We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

VOTING THREAD for TCM PROGRAMMING CHALLENGE #36

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 LonesomePolecat

LonesomePolecat

Wocka Wocka Wocka!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,471 posts
  • LocationLA, CA

Posted 10 July 2017 - 02:37 PM

As the sun sets on another programming challenge, we say a reluctant farewell to #36. Can't wait to see what Lydecker has in store for challenge #37.

Thanks to all and see you in the fall!

(P.S. Attaching these thumbnails in case moving the thread makes the other photos disappear)

Attached Files

• lydecker likes this

#2 lydecker

lydecker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,329 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 10 July 2017 - 11:08 AM

I'm thinking Fall, late September or early October.   Let your brains rest over the summer!

Lydecker

• speedracer5 likes this

#3 LonesomePolecat

LonesomePolecat

Wocka Wocka Wocka!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,471 posts
  • LocationLA, CA

Posted 10 July 2017 - 02:10 AM

Congrats to all and thanks for participating! I've loved all the schedules.

When should we expect the next one, Lydecker?

#4 speedracer5

speedracer5

Errol Flynn's girlfriend in a parallel universe,back in time

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,621 posts
  • LocationForest Grove, Oregon

Posted 08 July 2017 - 10:42 PM

Congrats Lydecker! 

I hope TCM steals some of your ideas.  I'd love to see what this "Clue Club" is all about.

I also love the selection of Una Merkel.

"But I'm not gonna say a word." 

• lydecker likes this

"It's not an old movie if you haven't seen it." -Lauren Bacall

"A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down your pants." -Ted Baxter on "The Mary Tyler Moore Show"

Proud member of:

dxmdyx.png

My classic movie and television blog:

Whimsically Classic

https://whimsicallyc....wordpress.com/

#5 Azure

Azure

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,635 posts

Posted 08 July 2017 - 12:50 PM

Congratulations, Lydecker!

:)

• lydecker likes this

Screen Goddess of the Week -- Greta Garbo

#6 Stevomachino

Stevomachino

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 08 July 2017 - 09:37 AM

Congratulations Lydecker!

A well-deserved win!

I absolutely love Una Merkel. She was a great choice for SOTM. I was happy to see 101 Dalmatians included in your Disney Treasures. It's the very first movie my parents took me to see, on one of its re-releases, so it holds a special place for me. I also enjoyed your tribute to mad scientists, Joe Gillis as guest host, and The Untouchables as your Essential. Just a great schedule all around.

I can't wait to see what you come up with for the next Challenge!

• LonesomePolecat, speedracer5 and lydecker like this

#7 lydecker

lydecker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,329 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 08 July 2017 - 06:55 AM

I am honored!  

"I'd like to thank the Academy, all the folks who liked my schedule, Una Merkel, Kick A** Heroines and, of course, The Late, Great Joe Gillis. I'd also like to thank Lonesome Polecat who created such a great challenge and everybody who contributed amazing schedules.  And, of course,  I want to thank my agent, my manager, my hangers-on, my masseuse, etc. etc. " (Wow, this is really starting to sound like an Oscar speech!) 

I loved the way you "announced" the winner . . . if only Faye Dunaway was here.

Again, thanks to everyone.  I love doing the challenges. On to #37!

Lydecker

• LonesomePolecat, speedracer5, Stevomachino and 1 other like this

#8 LonesomePolecat

LonesomePolecat

Wocka Wocka Wocka!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,471 posts
  • LocationLA, CA

Posted 08 July 2017 - 02:37 AM

And the winner is.......

oscar_envelopes_a_l.jpg

LA LA LAND!!!!

oops--- I mean......

645735890.jpg

THE GREAT WALDO LYDECKER!!!!!

MV5BMjhiYzUwYWYtMDExZi00MWVhLTkyODUtZDM4

MAZELTOV!!!

• speedracer5, Stevomachino and Azure like this

#9 JamesStewartFan95

JamesStewartFan95

The Great Pumpkin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 07:02 PM

Even though I enjoyed all the schedules and they were all great, my vote goes to SpeedRacer.

• LonesomePolecat, speedracer5, lydecker and 1 other like this

#10 LonesomePolecat

LonesomePolecat

Wocka Wocka Wocka!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,471 posts
  • LocationLA, CA

Posted 07 July 2017 - 12:56 PM

Toniiiiight, toniiiiiiight, the voting ends tonight

#11 Azure

Azure

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,635 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 04:48 PM

There are so many good things to say about all the schedules, but I'll just list my top 5 for each one.

CinemaInternational --

- I like that you chose Gene Tierney as the SOTM. I hope that she really will be the SOTM someday.
- Choosing Rin Tin Tin for the guest programmer was a very cute idea.
- I'm glad that you included Sleeping Beauty and Pinocchio in your Treasures from the Disney Vault lineup. (I've loved both of those films since I was little.)
- I liked your choice for the TCM Spotlight (Women of History).
- I liked that you scheduled a lot of great, little-seen Paramount films. It would be great if we could see all of those films on TCM someday soon.

Speedracer5 --

- I got a kick out of your choice for guest programmer -- Ricky Ricardo. Great idea!
- Your dirty laundry, birds and dance cards themes were fun. (OK, those are actually 3 things.)
- Thank you for paying tribute to Dorothy McGuire. She's such an underrated actress.
- I liked your detective movie theme for the Goofy challenge.
- The "Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon" theme was a creative idea.

Stevomachino --

- I liked that you chose Felix Bressart as the SOTM. He's one of my favorite character actors!
- I liked that you went with a car theme for the Goofy challenge. Those car-themed Goofy cartoons are so much fun to watch.
- The "Star Wars quotes" theme for the Star Wars challenge was a great idea.
- I liked that you included the rarely-seen In Search of the Castaways in your Treasures from the Disney Vault lineup.
- I was excited to see that you scheduled a bunch of great "old dark house" films. I really enjoy those types of films!

JamesStewartFan95 --

First of all, I can't believe that this was your first schedule. You seem like an old pro at this!

- I liked that you scheduled a bunch of UPA cartoons. You hardly ever see them anymore.
- Choosing Darth Vader as the guest host for a night of father-themed films was a great idea.
- You had a lot of great film choices for your Treasures from the Disney Vault lineup. I was especially happy to see that you scheduled Beauty and the Beast and The Sword in the Stone. Those 2 Disney films are very close to my heart.
- I liked that you chose Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory for "The Essentials". That's one of my favorite films.
- I liked your "History of Screwball Comedies" theme.

Barton Keyes --

- Thanks for paying tribute to Roscoe Lee Browne. (If he were still alive, I would pay money just to hear him read the phone book.)
- I liked that you honored Robert Osborne by scheduling some of his favorite films.
- Your "unusual films" theme was a great idea.
- I liked that you included Mary Poppins and the Sherman brothers documentary in your Treasures from the Disney Vault lineup.
- Black Narcissus was a great choice for "The Essentials".

Lydecker --

- I liked that you chose Una Merkel for the SOTM. She's one of my favorite character actresses.
- Having Joe Gillis (from Sunset Blvd.) as the guest programmer was a great idea. I liked that you scheduled Just a Gigolo and The Drowning Pool -- too funny!
- Thanks for honoring Edward G. Robinson with a birthday tribute. He's one of my favorite actors of all time.
- I liked your choice for the Star Wars challenge. (Carrie Fisher would be proud!)
- I liked that you chose Disney films that make you cry. That was really sweet.

I voted by PM earlier today. Good luck, everyone!
:)

Edited to add -- LonesomePolecat, those "Now Playing" guides look AMAZING!!!
  • LonesomePolecat, lydecker, Stevomachino and 1 other like this

Screen Goddess of the Week -- Greta Garbo

#12 LonesomePolecat

LonesomePolecat

Wocka Wocka Wocka!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,471 posts
  • LocationLA, CA

Posted 06 July 2017 - 03:51 PM

tumblr_njuiqeQo0L1u5ysg7o1_250.gif

One Day More to vote, everyone!

#13 LonesomePolecat

LonesomePolecat

Wocka Wocka Wocka!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,471 posts
  • LocationLA, CA

Posted 05 July 2017 - 01:03 PM

2 1/2 days left to vote--get those votes in! These schedules deserve a glance, so glance away.

#14 spence

spence

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,616 posts
  • LocationTampa Bay, FL

Posted 05 July 2017 - 04:29 AM

ABSOLUTELY 4 BIG STARS ON WHAT YOU COMPILED!!! :D

THANK YOU FOR YOUR "LIKE" & 1987's grandly entertaining crime-drama-(but by no means accurate, just fantastic moviemaking!) "The Untouchables" (l987) ($76m. gross) seems to sadly not be remembered by many already?

(EXAMPLE: Frank Nitti didn't go until around '46 & by his own hand) & some "Untouchables' fun-fax you may enjoy  Originally Paramount & DePalma cast Bob Hoskins-(also already gone?) as Capone, mainly due to *Bobby D saying he was in the middle of another project. but soon as he got free  they all of course wanted him to play Al Capone. so Hoskins actually did well $financially$ they pd him off & he didn't even have to do 1 sequence! On that note, that is yet another'87 *Oscar snub in *De Niro also not being up for s. actor vs. co-star *Sean Connery!

Best Supporting Actors that yr were>

*Connery-(of course he won)

Albert Brooks in "Broadcast News"

Morgan Freeman in "Street Smart"-(swept critics awards & marked the inception of his 2nd career)

Vincent Gardenia in "Moonstruck"

& Denzel Washington, "Cry Freedom"

& what a year, also that year were both>

Lee Ermey & Vincent D'0nfrio in "Full Metal Jacket"-(another film that is somewhat now finally getting it's due. Unfairly compared to *"Platoon" at the time, which I think is a heavyweight movie as well!!!)

(TRIVIA: next time you guys watch "Full Metal..." in it's 2nd half, which Kubrick filmed in England. You can easily see everybody's breath from the cold & dampness)

It truly was robbed of more *Oscar attention that year  Only garnering nods for (*Connery-he deservedly scored & stil lhis 1& only nomination?  i.e. "THE HILL" (l965)), Art-direction, Costumes & yet another dynamic score by *Morricone-(he lost to *"The Last Emperor's music score) & *Ennio shoulda' walked away with his 2nd consecutive win, 1986's "The Mission" was incredibally scored!

THANK YOU & KEEPTHOSE 4 STAR IMAGES COMING?  (P.S. Do you have when NATALIE was "STOTM" & there's a shot of her on "NP" for her month from "DAISY CLOVER?"

It's sooo unfortunate, but due to this thing we love-(THE NET) we are also losing ever soi much & I predicted ":NP Guide" wpould go bye, bye about a year back. & I firmly see it coming to "EW magazine"-(been a subscriber to since 199) Prior to that the superior "Premiere" (l987-2002)

"Classic Images" "Films of the Golden Age" are also on par, unless their gone already?

As *"the great: Spencer Tracy" told the working girls in 1957's "Desk Set" (***1/2) his massive computer was there to help them & not take their jobs away

I STILL & ALWAYS WILL JUST LOVE THE SMEL OF A BOOKSTORE!

#15 spence

spence

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,616 posts
  • LocationTampa Bay, FL

Posted 05 July 2017 - 12:08 AM

Thanks to the wonderful participants for their amazing schedules! I can't wait for TCM to rip off your ideas.

Carrying on the tradition that filmlover used to do a while back, here are Now Playing Guide covers for each of the schedules. This is both to realize your dreams and also in light of Now Playing Guides going digital. Enjoy!

Speedracer's schedule:

post-28048-0-97478600-1498464992.jpg

Barton Keyes' schedule:

post-28048-0-01449100-1498464995.jpg

Stevo's schedule:

post-28048-0-34695900-1498464996.jpg

Lydecker's Schedule:

post-28048-0-50410700-1498465004.jpg

CinemaInternational's schedule:

post-28048-0-81629700-1498464999.jpg

JamesStewartFan95's Schedule:

post-28048-0-40589000-1498465003.jpg

PROBABLY& BY FAR THEE SINGLE GREATEST SHOT OF *BANCROFT!   & I've written about this previously, but shortly before his demise on a tremendous "Pvt. Screenings" hosted this time by A. Baldwin, w/Mr. 0sborneas the guest. He said Gene Tierney-(l9l0-l99l) was his all-time favourite actress!   A strange choice, given the fact 2 time *AMP{AS winner *0livia de Havilland-(l9l6-) was such a close pal of his?

• LonesomePolecat likes this

#16 spence

spence

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,616 posts
  • LocationTampa Bay, FL

Posted 04 July 2017 - 05:34 AM

Happy 4th!

DECLERATION_OF_INDEPENDANCE.jpg?14751031

RIGHT BACK AT YA & ALL THE OTHERS!!!

• LonesomePolecat, lydecker and spence like this

#17 LonesomePolecat

LonesomePolecat

Wocka Wocka Wocka!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,471 posts
  • LocationLA, CA

Posted 04 July 2017 - 03:57 AM

Happy 4th!

DECLERATION_OF_INDEPENDANCE.jpg?14751031

• lydecker, Stevomachino and Azure like this

#18 lydecker

lydecker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,329 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 03 July 2017 - 09:25 AM

Hey:

Decided to reiterate my comments about the incredible Challenge #36 schedules:

CinemaInternational:  Love Gene Tierney as your SOTM, Rin Tin Tin is an inspired choice for a Guest Programmer, love Paramount in the 1930's (and I went a somewhat similar direction in my schedule) Disney "Light & Dark" is wonderful as is RKO Noir and, any schedule which includes the camp classic,"Valley of the Dolls" is ok by me.

Speedracer5:  I thought the laundry theme was a riot, love Ricky Ricardo as guest programmer, an Eleanor Powell salute is long overdue as is one to Jeanne Crain.  Your handling of the Star Wars challenge was very clever!

Stevomachino:  "Seeing Red" is such fun, love your SOTM, Felix Bressart (he always adds so much to a film) as well as your use of Star Wars quotes and Old Dark Houses.  So glad you saluted Lionel Atwill and liked the Goofy driving movies, too.

JamesStewartFan95:  Romance in the Big Apples was a great segment along with your salute to Elmer Bernstein. The "Starters Guide to Classic Film" is terrific and Darth Vader as guest programmer (showing his "softer side") is a riot.  Love Screwball Saturday and your TCM Spotlight, "The Children's Hour."

Barton Keyes:  Your TCM Spotlight (offbeat films for certain directors) was incredible.  What a great idea.  Also loved your "Victory Vehicles" aka WWII Transportation segment  -  so clever.  Your Robert Osborne "picks" segment was very touching . . .

Not an easy choice but for Gene Tierney, Rin Tin Tin (Gene Tierney & Rin Tin Tin, together at last!) and Disney Light & Dark, my vote goes to CinemaInternational.

Lydecker

• LonesomePolecat, Stevomachino and CinemaInternational like this

#19 speedracer5

speedracer5

Errol Flynn's girlfriend in a parallel universe,back in time

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,621 posts
  • LocationForest Grove, Oregon

Posted 30 June 2017 - 10:26 PM

Cinema Int'l,

I loved your selection of Gene Tierney as SOTM.  She's one of my favorites. I also loved your inclusion of The Black Cauldron in the Disney Vault and I also loved the choice of Valley of the Dolls as the Underground selection.

Stevo,

As red is my favorite color, I loved your red themed movies.  I also loved the salute to driving movies and the Friday Night Spotlight on one of my favorite subgenres--Teenager Movies.

JamesStewartFan, 

I loved your selection of Jane Fonda as SOTM, I want to see more of her films.  I love sports movies, so I enjoyed your baseball theme.  I also liked the salute to screwball comedies.

BartonKeyes,

I loved your salute to the amazing Cloris Leachman.  I also liked the tribute to Robert Osborne by airing a block of his favorite films.  And finally, I liked the spotlight on cannibalism for the Underground selection.

Lydecker,

I too, am now curious about the "Clue Club" movies.  This is something that I've never even heard of.  I love the SOTM focus on Una Merkel.  She cracks me up in The Parent Trap with her repeated refrain of "I'm not going to say a word." Finally, I loved the selection of Joe Gillis as Guest Programmer, especially the hilarious selection of The Drowning Pool.  

---

My vote goes to Lydecker!

• LonesomePolecat, lydecker and Stevomachino like this

"It's not an old movie if you haven't seen it." -Lauren Bacall

"A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down your pants." -Ted Baxter on "The Mary Tyler Moore Show"

Proud member of:

dxmdyx.png

My classic movie and television blog:

Whimsically Classic

https://whimsicallyc....wordpress.com/

#20 LonesomePolecat

LonesomePolecat

Wocka Wocka Wocka!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,471 posts
  • LocationLA, CA

Posted 30 June 2017 - 04:07 PM

PS Sorry this isn't pinned yet--I guess everyone is on vacation :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users