We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Questions for Alexandre Philippe for August 1st Shindig

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#21 dzit

dzit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 12:37 PM

What director(s) today provide pure suspense films like Hitchcock, not just sensationalism cinematography?

• melkirsch likes this

#22 zcamenker

zcamenker

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 12:15 PM

I watched you twice on TCM with Ben Mankiewicz and agree with you that ROPE is one of Hitch's best films. I myself find it one of his most underrated and VERTIGO one of his most overrated. What are your feelings toward VERTIGO being consistently ranked as Hitch's best film?

#23 Jon Severino

Jon Severino

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 12:15 PM

1. What's with all the trains?

2. Can these films be thought of as love stories with a metaphorical suspense story making their whole plots into a MacGuffin?

3. There's several Shakespeare quotes in Hitch's work. Are these passing or was Hitch heavily influenced by The Bard?

#24 AleGa

AleGa

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 12:00 PM

In this course, I have learned a lot of new things about Hitchcock and I am amazed by his creativity an his willingness to experiment and take risks. I am an audiovisual communicator and I know how it is to work according certain boundaries in terms of standard premises, concepts or expectations as part of the production of, for example, a short film or a screenplay. That is why I admire the confidence Hitchcock shows in many of the interviews we saw in this course regarding all the innovations and new ideas he brought to the cinema from the early periods of his career. So, I was wondering, If there is an interview, letter or statement made by Hitchcock in which he expresses that personal fear of going beyond those boundaries and how he solved that in order to stand firm to his convictions.

• riffraf likes this

#25 riffraf

riffraf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 31 July 2017 - 10:54 AM

Greetings Mr. Philippe and Professor Edwards,

Knowing that the shower scene in Psycho was such an elaborate accomplishment with so many camera set-ups, unique editing cuts and then married so well to the soundtrack, I'm wondering if the edited version of the scene was made first and then given to Bernard Herrmann to score or was there some back-and-forth, "make the image fit the music or more music fit the image"?  They are so well synced there must have been some artistic communication between the editor and the composer.  Thank you, Ron Ferguson

• tshawcross, efederman, Mandroid51 and 3 others like this

#26 Wndrgmom

Wndrgmom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationLake Elsinore, CA

Posted 31 July 2017 - 10:48 AM

I"ve seen on the credits a few times Pat Hitchcock as appearing. Strangers on a Train was one. What part did she play? I assume this was Hitch's daughter. And we don't hear a lot about the "family life" at home with Alma during especially his Universal Years.  They only had the 1 daughter; so what was Alma doing? Thanks for a great Hitchcock Education. 

• melkirsch likes this

#27 virtualmelia

virtualmelia

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 10:44 AM

What opinion do you have on Hitchcock's alternate British version of Strangers on a Train?

#28 spotter52

spotter52

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 10:12 AM

I remember seeing an interview with Hitch many years ago where he disdained clever camera shots that were not realistic. The example he gave was a shot looking into a room from inside a fireplace with the flames visible in the foreground. To him there was no reason to have a POV shot like this as it doesn't represent a realistic perspective. Do you think Hitch always adhered to this philosophy in his own films?

#29 spotter52

spotter52

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 10:04 AM

I've noticed a recurring shot in many of Hitch's films is a straight down view of a staircase usually with peoples hands visible on the handrails. Other than being an interesting shot angle what is the significance (if any) of these shots for Hitch?

#30 pete23

pete23

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco , CA

Posted 31 July 2017 - 09:59 AM

Vertigo is often quoted as Hitch's greatest film. How much do you think the San Francisco locations enchance the visual effects or is it irrelevant because it looked like a travelogue? Does that apply to the famous locations used?
  • melkirsch likes this

#31 JamesRusso

JamesRusso

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 31 July 2017 - 09:40 AM

Casting Sean Connery right after he had done the first James Bond film, Dr. No, as the lead in Marnie was a courageous move on Hitchcock's part. Since we know from analyzing how Hitchcock used stars in his films, do you think Hitchcock was trying play with audience expectations of Sean Connery's on-screen persona in Marnie ?  By casting Connery in the role of a man who struggles to help a woman who is suffering emotionally and mentally, he seemed almost to be saying to the audience you thought this was going to be an adventure/romance film like Dr. No where Connery(007) wins the girl's love right away in the first few minutes of the film.

• melkirsch likes this

#32 nancykhoke@gmail.com

nancykhoke@gmail.com

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 09:31 AM

Is the start time 1pm est? 

#33 nancykhoke@gmail.com

nancykhoke@gmail.com

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 09:31 AM

Greetings and thank you for so much for a great experience. Would you please discuss Anthony Perkins role in Psycho. What was his relationship with Hitchcock? Was he involved in the shower scene? I have always felt for him as an actor for while it is an incredible piece of work I believe it stopped his career from moving forward. The part was so readily identified with him it handicapped him.  Nancy K.  

• Konradnv likes this

#34 Phillip Marlowe

Phillip Marlowe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 09:23 AM

If Mr Hitchcock were to make the movie Psycho today, do you think he would make a vastly different movie or still make the same film?  In particular, how might the shower scene be filmed differently.

#35 shbryan

shbryan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 09:18 AM

Like everyone, I would love to know where/when/how I can view Mr. Philippe's film.  It sounds so intriguing, and I do love "Psycho".  Thanks.

#36 lizzya

lizzya

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 08:47 AM

My question is for both Dr. Edwards and Mr. Philippe.

If you had to pick one Hitchcock movie as your favorite, which one would it be and why?

- Lauren Applegren

#37 MikeKael

MikeKael

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 08:35 AM

Alexandre,
Thank you so much for making 78/52, which I have seen twice now.
I'm just wondering why you didn't get into the whole Saul Bass controversy about how much he contributed to the shower scene?
Respectfully,
Michael
  • Jimmy L. likes this

#38 TonyCow

TonyCow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 08:19 AM

Hi Alexandre: I really enjoyed your discussions with Ben before all the Hitchcock movies last week. I have see most of his movies at least 10 times including his silent films and your pre and post move discussions were quite enlightening. I actually have a personal question? Are you one of my fellow Canadians? I grew up just north of Montreal and am curious as to whether you are from Quebec, Eastern Ontario or New Brunswick? 

Tony Cowan

Vancouver, B.C. 

#39 Mandroid51

Mandroid51

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 08:05 AM

Hello Alexandre Phillipe. Hello again Dr. Edwards! I just wanted to ask what was the biggest draw or motivation for making 78/52? As a filmmaker this interests me very much. I know all too well of the challenges filmmakers face so congrats on it's completion and thank you for being a part of this massive online course. Continued success!

Sincerely,
David
  • riffraf likes this

#40 dittietwin

dittietwin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 07:33 AM

To both Dr. Edwards and Mr. Philippe:

Whom would you consider a "current Hitchcock-type director today?  I think M. Night Shayamalan comes close due to the way he creates a life/relationship story amongst his characters within the story line of the movie; he tends to set his movies in the outdoors; he also lets the viewer see the mystery while we watch the characters figure out a resolve; and I notice now he also adds MacGuffins in his films, and of course, he appears in his films.  Your thoughts?

Thank you for sharing your love and enthusiasm for Hitchcock!  I'm going to miss this class!

• melkirsch and CathSK like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users