We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

8/1/17 Lecture Note Discussion: Remakes, Homages, and Films Inspired by Hitchcock

• Please log in to reply
192 replies to this topic

#41 johnseury

johnseury

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 08:09 PM

Scanning some of the postings, I'm glad that several people have mentioned High Anxiety. It's a funny film, both a homage and parody. It's not as funny as Blazing Saddles, Young Frankenstien or the Producers but in the second tier of Brooks' films. I wonder if Hitchcock saw it. I think that Hitch would have enjoyed it.
  • Lucinda27, sherry.johnson and obuprof07 like this

#42 mariaki

mariaki

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 07:05 PM

8. Mississippi Mermaid - France ,1969 - Francois Truffaut's film of passion, betrayal and deception, starring Jean-Paul Belmondo and Catherine Deneuve is a classic homage to "The Master" himself.

Oh my gosh this is one my favorite films and you are SO right!  There's an abundance of motifs in this film as well as a huge psychoanalytic overlay which is very Hitchcockian,  And speaking of cool blonds - Catherine Deneuve! 

• Margo60 and obuprof07 like this

#43 mariaki

mariaki

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 07:00 PM

Looking back through these posts (which are GREAT) I'm glad to see a couple of references to the other grand man of 20th century cinema -- Orson Welles.  In addition to Touch of Evil and The Lady from Shanghai, I would like to add a film in which Welles appeared, The Third Man.  To me, the film has certain aspects of North by Northwest and certainly a film noir feel.  Perhaps even add Citizen Kane to the list, coming out a year after Rebecca and featuring one of the first Bernard Herrmann scores.

I have often wondered how much Hitchcock and Welles may have influenced each other as they 'grew up' in Hollywood at about the same time -- Hitch being able to navigate the landscape of the studio system much better than Welles.  Does anyone know of anything that has been written or analyzed about this?

I would also add Welles' The Stranger with Edward G. Robinson, 1946.  There is a touch of Shadow of a Doubt in it- the evil from the outside world entering an idyllic small town. There's also a nice stairway chase up a clock tower which is not only vertiginous but reminds me of the windmill stairs in Foreign Correspondent - maybe it's the wood structure and the black and white.  It fits the "spy" Hitchcock template in many ways. 

• CaseInPoint likes this

#44 ogranat

ogranat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 06:34 PM

Thank you Prof. Edwards! This course was amazing - I also learned SO much!

I thought of Guillermo del Toro's Pan's Labyrinth. Here is an interesting talk he did a few years back - Guillermo Del Toro talks Alfred Hitchcock in Studio Q

• HEYMOE likes this

#45 Rainydaygirl

Rainydaygirl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationCentral Point, Oregon

Posted 02 August 2017 - 06:21 PM

"The Lady Vanishes" was remade in 2013 for PBS's Masterpiece Mystery series. I watched this and loved it. When I read it was a remake of a Hitchcock film, I then saw the original. Although the PBS remake was good on its own---if you compare it to the original, well, I think the original is far superior. What I liked about both pieces was the starting at one point and then going through the 'tunnel' of a storyline into something that you never would have thought would happen when you start watching the films. Hitchcock brought in other storylines that added interest to the film. The PBS remake changed some details for the 21st century audience which I think made the film less interesting in some aspects. 

• debbi-c likes this

#46 ckdxtrhaven

ckdxtrhaven

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

Posted 02 August 2017 - 06:07 PM

Now that I’ve learned SO much in this course, I’m anxious to see the new movie Dunkirk because I’ve heard it has many elements that are a nod to Hitchcock...

Pure suspense

Hans Zimmer score

More emphasis on visual imagery vs. conversation, to propel the story

Bold camera techniques

Nail-biting sound design over dialog

Story told from three perspectives, interweaving and jumping back and forth in time

I also read where they needed to solve the problem of how to shoot inside a Spitfire plane because the camera didn’t fit in the cockpit.  They wanted the fight scenes to look as authentic as possible, not green-screened or filmed in a studio.  So they hung the camera outside the cockpit and built a special lens that bent like a periscope.  I think Hitchcock would have approved.

• sherry.johnson likes this

#47 Schlinged

Schlinged

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 05:50 PM

The only two that I can think of is High Anxiety by Mel Brooks and an episode of Castle done in the style of Rear Window.

• Lucinda27, johnseury and jfedelchak like this

#48 sherry.johnson

sherry.johnson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 05:25 PM

Wow!  Thanks everyone.  Thank you Dr. Edwards.  Thank you TCM!  I have learned so much and wish I could have added a lot more knowledge - but I am inspired to learn much more about movies.  And watch a lot of these mentioned above that I have not seen.  

I immediately thought of Niagra, Gaslight, Dark Passage and Witness for the Prosecution.  I have to mention High Anxiety.  

I will try to remember all the Hitchcock touches when I watch movies now!

Thanks and good luck to all!

• riffraf, tshawcross, HEYMOE and 3 others like this

#49 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

There is nothing as bad as something not so bad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,505 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 02 August 2017 - 05:18 PM

Movies I feel have a similarity to Hitchcock: 

1) Wicked with Julia Stiles 

2) The Desperate Hours with Richard Mitchum 

FYI:   The Desperate Hours (1955) stars Bogart and March.

#50 TaffyM

TaffyM

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 05:15 PM

Movies I feel have a similarity to Hitchcock: 

1) Wicked with Julia Stiles 

2) The Desperate Hours with Richard Mitchum 

#51 Paul Tilburgs

Paul Tilburgs

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationEindhoven, the Netherlands

Posted 02 August 2017 - 05:11 PM

This thread is great :). I'll add another one (with trains! :lol:):

Transsiberian (2007): Roy (Woody Harrelson) and Jessie (Emily Mortimer) are a naive American couple traveling from China to Moscow on the legendary Transsiberian express. They meet another couple - the mysterious and seductive Carlos (Eduardo Noriega) and his enigmatic girlfriend Abby (Kate Mara) - and what was a simple train journey soon turns into a thrilling chase of deception and murder as corrupt police officers (Ben Kingsley and Thomas Kretschmann) pursue them and it soon becomes clear that everyone is not what they first seem.

#52 gardenias

gardenias

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 02 August 2017 - 04:34 PM

I see a lot of Hitchcock in various horror films that have been released over the years. Many directors are influenced by him including horror master John Carpenter. Halloween not only starred Janet Leigh's daughter but the doctor was named Loomis after the boyfriend in Psycho. It Follows one of the better horror films in recent years was greatly influenced by a variety of films and it appears that Hitchcock may have been an influence on him as well. 

• TaffyM likes this

"Are they Charlie?" 

#53 riffraf

riffraf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 02 August 2017 - 04:04 PM

The%20Hot%20Spot%2011-Define2_zpszahuaxdI too was thinking of a picture that until this, no one mentioned. Who knows, perhaps only you and I saw it. The Hot Spot has many Hitchcock like elements and if people have not seen it, I believe it is worth your time.

So true, and I think The Hot Spot (1990) is a modern Noir masterpiece for Dennis Hopper.  As for the Hitchcock touches, Hopper weaves and blends an amazing soundtrack of blues with music composed by Miles Davis, John Lee Hooker, Jack Nitzsche, and Taj Mahal to emphasize and underscore scenes of tense drama, robbery, adultery, passion, betrayal with an excellent ensemble cast of characters (William Sadler, Jerry Hardin, Barry Corbin, Charles Martin Smith and Jack Nance) in the same sensitive style Hitchcock worked with his collaborators.  Don Johnson plays a drifter, fulfilling the “everyman role” and maybe not quite so innocent but more so than others he encounters.  Based on the book Hell Hath No Fury, the plot twists and turns with blackmail, obsession and is it really “murder”?  Plenty of MacGuffins in this one and Hopper is keen on using his camera and camera movements to set the scene as well as to add information to the story.  This takes place in a small Texas town re-enforcing the Hitchcock ideal, how an everyman type character can get caught up in a web of intrigue way over his head in any location large or small.  Check it out! 

• tshawcross, Margo60, picasso55 and 2 others like this

#54 Scripty

Scripty

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 03:30 PM

Good Evening...
A few of my favorite films that I believe have some of the Hitchcock Touches are:
-"Double Indemnity" (film Noir)

-"Brain Dead" (tv show about bugs trying to take over the world - "The Birds")

-"The Night of the Hunter" (Robert Mitchum stars-one of my favorite actors who plays a killer- ordinary ppl in extraordinary circumstances-suspense-thriller) - on TCM this Sunday; looking forward.

Just a few that come to mind...if I think of more I'll post. Gonna miss this class.
  • Lucinda27, TaffyM and sherry.johnson like this

#55 Elainel

Elainel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 03:16 PM

Ty for this list !!!! I'm copying it for viewing.

#56 Elainel

Elainel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 03:16 PM

Ty for this list !!!! I'm copying it for viewing.

#57 picasso55

picasso55

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 02:36 PM

Here is an out of the box or left field suggestion; Knight and Day. Tag it to the combination of wrong man, blonde, plane/train/bus/car/etc, exotic locales, quirky relationship, crossed with screwball comedy. Box office failure but a good flick non-the-less.

• D'Arcy likes this

#58 picasso55

picasso55

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 02:28 PM

A few more that would have been interesting with the Hitchcock touch during his prime...

Bound (1996) Jennifer Tilly, Gina Gershon

Red Rock West (1992) Nicolas Cage, Dennis Hopper, Lara Flynn Boyle

Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil (1997) Kevin Spacey, John Cusack

Tightrope (1984) Clint Eastwood, Genevieve Bujold

Identity (2003) John Cusack, Ray Liotta, Amanda Peet

Silent Fall (2000) Richard Dreyfuss, Linda Hamilton, John Lithgow

Original Sin (2000) Antonio Banderas, Angelina Jolie

The Hot Spot (1990) Don Johnson, Virginia Madsen, Jennifer Connelly 

The Satan Bug (1965) George Maharis, Richard Basehart, Anne Francis

I too was thinking of a picture that until this, no one mentioned. Who knows, perhaps only you and I saw it. The Hot Spot has many Hitchcock like elements and if people have not seen it, I believe it is worth your time.

• riffraf, tshawcross, Margo60 and 3 others like this

#59 filmcat

filmcat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 02:16 PM

I've loved reading through these posts and remembering so many movies that definitely are Hitchcockian!  Here are some more!

The Big Clock​ with Ray Milland and Charles Laughton is on TCM tonight at 8 p.m. and its a good one!  Also starring Ray Milland:

Possessed with Joan Crawford

Act of Violence​ with Janet Leigh and Robert Ryan

Black Widow ​with Ginger Rogers and Gene Tierney

The Prowler​ with Evelyn Keyes

I don't remember seeing anyone list Double Indemnity​ with Fred MacMurray and Barbara Stanwyck.  Then, as I thought about Barbara Stanwyck, who is one of my favorite actresses, I immediately thought of several of her other movies that would fit the description:

No Man of her Own​ with John Lund (this is one of my favorites - it was remade into a comedy with Rikki Lake called 

Mrs. Winterbourne, ​but the original is SO much better!)

​Cry Wolf​ with Errol Flynn

Man with a Cloak ​with Joseph Cotton

Witness to Murder ​with George Sanders 

Sorry, Wrong Number​ with Burt Lancaster

​The Strange Loves of Martha Ivers​ with Van Heflin

The Two Mrs. Carrolls​ with Humprey Bogart

​Crime of Passion​ with Raymond Burr

​The File on Thelma Jordon​ with Wendell Corey

Jeopardy ​with Barry Sullivan

Some other examples would be:

Dark Passage​ with Humphrey Bogart and Lauren Bacall

​23 Paces to Baker Street​ with Van Johnson and Vera Miles

​Experiment in Terror ​with Lee Remick

Above Suspicion​ with Fred MacMurray and Joan Crawford

Tomorrow is Forever​ with Orson Welles and Claudette Colbert

​A Cry in the Night​ with Natalie Wood and Raymond Burr

Laura​ with Gene Tierney and Dana Andrews

Out of the Past​ with Robert Mitchum

Undercurrent ​with Katherine Hepburn, Robert Taylor, & Robert Mitchum

Midnight Lace​ with Doris Day, Rex Harrison, & John Gavin

​The Spiral Staircase​ with Dorothy McGuire

​Blindfold​ with Rock Hudson

Some more recent examples would be:

Unknown​ with Liam Neeson

Double Jeopardy​ with Ashley Judd and Tommy Lee Jones

High Crimes and Kiss the Girls​ both with Ashley Judd and Morgan Freeman

• tshawcross, HEYMOE, melkirsch and 2 others like this

#60 Konradnv

Konradnv

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 01:55 PM

Flatulation jokes aside,
Mel Brooks' High Anxiety is a hilarious romp through the genius of Hitchcock.
My favorite scene is the phone booth, but I just think the whole movie is a riot.
YouTube has some great clips of Mel Brooks' conversations with Hitchcock that show his great sense of humor and persona.
  • Scripty, debbi-c, sherry.johnson and 1 other like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users