We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Islamaphobes

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
55 replies to this topic

#1 TCMModerator1

TCMModerator1

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 391 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 10:10 AM

This discussion is now closed to further comment, as it has gone off topic and turned into personal attacks. 

• Arturo likes this

#2 MovieMadness

MovieMadness

Bogie Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,746 posts
  • LocationHigh Sierra

Posted 17 July 2017 - 10:00 AM

He SHOULD perhaps think of starting his own website where other Neanderthal mouthbreathers can drag their knuckles over to and wallow in discriminatory self righteousness.

Sepiatone

Darkblue was kicked off for expressing his views, and from the reaction by a couple of posters it's not hard to figure it out.

This all started over Sharia Law, and while some in here feel that pointing out what Sharia Law entails should be regarded as religious intolerance,  it is actually the opposite >>>>>> as enforcing Sharia Law in the U.S. would be unconstitutional for its own intolerance.

As I said earlier, i would love to see Sharia Law imposed on the liberal states because it wouldn't last more than a day when they have to live under it. This is about religious law, and debating that should be open when it's unconstitutional.

You cannot legally impose religion on other people in the United States.

• JR33928 and LatriceRoyale like this

Things are never so bad they can't be made worse.

#3 LatriceRoyale

LatriceRoyale

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 09:37 AM

It is so ironic that you would make these comments yet appear to side with Dark Blue on this thread. Everything highlighted in your quote by me applies to him TEN FOLD. Except one more thing, when angered he also resorts to physical threats on posters. Now that's a bully!

Even your use of the word "cabal." You been talking to him on a PM? Don't answer that. I really don't care. But he knows all about that word, too, believe me.

Sorry if we can't all agree with your bigoted buddy.

It is obvious that you and DB have an ongoing grudge. Don't assume that people 'side' with anybody on these boards, just because that appears to be your constitution, it is not mine.

I am quite certain that if we were discussing topics face-to-face, there would not be the vitriolic behaviour and childishness that goes on here when discussions are adverse in nature.

I am retired now but worked in one of the most highly charged and adverse areas that I can think of, that being Law. We had a lot of diverse opinions and had to conduct ourselves with a very regimented code of conduct 'My Friend'.

If you wish to discuss this further, PM me. Otherwise, just stop with the insults and conjectures that have no evidence.

You cannot have it both ways.  A dancer who relies upon the doubtful comforts of human love can never be a great dancer. Never!

Boris Lermontov

#4 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,063 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 17 July 2017 - 09:20 AM

This shouldn't be a matter of this opinion vs. that opinion.  It is simply a case of right vs. wrong.  Using this forum to promote bigotry and racism is WRONG.

• Stephan55 and Sepiatone like this

#5 hamradio

hamradio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,446 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 01:32 AM

Yeah, if someone gets banned, it looks like all of their posts get deleted. That's why I'm pretty sure darkblue wasn't banned. And I don't think he was suspended either, as he was on this afternoon, anyway.

You should had been here back in 2007, it was the heyday of personal attacks before the moderator took control.  The biggest Flame War ever was over Jane Fonda. One BANNED poster (I'll abbreviate Met______r)  spent an entire evening writing an attack speech that took 2 pages, he use words I never encountered before (saved it for history in my Clipboard files).  Have to admit, never laugh so hysterically in my life.

We'll never see stuff  like that again.

• LawrenceA likes this

#6 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Hothead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,692 posts
  • Locationaround the neighborhood

Posted 17 July 2017 - 01:30 AM

Yeah, if someone gets banned, it looks like all of their posts get deleted. 

Or maybe not. I just looked at a post by someone I know was banned, and it's still there. But you can't click on their name to view a profile, and it says "Banned" instead of  "Member" under their avatar pic. And darkblue's doesn't say that, so he's not gone. Celebrate or mourn the news as you see fit.

#7 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Hothead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,692 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 01:20 AM

Several years ago, a poster was banned for attacking other members, I couldn't find a single post afterwards.

Yeah, if someone gets banned, it looks like all of their posts get deleted. That's why I'm pretty sure darkblue wasn't banned. And I don't think he was suspended either, as he was on this afternoon, anyway.

#8 hamradio

hamradio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,446 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 01:19 AM

The only person who can see warning points is the profile user, as far as I know.

The moderators wouldn't delete posts or otherwise dole out punishment based on the whims of a single user, or even a group of users. From what I understand, if a post gets reported, the Mod checks it to see if it somehow violates the Code of Conduct. If so, they zap it to the cornfield. I don't really know what warrants warning points, suspensions or permanent banishment. I've had many of my posts zapped in the past, but no points as yet.

So if darkblue was really punished because of a video he posted, then I would guess the person responsible would be darkblue, since they wouldn't have zapped it if it didn't violate the CoC. Whether someone reported it, multiple people reported it, or a mod on their own saw it and zapped it, I don't know.

Several years ago, a poster was banned for attacking other members, I couldn't find a single post afterwards.

#9 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Hothead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,692 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 01:09 AM

darkblue has not been kicked off or likewise banned.  I don't even see a "Warning Point" in his profile.  some of his recent threads are gone.

One bad thing about any poster being banned ALL threads, post are instantly gone which so far haven't happened with DB.  Stated he will be gone a couple of days.

The only person who can see warning points is the profile user, as far as I know.

The moderators wouldn't delete posts or otherwise dole out punishment based on the whims of a single user, or even a group of users. From what I understand, if a post gets reported, the Mod checks it to see if it somehow violates the Code of Conduct. If so, they zap it to the cornfield. I don't really know what warrants warning points, suspensions or permanent banishment. I've had many of my posts zapped in the past, but no points as yet.

So if darkblue was really punished because of a video he posted, then I would guess the person responsible would be darkblue, since they wouldn't have zapped it if it didn't violate the CoC. Whether someone reported it, multiple people reported it, or a mod on their own saw it and zapped it, I don't know.

#10 hamradio

hamradio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,446 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 01:00 AM

So who got darkblue kicked off of the message board for a video about an interesting topic affecting millions of people?

darkblue has not been kicked off or likewise banned.  Some of his recent threads are gone.

One bad thing about any poster being banned ALL threads, post are instantly gone which so far haven't happened with DB.  Stated he will be gone a couple of days.

One of his threads, still intact.

http://forums.tcm.co...on-the-decline/

Question, can we see "Warning Points" in other poster profiles.  All I see is mine which is 0.

#11 LatriceRoyale

LatriceRoyale

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 12:48 AM

So who got darkblue kicked off of the message board for a video about an interesting topic affecting millions of people?

I'd like to know too, so I can block the Cry baby!

Just let the moderators do their jobs in applying the terms and conditions of the policy/code of conduct without somebody fettering their discretionary authority.

You cannot have it both ways.  A dancer who relies upon the doubtful comforts of human love can never be a great dancer. Never!

Boris Lermontov

#12 MovieMadness

MovieMadness

Bogie Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,746 posts
  • LocationHigh Sierra

Posted 17 July 2017 - 12:04 AM

I have never lodged a complain against either a thread or a poster. These kinds of threads though, vile as they are, are the closest I've come to doing it.

I just hope the moderators continue to keep an eye open for them, and will blow them off the site.

It is a shame, though, as Sepia pointed out, that reasoned arguments against the bigotry get eliminated along with the hatred expressed towards a minority.

Things are never so bad they can't be made worse.

#13 Vautrin

Vautrin

Quel siecle a mains!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,401 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 16 July 2017 - 10:53 PM

Wouldn't that cover the Avon lady (husbands)? :lol:

And girl scouts and school kids who want to go on a trip. But I doubt any

of them would be as persistent as the JW. Somebody should rework the

lyrics to All Along the Watchtower for folks trying to avoid the JW coming to

their front door. 

Curse Sir Walter Raleigh, he was such a stupid get.

#14 hamradio

hamradio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,446 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 06:18 PM

Maybe those who have a fear of Jehovah's Witnesses should be

called doorbellophobes.

Wouldn't that cover the Avon lady (husbands)? :lol:

maxresdefault.jpg

#15 hamradio

hamradio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,446 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 06:03 PM

Latrice still doesn't seem to get it.

I came up with "Islamaphobe" to describe those, who like "homophobes" concerning gays, have an irrational fear and hyperbolic misconception of a particular religion.  And yes, by this definition, there ARE "Christophobes", "Mormophobes" and "Scientolophobes".

And "phobia" can have several meanings, like "aversion", "dread", "fear", "antipathy" and "complex" among a few more.

It might also interest(probably not due to it's logic) that in the late 19th century through the turn of the 20th century, Most Americans had the same "phobia" towards Catholicism.  Also....

My cousin, a Jehovah's Witniss who lived in Montreal, talked of how as recent as the 1940's, Canadians even had installed laws allowing Witnesses to be JAILED just for being Jehovah's Witnesses.

I'd probably call them "Jehovaphobes".  ;)

Wanna hate Muslims?  Fine.  Nothing wrong in that.  Just only when that hate wanders into areas of trying to unconstitutionally pass LAWS against just worshipping as one, or, as was done by a Kalkaska County, MI official, going on "social" media and calling for the KILLING of any and all Muslims.  JUST as it's wrong for Muslims to call for the same in reverse.  Which is why any Muslims I know condemn the actions of the Taliban and ISIS.   And to be clear, Muslims DON'T believe in THEIR God, but only ONE God, as do Christians and  Jews.  As an agnostic, I have an issue with that belief in it's totality.  But I have NO problem with anyone who chooses to believe what dogma suits them. 

Sepiatone

I treat ALL religious faiths with respect whether if I agree with their point of view or not.  It's the EXTREMIST I hate, if it's ISIS regarding the Islamic faith or cult groups like Jim Jones twisting  the Christian faith.  I don't hate Jehovah Witnesses, just that they are ANNOYING.

Jim Jones more a devil in flesh.

jim_jones-620x412.jpg

#16 Vautrin

Vautrin

Quel siecle a mains!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,401 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 16 July 2017 - 05:58 PM

Maybe those who have a fear of Jehovah's Witnesses should be

called doorbellophobes.

• Sepiatone likes this

#17 Dargo

Dargo

An "Acquired Taste"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,053 posts
  • LocationSedona, Arizona

Posted 16 July 2017 - 05:25 PM

Congratulations. Sedona is finally on the map.

Now excuse me, while I scan for errors (excuse me, errours)

OH, Sedona's been "on the map" for QUITE some time now, laffite ol' boy!

(...you should SEE the tourist traffic around here sometimes, dude!)

;)

#18 Sepiatone

Sepiatone

Enhanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,084 posts
  • LocationLincoln Park, MI

Posted 16 July 2017 - 05:22 PM

Latrice still doesn't seem to get it.

I came up with "Islamaphobe" to describe those, who like "homophobes" concerning gays, have an irrational fear and hyperbolic misconception of a particular religion.  And yes, by this definition, there ARE "Christophobes", "Mormophobes" and "Scientolophobes".

And "phobia" can have several meanings, like "aversion", "dread", "fear", "antipathy" and "complex" among a few more.

It might also interest(probably not due to it's logic) that in the late 19th century through the turn of the 20th century, Most Americans had the same "phobia" towards Catholicism.  Also....

My cousin, a Jehovah's Witniss who lived in Montreal, talked of how as recent as the 1940's, Canadians even had installed laws allowing Witnesses to be JAILED just for being Jehovah's Witnesses.

I'd probably call them "Jehovaphobes".  ;)

Wanna hate Muslims?  Fine.  Nothing wrong in that.  Just only when that hate wanders into areas of trying to unconstitutionally pass LAWS against just worshipping as one, or, as was done by a Kalkaska County, MI official, going on "social" media and calling for the KILLING of any and all Muslims.  JUST as it's wrong for Muslims to call for the same in reverse.  Which is why any Muslims I know condemn the actions of the Taliban and ISIS.   And to be clear, Muslims DON'T believe in THEIR God, but only ONE God, as do Christians and  Jews.  As an agnostic, I have an issue with that belief in it's totality.  But I have NO problem with anyone who chooses to believe what dogma suits them. 

Sepiatone

• laffite, mr6666, Stephan55 and 2 others like this

I started out with NOTHING...and still have most of it left!

#19 laffite

laffite

Oh Johnneeeeee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,725 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 16 July 2017 - 05:09 PM

laffite, as I am in Sedona Arizona, I will presume to correct your English. I believe the sentence should be:

"It's okay this time ... since you're in England, after all."

And in all candor, I've heard a rumor that Swithin is also very fussy about English, although of course certain usage issues may just be due to his being a big ol' Anglophile, and because that New York City boy spends so much of his time over there on that grouping of islands situated off the coast of continental Europe, and where for some inexplicable reason they STILL spell certain words within our shared common language inclusive of that oh-so needless letter 'u'.

;)

Congratulations. Sedona is finally on the map.

Now excuse me, while I scan for errors (excuse me, errours)

• Dargo likes this

#20 Vautrin

Vautrin

Quel siecle a mains!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,401 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 16 July 2017 - 04:52 PM

Most religions have scary things in their holy texts. Ever take a gander

at the OT. Just as bad as anything one might find in the Koran. There

are Islamophobes out there, people who go beyond criticism of the

tenets of Islam and push all kinds of ridiculous scenarios about a

Muslim "invasion," Muslims taking over the country, and a general

irrational fear of Muslims. 

I remember reading many years ago an article that had statistics

that showed among the most populous hyphenated Americans, the

Irish-Americans had the highest rate of alcoholism. Bottoms up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users