We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Childhood Favorites

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 5cents

5cents

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 12 July 2017 - 07:15 PM

I remember watching Charlie Chan movies on tv every Saturday when I was a child. Couldn't wait for Saturday to come. The Bowery Boys and Our Gang movies were also a favorite of mine.

All I have is a piece of hard rock candy. But it's not for eatin'. It's just for lookin' through.

#2 TikiSoo

TikiSoo

sprockethole

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,973 posts
  • LocationSyracuse, NY

Posted 21 June 2017 - 06:40 AM

I listened to the Broadway recording of MY FAIR LADY as a child and memorized all the songs. I had no idea what the story was until seeing the movie on TCM when in my 30's!

As a child I loved Shirley Temple movies and the Hope/Crosby/Lamour "Road" pictures. Actually, my favorite was Hope with Jane Russell in SON OF PALEFACE because it had the extra bonus of Trigger!

If an Abbott & Costello movie was on TV, I'd watch it, but they never delighted me as much as the Hope/Crosbys. I also really liked THE HORN BLOWS AT MIDNIGHT and thought if I ever had a daughter she'd be "Alexis" I just loved Alexis Smith in that movie.

I'm glad TV showed "Our Gang" and 3 Stooges shorts too, they really got me interested in "olden times". I was never prejudiced about b&w vs color because of those.

Getting older, in my teens I'd skip school to see classic silents at the Eastman House and discovered Chaplin, Keaton, Louise Brooks & Gloria Swanson.

• NickAndNora34 likes this

#3 speedracer5

speedracer5

Errol Flynn's girlfriend in a parallel universe,back in time

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,613 posts
  • LocationForest Grove, Oregon

Posted 20 June 2017 - 07:33 PM

I always loved watching my favorite Disney movies: The Little Mermaid, Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast and The Lion King--all of which I saw in the theater when they came out.

I also loved all the Hayley Mills movies.  

Then there were all my other favorites: Clueless, Dumb & Dumber, Billy Madison, Happy Gilmore, Encino Man, Dirty Dancing, Footloose, The Brady Bunch Movie, Romy & Michele's High School Reunion, 10 Things I Hate About You, She's All That, Clue, Sixteen Candles, Pretty in Pink... 

As for classics, I loved The Long, Long Trailer, the Laurel & Hardy shorts, The Marx Brothers' movies, Singin' in the Rain, The Wizard of Oz... 

I don't know why I'm writing in past tense.  I still love and watch all of these things.  Lol. 

• NickAndNora34 likes this

"It's not an old movie if you haven't seen it." -Lauren Bacall

"A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down your pants." -Ted Baxter on "The Mary Tyler Moore Show"

Proud member of:

dxmdyx.png

My classic movie and television blog:

Whimsically Classic

https://whimsicallyc....wordpress.com/

#4 NickAndNora34

NickAndNora34

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 750 posts
  • LocationAlbuquerque, NM

Posted 20 June 2017 - 12:57 PM

I'm interested to know which films/shows were your favorites as a child/teenager. I can honestly recall being obsessed with My Fair Lady (1964) and Sound of Music (1965). I would force my friends to reenact some of the musical numbers with me in my basement, which I guess I'll credit to the reason why my friends rarely came over haha. (I jest, I jest, my brother lived in the same house as me :) I think I learned every line of music and dialogue from Sound of Music by the time I was 5 years old. I'd like to think I learned how to speak with an English accent from the wonderful Julie Andrews (as a result of watching this dad-gum movie all the time).

What are some movies you all remember loving?

"Playing with matches, a girl can get burned." -Fiddler on the Roof 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users