22 AM

Wal-Mart, Kroger and Target are among the top private employers in the US. So don't celebrate their misfortune with too much glee.

Or maybe they can all become coal miners.

Do you know how many small businesses / towns that corporate giant (Wal Mart) has killed?

Wal-Mart_Protest.jpg?1384312394

walmart.jpg?w=420

Yeah, right they are loved.

o-LA-WALMART-PROTEST-facebook.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users