We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

OCTOBER SCHEDULE IS UP

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 midwestan

midwestan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 821 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted Today, 02:03 PM

Oops, I was having trouble with posting-had to keep resorting to the "autosaved" version. Notice all the empty space at the end of the post....

My sentence actually said: 

Carson elevates every role of the picture he's in-I especially like MILDRED PIERCE and CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF.

Carson was also pretty good in "A Star is Born" (1954 version) and "Roughly Speaking" (with Rosalind Russell).  I wonder if he's had a Summer Under The Stars day on TCM?  Leslie Caron was a first-timer this year, which is a bit of a surprise, considering TCM has done this now for 11 or 12 years.

#2 TikiSoo

TikiSoo

sprockethole

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,982 posts
  • LocationSyracuse, NY

Posted Today, 05:12 AM

Oops, I was having trouble with posting-had to keep resorting to the "autosaved" version. Notice all the empty space at the end of the post....

My sentence actually said: 

Carson elevates every role of the picture he's in-I especially like MILDRED PIERCE and CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF.

• speedracer5 and midwestan like this

#3 speedracer5

speedracer5

Errol Flynn's girlfriend in a parallel universe,back in time

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,621 posts
  • LocationForest Grove, Oregon

Posted Yesterday, 02:14 PM

I also recommend the two BLACKULA movies on 10/14. They're fun if you're into 70's blacksploitation film as I am plus added horror element. Stars haughty William Marshall as Blackula, who will forever be immortalized in plastic as action figure Pee-Wee Herman's King Of Cartoons.

Speedy: 

You'll enjoy the Val Lewton evening, especially 1944's CURSE OF THE CAT PEOPLE, a surprisingly excellent sequel. If you ever get the chance to see a 35mm print of this....DO IT! An amazing, engrossing experience-especially in a big classic vintage theater.

I recorded 7 FACES OF DR LAO a long time ago from high recommendations on this board. I love fantasy movies & Tony Randall, I just can't get into it. Please tell me it picks up and if you liked it.

I'm a big Jack Carson fan too & have been slowly collecting his movies. Most are meh, but he's great in all of them. Carson's best as smiling & dancing goof but is heartbreaking in dramatic roles. I always thought that was true for a certain "type" like Lon Chaney Jr, Alan Hale and to a certain extent, Broderick Crawford. Maybe it's an Irish thing?

Carson elevates every role of the picture he's in-I especially like MILDRED PIERCE and 

I've seen Curse of the Cat People! I didn't like it as much as Cat People, maybe the second film deserves a re-watch. I haven't seen the other Lewton films yet, but I did pick up the TCM Val Lewton 4-movie collection a while back.  

I like Tony Randall and Barbara Eden so I'm looking forward to The 7 Faces of Dr. Lao.  I'll be the first one to admit that science fiction, fantasy and horror are not my favorite genres, so there really has to be something in the film that makes me: 1) Want to watch it and 2) keeps me entertained. 

Jack Carson deserves to be more well known than he is.  Perhaps if he'd been more classically handsome, then he'd have been cast as the romantic lead in the film as opposed to the romantic lead's best friend.  However, perhaps the boisterous supporting man is Carson's niche.  He is very versatile.  I think he deserved to be nominated for Best Supporting Actor for Mildred Pierce.  In many ways, Carson reminds me a lot of Eve Arden, except obviously, he's male.  I also really liked him in The Strawberry Blonde.  I also thought he was really great in The Hard Way.    

You didn't finish your statement: "Carson elevates every role of the picture he's in-I especially like MILDRED PIERCE and" ...

So I'll finish it.  "Especially like MILDRED PIERCE and... Gentleman Jim" ! 

I think Carson is really great in Gentleman Jim.  He provides excellent support to Errol Flynn and along with Alan Hale, he provides great comic relief.  

Jack Carson drinks man's drink at party

STUFFY OLYMPIC CLUB MEMBER: "That is my drink."

CARSON: "It is? Well this one must be mine!" 

Carson drinks other drink at bar

I also really like the scene when Flynn and Carson wake up (hungover)  in Salt Lake City after an all night bender. 

"It's not an old movie if you haven't seen it." -Lauren Bacall

"A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down your pants." -Ted Baxter on "The Mary Tyler Moore Show"

Proud member of:

dxmdyx.png

My classic movie and television blog:

Whimsically Classic

https://whimsicallyc....wordpress.com/

#4 TikiSoo

TikiSoo

sprockethole

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,982 posts
  • LocationSyracuse, NY

Posted Yesterday, 08:55 AM

I also recommend the two BLACKULA movies on 10/14. They're fun if you're into 70's blacksploitation film as I am plus added horror element. Stars haughty William Marshall as Blackula, who will forever be immortalized in plastic as action figure Pee-Wee Herman's King Of Cartoons.

Speedy: 

You'll enjoy the Val Lewton evening, especially 1944's CURSE OF THE CAT PEOPLE, a surprisingly excellent sequel. If you ever get the chance to see a 35mm print of this....DO IT! An amazing, engrossing experience-especially in a big classic vintage theater.

I recorded 7 FACES OF DR LAO a long time ago from high recommendations on this board. I love fantasy movies & Tony Randall, I just can't get into it. Please tell me it picks up and if you liked it.

I'm a big Jack Carson fan too & have been slowly collecting his movies. Most are meh, but he's great in all of them. Carson's best as smiling & dancing goof but is heartbreaking in dramatic roles. I always thought that was true for a certain "type" like Lon Chaney Jr, Alan Hale and to a certain extent, Broderick Crawford. Maybe it's an Irish thing?

Carson elevates every role of the picture he's in-I especially like MILDRED PIERCE and 

• speedracer5 likes this

#5 EricJ

EricJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,045 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 05:43 AM

I just finally got around to looking at the October Schedule! 

SOTM Anthony Perkins is an interesting choice.  I think I've only ever seen him in three films: Psycho, Green Mansions and On the Beach.  I thought he was really good in Psycho and On the Beach.  Green Mansions was a weird movie, so I can't really remember much about Perkins to make an assessment. .

You probably just haven't noticed him in other films, like Murder on the Orient Express, The Black Hole, Catch-22, or Orson Welles' The Trial.

Perkins even played his role in Psycho II with surprising sympathy, even though there were a hundred campy directions it could have gone.

• TopBilled likes this
Let's start a revolution: http://movieactivist.blogspot.com

#6 HoldenIsHere

HoldenIsHere

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,061 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 10:46 PM

The blank spots on some of the Anthony Perkins Star Of Month days have now been filled in.

There's THE TIN STAR on October 6 with Perkins and Henry Fonda.

It's followed by TALL STORY with Perkins and Jane Fonda.

On October 27 PLAY IT AS IT LAYS with Perkins and Tuesday Weld is now scheduled after PRETTY POISON, also with Perkins and Weld.

#7 speedracer5

speedracer5

Errol Flynn's girlfriend in a parallel universe,back in time

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,621 posts
  • LocationForest Grove, Oregon

Posted 13 August 2017 - 08:05 PM

I just finally got around to looking at the October Schedule! 

SOTM Anthony Perkins is an interesting choice.  I think I've only ever seen him in three films: Psycho, Green Mansions and On the Beach.  I thought he was really good in Psycho and On the Beach.  Green Mansions was a weird movie, so I can't really remember much about Perkins to make an assessment. 

10/1

Blossoms in the Dust.  I've been finding myself thinking that Greer Garson is interesting.  She's got a gorgeous face.  Though I think that Garson is SUTS this month and it appears that this film is airing this month.  Who knows though? By the time Oct 1 rolls around, I probably will still not have seen this film. 

Age of Innocence (1934) & (1993) I will presume that these two films are based on the same Edith Wharton novel.  I am interested in watching the "new" one first, then the 1934 one and if the story is interesting, perhaps the novel to see how the two variations differ from the source material. 

10/2

The Unsuspected.  This is a Claude Rains film that I've never heard of.  The synopsis sounds interesting.  Aside from Rains, this film also features Audrey Totter and is directed by Michael Curtiz. 

10/4

Buster Keaton marathon.  I've only ever seen the last half of Steamboat Bill Jr.  I'd like to see The Cameraman, the beginning of Steamboat Bill Jr and The General.

10/6

The Secret Heart.  A Claudette Colbert movie I haven't seen.

Battle Circus.  A Bogart movie I have never seen before.

10/8

They Won't Believe Me. A feature from "Noir Alley" with Susan Hayward, Robert Young and Jane Greer.

10/10

Martin Scorsese Presents, Val Lewton: The Man and the Shadows.  I don't know much about Lewton but I really liked The Cat People.  Plus, I like documentaries. 

The Seventh Victim and Bedlam.  Two Lewton films that I haven't seen and aren't on the 4-movie Lewton collection that I own.

10/12

Weekend at the Waldorf. A Ginger Rogers film I haven't seen.

7 Faces of Dr. Lao.  I had this film recommended to me by my friends here at the board. Plus, it has Tony "Felix Unger" Randall and Barbara "Jeannie" Eden! What more could I want in a film?

10/13

Five Miles From Midnight.  This Sophia Loren/Anthony Perkins film sounds interesting.

10/14

The China Syndrome.  I recorded this movie awhile back and starting watching it, only to discover that my satellite had gone out in the middle of it--I think there was a bad storm when it was on last time.  I'll try again.

Blood and Sand.  A Rita Hayworth film I haven't seen yet.

10/15

A Lion is in the Streets.  A Cagney film I've never heard of.

Diabolique.  I always see this film in the Criterion section and I've never seen it.  I like the synopsis.  It sounds very Double Indemnity-esque. 

10/20

The Beginning or the End.  This film featuring Tom Drake and Robert Walker sounds interesting.

Mahogany.  This film has Diana Ross, Lando Calrissian and Anthony Perkins.  While Diana Ross doesn't strike me as a supermodel (she's too short for one), this film sounds like it'll be entertaining.

10/23

Listen Darling.  I've never heard of this Judy Garland movie!

Give a Girl a Break.  I think I've seen part of this movie.  I'd like to see the whole thing.

10/25

A Joan Fontaine birthday salute (perhaps?) even though her birthday is on 10/22.

The Constant Nymph.  I think I had this recorded at one point, then I started over with my DVR and who knows maybe I recorded it again, but I don't think I have.  I like Joan Fontaine and Alexis Smith and I've been wanting to see this film.  Plus, there's Charles "LUCY, I LOVE YOU, RAWR!" Boyer* as well.

*The hilarious Charles Boyer impression that Boyer performs (as the fake "Maurice DuBois") in I Love Lucy Ep #146 after Lucy informs him that that's what Boyer sounds like. 

Until They Sail. This cast of this film intrigues me: Fontaine, Jean Simmons, Paul Newman, Sandra Dee, and Piper Laurie.  I also like films set in WWII. 

10/27

Looks like a Jack Carson birthday tribute--yay! I like Carson. 

The Hard Way.  I've seen this film once and really liked it.  I'd like to see it again.

April Showers.  Sounds like a more serious Carson film.  I think he does great in dramatic roles like The Hard Way and Mildred Pierce

The Doughgirls.  I like the whole cast: Carson, Ann Sheridan and Alexis Smith.

Pretty Poison.  I've been wanting to see this film ever since Tuesday Weld was featured last year (?) and I believe people were lamenting that this film wasn't on the schedule.

10/30

The Woman on Pier 13. I just saw Laraine Day in The Locket last night and I really liked her.  I'd like to see this film. 

10/31

The Cat and the Canary.  I really enjoyed this Bob Hope/Paulette Goddard film the last time I saw it and would like to see it again.

The Bat.  I'm intrigued by the pairing of Vincent Price and Agnes Moorehead.

All in all, despite the seemingly large quantity of Mickey Rooney films, this looks like a decent month featuring a lot of different films that I've never seen before and haven't seen on recent schedules.

"It's not an old movie if you haven't seen it." -Lauren Bacall

"A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down your pants." -Ted Baxter on "The Mary Tyler Moore Show"

Proud member of:

dxmdyx.png

My classic movie and television blog:

Whimsically Classic

https://whimsicallyc....wordpress.com/

#8 Fedya

Fedya

Crotchety blankety-blank

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,385 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 05:41 PM

Known in America as George NTSC.
  • lydecker and LawrenceA like this

#9 Mario500

Mario500

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 09:28 AM

...Just A director named George Pal??

What did you mean?

#10 sewhite2000

sewhite2000

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 06:14 AM

I recommend The Old Dark House, a Universal release that only gets a TCM airing once in a blue moon. This will be its first appearance on the network in eight years! And they're giving it the leadoff primetime spot on Halloween night! Not really all that scary, but what a cast: Melvyn Douglas, Boris Karloff, Raymond Massey, Charles Laughton, Gloria Stuart! In the same movie! (I used a lot of exclamation points in this post!)

• MovieCollectorOH and film lover 293 like this

#11 sewhite2000

sewhite2000

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 06:08 AM

Talk about a horror movie! Taxi Driver is airing both Sept. 8 and Oct. 30.

#12 EricJ

EricJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,045 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 08:20 PM

I had noticed some listings of movies involving some of the works of a movie director and producer named George Pal for the eleventh, twelfth, and thirteenth days of this October. Four of them are of great interest to me: "The Fantasy Film Worlds of George Pal" (listed for the eleventh day of this month), "The Time Machine" (listed for the eleventh day of this month)", "The Puppetoon Movie" (listed for the eleventh and thirteenth days of this month), "The Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm" (listed for the twelfth day of this month). 

...Just A director named George Pal??

Although the Fantasy Worlds documentary is pretty good, and they correctly genre-identified Brothers Grimm as "Epic".

(And the debate continues about whether Warner even can film-restore Grimm, let alone wants to.)

The previous day, the 10th, is the all-night Val Lewton homage, for those who haven't caught up on any of the canon besides the first Cat People.

Let's start a revolution: http://movieactivist.blogspot.com

#13 Mario500

Mario500

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 04:45 PM

I had noticed some listings of movies involving some of the works of a movie director and producer named George Pal for the eleventh, twelfth, and thirteenth days of this October. Four of them are of great interest to me: "The Fantasy Film Worlds of George Pal" (listed for the eleventh day of this month), "The Time Machine" (listed for the eleventh day of this month)", "The Puppetoon Movie" (listed for the eleventh and thirteenth days of this month), "The Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm" (listed for the twelfth day of this month). 

#14 jinsinna13

jinsinna13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 07:08 AM

Another October without Bela Lugosi as SOTM.

As Mick Jagger sings "You can't always get what you want".

"Believe in what your heart is saying. Hear the melody that's playing. There's no time to waste. There's so much to celebrate. Believe in what you feel inside. And give your dreams the wings to fly. You have everything you need. If you just believe."  Josh Groban- "Believe"

#15 kingrat

kingrat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,014 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 12:22 AM

Lots of good stuff on this month.

What I most want to see:

Le Cercle Rouge

Madame Satan

Sissi trilogy

Really clever idea: the "Red October" tribute

What a good idea: Jacques Tourneur tribute; Anthony Perkins as SOTM

Three lesser-known movies I recommend highly:

Day of the Outlaw - Burl Ives as a complex, intelligent villain, a great performance; wonderful direction by Andre De Toth; Robert Ryan and lots of snow

Hotel Berlin - Imagine Grand Hotel in the last days of Nazi Germany (by the same author, Vicki Baum); Raymond Massey is perhaps the only well-known actor in the cast, but story, acting, and direction are all first-rate

M (1951) - The cinematography and Joseph Losey's direction are great. Location photography of downtown L.A. I actually like this remake as much as the original.

If you need to see a Bad Movie We Love:

Two Weeks in Another Town - Vincente Minnelli hated what the studio did to his film, but frankly, what's on screen is 1) pretty bad and 2) sometimes downright funny. Claire Trevor, for instance, often a favorite of mine (as in Raw Deal, a must-see this month), OVERACTS and then OVERACTS SOME MORE. And she's far from being the only offender. Someone wrote all that dialogue, too.

A Lion Is in the Streets - The poor (make that "pore") backwoods cousin of All the King's Men, also based on the career of Huey Long. Jimmy Cagney calling everyone "folkses" is fun, but Lawd, honey, you ain't lived till you see swamp gal Flamingo (Anne Francis) try to feed Barbara Hale to the alligators.

• TopBilled, LawrenceA and film lover 293 like this

#16 PrinceSaliano

PrinceSaliano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,596 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 10:56 PM

Another October without Bela Lugosi as SOTM.

• CountessDracula likes this

#17 cinemanut

cinemanut

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 10:19 PM

Well, well, well. TCM has added Fear Strikes Out, Play it as it Lays and The Tin Star to the October sked. Please, please, PLEASE don't bump these movies! Much appreciated.

• TopBilled and film lover 293 like this

#18 MovieCollectorOH

MovieCollectorOH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts
  • LocationLand of Bread and Circuses

Posted 31 July 2017 - 09:13 PM

Geez Louise! TCM is airing "Back to the Future" on Monday, October 30th? As part of the Trailblazing Women programming? 

backtothefuture-doc-marty-parkinglot.jpg

The DVD set that I have has all three BTTF movies, and includes a director's audio track that you can listen to during each movie.  The movie audio is a bit softer and you hear the producer and director narrate through it on their filming techniques and how the different scenes tie together.  It's been about ten years since I went through them that way, but very memorable.

• jakeem likes this

Moviecollector's Corner                   *Look for what should be there, but isn't.*              Principia-Scientific.org (independent science news)

#19 Mario500

Mario500

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 08:33 PM

It is a Sci-Fi comedy film and not a horror movie.

I agree.

#20 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

There is nothing as bad as something not so bad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,235 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 31 July 2017 - 08:25 PM

"Back to the Future" was listed as a "horror" movie on the schedule.

It is a Sci-Fi comedy film and not a horror movie.

• lydecker, film lover 293 and jinsinna13 like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

midwestan