We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Daily Dose #9: Last Night I Dreamt (Opening Scene of Rebecca)

• Please log in to reply
216 replies to this topic

#41 Thief12

Thief12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 05:34 PM

1. Describe how this opening is different from the multiple opening scenes you have seen in the Daily Doses from the British silent and/or sound period?

Like most of you have said, the opening is different in that it doesn't start in a busy, crowded place, but rather with this "ethereal", almost "ghost-like" narration. It then shifts to the cliff where Maxim is standing, full of grief. This part sorta reminded me of The Farmer's Wife, which is another one of the few Hitchcock films that doesn't open on a crowded place, but with shots of the desolate farm, and then shows the farmer looking out the window, full of grief. Also, like I said on the DD for The Lady Vanishes, the pan over the miniature set with the inn, the trains, and the avalanche was also a bit similar to this one.

2. What are the Hitchcock "touches" in this opening that help you identify this as a film directed by Alfred Hitchcock

To be honest, I can't think of a single thing in it that identifies it as a Hitchcock film.

3. How does this opening sequence use Manderley--the house itself--as a kind of character in the story? What affect does the flashback structure and the voiceover narration have on your experience of this scene?

The whole opening highlights the house as an entity, focusing on the gates, how they can't enter again, the size of it, the state it's in. There is intrigue as to the narration, what happened there? why can't they enter again? It helps set everything up.

#42 Soonya

Soonya

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 12:47 PM

1. Describe how this opening is different from the multiple opening scenes you have seen in the Daily Doses from the British silent and/or sound period?

Earlier Hitch movies I’ve watched pull me right in with action and / or plot. The beginning of Rebecca focuses on setting and mood. Then I become interested in the mansion as I would a character and then the two characters appear who also pull me into to their as yet unrevealed story.

2. What are the Hitchcock "touches" in this opening that help you identify this as a film directed by Alfred Hitchcock?

Again, I do not think I am yet an astute enough viewer to recognize Hitchcock “touches” on my own so I will again defer to the list given on a previous daily dose. And I cannot see that any of them match. So what makes this a Hitchcock movie and distinguishes it from a movie that could have been made by another director? I’m sorry to say that even this far into the course, I don’t know. I’m still a bit behind on watching my movies - Only up to The Man Who Knew Too Much. So hopefully as I continue to watch, Hitchcock characteristics will begin to become apparent.

3. How does this opening sequence use Manderley--the house itself--as a kind of character in the story? What affect does the flashback structure and the voiceover narration have on your experience of this scene?

I connect with the opening sequence as familiar to me of similar novels I’ve read when the author spends time up front setting the scene and giving character status to non-living entities. I enjoy the slower pace and internal subjective viewpoints that novels typically have had and look forward to enjoying this experience on the “big screen.” I must confess that I usually watch movies alone so I can pause and linger over the emotions stirred by the scenes before returning to the action minutes, hours, or even days later.

• dwallace and Knuckleheads Return like this

#43 Soonya

Soonya

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 12:13 PM

In this opening of Rebecca we get another Hitchcock POV shot.  What makes that even more interesting to me is the way he layers lighting and sound to create movement and emotional shifts.  As the narrator moves down the path, the shadows crawl across the ground in front of her, and in the same direction she travels.  So it’s like they accompany her.  They don’t necessarily seem ominous, though that’s a possibility.  But to me they provide mystery and motion.  And this makes an extended narration not seem static, which is always the danger.  To also break up the scene Hitchcock gives us, at one curve in the path, an almost complete white-out of fog, as if we’re transitioning to another location, but as that fog dissipates, we’re just around another corner.

The music in this scene adds so much.  First, as she moves in a dream-like state, we get, of course, a harp sound, which is often used for dreams and altered state scenes.  But along with that is a double reed (English horn or oboe in its lower range).  This instrument is often associated with pastoral scenes, and this makes perfect sense to characterize this dreamy location as deeply rural.  The music tends toward the more mysterious minor mode.  And the music’s leisurely pace matches her slow walk and her dreamy approach.

But as Manderley comes into view, the music changes (though not jarringly).  This shift gives us a further sense of movement as we and the narrator approach the house.  First, the music moves more toward the major mode, brightening the scene subtly.  But even more significant, I think, is the introduction of a violin.  This instrument, often used for feminine characters and romance, has the effect also of humanizing the scene (the violin is the instrument that sounds most like the human voice).  So when Waxman, the composer, writes for solo violin just as we see Manderley, it sort of warms the atmosphere.  And this happens as the narrator begins to imagine lights in the window, another kind of human warmth.

Of course, the light fades and Hitchcock takes us into the darkened house through a window and onto the turmoil of the sea which is to become so important in the film.  But the narrator’s opening is a masterful moment, and I think shows Hitchcock’s effective collaboration with the folks who do scene design, lighting, and music.

Thank you for helping me understand the specifics of how the scoring is supporting the scene.

#44 AmyV

AmyV

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 11:23 AM

Sorry, I already typed my whole response out last night but managed to lose it, so I am abbreviating the questions, etc. as much as possible here.

1. How this opening differs from other openings of British silent or sound period?  Several of the other films start with crowd scenes, many people moving about or enjoying a show or crowding around after a crime has been committed, or such.  This one begins with a scene of an old, seemingly destroyed or run-down house, as it appears in a woman's dream, the same woman who is narrating at that point.  Quite different from the other openings.

2.  Hitchcock "touches" - There is the POV shot of moving down along the driveway until the house comes into view; we have the use of light & darkness to add to the mystery of this house and what has transpired there.  The music, which is rather quiet and in-the-background at the first part comes more to the fore when the scene switches to Mr. DeWinter standing upon the precipice, the raging waters below.  The music becomes rather sinister, foreboding. 

3.  How does the sequence use Manderley itself as a kind of character in the story? The whole 1st segment is a woman talking about the house, it being in her dreams, it having clearly been something of a focal point in their lives in the past.  It makes us want to know more & what was its significance. 

What affect does flashback structure & voiceover narration have on your experience of this scene? The flashback structure brings us right in to the story; it intrigues us & makes us want to know what is the big deal with the house, this big beautiful mansion, what happened & why can they never go back there again? 

#45 lilblue511

lilblue511

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 11:06 AM

This opening is different because it's not full of gaiety and music and crowds like the openings from the British films. It's got a very somber and lonely feeling to it.

3. How does this opening sequence use Manderley--the house itself--as a kind of character in the story? What affect does the flashback structure and the voiceover narration have on your experience of this scene?

The flashback structure and the voiceover narration draw me into the film and entice me to watch the film to see what happened to the narrator and Manderley. It's the kind of opening that draws you in and makes you want to get comfy on the couch with a warm cup of tea while you watch the film.

#46 Shannon.H

Shannon.H

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 09:26 AM

This scene is more slow and quiet compared to the usual more action or allude to something that has already happened.

2. What are the Hitchcock "touches" in this opening that help you identify this as a film directed by Alfred Hitchcock? 

The almost false look that things might not be as they appear.   We start to see the house and it looks big and beautiful then when you get closer, you see that its not what you thought at all.

3. How does this opening sequence use Manderley--the house itself--as a kind of character in the story? What affect does the flashback structure and the voiceover narration have on your experience of this scene? 

I slowly comes to light and then you see that it is in ruins.  It sets us up to know that something happens in the house and that the house must play an important part in the film.  The voice over is calm and in a way gently informing is that something is coming.

#47 devin05

devin05

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 09:07 PM

Describe how this opening is different from the multiple opening scenes you have seen in the Daily Doses from the British silent and/or sound period? 

In the opening for Rebecca, instead of using graphics or signage for exposition, we are immediately introduced to the character of the estate through narrative.  While, as explained in the notes, this is probably due Selznick's demand to remain faithful to the novel, it is a difference that Hitchcock accommodates through realism.  The camera has more movement and the exploration of the space between the gate and the house.  Hitchcock has always used lighting but there is more use of lighting that creates more texture and emphasizes the dilapidated building.  There are no people, so the sense is loneliness, our loneliness or the narrator's loneliness.

What are the Hitchcock "touches" in this opening that help you identify this as a film directed by Alfred Hitchcock? 

The location of the cliff and the lone figure is reminiscent of some the scenes from The 39 steps.  The character approaches the edge of the cliff only showing his feet.  We know from the juxtaposition of his feet and edge inches away he would have fell if she hadn't intervened.  We are introduced to information the other character isn't fully aware of.

How does this opening sequence use Manderley--the house itself--as a kind of character in the story? What affect does the flashback structure and the voiceover narration have on your experience of this scene? 

Because the remarks of the narrative we know that this was once a beautiful estate.  But now it is in bad shape.  It has evolved.  The estate itself will have it's own story arc in conjunction with the characters.

• lilblue511 likes this

#48 brooke.fenton

brooke.fenton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 14 July 2017 - 07:45 PM

It is very different in that there isn't any real action going on. There aren't characters. There is a voiceover, but nothing that the narrator tells us matches with the shots on the screen. There isn't any particular attention paid to an object or item (until the end of course). 

2. What are the Hitchcock "touches" in this opening that help you identify this as a film directed by Alfred Hitchcock? 

The use of the camera, the dark shadows and fog all seemed very Hitchcockian to me. 

The camerawork allows us to see the POV of the character and make us, in a way, the character of the narrator. 

• lilblue511 likes this

#49 TrafikRptr

TrafikRptr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 04:56 PM

I'm also struck by the parallels between De Winter's Manderlay and Rochester's Thornfield Hall. These ornate but cold, wealthy gentleman's "castles" are both characters in their own right, full of mysterious rooms that help define the humans within. (Although one might be tempted to compare Manderlay to Selznick's previous Oscar-winning mansion, Tara, that one was really a working plantation, where its owner had hands dirtied by toil.)  And, in different ways, the two films are both examples of a bildungsroman genre.

Lots of parallels between "Rebecca" and "Jane Eyre" (the 1943 version) besides the great flame-scorched mansions!  Both are based on classic gothic novels.  Both movies starred Joan Fontaine.  And both movies were scored by Bernard Hermann. 

• MrNews likes this

#50 Jimmy L.

Jimmy L.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationUpstate New York

Posted 14 July 2017 - 07:22 AM

Rebecca opens its gothic romance with the dreamy narration about Manderley.  By introducing the current state of Manderley, burned and deserted, reclaimed by nature, the scene sets up a mystery that will be solved over the course of the film.  The viewers know how Manderley ended up, and the film will explain how it got there.  This is a cool way to set up the gothic tale, so viewers watching the romantic scenes between Joan Fontaine and Laurence Olivier will know, in the back of their minds, that some tragedy lies ahead.

This opening narration could have been accompanied by still shots of burned-out ruins, but Hitchcock creates a vivid, cinematic scene by taking the viewer on a trip down the winding driveway and up to the mansion using elaborate miniatures, evocative lighting, and a traveling subjective camera.

The viewer floats through the property like a ghost, even floating through the main gate (in a cool scene that reminds me of a similar camera move in Fritz Lang's M, where two pieces of the set are slid apart at the last moment to allow the camera to seemingly move through a narrow space).  Hitchcock brings the viewer right inside the set.

Once Manderley is in view, Hitchcock superimposes an image of the house in its previous splendor, with the lights on, giving the viewer a sense of the before/after (another cinematic trick Hitchcock uses to help bring the scene to life on the screen).

An opening narration scene like that could have been handled in a much more boring way, but Hitchcock keeps it visually engaging.

• JaneNoir, lilblue511 and IraH like this

#51 Krushing

Krushing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 12:11 AM

It opens on a scene dark and private. It's not a public place with a large cast of characters. As we travel the driveway we can see the disrepair. Then the house looms large and seems to have a life of its own. Something bad has happened with it affecting the narrator years later. It felt like an older lady looking back on her life with regrets.

2. What are the Hitchcock "touches" in this opening that help you identify this as a film directed by Alfred Hitchcock?

Dark and moody with a possible tragedy of Sir Laurence plummeting to his death.

It feels like the house is alive. That whatever happened in this place is bad and dark. Such a beautiful place marred with bad. It seems as if a lady is looking back on her past and remembering.
  • lilblue511 likes this

#52 msmukmuk

msmukmuk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 09:01 PM

1) The opening scene is quite different from the ones we've seen in the past mainly because it focuses on a place and not characters.His movies usually open with large crowds in public places. "Rebecca" is filmed in a much more sophisticated manner and it's the first time we hear a voice narrating a story about the past. it's smoky ethereal appearance is a taste of noir.

2)The Hitchcock "touch" I noticed was the camera work. the viewer has the POV of the narrator's dreamlike shadowy walk toward a mansion with hints of past secrets even though she points out that it's "a desolate shell without a whisper of it's past". perhaps a touch of "things are not what they appear to be"?????

3) Manderlay is a character, it has a name, an identity and a story.I was transported to it's gothic location by the narrator's haunting voice flowing like a  mysterious dream. She tells us that Manderlay is "secretive and silent as it always has been" thereby intriguing the viewer to find out what happened there, what was kept silent????? Why is it abandoned now?? Great stuff. No wonder it won Best Movie Oscar!!!

• JaneNoir, lilblue511 and HEYMOE like this

#53 startspreading

startspreading

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 13 July 2017 - 04:11 PM

The most obvious difference is that all the openings in Daily Doses have happened in crowded places, whereas the opening of Rebecca happens in a far-away property. It also has a voice-over narration, something new.

Although it’s not one of the elements of the “touch” described by Phillips, I see that we share the point of view with the second Mrs. De Winter.

What I see that was described by Phillips is the ordinary lead, here played by Joan Fontaine.

But, overall, Rebecca is more a Selznick picture than a Hitchcock one.

3. How does this opening sequence use Manderley--the house itself--as a kind of character in the story? What affect do the flashback structure and the voiceover narration have on your experience of this scene? 

A house says a lot about the people who live in it. The word “symmetry” was a key to me: a symbol of order and sobriety. I also think that the moon casting a light and then a shadow helps give the house a “feeling”. Manderley is as sinister as a haunted house.

On the other hand, by those few initial minutes, we can sense that Maxim is a disturbed, haunted character, and the second Mrs. De Winter is a naïve and nervous one – she is insecure and awkward.

• HEYMOE likes this

#54 vhclark

vhclark

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 01:01 PM

How this opening is different from the others we have seen so far is the narration. Hitchcock offers far more meaningful exposition here than in the scenes we have seen so far. Yes, it is metaphorical, but it is exposition. Once we get to the South of France, it becomes more like what we are used to.

The framing is still claustrophobic. When Manderley is revealed, we get a full image, but that is quickly cropped. We don't see everything. The ocean side in France should provide us this massive vista, but the rocks and the cliff dominate the frame.

The shots and the narration describe how Manderley has decayed over time and fallen into disrepair. As a character, Manderley's decay may be linked with the revealing of de Winter's plot.

• HEYMOE likes this

#55 CaseInPoint

CaseInPoint

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 11:39 AM

1. Describe how this opening is different from the multiple opening scenes you have seen in the Daily Doses from the British silent and/or sound period? Unlike previous films, Hitchcock uses the voice of a narrator to immediately establish that the story will be told from her perspective.  The narration is accompanied by long, slow tracking shots (I would even say POV shots of the narrator (?) in a very dark, gothic/horror setting.  The opening music is much more subdued than in previous films -- what most audiences would associate with a feeling of foreboding.  This is also an early example of a tracking shot visually taking the audience through a gate or wall.  I also like the jarring cut from the dark, moody views of Manderly to the bright crashing of the ocean and low angle shot of Olivier.  Almost like Madeleine and Scotty and their rendezvous by the crashing Pacific in Vertigo.

2. What are the Hitchcock "touches" in this opening that help you identify this as a film directed by Alfred Hitchcock? As mentioned above, the long tracking or POV shot that lingers outside the entrance of Manderly and moves through the gate.  Reminds me of the long pans and slow zoom through the hotel window in the opening of Psycho.

3. How does this opening sequence use Manderley--the house itself--as a kind of character in the story? What affect does the flashback structure and the voiceover narration have on your experience of this scene? As the camera first lingers on Manderly, the narrator (Fontaine) gives a detailed account, or reflection, of the important 'role' the house played in her life.  Her reflection also helps support the visual with a detailed description of the structure of the house.  The scene indeed serves as a vocal flash-back to set the stage for the film.

• HEYMOE likes this

#56 johnseury

johnseury

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 09:02 PM

1. There are more visual effects highlighting the eerieness of Manderley than in some of the earlier films. Instead of having various characters set up the theme in the setting, there are 2 characters: Manderely and the 2nd Mrs. deWinter.
2. Joan Fontaine is an ordinary character sucked into very extraordinary circumstances. She has to stand up for herself. Things unfold in a leisurely but creepy manner. Manderely certainly isn't an ordinary place but perhaps Manderely is the MacGuffin.
3. The opening, the voiceover narration & the flashback sequence sets up an unfolding sense of doom, foreboding, horror and overall creepiness.
  • HEYMOE likes this

#57 pwest1962

pwest1962

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 12 July 2017 - 08:56 PM

The opening scene from Rebecca is in darkness and there are no people, but we hear Joan Fontaine narrating over the unsettling background shadow of "Manderlay."  Her voice is somehow quietly strained as she remembers the past and her time at that place/palace.  I don't remember any other opening without people or motion.  However, this opening is so creepy that you know it is a Hitchcock film.

Olivier then appears on the edge of the cliff as if he is ready to jump.  We hear Fontaine voice again filled with fear as she warns him to step back.  We hear concern rather strain; she fears he will jump or fall to his death.  Her concern takes Olivier aback and he dismisses her and walks away quickly.  

The shadowy darkened house becomes a character as soon as we hear Fontaine voice telling us when her memories take her back to "Manderlay."  The shadow of the house casts along with Fontaine's narration creates a shadow of its own and somehow we know something terrible happened there; something that changed her life forever.  

• johnseury likes this

#58 Schlinged

Schlinged

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 06:23 PM

1. Describe how this opening is different from the multiple opening scenes you have seen in the Daily Doses from the British silent and/or sound period? There are no people in the scene, it feels quite eerie, almost like Gothic horror film. Joan Fontaine's voice over is wistful and serene. It's unlike any Hitchcock film I seen so far.

2. What are the Hitchcock "touches" in this opening that help you identify this as a film directed by Alfred Hitchcock? By using the manor house and it's dark and eerie feel and the cloud's for a second look like the head of a woman. Olivier on the cliff , moving slightly towards the edge and his upset tone.m These seem like some of Hitchcock's touches.

3. How does this opening sequence use Manderley--the house itself--as a kind of character in the story? What affect does the flashback structure and the voiceover narration have on your experience of this scene? By entering upon a decrepit mansion and the voiceover mention that the house had been beautiful and obviously something unsavory happened here.  As before, Fontaine's voice is wispy and dreamlike, as if the deterioration hasn't happened to the house.  

• lilblue511 likes this

#59 gardenias

gardenias

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 12 July 2017 - 06:10 PM

Instead of focusing on a person or people the focus is on a place. We are also seeing Manderley through a dream. We are seeing it the way the second Mrs. De Winter sees it. It may not be the way other people do. 

The scene is set up much like the films that we have seen prior. While the tracking is different we are still taken into the world of these characters in the first moments. 

We notice from the start that Manderley is a place haunted by something. We don't know the type of story we are about to see but we do know that Manderley is one of if not the most important part of the story. As she talks and we see the winding of the road and the change that has come upon we realize the significance this place has had on the lives of all that has entered it. In the narration I wonder if this is a girl I want to be saved or if it is a girl that will be saved by the events that will come. We are given enough information by the direction and story but are allowed to figure things out a long the way. 

• johnseury likes this

"Are they Charlie?" 

#60 fediukc1991

fediukc1991

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 05:57 PM

The opening sequence focuses on the house. The audience has been drawn into the movie. Manderley is the main character of the film.

• johnseury likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users