We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Hitchcock top 5

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#1 lydecker

lydecker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,348 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 14 August 2017 - 08:51 AM

1.  Foreign Correspondent

2.  Notorious

3.  Dial M For Murder

4.  The Man Who Knew Too Much (1934)

5.  The Lady Vanishes

Honorable mentions to:  The 39 Steps, Saboteur and Torn Curtain.

Lydecker

#2 Film401

Film401

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 07:44 PM

Now that the course is over, my top 5 has changed a little.

1) Rear Window

2) North By Northwest

3) The Wrong Man

4) Dial M for Murder

5) Psycho

#3 Dashing Rapscallion

Dashing Rapscallion

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationLouisiana

Posted 08 August 2017 - 12:37 AM

Okay so I actually went through all of the films! Before this class I had only seen about 14 or so films. My top 5 mostly remained unchanged except for Rope being replaced by Vertigo for 5th! I've been keeping a running list though as I watched the films, so I just have to share my entire list with you guys!

1. Psycho
  2. The Man Who Knew Too Much (1956)
  3. The Birds
  4. Rear Window
  5. Vertigo
  6. Rope
  7. Dial M for Murder
  8. Strangers on a Train
  9. Lifeboat
  10. Rebecca
  11. Shadow of a Doubt
  12. The Lady Vanishes
  13. Torn Curtain
  14. Family Plot
  15. North by Northwest
  16. I Confess
  17. Saboteur
  18. The 39 Steps
  19. The Man Who Knew Too Much (1934)
  20. Sabotage
  21. Frenzy
  22. Suspicion
  23. Stage Fright
  24. Spellbound
  25. Foreign Correspondent
  26. Murder
  27. The Lodger
  28. The Wrong Man
  29. The Skin Game
  30. Champagne
  31. Blackmail
  32. Jamaica Inn
  33. Topaz
  34. Marnie
  35. To Catch a Thief
  36. Notorious
  37. Rich and Strange
  38. Number Seventeen
  39. Secret Agent
  40. Waltzes from Vienna
  41. Under Capricorn
  42. The Trouble with Harry
  43. The Paradine Case
  44. Mr. and Mrs. Smith
  45. Easy Virtue
  46. Young and Innocent
  47. The Pleasure Garden
  48. Downhill
  49. The Ring
  50. Juno and the Paycock
  51. The Farmer's Wife
  52. The Manxman

#4 JimAgain

JimAgain

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 04:12 PM

It's tough to pick only 5, but now that the course is finished, I can say my favorites haven't changed.  In no particular order:

REAR WINDOW

DIAL "M" FOR MURDER

VERTIGO

STRANGERS ON A TRAIN

SHADOW OF A DOUBT

DIAL "M" is a sentimental favorite.  I can't say it was the first Hitchcock film I saw, but it is memorable because I saw it IN high school!  It was the last day of school and we had to show up for roll call.  Then the principal ordered us into the auditorium where he surprised us by showing a 16mm print of DIAL "M" FOR MURDER!   This might have started me on my life-long appreciation for Hitchcock.

As for SHADOW, thanks to TCM, I have fallen in LOVE with Teresa Wright and her early films (MRS. MINIVER, PRIDE OF THE YANKEES, BEST YEARS OF OUR LIVES).  I want to take her in my arms and kiss her all over!!  :-)

• Walt3rd likes this

#5 Richard Hannay

Richard Hannay

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 05:29 AM

It's tough to come up with only 5 but here's mine in no particular order:

Rear Window

The 39 Steps

North by Northwest

The Birds

Strangers on a Train

• Walt3rd likes this

#6 D'Arcy

D'Arcy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • LocationLake of the Ozarks

Posted 04 August 2017 - 12:28 AM

After much thought and giving into.... I am not really mainstream when it comes to films I enjoy, here are my Top 5 Hitchcock films

5. The Farmers Wife
4. Rope
3. Lifeboat
2. Mr and Mrs Smith
1. Notorious is the winner

This will change of course as I love his films

Honorable Mention ....Number 17
🎭💡📽🎬🎭

#7 DoubleExposures

DoubleExposures

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 29 July 2017 - 02:42 PM

Well, I've done it. I've watched every single film by Alfred Hitchcock (excluding non-extant and alternate versions, i.e. the very difficult to find silent version of Blackmail), and am now prepared to make my revised list.

Surprisingly, the list remained fairly similar. What I'm about to post is actually a mix of personal and objective thoughts and evaluations. It's difficult for me to recall in many cases enough recollections of my emotions so as to compare, especially after so long a time between films (by long a time, I mean more the amount of movies between. I completed the Hitchcock challenge in 19 days, after all.)

So, my list:

1.     Vertigo

2.     Notorious

3.     Shadow of a Doubt

4.     The Wrong Man

5.     Foreign Correspondent

It should also be noted that I feel the first part of Psycho ranks among these others. It's such a gloriously unprecedented, visually exciting, original and complex piece of filmmaking. However, the second part plays so normally in comparison that I think it hurts the picture, quite a bit. It's not even visually as beautiful.

Honestly, any day of the week I think you could see me claiming any of those films beside The Wrong Man as my favorite Hitchcock.

Although I've seen Vertigo a few times already, watching it this time I was more fully aware than ever that it is a tragedy—and what a tragedy it is! The entire second half of the film I was beset with heartache, as I became more aware than ever the psychology of these characters (which, with Hitch, I tend to discard beyond superficial motivations). And yet, the movie rolls on like a freight train, and you know that the unrelenting final moments are going to come, and you can do nothing to stop them.

And yet, Ingrid Bergman plays that same tragedy of a woman willing to allow a man to remake her for love in Notorious, which also flowered in fuller emotional depth this time around. However, motivations are more clearly delineated, and so they slightly lack the depth of Vertigo. This time, however, I was more fully cognizant of the degree to which Bergman's character is seen as a sort of prop by the Americans, which is equally heartbreaking.

Shadow of a Doubt now appears to me a fully defined coming-of-age tale, something that's overshadowed (pun unintended) by its Americana at times. But, the film really is the realization of the world, with its greys and its ambiguities and its horrors. It is the essential film that allowed for the later masterworks.

• D'Arcy likes this

Student, film maker, film scholar, film lover, film blogger at Double Exposures.

#8 EffieP

EffieP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 20 July 2017 - 07:38 AM

1. The 39 Steps

2. The Lady Vanishes

3. Strangers on a Train

4. Psycho

5. Rear Window

I like the first two because they include a little romance with characters I like. 

With Strangers and Rear Window, I like the plots.  They could happen to anyone:  accidentally bumping your foot against a psychopath or being bored and looking out a window.

I think Psycho is the best horror movie of all time.  Once again coming across someone who seems normal on the surface but has worse than normal "mother issues".

I can watch all five over and over.

• Konradnv likes this

#9 Konradnv

Konradnv

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 12:04 AM

North by Northwest
Rear Window
The Thirty Nine Steps
Shadow of a Doubt
Notorious

Runners up
Strangers on a Train
The Lady Vanishes
Foreign Corespondent
Vertigo
Psycho
The Birds
Man Who Knew too Much (Original version)
  • BrianBlake likes this

#10 BrianBlake

BrianBlake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationBethesda, MD

Posted 19 July 2017 - 11:52 PM

In no order

Notorious

Rear Window

Vertigo

North by Northwest

Shadow of a Doubt

• Konradnv likes this

#11 Konradnv

Konradnv

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 11:45 PM

I did the math on this a long time ago, and I don't think it has changed.

1. North by Northwest
2. Rear Window
3. Shadow of a Doubt
4. The 39 Steps
5. Notorious 

It's a shame that films as good as Rope, Strangers On a Train, Vertigo, Psycho, Lifeboat, Saboteur, and Frenzy don't make the top 5.

• Konradnv likes this

#12 Dashing Rapscallion

Dashing Rapscallion

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationLouisiana

Posted 14 July 2017 - 01:27 AM

Oh wow! There are so many good ones, but I have to go with

1) Psycho -  I've always been completely obsessed with this one since I was young. It's what made me love Hitchcock! I just love the tale of Norman Bates and mother haha I think it's his greatest masterpiece! I even think the sequels are fun movies to watch, and the tv show Bates Motel is one of my favorite television shows ever made!

2) The Man Who Knew Too Much (1956 version) -  I'm a HUGE Doris Day fan, so to have a Doris Day/Hitchcock film is just a match made in heaven for me haha Such a great film, and the symphony scene has me on the edge of my seat every time! I love the 1934 version too, but the 1956 version is the one that gets my personal favorite vote. I actually have the lyrics to "Que Sera, Sera" which originated from this film tattooed on my ribs!

3) The Birds - As a kid this movie scared the daylights out of me, and I still loved it! Such a unique horror film! The ending sequence is so hauntingly beautiful, and the attack sequences always fun to watch!

4) Rear Window - Another unique film! This movie I just adore simply because of the genius of Hitchcock. Only he could make an entire film set in a backyard so interesting! With so little dialogue outside of James Stewart's window, so much is said from silence. Great example of how Hitchcock was a silent director at heart.

5) Rope -  I only watched this one for the first time about 2 years ago and enjoyed it so much it shot up to the top of my list! I love the experimental camera techniques that Hitchcock used and how he hid the transitions. The whole continuous film vibe is so much fun to watch and the story itself is awesome!

We'll see if any of these change after I finish this course!

• classicsuz likes this

#13 speedracer5

speedracer5

Errol Flynn's girlfriend in a parallel universe,back in time

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,682 posts
  • LocationForest Grove, Oregon

Posted 13 July 2017 - 09:45 AM

My Top 5, which I'm sure would change at any given time:

1. Rear Window.  I just love how Hitchcock created the courtyard with all the different neighbors and how each of the neighbors are legitimate characters in their own right.  They all have backstories and when the camera shows the courtyard, all the characters are carrying on with their lives--just like real people living in an apartment complex would.  Miss Lonelyhearts is heartbreaking.  I think Miss Torso is hilarious.  The courtyard set in and of itself is amazing.  Add in Thelma Ritter and gorgeous Grace Kelly and you've got a great film! My only complaint about this film is the cheesy falling scene--but perhaps that is all I can truly expect from a 1954 film.

2. Notorious.  Cary Grant, Ingrid Bergman and Claude Rains are superb.  This was such a great story with complex characters.  Rains presents one of the more complicated, diabolical, yet sympathetic villains in all of Hitch's movies.

3. To Catch a Thief.  Inexplicably missing from the Hitchcock tribute, this film is one of my favorites.  Cary Grant and Grace Kelly's chemistry is off the charts and the story is fun.  The French Riviera setting is gorgeous as are Kelly's costumes.  The ballroom scene is one of the best in the film.  

4. Vertigo.  I'll admit that the first time I saw this film, I had no idea what had happened when it ended.  However, this film is so interesting and there are so many details to pick up on with each subsequent viewing that it's fun to watch over and over.  I am a big fan of Kim Novak and I also loved the San Francisco scenery.  A few years ago, my husband and I stayed at the Hotel Vertigo in San Francisco which was the location of the Empire Hotel where Novak's character lives.  We saw the square spiral staircase! 

5. Rebecca.  I'm not normally a fan of Laurence Olivier.  Oftentimes, I think he's a bit over the top in that he is bringing his stage performance to the small screen.  However, in this film, I thought he was excellent.  I'm a fan of Joan Fontaine and she did a great job as the timid, shy, nervous Mrs. de Wynter.  The real standout in the film is Judith Anderson's portrayal of Mrs. Danvers.  What a witch she is.  The film has this romantic, yet creepy quality about it and I really enjoyed it.  

Honorable Mentions: Suspicion, Spellbound, Dial M For Murder, Saboteur, Shadow of a Doubt and Psycho.

I would give an honorable mention to The Birds, but my biggest issue with that film is:

When the birds are assembling on the jungle gym outside the school... why oh why do Tippi Hedren and Suzanne Pleshette decide that the best course of action would be to run outside?  They should have stayed in the school and maybe tried to block off the windows or something.

• D'Arcy likes this

"It's not an old movie if you haven't seen it." -Lauren Bacall

"A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down your pants." -Ted Baxter on "The Mary Tyler Moore Show"

Proud member of:

dxmdyx.png

My classic movie and television blog:

Whimsically Classic

https://whimsicallyc....wordpress.com/

#14 speedracer5

speedracer5

Errol Flynn's girlfriend in a parallel universe,back in time

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,682 posts
  • LocationForest Grove, Oregon

Posted 13 July 2017 - 09:31 AM

The 39 Steps has shot to the top of my list and I can't wait to see it again. So many details that I thought, "eh, probably doesn't mean anything (whistling!)" and I should have picked up on. 

There should be a list of what to do prior to watching a Hitchcock film/this class:

1. Turn off cell phone

2. Feed cat, send him for a nap. Ditto if you have children.

3. Tell boyfriend not to disturb unless he will watch film quietly

4. Get notepad, pens, water, snack ready 5 minutes prior to start of film.

5. Use restroom.

6. Tell friends and relations not to bother me from 7:55pm onward on Weds and Fri nights!

Oops, almost forgot...make sure tablet is charged and ready to read tweets and occ. post tweets. 

Lol!

Mine would be the same except sub "bird" for cat.  I don't have any kids.  Sub "husband" for boyfriend.  

I would also have to add:

7. Don't lay down on the couch unless you want to fall asleep during the movie.

8. Turn off laptop, or at least close the lid and set it down on the floor.  I tend to get distracted and forget to watch the movie.

• JimAgain likes this

"It's not an old movie if you haven't seen it." -Lauren Bacall

"A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down your pants." -Ted Baxter on "The Mary Tyler Moore Show"

Proud member of:

dxmdyx.png

My classic movie and television blog:

Whimsically Classic

https://whimsicallyc....wordpress.com/

#15 Michael Linehan

Michael Linehan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 08:35 AM

1. Vertigo

2. Notorious

3. Dial "M" for Murder

4. North By Northwest

5. Psycho

Honorable Mentions: Lifeboat, Frenzy, Rebecca

I'll never forget the first time I saw Vertigo. I was floored when the reveal happened. Amazing experience and one of the best I've had with any film.

Can't believe I left Rear Window off. Add that to my honorable mentions.

#16 Gilda

Gilda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 10:25 PM

I like almost all of the Hitchcock films! I have watched them with my son when he was about 10 years old. At that time, I thought there were only a few Hitchcock movies! (The Birds, Psycho, you know~ the "biggies") Boy, was I in for a surprise! And this was before internet, so it was tough to know how many films he did unless you went to a library.

Ok, here goes, my top 5:

1. Psycho (always watch it when it's on)

2. Strangers on a Train (love Guy and Bruno interacting, also Bruno's mom is so hilarious. The plot is so inventive! The creepiness of Bruno "stalking" Guy in Washington, D.C.)   :(

3. North By Northwest (the suave villain , James Mason, Cary Grant  ;) , plot is fabulous! , and the music!!)

4. Rebecca (Story and the cast~~George Sanders perfect, Fontaine excellent)

5. Rope (love the interaction between Farley Granger and John Dall, when Granger freaks out and says "Cat and mouse...!)

Runners up:

Lifeboat (what other director could do this?)

Vertigo

The Birds

Rear Window

There are so many. I watch them whenever they are on, if I can. I appreciate his early films, but so far none have topped my faves :) !

#17 camarks

camarks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationMidwest

Posted 11 July 2017 - 10:11 AM

This is my list so far - I'm guessing it will be different at the end of this class.

1. Rear Window

2. North by Northwest

3. Notorious

4. Rope

5. Strangers on a Train

• Konradnv likes this

#18 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

There is nothing as bad as something not so bad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,512 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 08 July 2017 - 01:13 PM

The 39 Steps has shot to the top of my list and I can't wait to see it again. So many details that I thought, "eh, probably doesn't mean anything (whistling!)" and I should have picked up on. 

There should be a list of what to do prior to watching a Hitchcock film/this class:

1. Turn off cell phone

5. Use restroom.

6. Tell friends and relations not to bother me from 7:55pm onward on Weds and Fri nights!

Oops, almost forgot...make sure tablet is charged and ready to read tweets and occ. post tweets. 

Some great tips here but I'm don't know about 'send him (cat) for a nap'.    That is like asking a rock guitar player to turn down.   It just makes them turn their amp to 11.   :lol:

• NoirLady likes this

#19 SMS2017

SMS2017

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 08 July 2017 - 01:09 PM

1. Turn off cell phone

5. Use restroom.

• BrianBlake and NoirLady like this

#20 ChrisSturhann

ChrisSturhann

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 07 July 2017 - 03:11 PM

I did the math on this a long time ago, and I don't think it has changed.

1. North by Northwest

2. Rear Window
3. Shadow of a Doubt
4. The 39 Steps
5. Notorious 

It's a shame that films as good as Rope, Strangers On a Train, Vertigo, Psycho, Lifeboat, Saboteur, and Frenzy don't make the top 5.

• NoirLady, sherry.johnson and Konradnv like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users