We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Anthony Perkins as SOTM October 2017

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

There is nothing as bad as something not so bad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,505 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 11 August 2017 - 11:53 AM

I agree that Bela Lugosi should get honored as SOTM for October 2017. TCM seems to have quite a few of his films either via the public domain(the Monogram Pictures titles) or ones MGM owns like Mark of The Vampire. Then Bela did some Universal Films such as Dracula and Son Of Frankenstein along with some like The Raven and The Black Cat. TCM would have to license the Universal ones from Universal Pictures,so don't know if that would be a problem or not. However I would love a Bela Lugosi SOTM marathon! I enjoyed the Vincent Price one that was done 2 or 3 years ago on TCM around Halloween. It's time for Bela to get SOTM! :)

There has been 'difficulties' as it relates to TCM being able to lease films from Universal,  but these can be overcome on an 'as needed' basis.   Hopefully that will occur so Lugosi is SOTM in 2018.

#2 midnighttnr

midnighttnr

• TCM_allow
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationModesto,California,U.S.A.

Posted 10 August 2017 - 08:51 PM

I'm surprised we haven't found out by now. I am wondering if they're going to do another group one, like the character actors, covering an assortment of horror stars. It might be a way to finally honor Bela Lugosi around Halloween.

Last October the honoree was Christopher Lee. I suppose they could go with Peter Cushing this time around.

I'll update the thread title when we get word.

I agree that Bela Lugosi should get honored as SOTM for October 2017. TCM seems to have quite a few of his films either via the public domain(the Monogram Pictures titles) or ones MGM owns like Mark of The Vampire. Then Bela did some Universal Films such as Dracula and Son Of Frankenstein along with some like The Raven and The Black Cat. TCM would have to license the Universal ones from Universal Pictures,so don't know if that would be a problem or not. However I would love a Bela Lugosi SOTM marathon! I enjoyed the Vincent Price one that was done 2 or 3 years ago on TCM around Halloween. It's time for Bela to get SOTM! :)

Edited by midnighttnr, 10 August 2017 - 08:53 PM.

• TopBilled likes this

#3 TopBilled

TopBilled

Film Writing and Selected Journalism

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,575 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 03:44 PM

Yes, the schedule shows three Perkins films on the 13th, followed by unrelated films overnight.

Thanks for the prompt reply!

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#4 Barton_Keyes

Barton_Keyes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • LocationLeamington, Ontario

Posted 31 July 2017 - 03:42 PM

Does this mean the 13th only has three Tony Perkins movies?

Yes, the schedule shows three Perkins films on the 13th, followed by unrelated films overnight.

• TopBilled likes this

#5 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,575 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 03:37 PM

The TBD titles are now, in this order:

October 6

THE TIN STAR (1957)

October 13

FIVE MILES TO MIDNIGHT (1963)

PHAEDRA (1962)

October 27

PLAY IT AS IT LAYS (1972)

FEAR STRIKES OUT (1957)

Thanks Barton. Glad to see THE TIN STAR and FEAR STRIKES OUT included (Paramount titles). Does this mean the 13th only has three Tony Perkins movies?

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#6 Barton_Keyes

Barton_Keyes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 638 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 02:58 PM

Thanks jinsinna13. Glad to see him finally honored. Here's the tentative schedule. Several titles are still to be determined. Hopefully those will be from his contract years at Paramount.

October 6, 2017

THE ACTRESS with Jean Simmons

FRIENDLY PERSUASION with Gary Cooper

TBD

TALL STORY with Jane Fonda

October 13, 2017

TBD

TBD

TBD

GREEN MANSIONS with Audrey Hepburn

October 20, 2017

MAHOGANY with Diana Ross

WINTER KILLS with Jeff Bridges

THE LIFE AND TIMES OF JUDGE ROY BROWN with Paul Newman

REMEMBER MY NAME with Geraldine Chaplin

October 27, 2017

PSYCHO with Janet Leigh

PRETTY POISON with Tuesday Weld

TBD

TBD

THE TRIAL with Orson Welles

The TBD titles are now, in this order:

October 6

THE TIN STAR (1957)

October 13

FIVE MILES TO MIDNIGHT (1963)

PHAEDRA (1962)

October 27

PLAY IT AS IT LAYS (1972)

FEAR STRIKES OUT (1957)

• TopBilled likes this

#7 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,575 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 09:23 AM

Thanks jinsinna13. Glad to see him finally honored. Here's the tentative schedule. Several titles are still to be determined. Hopefully those will be from his contract years at Paramount.

screen-shot-2017-07-30-at-7-48-03-am.png

October 6, 2017

THE ACTRESS with Jean Simmons

FRIENDLY PERSUASION with Gary Cooper

TBD

TALL STORY with Jane Fonda

October 13, 2017

TBD

TBD

TBD

GREEN MANSIONS with Audrey Hepburn

October 20, 2017

MAHOGANY with Diana Ross

WINTER KILLS with Jeff Bridges

THE LIFE AND TIMES OF JUDGE ROY BROWN with Paul Newman

REMEMBER MY NAME with Geraldine Chaplin

October 27, 2017

PSYCHO with Janet Leigh

PRETTY POISON with Tuesday Weld

TBD

TBD

THE TRIAL with Orson Welles

#8 jinsinna13

jinsinna13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 09:03 AM

According to the thread October schedule is up, Anthony Perkins has been selected as SOTM.

My reaction: AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!  I'm so excited! But I guess I'm not the only one. Tab Hunter probably is, too.

Another interesting thing about Tony as SOTM. Tony and Robert Young are the only honorees of SOTM that have never had a SUTS day. I wonder what the reasoning behind that is.

• TopBilled and jinsinna13 like this

"Believe in what your heart is saying. Hear the melody that's playing. There's no time to waste. There's so much to celebrate. Believe in what you feel inside. And give your dreams the wings to fly. You have everything you need. If you just believe."  Josh Groban- "Believe"

#9 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,575 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 03:15 PM

I'd like to know who AMC honored for SOTM TCM didn't. Making comparisons would be interesting.

Another thing I'd like to point out. In my last post, I wrote SUTS is for stars who will never be SOTM. (Robert Vaughn, Roger Moore, Rod Taylor, etc.) But sadly, the "popular kids" (and many of them have been SOTM several times) are taking SUTS away from the stars who it's designed for. It's not fair, but it's the truth.

I would say a large portion of the programming focuses on household names-- the Katharine Hepburns, John Waynes and Cary Grants. But to be fair, TCM's programmers do include lesser known character actors and second-tier stars. It's just there are so many and everyone wants his/her favorite one to be honored.

#10 jinsinna13

jinsinna13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 02:51 PM

One thing that is never mentioned is how TCM did not invent the concept of Star of the Month. Just like Martha Stewart borrows from Betty Crocker and everything that came before her, TCM has borrowed things from the old AMC. And AMC had a Star of the Month during the 1980s and 1990s. You can find copies of AMC's early magazines with their various stars of the month on e-Bay. In fact it would be interesting if someone kept a record of which people AMC honored, because my guess is they featured Universal and Paramount stars that TCM never has. 

I'd like to know who AMC honored for SOTM TCM didn't. Making comparisons would be interesting.

Another thing I'd like to point out. In my last post, I wrote SUTS is for stars who will never be SOTM. (Robert Vaughn, Roger Moore, Rod Taylor, etc.) But sadly, the "popular kids" (and many of them have been SOTM several times) are taking SUTS away from the stars who it's designed for. It's not fair, but it's the truth.

"Believe in what your heart is saying. Hear the melody that's playing. There's no time to waste. There's so much to celebrate. Believe in what you feel inside. And give your dreams the wings to fly. You have everything you need. If you just believe."  Josh Groban- "Believe"

#11 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,575 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 08:05 AM

I agree with most of this. It makes sense for Robert Young to either be SOTM again or have a well deserved SUTS day. But you have to take stars who have never been SOTM into consideration, too.

Everyone should have at least some kind of tribute. It's true Robert Vaughn isn't as well known as Natalie Wood, but he is still well liked. (I never said Robert Vaughn should be SOTM. I only used him as an example of someone who I can't remember the last time his films were played on TCM.)  With that being said, I agree SUTS is a better place to honor Vaughn. SUTS is for stars who we all know will never be SOTM, like Vaughn, Roger Moore, Rod Taylor, etc.

I'm actually glad the October schedule didn't come out early. We had A LOT to talk about.

One thing that is never mentioned is how TCM did not invent the concept of Star of the Month. Just like Martha Stewart borrows from Betty Crocker and everything that came before her, TCM has borrowed things from the old AMC. And AMC had a Star of the Month during the 1980s and 1990s. You can find copies of AMC's early magazines with their various stars of the month on e-Bay. In fact it would be interesting if someone kept a record of which people AMC honored, because my guess is they featured Universal and Paramount stars that TCM never has. 

• lydecker likes this

#12 jinsinna13

jinsinna13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 07:20 AM

There are only 24 hours in a day.   That means around 10 or so movies per day.    Anytime anyone is featured it means others can't be, due to time constraints.   

As for "Robert Vaughn has a lot of fans';    popularity is relative.     I doubt that Vaughn is known by 1\10 as many people as Natalie.  But I do agree that the number of fans a star has shouldn't be the primary criteria for TCM doing a tribute or not.

To me Vaughn doesn't deserve any tribute because he wasn't a above the billing actor and he wasn't in enough solid studio-era films.    Maybe SUTS at best.   (same with Roger Moore who also recently passed).

Robert Young was SOTM in Feb. 1996,  so yea,  having him again makes sense (but Monroe and Bando have never been SOTM so that has to be taken into consideration).      It all comes down to choices and decisions and if I was head of programming I would struggle to make them.

I agree with most of this. It makes sense for Robert Young to either be SOTM again or have a well deserved SUTS day. But you have to take stars who have never been SOTM into consideration, too.

Everyone should have at least some kind of tribute. It's true Robert Vaughn isn't as well known as Natalie Wood, but he is still well liked. (I never said Robert Vaughn should be SOTM. I only used him as an example of someone who I can't remember the last time his films were played on TCM.)  With that being said, I agree SUTS is a better place to honor Vaughn. SUTS is for stars who we all know will never be SOTM, like Vaughn, Roger Moore, Rod Taylor, etc.

I'm actually glad the October schedule didn't come out early. We had A LOT to talk about.

• jamesjazzguitar, lydecker and TopBilled like this

#13 lydecker

lydecker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,348 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 23 July 2017 - 09:02 PM

I'm guessing that the October schedule has been delayed because the programmers have been considering moving the weekly Noir Alley feature to a different time slot -- midnight on either Friday or Saturday -- which might mean some rejigging of other programming as well.

Just a hunch, but I know that it's something the programming team is thinking about.

I did get a TCM Survey discussing the possibility of changing the air time of Noir Alley.  For my money, it should be running at 8 PM on a week night, not Sunday at 10 AM or Midnight Friday or Saturday.

#14 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,575 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 06:20 PM

There are only 24 hours in a day.   That means around 10 or so movies per day.    Anytime anyone is featured it means others can't be, due to time constraints.   

As for "Robert Vaughn has a lot of fans';    popularity is relative.     I doubt that Vaughn is known by 1\10 as many people as Natalie.  But I do agree that the number of fans a star has shouldn't be the primary criteria for TCM doing a tribute or not.

To me Vaughn doesn't deserve any tribute because he wasn't a above the billing actor and he wasn't in enough solid studio-era films.    Maybe SUTS at best.   (same with Roger Moore who also recently passed).

Robert Young was SOTM in Feb. 1996,  so yea,  having him again makes sense (but Monroe and Bando have never been SOTM so that has to be taken into consideration).      It all comes down to choices and decisions and if I was head of programming I would struggle to make them.

It did seem interesting how Robert Redford (a "newer" star) became Star of the Month on TCM before Brando. 

I am not against people getting second and third turns, if TCM uses the occasion to bring in more 'outside' films. For instance, Robert Young's last feature was a great Paramount adventure film with Charlton Heston called SECRET OF THE INCAS. I don't think TCM has ever aired it, so making him SOTM would be a good excuse/opportunity to screen it.

#15 Barton_Keyes

Barton_Keyes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 638 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 06:19 PM

I'm guessing that the October schedule has been delayed because the programmers have been considering moving the weekly Noir Alley feature to a different time slot -- midnight on either Friday or Saturday -- which might mean some rejigging of other programming as well.

Just a hunch, but I know that it's something the programming team is thinking about.

#16 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

There is nothing as bad as something not so bad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,505 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 23 July 2017 - 06:15 PM

Speaking of Natalie Wood, she just had a birthday tribute this week. I'm a fan of Natalie, so I can see where that comes into play. But I can also see the other side of things. Neglecting other stars just to give another tribute to Natalie (or to any of the other "popular kids" for that matter) isn't right. I hate to say this, but it doesn't matter if a star has a lot of fans either. Robert Vaughn has a lot of fans, but when was the last time any of his films were played on TCM? Exactly.

TopBilled, at this point I'd be okay with a non horror star being chosen. Robert Young deserves to be SOTM again. But I could also see someone like Tony Perkins (who did some horror films) as SOTM.

#17 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,575 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 06:06 PM

Speaking of Natalie Wood, she just had a birthday tribute this week. I'm a fan of Natalie, so I can see where that comes into play. But I can also see the other side of things. Neglecting other stars just to give another tribute to Natalie (or to any of the other "popular kids" for that matter) isn't right. I hate to say this, but it doesn't matter if a star has a lot of fans either. Robert Vaughn has a lot of fans, but when was the last time any of his films were played on TCM? Exactly.

TopBilled, at this point I'd be okay with a non horror star being chosen. Robert Young deserves to be SOTM again. But I could also see someone like Tony Perkins (who did some horror films) as SOTM.

We're heading into the final week of July-- so hopefully we'll get the October schedule info soon.

I know it sounds funny to be worrying about movies on TCM in October when we're in the middle of summer, but usually the info is published three months in advance.

#18 jinsinna13

jinsinna13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 02:51 PM

Another one Robert pushed a lot was Natalie Wood. And she has many fans. So people benefited from the birthday tributes, SUTS tributes and SOTM celebrations. But it shouldn't come at the expense of neglecting other favorites. We could write a book about that.

In a way I am almost hoping they don't pick a horror star this October and go for someone like Robert Young who deserves an honest reappraisal.

• lydecker and TopBilled like this

#19 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,575 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 11:50 AM

I have to wonder if the choice of SOTM and SUTS plus all of the assorted stars who get BD tributes constantly was driven a bit by Robert Osborne.  Clearly he had his "favorites" which seemed to have less to do with their talent (in some cases) and more to do with how "available" they had made themselves to him back in his first Hollywood days (long before The Hollywood Reporter and TCM.) I think that is why we had Esther Williams tributes far too often along with hefty doses of Ernest Borgnine (who I can really take or leave) and some others I could name.  I started to think George Sanders had blown off or insulted Osborne "back in the day" because I could find no other plausible reason for why Sanders was routinely ignored, especially considering he appeared in many films which were already in the TCM library.  Though I certainly valued RO and will miss him, perhaps his passing will allow for a much-needed "re-start" when it comes to the selection of worthy SOTMs and SUTS.  There will always be way too much of Wayne, Grant, Hepburn and Davis (all of whom I admire but they get way too many tributes in comparison to some others) because the powers that be at TCM feel that they are extremely marketable but, it's time to give the Robert Youngs and Una Merkels their moment in the sun, too.

Another one Robert pushed a lot was Natalie Wood. And she has many fans. So people benefited from the birthday tributes, SUTS tributes and SOTM celebrations. But it shouldn't come at the expense of neglecting other favorites. We could write a book about that.

In a way I am almost hoping they don't pick a horror star this October and go for someone like Robert Young who deserves an honest reappraisal. 

• lydecker likes this

#20 lydecker

lydecker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,348 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 22 July 2017 - 10:28 AM

You are correct. Robert Young was SOTM in 1995.

After watching TCM awhile, I've noticed certain stars get every tribute possible handed to them on a silver platter while others get no love at all. I was actually shocked Robert Young never got honored with a SUTS day. (Like you, I'd like to see Young's films, which he made before starring on Father Knows Best.) What's worse is Young has never had a birthday tribute on TCM because his birthday falls during 31 Days of Oscar. (His birthday is February 22nd.) The "popular kids" (John Wayne, Cary Grant, etc) of TCM should move aside once in awhile.

I have to wonder if the choice of SOTM and SUTS plus all of the assorted stars who get BD tributes constantly was driven a bit by Robert Osborne.  Clearly he had his "favorites" which seemed to have less to do with their talent (in some cases) and more to do with how "available" they had made themselves to him back in his first Hollywood days (long before The Hollywood Reporter and TCM.) I think that is why we had Esther Williams tributes far too often along with hefty doses of Ernest Borgnine (who I can really take or leave) and some others I could name.  I started to think George Sanders had blown off or insulted Osborne "back in the day" because I could find no other plausible reason for why Sanders was routinely ignored, especially considering he appeared in many films which were already in the TCM library.  Though I certainly valued RO and will miss him, perhaps his passing will allow for a much-needed "re-start" when it comes to the selection of worthy SOTMs and SUTS.  There will always be way too much of Wayne, Grant, Hepburn and Davis (all of whom I admire but they get way too many tributes in comparison to some others) because the powers that be at TCM feel that they are extremely marketable but, it's time to give the Robert Youngs and Una Merkels their moment in the sun, too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users