We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

8/2/17 Lecture Note Discussion: Who Would be a Hitchcock Collaborator in 2017?

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#81 jay1458

jay1458

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 02 August 2017 - 11:38 AM

I think Stephen King would be excellent as a Collaborator because of his work with the macabre.

• Rejana Raj likes this

#82 dweigum

dweigum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 02 August 2017 - 11:29 AM

This course has opened m eyes to many things I have neglected related to the movies I enjoy and or admire.  I love watching movies old and new but only lately have I explored more closely the elements and or collaborators that make the movies a success or failure.  So the basis for my answer or discussion is purely a deeper look at my favorite movie last year, Arrival.  I suppose you would characterize it as science fiction but it was so much more.  A character study, a suspence thriller that used an innovative approach to the sci fi genre that I think would have intrigued Alfred Hitchcock.  The movie was intelligent and even combined humor and tragedy very effectively.  It presented a new concept related to communication, time and the way in which we react to strangers and used the element of surprise and emotion to captivate our attention.  Denis Villeneuve director, Joe Walker, editor, screenplay Eric Heisserer and music Johann Johannsson all created a work of art as far as I.m concerned.  I think it would have been interesting to see how this team along with Hitchcock might have explored new territory in the art of film. 

• riffraf, picasso55, judith46 and 3 others like this

#83 DC SURFERGIRL

DC SURFERGIRL

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 10:46 AM

I think that Stephen King would make a GREAT collaborator for Hitch! The works of Stephen King are a PERFECT FIT with Hitchcock you can literally see the headlines...THE MASTER OF MACABRE MEETS THE MASTER OF SUSPENSE!!! Who wouldn't want to plunk down their last dollar to buy that movie ticket.

Imagine Hitch's "touch" to Carrie?!  :o Hitch would have finally gotten his much deserved Oscar! Every Stephen King movie that was made would have a different twist to it once Hitch got his hands on them. And imagine the books that were NEVER MADE into movies...

These two great minds would have worked well together. Both had vivid imaginations when it came to their work. Each artist held you in suspense when they 'told' their tales. You are transported into their stories and you became their characters, you suffered right along with them. You rooted for the 'hero' and wanted to see the 'villain' get what they deserved in the end (especially Pennywise). 

One can get any of Stephen's books and just imagine Hitch directing that book...the possibilities are endless and THRILLING!!!!!!!!

• jay1458, Rejana Raj and Earthshine like this

#84 BLACHEFAN

BLACHEFAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • LocationTampa, Fl.

Posted 02 August 2017 - 10:38 AM

His new Bernard Herrmann would be: Alexandre Desplat.

His new Edith Head would be: Lindy Hemming.

His new writer would be: Mark Boal.

• Rejana Raj likes this

#85 Earthshine

Earthshine

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationNortheastern Ohio

Posted 02 August 2017 - 10:35 AM

In response to this question, I could go with an "obvious" answer, such as Stephen King as a writing collaborator.  At least then one of King's novels would finally translate well into film in the hands of a master such as Hitchcock.  I realize King's texts are hard to convey on screen, given the nature of his ideas.  However, if anyone could make it work, it would be Hitchcock.  Not to say that all films based on King's novels are bad, it's just that so many fall so short of the mark.  I could also be very self-centered and say that a dream come true for me would be for any director, let alone the masterful Hitchcock, to translate one of my original dark and unpublished stories into a film.  Alas, that will remain on my bucket list forever.  Instead, I think I would love to see what Hitchcock would do with the novel White Noise by the author Don Delillo.  For me, this was a novel that was difficult to confine to only one genre.  However, it does contain a very dark and bleak view on society with apocalyptic overtones and commentary on the overall futility and despair of society, being somewhat existential in that regard.  I think this would have fit well with Hitchcock's later years, especially when he made The Birds and Frenzy, both of which left me a little unsettled, just as I felt after reading White Noise.

• DC SURFERGIRL and Rejana Raj like this

#86 joant

joant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationWoodstock NY

Posted 02 August 2017 - 10:12 AM

First and foremost, the collaborator that comes to my mind would be Tim Burton. I think his dark sense of whimsy would very much appeal to Hitchcock. I feel the two have much in common and would enjoy each others company as well as input. it is said that much of Burton's story lines are autobiographical- and haven't we seen Hitchcock in all of his own films?

and as long as we we're talking Tim Burton, we must of course include the composer Danny Elfman. I think Hitchcock would approve his attention to detail, the way his compositions fill in the story line by taking you through a journey all their own, then bring you right back on point. Hitchcock would also have appreciated the use of a full symphonic orchestra combined with the latest electronic sound equipment as well.

to round out this collaboration, we must add Burton's costume designer Colleen Atwood who among other things, has noticed that shoulders are peculiar to peregrines.

You just read my mind. I love Tim Burton. And the rest of your list.
I will add a titles designer category: Pablo Ferro. He worked with Kubrick quite often and my friend Douetta (Douy) Swofford. You can google both if you are interested.
  • D'Arcy, Rejana Raj, Linda Cross and 1 other like this

#87 Linda Cross

Linda Cross

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 09:30 AM

First and foremost, the collaborator that comes to my mind would be Tim Burton. I think his dark sense of whimsy would very much appeal to Hitchcock. I feel the two have much in common and would enjoy each others company as well as input. it is said that much of Burton's story lines are autobiographical- and haven't we seen Hitchcock in all of his own films?

and as long as we we're talking Tim Burton, we must of course include the composer Danny Elfman. I think Hitchcock would approve his attention to detail, the way his compositions fill in the story line by taking you through a journey all their own, then bring you right back on point. Hitchcock would also have appreciated the use of a full symphonic orchestra combined with the latest electronic sound equipment as well.

to round out this collaboration, we must add Burton's costume designer Colleen Atwood who among other things, has noticed that shoulders are peculiar to peregrines.

• picasso55, D'Arcy, Rejana Raj and 4 others like this

#88 Master Bates

Master Bates

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 09:20 AM

​I think Hitchcock and composer Stephen Sondheim could have produced a major collaboration. There are several reasons why I say this:

​1. Sondheim's love of movies. He's on record saying he's never been a reader, but he's a great lover of movies and has been all his life.

​2. Sondheim loves puzzles. This would seem to be a perfect match for Hitchcock's love of the same: working out the "puzzle" of a  character's psychology, etc.

​3. With "Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street," Sondheim has said that he wrote the score as if he were scoring a motion picture--a horror picture at that.

​4.  "Sweeney Todd" contains many of the themes present in many Hitchcock films:

​     a. romance: young lovers trying to get together:
​       "Johanna" and "Anthony" in "Sweeney" cf. "Marion" and "Sam" in PSYCHO

​     b. grisly murder: "Mrs. Lovett" turning "Sweeney's" murder victims into meat pies;
​         "Marion's" brutal slaughter in PSYCHO

​     c. shock value: "Sweeney" singing beautiful ballads while drawing his razor across his

patrons' throats;
        "Marion's" cleansing, "baptismal" shower suddenly turning into a gruesome blood bath

​     d. musical dissonance: high-pitched factory whistle slicing through the score of "Sweeney Todd";
​         Bernard Herrmann's high-pitched staccato scrapings on violins and other strings during PSYCHO's

infamous shower scene.

​     e. touches of humor: comic relief, ditziness of

​         1. "Johanna" who is trapped like a bird (!) by "Judge Turpin" in Sweeney Todd" and her ironic song

questioning whether caged birds are "singing or...screaming."

​           
         2. "Mrs. Cunningham" (Norma Varden)
​              allowing "Bruno" to demonstrate strangulation on her throat in STRANGERS ON A TRAIN

​         3.  "Mrs. Anthony" (Marion Lorne) as "Bruno's" mother. Unable to acknowledge she has raised a

psychopath, she escapes into her "soothing" painting.
​               The only painting we see looks like Dorian Gray's horrific portrait that he hides in the attic.

f. Treatment of the psycho-sexual

1. In "Sweeney", "Judge Turpin satisfying his lust, flagellating himself while watching his ward
​             Johanna
(Sweeney's daughter) through a keyhole;

​             
In PSYCHO, Norman watching Marion through peephole while she undresses before showering
​   

2. In VERTIGO, Scottie's love/lust for Madeleine, a woman who doesn't actually exist, or is dead.
​              P
sychologically, a form of necro******; obsession to remake "Judy" into "Madeleine"
​  
In "Sweeney," Mrs. Lovett's lust for Sweeney, who's merely using her to dispose of his victims

5.  Commentaries on marriage:  Sondheim's "Company" and "Follies"; "Chief Inspector Oxford" and "Mrs.

Oxford" in FRENZY

​6.  Love of theater/show business:

--Hitchcock's THE PLEASURE GARDEN; THE 39 STEPS; STAGEFRIGHT

--Sondheim's "Follies"

• ameliajc, picasso55, Rejana Raj and 2 others like this

#89 nancykhoke@gmail.com

nancykhoke@gmail.com

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 08:58 AM

After my post on the Hitchcock style - I would start by saying David Mamet - but too many directors! LOL -

The writer of The Usual Suspects - Christopher McQuarrie -

Maybe David Lynch - but again too many directors

Actor - Tim Robbins

Actor - The return of Sharon Stone - there are excellent blondes for the cool role - but maybe he would discover the Red Head - my personal choice.

Actor - Tom Hanks - of course

Aug 2 in NYC screening of Soul Bass Creates

There are several Hich related articles on the the Oscar.com site including Hollywood’s Golden Age in The Perfect Match: Hollywood Costume Collaborations - Just found this great site.
  • D'Arcy, Rejana Raj, Sue Anne and 2 others like this

#90 D'Arcy

D'Arcy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • LocationLake of the Ozarks

Posted 02 August 2017 - 08:46 AM

Ramin Djawadi --- German composer hands down, what Hitchcock could do with this talent. He now does a lot of HBO scores Westworld score is amazing.

Sandy Powell - English Costume Design--- Caravaggio, The Crying Game to most recent Wonderstruck. Everything in between.

Never really payed attention to editors until this class.

Jane Goldman, James Franco, Tom Hanks and Ron Howard for collaboration, also Larry David, Wes Anderson, and Alexander Philippe(insight). These folks have a variety of talent with a splash of quirky if desired.

As for Actors and Actresses he was no longer mainstream, an occasional Reese Witherspoon, Uma Thurman, Helen Mirren, and John Turturro, Geoffrey Rush, Christoph Waltz and Rutger Hauer to name a few would keep audiences coming back. I think he would bring new faces to the screen as Hollywood stars are time crunched and he preferred to take the time he needed to prefect his film with his Hitchcock Touch. It seems odd to think of actors/collaborators today in his films of yesterday.
  • ameliajc, Rejana Raj, CHambyClassicFilm and 2 others like this
🎭💡📽🎬🎭

#91 johncrann

johncrann

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 08:42 AM

Screenwriter - Lawrence Kasdan, Paul Schrader

Costume Design - open

Director - Sofia Coppola, David Lynch, Lawrence Kasdan, Adrian Lyne

Editor - Fred Raskin

Cinematographer - Robert Richardson, Emmanuel Lubezki

Actors - Helen Mirren, Charlize Theron, Sharon Stone, Harvey Kietel, Mandy Patinkin, Tom Hanks,
Paul Giammatti, Nicole Kidman

Music - Ennio Morricone, John Williams, John Barry, Danny Elfman, Thomas Newman, Hans Zimmer

• D'Arcy, Rejana Raj and sherry.johnson like this

#92 Rebecca in NYC

Rebecca in NYC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 08:15 AM

I might be going out on a limb here, but in my view, one of the best creative teams these days is in TV (not film).  I'm referring to everyone involved in bringing Breaking Bad (and Better Call Saul) to the small screen.  

I can see Hitchcock collaborating with Vince Gilligan b/c he shares his interest in dark characters, his ability to beautifully showcase landscapes (New Mexico) and his ability to create truly believable anti-heros (Walter White).

I would argue that Norman Bates is something of an anti-hero.  Wes Gehring (sp?) touched on this when, in discussing Psycho, he pointed out that we actually *want* the car to sink fully into the swamp; we somehow want to protect Norman from getting caught.   Why is that? Walter White is similar in that he's a meth-making murderer yet somehow we like him, he makes us laugh (pizza on the roof), he is a fully flushed out character with depth. It's confounding, and it works.  It's masterful story telling.

I cheated and googled "Academy Awards Best Costume Design" to look at this list of winners and nominations over the years.  Edith Head has far and away the most nominations!  I don't think there is another Edith Head; she's in a league of her own.  That said, BEFORE googling this, the first movie that came to mind was "Gangs of New York" - for having some of the most memorable and historically accurate costumes.  They were designed by Sandy Powell. Given her connection to Martin Scorsese, and his reverence for Hitchcock, this seems a logical suggestion. 

• picasso55, Rejana Raj, Sea Shell and 2 others like this

#93 Knuckleheads Return

Knuckleheads Return

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationKansas

Posted 02 August 2017 - 08:06 AM

Who would be Hitchcock's new Bernard Herrmann? Who would be his Edith Head? What contemporary writer would Hitchcock have loved to collaborate with? 

​    There are so many highly talented and creative people in the current movie industry that this is a very difficult assignment. However, I have selected three candidates to be Hitchcock's modern collaborators.

For music I have selected Howard Shore. He is a two time Academy Award winner. He created the music for The Hobbit​ series and all three of the Lord of the Rings​ films. He also created the music for ​Silence of the Lambs and The Aviator​. He has also tackled several comedic films to include the ​Saturday Night Live Christmas​! I think he would have the versatility and range to meet Hitchcock's needs. Being able to collaborate with Peter Jackson gives him great credibility.

banners_25.jpg

For costume designer I have selected Lindy Hemming​. She is an award winning costume designer. She won the 2000  Academy Award for the film Topsy-Turvy​. She has been nominated for eleven other awards. These include such films as ​Dark Knight, Batman Begins,  and Harry Potter Chamber of Secrets. She has also done two James Bond films.

Linda_Hemming.jpg

For writer I would recommend Michael Connelly​. He is known for Lincoln Lawyer, Bloodwork and Bosch.​ I think his style would suit Hitchcock.

masthead-background.jpg

• ameliajc, picasso55, Rejana Raj and 3 others like this

#94 Chris_Coombs

Chris_Coombs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 02 August 2017 - 07:49 AM

Who would be Hitchcock's 'Bernard Hermann'? John Williams.

Hitch already worked with Williams on his final film, Family Plot. We know Hitch would reuse people. Williams is a masterful composer who can tackle any genre, so we know no matter what Hitch wanted Williams could create.

We know the power of Bernard Hermann. Think of Psycho without his score. The same is true of John Williams. Think of Jaws without HIS score.

Williams had done spy thrillers (his score for The Eiger Sanction is wonderful), Gothic Horror (Dracula) Sci-Fi Thrillers (Minority Report), Political Dramas (Munich), Action Adventure (Raiders of the Lost Ark), Courtroom Dramas, (Presumed Innocent), ans Horror (Jaws). So Williams has shown he can tackle any Genre even remotely near to Hitchcock, and what Hitchcock might have made.

Much is said of Hitchcock collaborators - editors, Production Designers, costume designers, writers - but one name is often overlooked: Albert Whitlock.An artist and one of the most famous matte artists of all time, Whitlock worked on Hitch's original Man Who Knew Too Much in 1934 right through to Hitch's final film, Family Plot in 1976. That's an over 40 year collaboration!!! Second only to Alma Reville his wife.We know how Hitch loved his matte paintings. And while Whitlock didn't work on EVERY Hitchcock film over those 40 years, he worked on dozens, and many of his Key films from The 39 Steps to Frenzy to The Birds.

Because we know Hitch loved matte shots, and made many scenes that could ONLY be done in matte shots (The overhead shot of Scottie leaving the mission after Madeline's 'death', and Thornhill leaving the UN Building after the murder of Townsend), we can assume he would continue to use mattes in later films. I would think he would work with Weta Workshop, a top notch special effect house that did the digital mattes for the Lord of The Rings trilogy.

• riffraf, ameliajc, Rejana Raj and 1 other like this

#95 Pjdamon

Pjdamon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 07:12 AM

For me it would be John Williams. His career spans from the 60s through today. And he has work not only in the movies but television and was the lead conductor for the Boston Pops for a number of years. A couple of years ago I saw the interview with Williams and Spielberg. They spoke a length about the collaboration between them. It was more than each working in their own world giving each other the special touch. Probably is most famous score was Fiddler On The Roof for score adaptation (he won an Oscar). Other non-Spielberg films include:
The Poseidon Adventure
Tom Sawyer
Cinderella Liberty
Family Plot
Towering Inferno
The Witches of Eastwick
Born on the Fourth of July
JFK
Harry Potter
The Patriot

That was just to name a few. He crossed all genres but most people done realize that.
  • ameliajc, Rejana Raj and sherry.johnson like this

#96 TonyZao

TonyZao

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 07:12 AM

My ideal combination would be something like Hitchcock as director, Tarantino as screenwriter, DiCaprio and Liam Neeson starring and Morricone composing the score. That would be a fitting dream team!

• Rejana Raj and sherry.johnson like this

#97 cy511

cy511

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 05:27 AM

What does 78/52 Mean?
Cy511@aol.com

#98 Cscharre

Cscharre

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 02:29 AM

As for composers, Hitchcock probably would have been known as the person who discovered John Williams rather than Spielberg. Hitchcock's popularity at the time would have led Williams to more willingly work with him than a 'nobody' like Spielberg. However, the late James Horner or Hans Zimmer might be a better choice as this men have worked with so many collaborators and their work has left a memorable mark on cinema already. Zimmer seems like he would listen to the director's input more than others as he has writtten so many varied pieces and for so many different types of films such as, The Lion King and The Dark Knight. It may be a score but it is a totally different audience.
  • TonyZao, Rejana Raj, CHambyClassicFilm and 1 other like this

#99 Dr. Rich Edwards

Dr. Rich Edwards

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts
  • LocationBall State University

Posted 02 August 2017 - 12:51 AM

Hi #Hitchcock50 Students:

We continue our final reflections on 50 Years of Hitchcock with a twist today. 

I want you to engage in some speculative thinking.

Based on what you learned about Hitchcock's collaborators in this class, who do you think Hitchcock would reach out to today to collaborate with him or her, if Hitch were making new films in 2017?

In other words, who would be his new Bernard Herrmann? Who would be his new Edith Head? What contemporary writer would Hitchcock have loved to collaborate with?

Be creative! Hope you enjoy this assignment!

• LaureliaB, Rejana Raj, Linda Cross and 2 others like this

Richard Edwards, PhD

Ball State University

Instructor: TCM Presents: The Master of Suspense: 50 Years of Hitchcock (2017)

Instructor: TCM Presents: Painfully Funny: Exploring Slapstick in the Movies (2016)

Instructor: TCM Presents: Into the Darkness: Investigating Film Noir (2015)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users