We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Alejandro Amenabar

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Arsan404

Arsan404

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,118 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 07:19 PM

Are his films available on DVD?

They are available on Amazon and Barnes & Noble

• rayban likes this

#2 jaragon

jaragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 04:57 PM

He included one gay character in Regression only because his homosexuality was important to the story.

He's said in interviews that he doesn't include gay characters because their being gay shouldn't be important but something circumstantial in the character's background and in the story; it shouldn't be the main plot or have major consequences in the movie, because homosexuality should be normalized first in mainstream films.

He cites Ang Lee's Taking Woodstock as an example, which includes a gay sex scene and it's purely incidental, with no consequences in the movie.

He doesn't see himself as a gay director but simply as a director, for the same reason, that his being gay is incidental and that it doesn't influence his work.

He has a dual Chilean-Spanish citizenship.

If someone speaks Spanish, here are two interviews when he showed Regression at the San Sebastian Film Festival:

http://www.revistava...han-hawke/21321

https://vimeo.com/141776358

I've been trying to watch "Regression" but found it a bit dull- will see if I can finish it

• rayban likes this

#3 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,083 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 10:35 AM

I've got some catching up to do too. The only one I've seen is The Sea Inside.​ I'm glad that he cited Ang Lee's underappreciated Taking Woodstock ​as an example of "normalized" gayness, because it's the best one I know of. After all the over-the-top praise and over-the-top condemnation for Brokeback Mountain​, Lee quietly went about filming this story about a very un-Jake or Heath-like, kind of dorky but very sweet and likeable young gay man. The "gay sex scene" actually includes a woman and LSD, so there's no risk of repeating the outrage that all the grunting in a very dark tent inspired. The no apologies needed depiction of Liev Schreiber's cross-dressing character is also refreshing.

I wonder if his husband David is related to Richard Blanco, the gay poet who wrote that beautiful poem for Obama's second inaugural.

I must see "Taking Woodstock".

I have heard a great deal about it, too.

"I was born the day she kissed me.  I died the day she left me.  I lived a few weeks while she loved me." - Humphrey Bogart in "In A Lonely Place".

#4 DougieB

DougieB

I Love Melvin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,711 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 08:04 AM

I've got some catching up to do too. The only one I've seen is The Sea Inside.​ I'm glad that he cited Ang Lee's underappreciated Taking Woodstock ​as an example of "normalized" gayness, because it's the best one I know of. After all the over-the-top praise and over-the-top condemnation for Brokeback Mountain​, Lee quietly went about filming this story about a very un-Jake or Heath-like, kind of dorky but very sweet and likeable young gay man. The "gay sex scene" actually includes a woman and LSD, so there's no risk of repeating the outrage that all the grunting in a very dark tent inspired. The no apologies needed depiction of Liev Schreiber's cross-dressing character is also refreshing.

I wonder if his husband David is related to Richard Blanco, the gay poet who wrote that beautiful poem for Obama's second inaugural.

• rayban likes this

"When Fortuna spins you downward, go out to a movie and get more out of life."...Ignatious J. Reilly, A Confederacy of Dunces

#5 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,083 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 07:18 AM

• jaragon likes this

"I was born the day she kissed me.  I died the day she left me.  I lived a few weeks while she loved me." - Humphrey Bogart in "In A Lonely Place".

#6 Arsan404

Arsan404

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,118 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 10:11 PM

He included one gay character in Regression only because his homosexuality was important to the story.

He's said in interviews that he doesn't include gay characters because their being gay shouldn't be important but something circumstantial in the character's background and in the story; it shouldn't be the main plot or have major consequences in the movie, because homosexuality should be normalized first in mainstream films.

He cites Ang Lee's Taking Woodstock as an example, which includes a gay sex scene and it's purely incidental, with no consequences in the movie.

He doesn't see himself as a gay director but simply as a director, for the same reason, that his being gay is incidental and that it doesn't influence his work.

He has a dual Chilean-Spanish citizenship.

If someone speaks Spanish, here are two interviews when he showed Regression at the San Sebastian Film Festival:

http://www.revistava...han-hawke/21321

https://vimeo.com/141776358

• jaragon and rayban like this

#7 jaragon

jaragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 07:43 PM

I'd like to thank you for re-acquainting me with this director.

I didn't know much about him.

I knew that he made a film, "Open Your Eyes", which was re-made by Tom Cruise as "Vanilla Sky".

I knew that he was the director of "The Others" (2001) with Nicole Kidman.

I knew that he won the Oscar for Best Foreign Language Film for "The Sea Inside" (2004).

But, now, I have learned more information about him.

I didn't know that he composed most of his soundtracks.

I didn't know that he married David Blanco in 2015.

I didn't know that he won 9 Goyas, too.

Maybe, someday, he'll become better-known here in the United States.

amenc3a1bar.jpg

His films:

Thesis - 1996

Open Your Eyes - 1997

The Others - 2001

The Sea Inside - 2004

Agora - 2009

Regression - 2015

2015100110503139507.jpg

(Alejandro Amenabar and his husband, David Blanco.) 

If  I was married to such handsome man I would take break from filmmaking too ;)

• rayban likes this

#8 jaragon

jaragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 07:42 PM

"Agora" aka "Mists Of Time" - Alejandro Amenabar with his stars, Rachael Weisz and Max Minghella - the most expensive Spanish film in history -

amenabar-minghella-weisz.jpg

It's impressive to look at but dull- handsome Oscar Isaac is also in it.

• rayban likes this

#9 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,083 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 06:06 PM

"Agora" aka "Mists Of Time" - Alejandro Amenabar with his stars, Rachael Weisz and Max Minghella - the most expensive Spanish film in history -

amenabar-minghella-weisz.jpg

• jaragon likes this

#10 jaragon

jaragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 06:04 PM

I knew that he made a film, "Open Your Eyes", which was re-made by Tom Cruise as "Vanilla Sky".

I knew that he won the Oscar for Best Foreign Language Film for "The Sea Inside" (2004).

amenc3a1bar.jpg

His films:

Thesis - 1996

Open Your Eyes - 1997

The Others - 2001

The Sea Inside - 2004

Agora - 2009

Regression - 2015

2015100110503139507.jpg

"Thesis" his first film is really good.

• rayban likes this

#11 jaragon

jaragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 06:03 PM

Maybe he doesn't want to be known as a "gay director"?

No he doesn't want to be Almodovar  but it's interesting that there is so few gay content in his filmmography  but of course he still young enough to change that

• rayban likes this

#12 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,083 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 05:26 PM

amenc3a1bar.jpg

His films:

Thesis - 1996

Open Your Eyes - 1997

The Others - 2001

The Sea Inside - 2004

Agora - 2009

Regression - 2015

2015100110503139507.jpg

• jaragon likes this

#13 ChristineHoard

ChristineHoard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts
  • LocationGA

Posted 16 July 2017 - 01:33 PM

Maybe he doesn't want to be known as a "gay director"?

• jaragon and rayban like this

#14 jaragon

jaragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 08:11 AM

Amenabar is best known for " The Others"(2001) and the Oscar winner " The Sea Inside" (2004).

He is gay  but his films have almost no homosexual content- even subtext- well maybe " Open Your Eyes" (1997).   After the failure of "Agora" (2009) he took a long break and did not make another film until "Regression" (2015); perhaps he was too busy having fun with his husband. Interesting that a modern out gay director has not made a gay theme movie?

• rayban likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users