We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Books

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 TopBilled

TopBilled

Film Writing and Selected Journalism

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,899 posts

Posted 08 July 2017 - 04:46 PM

Thanks. What book would contain information on the largest number of precode films 1929-1934? I have Precode Hollywood.

I enjoyed reading this one:

screen-shot-2017-07-08-at-2-45-08-pm.png

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#2 jasta

jasta

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 08 July 2017 - 05:33 AM

Thanks. What book would contain information on the largest number of precode films 1929-1934? I have Precode Hollywood.

#3 TopBilled

TopBilled

Film Writing and Selected Journalism

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,899 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 12:20 AM

I agree with what James said. No book will be complete. Most of them usually just focus on the major Hollywood studios, so output from Pathe, Tiffany and other lower rung studios will not be covered. And these books also tend to ignore British and Australian pictures from the same years.

• jamesjazzguitar likes this

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#4 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

There is nothing as bad as something not so bad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,235 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 06 July 2017 - 04:29 PM

Are there any books that have a complete list of precodes, with details on each one?

There are many pre-code movies books like Pre-Code Hollywood and Forbidden Hollywood,  but no book is going to have a 'complete' list. 

The main reason being is there isn't a agreed upon definition of a pre-code.   E.g.  some say every talking film,  regardless of genre,  made before July 1934 (when the Production Code started to be strictly enforced) are pre-code films.   

So what you're asking for is like asking for a complete list of noir films.     There is no such thing. 

• film lover 293 likes this

#5 jasta

jasta

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 07:39 AM

Are there any books that have a complete list of precodes, with details on each one?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users