We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Angels in America at the National Theatre in London

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Swithin

Swithin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,252 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 18 July 2017 - 08:25 AM

I know you see a lot of theater, but this sounds really special. What's the deal with NT Live? Is it one of those closed-circuit broadcast things to different venues? I'd love to catch this. The cast sounds really solid. I'm glad Nathan Lane is taking roles like this. PBS showed ​The Nance ​as part of Live From Lincoln Center not too long ago and he gave a stunning performance.

NT Live is a process whereby plays at the National Theatre in London are transmitted to movie theaters in the UK and US, to audiences who pay to see them, like movies. The dates are publicized well in advance. The cost is a bit more than a movie, but much less than a play. I know friends in NYC are planning to see them soon.

Because the National Theatre has the infrastructure, sometimes they are hired to transmit other theaters' plays as well.

Here's the link, go to "Find a Venue," put in your country, city, then you'll see the venues available to you. Actually, some of the theaters in the U.S. seem to be showing Part I on July 20; Part II on July 27. But search around your area.

http://ntlive.nation...e.org.uk/venues

• DougieB and rayban like this

#2 DougieB

DougieB

I Love Melvin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,697 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 06:50 AM

I know you see a lot of theater, but this sounds really special. What's the deal with NT Live? Is it one of those closed-circuit broadcast things to different venues? I'd love to catch this. The cast sounds really solid. I'm glad Nathan Lane is taking roles like this. PBS showed ​The Nance ​as part of Live From Lincoln Center not too long ago and he gave a stunning performance.

• Swithin and rayban like this

"When Fortuna spins you downward, go out to a movie and get more out of life."...Ignatious J. Reilly, A Confederacy of Dunces

#3 Swithin

Swithin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,252 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 17 July 2017 - 12:48 PM

Last week, I saw Angels in America at the National Theatre in London. Each of the two plays is a remarkable, thrilling production/performance, with fine actors, including Andrew Garfield as Prior Walter; Nathan Lane as Roy Cohn; Russell Tovey as Joseph Pitt; and James McArdle as Louis Ironson. Each of these actors is nothing short of magnificent. The first play -- Millennium Approaches -- is probably the better play and runs 3 1/2 hours. Perestroika, the second play, runs 4 1/2 hours and is great theater, though as a play not as well put together as the first, though it has fine scenes, language, and performances.

I had seen the previous production at the National, back in 1992 and 1993 (each play was done a year apart). I think this production is richer and still timely, sadly, in so many ways.

The plays will be screened as part of NT Live in the United States, next month I think. I highly recommend them.

34373611701_2ebc6e3bff_b.jpg

Two of Britain's best young actors: Russell Tovey and James McArdle

Angels-in-America-Part-Two-Perestroika.j

Nathan Lane and Nathan Stewart-Jarrett, both perfect

TELEMMGLPICT000127386106-large_trans_NvB

Andrew Garfield, who is brilliant

• DougieB, ChristineHoard, LawrenceA and 1 other like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users