We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

I'd like to invite you to try our new fan club, the TCM...

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 LatriceRoyale

LatriceRoyale

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 04:32 PM

I am really irritated by that Ben, Get a free T-Shirt pop-up!

The pop up is relentless on my IPad.
  • Stephan55 likes this

You cannot have it both ways.  A dancer who relies upon the doubtful comforts of human love can never be a great dancer. Never!

Boris Lermontov

#2 Stephan55

Stephan55

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 946 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 06:52 PM

Sounds like a broken or unfinished feature.  I don't know because I haven't been there yet.  You have third party cookies blocked on your browser?  /sarc

Now that can't be a good thing.

Hah, I think you can assume that I always do.
I think that this is a TCM sanctioned deal, as when we access and use the site, we are inadvertently giving TCM "permission" to collect our data as well as inject their own pop-up "advertisements" as they please.

The annoying thing about this is its persistence, with no way to turn it off, or shut it down, at least for the duration of an entire TCM viewing session.

It's getting to the point where I almost don't want to use TCM ON-DEMAND because of it.

I consider that counterproductive. So in that case it is certainly a "broken" feature. 

"We all go a little mad sometimes. Haven't you?"  "...They're probably watching me..."

I have been told that I have a tendency toward verbosity.

#3 MovieCollectorOH

MovieCollectorOH

Wearing my hip waders.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,058 posts
  • LocationLand of Bread and Circuses

Posted 31 July 2017 - 08:55 PM

Sounds like a broken or unfinished feature.  I don't know because I haven't been there yet.  You have third party cookies blocked on your browser?  /sarc

Instead of salivating at the chance to join the "Backlot" I now feel my s p h i n c t e r tightening each time I see an image of Ben pop-up!

Now that can't be a good thing.

• Stephan55 likes this

Moviecollector's Corner                   *Look for what should be there, but isn't.*              Principia-Scientific.org (independent science news)

usdebtclock.org (just some pretty numbers to watch)

#4 Stephan55

Stephan55

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 946 posts

Posted 29 July 2017 - 09:53 PM

I'd like to invite you to try our new fan club, the TCM...
Backlot. Try it risk-free today for 30 days and receive a FREE t-shirt!

Try TCM Backlot & Claim My T-Shirt Today!
-- Ben Mankiwwicz at Turner Classic Movies X

Since the morning of July 29, 2017, this little pop-up with a smiling Ben Mankiewicz began appearing whenever I open TCM ON-DEMAND.

At first, I was amused, and even smiled a little when I saw Ben's cheerful countenance.
Normally I don't click on any pop-up, but if my curser came anywhere near the little sprite it enlarged itself and occluded some of the viewing screen blocking part of what I am trying to look at.
So I clicked on the little X next to Ben's name and the pop-up promptly disappeared.... momentarily.
However, whenever any activity is performed on the screen to look at a title, view a trailer, or watch a movie, etc. Ben pops up again with the same little invite, and the same annoying enlargement!

Now instead of being "invited" to "join" the TCM Backlot, which I've already declined from numerous TCM emails, as well as TCM's persistent campaign pushing it's membership whenever I watch TCM on TV, I am now feeling pestered, to the point of harassment, whenever I desire to catch a program from TCM ON-DEMAND.

These tactics from TCM serve the exact opposite purpose from that intended, instead of further endearing TCM to the devoted viewer, they begin to alienate them!
For those of us who are not interested in "joining" the TCM Backlot "paid" membership gang, these hardball tactics push us away from TCM, not closer to it!
And we are a substantial bunch of viewers who already support TCM with revenue from our paid TV subscriptions to receive the channel in the first place.
For whatever our reasons, we do not wish to join TCM's paid membership Backlot "club."

I for one, quickly tire and become annoyed with any company that thinks that by hounding me they will gain either my patronage or endorsement.

This Pavlovian exercise needs to cease immediately (at least with an "opt-out" button).

If TCM marketing thinks that by using Ben's cheerful smiling face in such an annoying fashion, that they can induce me into their "paid" TCM Backlot member roster (even with a temporary "trial" membership), to boost their market-share numbers for further corporate gain and  profit, then they are dead wrong!
Instead of salivating at the chance to join the "Backlot" I now feel my s p h i n c t e r tightening each time I see an image of Ben pop-up!

Anyone else feeling frustrated by this latest TCM ON-DEMAND insult, using Ben's visage in such an avaricious manner, feel free to comment here!

Likewise, if anyone is NOT annoyed by this and feels flattered by TCM's incessant Backlot membership campaign, have a sip of wine and post here!

Attached Files

• LatriceRoyale likes this

"We all go a little mad sometimes. Haven't you?"  "...They're probably watching me..."

I have been told that I have a tendency toward verbosity.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users