We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

8/1/17 Lecture Note Discussion: Remakes, Homages, and Films Inspired by Hitchcock

• Please log in to reply
192 replies to this topic

#21 JamesRusso

JamesRusso

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 04 August 2017 - 12:10 PM

Also inspired by Hitchcock is Halloween directed by John Carpenter

The movie "Bats" starring Lou Diamond Phillips was inspired by "The Birds".

#22 JamesRusso

JamesRusso

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 04 August 2017 - 12:07 PM

1.)   A series of films that were not just inspired by Hitchcock, but were direct continuations of his storyline from "Psycho" were the three "Psycho" sequels:

Psycho II

Psycho III

Psycho IV:  The Beginning (This third sequel was a TV movies and was written by Joseph Stefano)

2.)   Currently, there is a series on A&E Network called "Bates Motel".

There was also a TV movies called The Birds II".  I think it was broadcast in the 1990's, but I would have to double check.

3.)   No to mention that Anthony Hopkins played Hitchcock in a biopic about his life entitled "Hitchcock" which was released a few years ago.

4. )    There was also a TV movie remake of "Rear Window" starring Christopher Reeve.

5.)    The Burt Reynold's directed crime drama,  Sharkey's Machine (1981) features numerous

scenes where Tom Sharkey Is observing Domino (Rachel Ward's character)  using

binoculars from another apartment building across from hers.  The entire scene is directly inspired by Rear Window.

6.)    There was also a remake of "Psycho" released in 1998 starring Vince Vaughan and directed by Gus Van Sant.

#23 obuprof07

obuprof07

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 12:03 PM

Hitch at 50!!! 

I have jpeg from (presumably) the set of "Torn Curtain"  that shows Hitch flanked by Julie Andrews and Paul Newman with a cake that has a banner that reads "Congratulations Hitchcock Number 50!"  

http://pin.it/anl6Dns

You made need to copy the URL and paste it into a new search bar if clicking on the link does not work. 

#24 Lucinda27

Lucinda27

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 11:54 AM

I know I replied to this topic once before, but yesterday while I was cooking, I had The Bourne Legacy on TV. I looked up at there was a shot from above of the spiral staircase and one of the main characters going down to answer the door. The people she was about to let in were there to kill her. It reminded me of all the staircases in Hitchcock's movies.

• obuprof07 likes this

#25 Robinv

Robinv

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 08:21 AM

I like Shutter Island. It puts me in the mind of Vertigo and Spellbound.

I have really enjoyed this class and I would like to thank everyone for making this an enjoyable experience. I would like to especially thank our scholars, Dr. Rich Edwards and Dr. Wes Gehring (Ball State University). This is my fourth course I have taken with you and as always it has been an educational and enlightening experience. Now I am sorry to say I will go through withdrawal symptoms until we meet again.

Also, to my fellow students it has been great reading and sharing ideas with you on this forum.

THANK YOU All!!!!!!!
  • Mandroid51, TheRealSuzyQ, obuprof07 and 1 other like this

#26 Kwittenbrink

Kwittenbrink

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 08:45 PM

So, I've been watching a lot of Hitchcock lately, but just tried to catch up on my other DVR favorites and GRANTCHESTER is one that I've come up with that is very Hitchcockian.  I love the POV shots and the high angle shots.  One shot in particular struck me where they had a close-up on a man's mouth as he stated a very snarky response to a woman in the show.

• Lucinda27 and obuprof07 like this

#27 Margo60

Margo60

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 03 August 2017 - 05:59 PM

A big "Thank You" to all students of this fantastic class, TCM, and Professor Edwards.  I learned so much more about Hitchcock, and watched most of his films.  There is always something more to understand about the vulnerability, strengths, and fears within human nature, art, society, cinematography, music, sound/visual effects that Hitchcock left as his legacy.  Culturally influential, and timeless.

This was his final cameo.

My selection of modern day films similar to "Rear Window":

Body Double, 1984

Brian DePalma

Blue Velvet, 1986

David Lynch

Peeping Tom, 1960

Michael Powell

• tshawcross, Bromo, sherry.johnson and 2 others like this

#28 picasso55

picasso55

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 05:26 PM

Final thought; The Boys From Brazil

• Cricketbatcat and obuprof07 like this

#29 melissasimock

melissasimock

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 04:20 PM

My favourite homage to Hitchcock, is episode #16 "Mr. Yin Presents" (season finale) of PSYCH, season 4.  Directed by James Roday.  It is hands down, the best episode of the entire 8 seasons of the show.  Here are a few snippets to wet your appetite:

Psych Catch Up - James Roday "Mr. Yin Presents" Intro

https://youtu.be/4jhFwnSPFTU

SEASON FINALE of Psych on USA Network - "Mr. Yin Presents" 3/10 Promo

https://youtu.be/nkulVvBybjM

Scene from the SEASON FINALE of Psych on USA Network - "Mr. Yin Presents" 3/10

https://youtu.be/5Rn0zp7rwFE

Scene #2 from SEASON FINALE of Psych on USA Network - "Mr. Yin Presents" 3/10

https://youtu.be/K7JkiPUgeNo

Scene #3 from the SEASON FINALE of Psych on USA Network - "Mr. Yin Presents" 3/10

https://youtu.be/eNeBw63fY_U

• obuprof07 likes this

#30 devin05

devin05

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 12:32 PM

The Fugitive, innocent man accused, with a twist on the double chase, the marshall is chasing him, but Kimbel also is chasing his wife's murderers

The Twilight Zone

Cape Fear, the original and the remake by Scorsese.

Really Hitchcock was a big influence on Scorsese, Even a movie like After Hours, dark humor, there is sense of loneliness and isolation in even a busy city like New York.

Dr. Edwards of course mentioned, Brian DePalma.  Body Double is a variation of Rear Window.

The Usual Suspects

Heat, Micheal Mann in general.

Many of Nolan's movies.  Following is film noir ish with voyeurism.  Insomnia.  The Prestige.

Psychological Thrillers with romance and sex as themes, like Basic Instinct.  In fact I was going to comment that every movie of this type owes something not only to Hitchcock, but Bernard Herrmann.  Herrmann influenced the scores from all these movies.

Jaws.  The obvious thing is the Zolly of Brody on the beach (from Vertigo)  But there are many other things.  Personal story.  Jaws is one of my favorite movies.  My parents took the whole family to see it in a drive in.  I'm 48, so I must have been six or so.  Anyway, I remember some distinct shots from Jaws.  But now it has become a tradition with my daughter to watch Jaws sometime around July Fourth.  So I watch Jaws a couple times every year.  And it has become something I look for new things in the movie.  Through this course, I can see how people can dissect movies like Rear Window and Vertigo, repeated views to find new things.  Ok, the point I'm trying to make is the scene in Quint's boathouse, where Brody and Hooper are trying to convince Quint to take Hooper on the boat, The Orca, is very Hitchcockian.  One of my favorite scenes.  Some dark humor.  A low angle as Brody and Hooper look up at Quint.  Then Quint looking down on Hooper, literally as criticises Hooper.  Even test his merit as a sailor.  Physical objects like the rope and the duffle bag.  The blocking as characters move through the shot, changing focus from one character to the next.  The tension builds as Quint takes Hooper's hands.  Almost turning violent.  Then Brody framed between the two.   A over the shoulder shot from behind Quint that focuses on Hooper then Brody steps changing the focus to him.  Brody remains between the two to keep the two from a fight, a foreshadowing of events to come on The Orca.  From the course, I see many of these things in movies, like Downhill and Notorious.

• riffraf, tshawcross, jfedelchak and 2 others like this

#31 ckusama

ckusama

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 10:14 AM

How about "Foul Play"? Another parody of Hitchcock. I watch so many TCM movies that it's hard to process what I've seen. There's so many! I learned so much during this course and it will take a long time before I go into a crowded event and not think "Oh! Something could happen here.....!" "Hitchcock would love this venue!" 

The Third Man by Orson Welles. Dark, suspense. Wonderful

• dmaxedon, jfedelchak and obuprof07 like this

#32 Popcorn97

Popcorn97

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 06:37 AM

Frantic with Harrison Ford - husband and wife travel to Europe, wife gets kidnapped. Harrison looks all over Paris to try to find his wife. 1987 i think. Polanski directed it. 

• Lucinda27 and obuprof07 like this

#33 di.1805

di.1805

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 05:00 AM

I love The Ghost Writer! Quite Hitchcockian, and it's got a great MacGuffin!
  • Bromo, jfedelchak and obuprof07 like this

#34 Bromo

Bromo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 01:40 AM

I might add films by M. Night. Shyamalan , who was heavily influenced by Hitchcock.  When I first watched Signs (2002) in the cinema I got a feeling of Hitchcock from the moment the movie started with that opening theme full of stringed instruments similar to how the opening of Psycho makes you feel. 

• Lucinda27, jfedelchak, Cricketbatcat and 2 others like this

#35 Bromo

Bromo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 11:20 PM

Some that come to mind:

- Road Games (1981) directed by Richard Franklin - An Aussie film similar to Rear Window but from a      truck drivers point of view.  

- Wait Until Dark (1967) directed by Terrence Young

- Play Misty For Me (1971) directed by Clint Eastwood

- The Fallen Idol (1948) directed by Carol Reed 

There are also quite a few by Brian De Palma being Body Double, Sisters, Dressed to Kill etc.  

• BrianBlake, obuprof07 and di.1805 like this

#36 brooke.fenton

brooke.fenton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 02 August 2017 - 11:15 PM

Some films that I feel have the slightest traces of the "Hitchcock touch" or have been inspired by Hitchcock are: "Double Indemnity", "Repeat Performance" and "High Anxiety."

• Bromo, jfedelchak and obuprof07 like this

#37 taraliz

taraliz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 10:45 PM

i recently watched Above Suspicion 1943 with Joan Crawford and felt this film applies. Joan and her husband are regular citizens who are asked to perform tasks as spies and subsequently encounter all sorts of trouble .

• obuprof07 likes this

#38 tshawcross

tshawcross

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • LocationDelray Beach, Florida

Posted 02 August 2017 - 10:37 PM

I suppose the first movies that we all think about when considering what Hitchcock might have made if he were alive today are the Sharknado series of films. Right?

The horror sci-fi comedy disaster film genre so epitomized by the Sharknados seems to me to be where Hitchcock was going when he made the horror film Psycho in 1960 and sci-fi-ish disaster oeuvre The Birds in 1963. Both films included comedic touches.

Last night, I watched Sharknado 2, and when the shark bit off Tara Reid's hand, I was immediately struck by how Hitchcockian that was (an innocent blonde attacked while in a place that was seemingly safe from horror). Then when the two shark-infested water spouts converged on Manhattan, that theme was raised a quantum level! When Judd Hirsch got up that morning to drive his cab, did he really expect that he would be eaten by a hammerhead on Broadway? I bet not.

• montereybob, sherry.johnson and Cricketbatcat like this

#39 debbi-c

debbi-c

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 09:16 PM

To try and capture as many of these Hitchcock inspired films will be a herculean task. Imdb has an interesting list at:

http://www.imdb.com/list/ls071418428/

which gives 97 Hitchcock films not directed by Hitchcock. 

One of my own favorites is Duel​ from 1971. How much more of  German Expressionism can you get then a 5,000 gallon fuel tanker following you with malice and being unstoppable. Man versus machine!

Can't leave out Bogart's ​Dark Passage ​from 1947.

A few others from the list mentioned above are ​Play Misty For Me, Jaws, Abandon Ship (Tyrone Power 1957) , and ​Witness For the Prosecution (Tyrone Power innocent man indeed).

BBC's 2016 spy thriller "Secret Agent" with Toby Jones.

1993 sci-fi Lifepod... sorta of Lifeboat ​in space.

This list is great!  Thanks for posting it.  Some of the films listed I've seen, but many I haven't.  I'll have to find opportunities to see at least some of them.

I was glad to see some of the films listed:

• Charade

• Dark Passage

• Niagra [last night on TCM]

• Witness for the Prosecution

• Gaslight [love, love, love it!]

• The Spiral Staircase

• Leave Her To Heaven

• The Uninvited [I just watched this again today]

• The Stranger

I'd add to the list:

• Beware My Lovely (1952) - Ida Lupino & Robert Ryan.  Widow hires handyman who turns out to be schizophrenic who decompensates into psychotic episode, & widow is unable to escape from her home.  The ordinary person put in an extrodinary situation, & having to rely on her wits to get through it alive.  Limited set to film in [like Lifeboat & Rear Window].

• Crisis (1950) - Cary Grant is a neurosurgeon in a South or Central American county in the midst of a revolution, forced into operating on the dictator.  Trains, some great POV shots, the ordinary person put in an extrodinary situation, & having to rely on his wits to get through it alive.

This course has been great!  Thank you to Dr. Edwards & Dr. Gehring for bring all this info together for us.  And, thank you to everyone here in the TCM Message Board for your insights.  And, special thanks to TCM for offering this course to the public.  TCM is very unique to the world of TV.  May they continue to evolve over the upcoming years in the fan interactive fashion that we see today!

• slp515, Lucinda27, tshawcross and 4 others like this

#40 JazzGuyy

JazzGuyy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 08:10 PM

Did anyone mention the ultimate McGuffin movie: Repo Man?

• Bromo, jfedelchak, sherry.johnson and 1 other like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users