We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Ben can't pronounce Italian names

luchino visconti

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Fedya

Fedya

Crotchety blankety-blank

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,361 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 02:42 PM

Arturo:

I probably should have included a smiley.
  • Arturo likes this

#2 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

There is nothing as bad as something not so bad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,804 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 21 June 2017 - 01:12 PM

I am a great believer in local language variations, which may rise to the level of full-blown dialects. I understand the need to know the standard "correct" form of a language, but I don't think locals should give up their mother tongue totally.

I agree.   As long as one has good enough knowledge of the 'standard' language,  also knowing various dialects is great and adds a local color.   

• Arturo likes this

#3 Arturo

Arturo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,336 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 10:39 AM

My wife is from Italy and many of the southern Italians she knows,  like her godmother,  need to brush-up on their pronunciations.  Instead all we hear are the local dialects.     Her mom wouldn't allow the local dialect (Bari), to be used in their household.

I am a great believer in local language variations, which may rise to the level of full-blown dialects. I understand the need to know the standard "correct" form of a language, but I don't think locals should give up their mother tongue totally.

#4 Arturo

Arturo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,336 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 10:35 AM

The Z is pronounced like an English TH (unvoiced), as any Castilian would tell you.

Actually, since the name usually refers to Mexican president Benito Juárez, a Zapotec Indian, or the Mexican border town named in his honor, Ciudad Juárez, the Castilian 'th' pronunciation of the Z would not apply, and would be pronounced as the S is pronounced in many parts of Latin America, although not in Spain. This is similar the ss in hiss.

I've heard that one pronounced both "WAH-rez" and more correctly( to me) "Hu-arez" (kind of a silent hyphen: two syllables)

Sepiatone

Sepia,

Neither is correct, although the first rendering at least correctly identifies the two syllables; the second actually pronounces three syllables.

It is something like "HUAH rehss". The initial H is similar to the English H, but more guttural, and with much less aspiration; the second is silent and is there only to make the A a short A; the A is part of a dipthong with the U, and roughly pronounced Wah. The R has a bit of a trill, but not full-on. And of course, no Z sound, but as I mentioned elsewhere, the S is like the ss in hiss. The E is the short E as in English, without any dipthong component

#5 Arturo

Arturo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,336 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 10:22 AM

The Z is pronounced like an English TH (unvoiced), as any Castilian would tell you.

Actually, since the name usually refers to Mexican president Benito Juárez, a Zapotec Indian, or the Mexican border town named in his honor, Ciudad Juárez, the Castilian 'th' pronunciation of the Z would not apply, and would be pronounced as the S is pronounced in many parts of Latin America, although not in Spain. This is similar the ss in hiss.

#6 Vautrin

Vautrin

Quel siecle a mains!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,107 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 20 June 2017 - 03:58 PM

I've never eaten even one strand of Prince Spaghetti, but

it's Prince Spaghetti Day.

Curse Sir Walter Raleigh, he was such a stupid get.

#7 NipkowDisc

NipkowDisc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,226 posts
  • Locationzaygon hegemony

Posted 20 June 2017 - 03:52 PM

he can't pick winning presidential candidates too well either.

:lol:

• NipkowDisc likes this

"okay, so we're moving right along, folks" -al pacino, dog day afternoon

#8 marcar

marcar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationWestern Mass

Posted 20 June 2017 - 03:40 PM

Please pronounce, Abbracciavento, Monterubbianesi and  Canavacciuolo.

A-BRA-CHEEA-VENTO, MONTEH-ROOB-YAH-NE-ZEE, and KA-NAH-VA-CHEE-OLO. As close as I can come phonetically without using sounds. Hope it helps. Marisa G.

#9 scsu1975

scsu1975

Tor B the Man

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,820 posts
  • LocationEd Wood movie

Posted 20 June 2017 - 02:22 PM

That is because, in Italian, the title of prince is not limited to royalty,

Correct. In fact, in some parts of Boston, Wednesday is still Prince Spaghetti night.

I'm a big boy.

#10 hamradio

hamradio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,904 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 11:40 AM

Please pronounce, Abbracciavento, Monterubbianesi and  Canavacciuolo.

#11 marcar

marcar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationWestern Mass

Posted 20 June 2017 - 11:24 AM

And HEY Marisa...one'a more thing here...

Now, being an avid motorcyclist for 50 years, among my fellow American motorcycle aficionados there's always been a little difference of opinion about how to properly pronounce the name of this brand of Italian machine...

img_0127.jpg

And so tell me here Signorina Giannetti...is this marque correctly pronounced as "Moto GOOZ-zee " or "Moto GOOT-zee"?

(...and seein' as how you might seem to know about this sort'a thing)

It's Moto-GOOT-Zee. There's a slight T before the Z and the accent is on the middle syllable. Hope that helps MG

• Dargo likes this

#12 Sepiatone

Sepiatone

Enhanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,771 posts
  • LocationLincoln Park, MI

Posted 20 June 2017 - 09:33 AM

Well, let's start talking again about how to pronounce Juarez. It's been a few years since we've had that discussion.

I've heard that one pronounced both "WAH-rez"  and more correctly( to me) "Hu-arez"  (kind of a silent hyphen: two syllables)

Sepiatone

I started out with NOTHING...and still have most of it left!

#13 Palmerin

Palmerin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 858 posts
  • LocationSaint Pete Beach, FL

Posted 20 June 2017 - 09:20 AM

The Italian poster for Keighley's THE MASTER OF BALLANTRAE rendered its title as THE PRINCE OF SCOTLAND. That is because, in Italian, the title of prince is not limited to royalty, but instead applies to members of eminent families such as the Derrys of Stevenson's story and the most illustrious House of Visconti.

#14 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

There is nothing as bad as something not so bad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,804 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 19 June 2017 - 06:24 PM

Sorry guys, but Ben M. has to brush-up on his pronunciations of Italian films and filmmakers. Most recently, it was Luchino Visconti. Luchino is pronounced Loo-Kee-No NOT Lu-CHEE-No. It doesn't take someone named Marisa Giannetti like me to know that...just get on YouTube and ask how to pronounce it. I remember poor Ben got muddled up by Fellini's "I Vitelloni" and I previously commented on that. Just call me Mr. M. if you have any doubts about your Italian...I'll be glad to help.

Doesn't this bother anybody else?

My wife is from Italy and many of the southern Italians she knows,  like her godmother,  need to brush-up on their pronunciations.  Instead all we hear are the local dialects.     Her mom wouldn't allow the local dialect (Bari), to be used in their household. 

#15 Fedya

Fedya

Crotchety blankety-blank

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,361 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 06:03 PM

Well, let's start talking again about how to pronounce Juarez. It's been a few years since we've had that discussion.

#16 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Hammer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,983 posts
  • LocationBreathin' Down Your Neck!

Posted 19 June 2017 - 05:37 PM

It's JEW-uh-reez, right?

I once heard someone pronounce Phoenix as pa-HO-nicks.

• Arturo likes this

#17 laffite

laffite

Oh Johnneeeeee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,620 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 19 June 2017 - 05:31 PM

With respect, our Mr Robert Osborne never seemed to get any coaching on French words. Jean Gabin was Gabeen. There were other wince-worthy examples.

#18 Dargo

Dargo

An "Acquired Taste"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,768 posts
  • LocationSedona, Arizona

Posted 19 June 2017 - 04:40 PM

But, in a society that screws up even the most SIMPLE ENGLISH words, like "Sherbet" (Sher-BERT)  and "horseradish"( many saying HORSH-radish), You really can't expect very many HENRY HIGGINS' among us, can you?

Sepiatone

I dunno, Sepia. But I DO hear Canadians call that particular hot and spicy condiment...wait for it...

"hoser-radish".

(...especially after a few too many Molsons)

• Sepiatone likes this

#19 Sepiatone

Sepiatone

Enhanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,771 posts
  • LocationLincoln Park, MI

Posted 19 June 2017 - 04:33 PM

Sorry guys, but Ben M. has to brush-up on his pronunciations of Italian films and filmmakers. Most recently, it was Luchino Visconti. Luchino is pronounced Loo-Kee-No NOT Lu-CHEE-No. It doesn't take someone named Marisa Giannetti like me to know that...just get on YouTube and ask how to pronounce it. I remember poor Ben got muddled up by Fellini's "I Vitelloni" and I previously commented on that. Just call me Mr. M. if you have any doubts about your Italian...I'll be glad to help.

Doesn't this bother anybody else?

Bother ME?  Hell, I'm POLISH.  I have my  OWN name troubles.  ;)

I do recall however, a Detroit Red Wing player named ALEX DELVECCHIO, whom the announcers always pronounced  Del-VECK-ee-o.  and years later, I worrked with a guy named Jim DEVECCIO, who said HIS name was pronounced De-VECH-ee-o( the "cc" in HIS name said like  "ch" in Charlie).  So if I'm mixed about this, I apologize and please set me straight.

But, in a society that screws up even the most SIMPLE ENGLISH words, like "Sherbet" (Sher-BERT)  and "horseradish"( many saying HORSH-radish), You really can't expect very many HENRY HIGGINS' among us, can you?

Sepiatone

• mr6666 and film lover 293 like this

I started out with NOTHING...and still have most of it left!

#20 EricJ

EricJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 04:32 PM

Sorry guys, but Ben M. has to brush-up on his pronunciations of Italian films and filmmakers. Most recently, it was Luchino Visconti. Luchino is pronounced Loo-Kee-No NOT Lu-CHEE-No. 

Even Inspector Leopard of Scotland Yard got it wrong.

Let's start a revolution: http://movieactivist.blogspot.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users