We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Queer British Art Exhibition at Tate Britain

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 07:20 PM

Hi Swithin

I was able to edit the title for you, and allow the word to be used :)

"Queer" is definitely a part of the everyday vocabulary.

"I was born the day she kissed me.  I died the day she left me.  I lived a few weeks while she loved me." - Humphrey Bogart in "In A Lonely Place".

#2 Swithin

Swithin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,781 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 10 July 2017 - 05:55 PM

Hi Swithin

Thanks so much! 

Btw, right next to a portrait of Oscar Wilde, they have the actual door from his cell in Reading Gaol.

Queer-British-Art-Tate-Britain-The-Upcom

• LawrenceA, jaragon and rayban like this

#3 jaragon

jaragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 04:49 PM

They are doing a similar show at The Prado in Spain

https://youtu.be/lCWmJVzyi8Y

Nice visuals but the video has an annoying music track

• rayban likes this

#4 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 02:45 PM

Wikipedia has a few suggestions, I'm going to look into them. I know Simeon Solomon's work from Pre-Raphaelite exhibitions here in London; and from reading articles about him. But I would like to read a proper biography. 

Here's his painting entitled "Bacchus," which is one of several of his works in the current exhibition. 

BRM_BMAG_1961_P52.jpg

He's obviously a very talented man!

"I was born the day she kissed me.  I died the day she left me.  I lived a few weeks while she loved me." - Humphrey Bogart in "In A Lonely Place".

#5 TCMModerator1

TCMModerator1

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 397 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 12:18 PM

​And today, on the TCM Board, I can't even use the word Q ueer without being censored!

Hi Swithin

• rayban likes this

#6 Swithin

Swithin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,781 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 10 July 2017 - 11:19 AM

Wikipedia has a few suggestions, I'm going to look into them. I know Simeon Solomon's work from Pre-Raphaelite exhibitions here in London; and from reading articles about him. But I would like to read a proper biography. 

Here's his painting entitled "Bacchus," which is one of several of his works in the current exhibition. 

BRM_BMAG_1961_P52.jpg

• rayban likes this

#7 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 11:09 AM

Here in the UK, the 50th anniversary of the partial decriminalization of homosexuality is being marked with a variety of events. Yesterday I went to a brilliant reading of Bent, with Russell Tovey in the lead role. Today I visited the Tate Britain, where there is a magnificent exhibition, Q ueer British Art 1861-1967. One of my favorite (and sadly, one of the most tragic) gay painters was the Pre-Raphaelite painter Simeon Solomon. Here is the caption that accompanies his self portrait:

"This delicate self portrait is by Simeon Solomon, an artist who explored themes of sexual ambiguity and same-sex desire in much of his work. He met Dante Gabriel Rossetti and was introduced to the Pre-Raphaelite brotherhood, becoming close friends with Edward Burne-Jones and poet-critic Algernon Charles Swinburne. His drawings were much admired and he exhibited at the Royal Academy from 1858 onwards. In 1873 he was arrested in a public urinal with George Roberts, a stableman, and was convicted of attempted b uggery and fined. Many friends abandoned him. He died in St. Giles Workhouse on 14 August 1905 at the age of 65."

​And today, on the TCM Board, I can't even use the word Q ueer without being censored!

N03410_10.jpg 

http://www.tate.org....h-art-1861-1967

Sounds fascinating, is there a biography on him?

• TopBilled likes this

#8 Swithin

Swithin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,781 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 10 July 2017 - 10:32 AM

Here in the UK, the 50th anniversary of the partial decriminalization of homosexuality is being marked with a variety of events. Yesterday I went to a brilliant reading of Bent, with Russell Tovey in the lead role. Today I visited the Tate Britain, where there is a magnificent exhibition, Q ueer British Art 1861-1967. One of my favorite (and sadly, one of the most tragic) gay painters was the Pre-Raphaelite painter Simeon Solomon. Here is the caption that accompanies his self portrait:

"This delicate self portrait is by Simeon Solomon, an artist who explored themes of sexual ambiguity and same-sex desire in much of his work. He met Dante Gabriel Rossetti and was introduced to the Pre-Raphaelite brotherhood, becoming close friends with Edward Burne-Jones and poet-critic Algernon Charles Swinburne. His drawings were much admired and he exhibited at the Royal Academy from 1858 onwards. In 1873 he was arrested in a public urinal with George Roberts, a stableman, and was convicted of attempted b uggery and fined. Many friends abandoned him. He died in St. Giles Workhouse on 14 August 1905 at the age of 65."

N03410_10.jpg 

http://www.tate.org....h-art-1861-1967

• TopBilled and rayban like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users