We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Anthony Perkins as SOTM October 2017

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#21 TopBilled

TopBilled

Film Writing and Selected Journalism

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,553 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 10:15 AM

You are correct. Robert Young was SOTM in 1995.

After watching TCM awhile, I've noticed certain stars get every tribute possible handed to them on a silver platter while others get no love at all. I was actually shocked Robert Young never got honored with a SUTS day. (Like you, I'd like to see Young's films, which he made before starring on Father Knows Best.) What's worse is Young has never had a birthday tribute on TCM because his birthday falls during 31 Days of Oscar. (His birthday is February 22nd.) The "popular kids" (John Wayne, Cary Grant, etc) of TCM should move aside once in awhile.

Yes, I think this is how some stars get forgotten. It's not right. 

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#22 jinsinna13

jinsinna13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 09:37 AM

Poor Robert Young gets no respect!!  I think he was SOTM way back in the early, early days of TCM but no significant salutes since then.  I'd rather see his films than a lot of other stars (the non-stop Esther Williams tributes come to mind) and he should definitely be a SUTS designee one of these days. Perhaps they could skip John Wayne, Katharine Hepburn just once????

You are correct. Robert Young was SOTM in 1995.

After watching TCM awhile, I've noticed certain stars get every tribute possible handed to them on a silver platter while others get no love at all. I was actually shocked Robert Young never got honored with a SUTS day. (Like you, I'd like to see Young's films, which he made before starring on Father Knows Best.) What's worse is Young has never had a birthday tribute on TCM because his birthday falls during 31 Days of Oscar. (His birthday is February 22nd.) The "popular kids" (John Wayne, Cary Grant, etc) of TCM should move aside once in awhile.

• TopBilled likes this

"Believe in what your heart is saying. Hear the melody that's playing. There's no time to waste. There's so much to celebrate. Believe in what you feel inside. And give your dreams the wings to fly. You have everything you need. If you just believe."  Josh Groban- "Believe"

#23 lydecker

lydecker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,348 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 22 July 2017 - 07:11 AM

I didn't realize Robert Young never had a SUTS tribute. That's interesting. Eighty percent of his film output was at Metro, meaning it's in the TCM library. He's an easy one for them to give a 24 hour retrospective or to repeat as SOTM, especially since his last turn was over twenty years ago.

Poor Robert Young gets no respect!!  I think he was SOTM way back in the early, early days of TCM but no significant salutes since then.  I'd rather see his films than a lot of other stars (the non-stop Esther Williams tributes come to mind) and he should definitely be a SUTS designee one of these days. Perhaps they could skip John Wayne, Katharine Hepburn just once????

• TopBilled likes this

#24 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,553 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 08:47 AM

Watch, George Sanders IS SOTM. That would really be something.

Well he did make a few horror films. LOL But since he's receiving a SUTS day in late August, I don't think they'll make him SOTM just yet.

I didn't realize Robert Young never had a SUTS tribute. That's interesting. Eighty percent of his film output was at Metro, meaning it's in the TCM library. He's an easy one for them to give a 24 hour retrospective or to repeat as SOTM, especially since his last turn was over twenty years ago.

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#25 jinsinna13

jinsinna13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 07:19 AM

The only SOTM I can think of that has never been honored for SUTS is Robert Young. His time as SOTM was back in '95, three years before he passed away. I wonder what the reasoning behind that is.

There seems to be a pattern if you go back through old TCM programming notes. They usually feature someone in a primetime spotlight (which Perkins has had); then they get a SUTS tribute; then eventually a turn as SOTM. We saw this with Shirley Temple, despite the fact a lot of films were at Fox. And I am hopeful that since George Sanders had a primetime tribute and is now part of SUTS in August that he will be a SOTM before the end of the decade.

So for Perkins, we have to push for him to get a day in August. Then the rest can follow.

I have "pushing" (more like suggesting) for Tony Perkins to get a SUTS day. The closest Tony has been honored on TCM (and not constantly being ignored as usual) is a primetime spotlight and a birthday tribute (April 4th is Tony's birthday) that lasts 14 hours.

Believe me, we're not the only ones "pushing" for a Tony Perkins SUTS day. Tab Hunter probably is, too. ;)

"Believe in what your heart is saying. Hear the melody that's playing. There's no time to waste. There's so much to celebrate. Believe in what you feel inside. And give your dreams the wings to fly. You have everything you need. If you just believe."  Josh Groban- "Believe"

#26 jinsinna13

jinsinna13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 07:12 AM

I hope you are right about George Sanders finally getting to be SOTM sometime soon.  This is long overdue!!! 

Watch, George Sanders IS SOTM. That would really be something.

• TopBilled likes this

#27 lydecker

lydecker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,348 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 18 July 2017 - 09:00 PM

There seems to be a pattern if you go back through old TCM programming notes. They usually feature someone in a primetime spotlight (which Perkins has had); then they get a SUTS tribute; then eventually a turn as SOTM. We saw this with Shirley Temple, despite the fact a lot of films were at Fox. And I am hopeful that since George Sanders had a primetime tribute and is now part of SUTS in August that he will be a SOTM before the end of the decade.

So for Perkins, we have to push for him to get a day in August. Then the rest can follow.

I hope you are right about George Sanders finally getting to be SOTM sometime soon.  This is long overdue!!! 

• TopBilled likes this

#28 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,553 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 03:15 PM

I like the idea of Perkins as SOTM.    A lot can depend on who has the copyrights to those films.   E.g. for  films in the Turner library leasing these films is a straight forward process,  but otherwise this can be the main reason why an actor has never been selected as SOTM;  e.g. Bando and Monroe.

• jamesjazzguitar likes this

#29 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

There is nothing as bad as something not so bad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,496 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 18 July 2017 - 02:53 PM

That's why I suggested Tony Perkins. It's true he did do some horror films. But the majority of his films, like On The Beach and Desire Under The Elms, aren't. If Tony is chosen (but this is doubtful), Halloween itself could be devoted to his horror movies, and the rest of the month could be his non horror movies. Everyone wins this way.

It is also pathetic how Tony constantly gets ignored. Tony has never had a SUTS day while people like Judy Garland and John Wayne have a SUTS day every other year. Sad, but true.

I like the idea of Perkins as SOTM.    A lot can depend on who has the copyrights to those films.   E.g. for  films in the Turner library leasing these films is a straight forward process,  but otherwise this can be the main reason why an actor has never been selected as SOTM;  e.g. Bando and Monroe.

#30 jinsinna13

jinsinna13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 01:20 PM

Hey, I get it.  But they could still "Spotlight" Horror even if they had a non-horror SOTM.  Seems to me that it would give them more to market, not less.  Different strokes for different folks . . . The way it's currently handled we get a double dose of horror whether you like it or not.  Also, severely limits the SOTM choices for October.

That's why I suggested Tony Perkins. It's true he did do some horror films. But the majority of his films, like On The Beach and Desire Under The Elms, aren't. If Tony is chosen (but this is doubtful), Halloween itself could be devoted to his horror movies, and the rest of the month could be his non horror movies. Everyone wins this way.

It is also pathetic how Tony constantly gets ignored. Tony has never had a SUTS day while people like Judy Garland and John Wayne have a SUTS day every other year. Sad, but true.

• TopBilled likes this

#31 lydecker

lydecker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,348 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 18 July 2017 - 12:53 PM

I agree with this. But I think the reason they do it is because it's easier to market if they make a lot of the October programming focused on the horror genre including the SOTM. Like December focuses primarily on the Christmas holidays.

They can still provide a bit of variety by doing a spotlight on something unrelated to horror. In years past we had the Jewish image series and the spotlight on women in film.

Hey, I get it.  But they could still "Spotlight" Horror even if they had a non-horror SOTM.  Seems to me that it would give them more to market, not less.  Different strokes for different folks . . . The way it's currently handled we get a double dose of horror whether you like it or not.  Also, severely limits the SOTM choices for October.

#32 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,553 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 09:19 AM

Why does the SOTM for October have to be an actor associated with horror films?  I swear, this has only been the case in recent years.  It is so limiting!  I'd much prefer the selection of an interesting and deserving actor/actress who has had nothing to do with horror. Clearly, TCM is going to air horror films in October.  Why do they have to "double up" and make both the Spotlight and the SOTM "horror-centric?"

I agree with this. But I think the reason they do it is because it's easier to market if they make a lot of the October programming focused on the horror genre including the SOTM. Like December focuses primarily on the Christmas holidays.

They can still provide a bit of variety by doing a spotlight on something unrelated to horror. In years past we had the Jewish image series and the spotlight on women in film.

#33 lydecker

lydecker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,348 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 18 July 2017 - 08:05 AM

Why does the SOTM for October have to be an actor associated with horror films?  I swear, this has only been the case in recent years.  It is so limiting!  I'd much prefer the selection of an interesting and deserving actor/actress who has had nothing to do with horror. Clearly, TCM is going to air horror films in October.  Why do they have to "double up" and make both the Spotlight and the SOTM "horror-centric?"

• jamesjazzguitar likes this

#34 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,553 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 07:52 AM

Oh, I absolutely agree. There could only be one reason for Tony not being chosen because not many of his films are in the TCM library. Tony has also never been selected for SUTS either, so I wonder what the reasoning behind that is.

Yes, probably because many of his films are owned by Paramount and Universal. But he did make ones at other studios, plus a fair number of independent European films. He should at least have a SUTS day.

I should also point out that looking over previous SOTM honorees, TCM does not always select a horror star in October. 

#35 jinsinna13

jinsinna13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 07:23 AM

Yes, Tony Perkins would be an excellent choice. They could show the original PSYCHO and the sequels that were made in the 80s. He was in all of them.

Oh, I absolutely agree. There could only be one reason for Tony not being chosen because not many of his films are in the TCM library. Tony has also never been selected for SUTS either, so I wonder what the reasoning behind that is.

#36 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Watchman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,107 posts
  • LocationThe Wild Frontier

Posted 17 July 2017 - 08:26 PM

One that's been frequently requested, and as far as I know has never been SOTM, is Bela Lugosi.

• TopBilled and CountessDracula like this

#37 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,553 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 08:21 PM

I'd be okay with Peter Cushing. I haven't seen many of his movies (other than Star Wars, which I doubt they'll show), so SOTM would be a nice way of getting to know him.

TopBilled, you and I mentioned this in another thread months ago, but Anthony Perkins would be a good choice for SOTM in October. The last night should be on Halloween, (which falls on a Tuesday this year) and Psycho should be played on Halloween. What can be better than watching Norman Bates while eating too much Halloween candy on Halloween night?

Yes, Tony Perkins would be an excellent choice. They could show the original PSYCHO and the sequels that were made in the 80s. He was in all of them.

#38 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

There is nothing as bad as something not so bad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,496 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 17 July 2017 - 06:57 PM

I'd be okay with Peter Cushing. I haven't seen many of his movies (other than Star Wars, which I doubt they'll show), so SOTM would be a nice way of getting to know him.

TopBilled, you and I mentioned this in another thread months ago, but Anthony Perkins would be a good choice for SOTM in October. The last night should be on Halloween, (which falls on a Tuesday this year) and Psycho should be played on Halloween. What can be better than watching Norman Bates while eating too much Halloween candy on Halloween night?

I always eat Chicken, Quail,  Pheasant or some other type of fowl when watching Psycho.

• film lover 293 likes this

#39 jinsinna13

jinsinna13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 06:25 PM

I'm surprised we haven't found out by now. I am wondering if they're going to do another group one, like the character actors, covering an assortment of horror stars. It might be a way to finally honor Bela Lugosi around Halloween.

Last October the honoree was Christopher Lee. I suppose they could go with Peter Cushing this time around.

I'll update the thread title when we get word.

• TopBilled likes this

#40 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,553 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 10:02 AM

I'm surprised we haven't found out by now. I am wondering if they're going to do another group one, like the character actors, covering an assortment of horror stars. It might be a way to finally honor Bela Lugosi around Halloween.

Last October the honoree was Christopher Lee. I suppose they could go with Peter Cushing this time around.

I'll update the thread title when we get word.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users