We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Is 12 Trump threads here enough yet?

• Please log in to reply
529 replies to this topic

#1 film lover 293

film lover 293

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,041 posts

Posted Today, 11:50 AM

Batali was accused of skimming tips from his workers in 2012.  He paid 5.25 million to settle the allegations.  Not a trustworthy source of financial information.

Source--huffingtonpost.com.

#2 MovieMadness

MovieMadness

Bogie Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,720 posts
  • LocationHigh Sierra

Posted Today, 11:46 AM

Emmy Awards Match All-Time Low Of 2016 With 11.4M Viewers; Hits Demo Low

With 11.38 million viewers tuning into the 69th annual Primetime Emmy Awards is even with last year’s show on ABC, which was the all-time low. The 2016 show was down 5% from the 2015 show, which was the previous low. Among adults 18-49, last night’s Emmys snagged a 2.5 rating. That’s down 10% from the Jimmy Kimmel hosted show of last year, the previous demo low.

Full of repeated swipes at Donald Trump from Colbert and almost everyone else on-stage last night, the 2017 Emmys also faced the well-followed Atlanta Falcons and Green Bay Packers over on Sunday Night Football. Kicked off with a dubious Sean Spicer cameo, the awards show also was up against around 30 minutes of the Denver Broncos’ ratings strong pounding of the Dallas Cowboy that spilled over in to FOX’s primetime. While unlikely to have had a big impact on the Emmys numbers, Sunday was the debut of Ken Burns’ new The Vietnam War documentary series on PBS too.

They always have lots of excuses why this happens, but maybe it's because fewer people want to sit through all the Hollywood drivel?

Things are never so bad they can't be made worse.

#3 MovieMadness

MovieMadness

Bogie Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,720 posts
  • LocationHigh Sierra

Posted Today, 11:42 AM

Mario Batali Thinks It's A Bad Idea To Increase The Minimum Wage

Mario Batali, the man behind the Eataly empire, owner of several restaurants across the globe and the person responsible for buying most of the world’s orange Crocs, thinks the minimum wage increase is a bad idea for the restaurant industry.

Batali explained that this hike will raise the cost of running restaurants close to 30 percent higher than their operational costs now, which will result in the shuttering of restaurants after their profit margins become even slimmer.

“I know, in San Francisco, a lot of my friends are closing their restaurants because they went from 10 percent margin to 3 percent margin, or from 6 percent margin to 0 percent margin,” Batali said.

Another outcome Batali fears will result from a raise in minimum wage is that restaurants will be forced to increase their prices.

“It’s gonna happen. It’s gonna cost 50 bucks to go to a restaurant pretty soon in America.”

This has always been a bad idea and minimum wage workers are being laid off because of it.

#4 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

There is nothing as bad as something not so bad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,228 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted Today, 11:40 AM

Somebody, anybody needs to remind trump that his job is to uphold and execute the Constitution.

If he doesn't like it, I can only ascertain that he's not a very patriotic citizen and that he doesn't like what America stands for.

While I agree that Trump needs to be remind so do all politicians.    E.g. those that make their city a sanctuary city or like CA a sanctuary state.

As for the Travel Ban;   The SCOTUS needs to rule on this,  sanctuary cities and a host of other issues,  in a more 'real time' manner.    It is taking far to long and this is disruptive to everyone.

#5 Princess of Tap

Princess of Tap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,139 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:22 PM

45]

45]
B6jfU7d6_bigger.jpgMiranda YaverVerified account @mirandayaver
More

Miranda Yaver Retweeted The Hill

Trump: "Sorry about our pesky Constitution. I don't like it either."

Somebody, anybody needs to remind trump that his job is to uphold and execute the Constitution.

If he doesn't like it, I can only ascertain that he's not a very patriotic citizen and that he doesn't like what America stands for.

#6 MovieMadness

MovieMadness

Bogie Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,720 posts
  • LocationHigh Sierra

Posted Yesterday, 09:21 AM

Poll: Majority of voters back Trump travel ban

A clear majority of voters support President Donald Trump’s travel ban on visitors from six predominantly Muslim countries, according to a new POLITICO/Morning Consult poll.

Polling on the travel restrictions has varied wildly since the Trump administration unveiled the first executive order on travel in late January. But after months of litigation and controversy, 6-in-10 voters back the ban — and the survey suggests the actual policy may be more popular when separated from the president.

Asked whether they support or oppose the State Department’s “new guidelines which say visa applicants from six predominately Muslim countries must prove a close family relationship with a U.S. resident in order to enter the country,” 60 percent of respondents said they support the guidelines, and only 28 percent oppose them.

The President should be allowed to control who comes into this country, that is his job. Especially considering their are many terrorist acts happening around the world coming from certain countries.

#7 MovieMadness

MovieMadness

Bogie Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,720 posts
  • LocationHigh Sierra

Posted Yesterday, 09:16 AM

'Odd' that Canada hasn't joined U.S. missile defence program, ex-top general says

The best way for Canada to defend its people from a nuclear-armed North Korea is to join the  U.S. anti-ballistic missile defence program, argues a former chief of the defence staff.

And Tom Lawson, who served as Canada's top general under former prime minister Stephen Harper, said he's heartened to see signals from the Liberal government that they might be open to it.

The Liberal government chose in its recent defence policy to remain outside of the U.S. anti-ballistic missile program, upholding a decision made more than a decade ago by former liberal prime minister Paul Martin.

But Lawson said the defence policy does have a line about engaging "the United States to look more broadly at emerging threats and perils to North America, across all domains as part of Norad modernization."

"If a rogue nation fired a ballistic missile at the United States and it went off course towards Canada, it's not a certain thing that that missile would be brought down by American ballistic missile defence, because Canada hasn't signed on," said Lawson, who also served as the deputy commander of the North American Aerospace Defence Command.

If only the Canadian citizens followed their own government as much as they love to complain about the U.S, maybe they would know what's happening with their military.

#8 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Lone Wolf

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,583 posts
  • LocationThe Octagon

Posted 18 September 2017 - 07:47 PM

Nope again, as usual all you can do is make stuff up instead of debating the facts. 

This quote, coming from the source that it does, is the funniest thing that's been posted all day.

• mr6666, Arturo, jamesjazzguitar and 3 others like this

#9 Princess of Tap

Princess of Tap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,139 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 07:36 PM

That's what I said - sitting out the war and profiteering from it instead of fighting.

Canada declared war on Germany on Sept. 7, 1939. Canadians went to war right from the beginning and died for the freedom of the world.

What did you do? Diddly-****.

(See Below)

#10 Princess of Tap

Princess of Tap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,139 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 07:35 PM

You got ****, a-hole.

Canada declared war on Germany on Sept. 7, 1939. Canadians went to war right from the beginning and died for the freedom of the world.

What did you cowards do?

And Kansan General Dwight Eisenhower directed The predominantly American allied forces in Europe in the Normandy invasion, The Liberation of Paris, culminating in the Battle of the Bulge and The Taking of Berlin to the end of World War II in Europe with the unbelievable work and sacrifice of the Russian people in the Soviet Union on the Eastside of Europe.

Talking about Italy - - long-time former Kansas senator Bob Dole lost use of an arm near Bologne.

That's just what 2 Kansans were doing during World War II. I'm sure that there were many other Americans from the other 48 States doing a whole lot as well.

I know all of that first-hand because my father told me about it because he was in every one of those wartime actions. Along with quite a few other American men.

For information on the Pacific you need to check with Senator John McCain. His grandfather was an admiral commanding parts of the Pacific for the United States against the Japanese. And his father was also commanding a submarine during World War II in the Pacific.

Ambassador Caroline Kennedy could probably tell you something about her father's work as a naval lieutenant when he commanded the PT 109 boat in the Pacific, which was attacked and sunk.

I can't say that the United States won the entire War, but I think that they did quite a lot in terms of the overall effort for the result.

And I'm not going to stand here and let you call Americans cowards during
World War II because that's an outright lie and we got the dead to prove it.

For starters you can ask Senator Orrin Hatch, the longtime senator from Utah, about what happened to his big brother in World War II. Senator Hatch recently told the media about his big brother, a young soldier who died fighting the Third Reich and Hitler.
  • mr6666 likes this

#11 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,228 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 18 September 2017 - 07:33 PM

Nope again, as usual all you can do is make stuff up instead of debating the facts. Next you are going to say I support North Korea.

What facts?   That you felt the need to insult Canada for not being a strong military power in 1939?   

What is there to debate there?      You insulted Canada because they have a liberal P.M. and you hate liberals.

(or did you mean the FACT that Canada and the USA are members of NATO and therefore have agreed to come to each other defense)?  

• mr6666, TomJH and film lover 293 like this

#12 darkblue

darkblue

child of vision

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,725 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 07:28 PM

Waiting for Pearl Harbor in Dec 1941 and in the meantime
giving the United Kingdom any and everything they wanted in the Lend-Lease Act.

Plus dedicating our partnership to the United Kingdom and the Allies in the Atlantic Charter-- written by both President Franklin Delano Roosevelt and Prime Minister Winston as a plan for the post-war era because we intended to win. LOL

That's what I said - sitting out the war and profiteering from it instead of fighting.

What did you do? Diddly-****.

White Knights, Manginas and Simps, oh my!

#13 MovieMadness

MovieMadness

Bogie Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,720 posts
  • LocationHigh Sierra

Posted 18 September 2017 - 07:27 PM

I see that you were a supporter of The Third Reich since they were prepared for war and were well armed and equipped.

I always suspected this but now I have proof.    

Nope again, as usual all you can do is make stuff up instead of debating the facts. Next you are going to say I support North Korea.

#14 darkblue

darkblue

child of vision

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,725 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 07:15 PM

I've been to Canada and the United Kingdom and their money looks the same to me--The Queen's on all the money. Either you got loyalty to the Queen's father King George VI in 1939, or you don't. Some choice.

George Washington and the presidents are on our money--

not a queen in sight. LOL

We like the Queen, that's true. That tradition does linger.

And yes, your money does bear the faces of philandering, slave-owning con men who got thousands and thousands of people killed and many more loyalists tortured just so they could rebel against their 'parent', set themselves up as the elite and get out of paying taxes.

How good you must feel about your money.

#15 Princess of Tap

Princess of Tap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,139 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 07:10 PM

Still are. It's called the Commonwealth.

Canada was not a colony of Britain in 1939. We were an independent Dominion. We did not have to declare war on Germany.

Canada's original parent was Britain - just like the U.S.

To assert Canada's independence from the UK, as already established by the Statute of Westminster 1931, Canada's political leaders decided to seek the approval of the Federal Parliament to declare war.Parliament was not scheduled to return until October 2, but returned to session early on September 7 to consider the declaration of war.

Declaring War on Germany in 1939 is the only time in history that Canada has declared war on a nation.

I've been to Canada and the United Kingdom and their money looks the same to me--The Queen's on all the money. Either you got loyalty to the Queen's father King George VI in 1939, or you don't. Some choice.

George Washington and the presidents are on our money--

not a queen in sight. LOL

#16 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,228 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 18 September 2017 - 07:06 PM

Canada WW2

Though Canada was the oldest Dominion in the British Commonwealth, it was, for the most part, reluctant to enter the war.

Canada, with a population somewhere between 11 and 12 million, eventually raised very substantial armed forces. Around 10% of the entire population of Canada joined the army, with only a small portion conscripted. After the long struggle of the Great Depression of the 1930s, the challenges of the Second World War accelerated Canada's ongoing transformation into a modern urban and industrialized nation.

Canada informally followed the British Ten Year Rule that reduced defence spending even after Britain abandoned it in 1932. Having suffered from nearly 20 years of neglect, Canada's armed forces were small, poorly equipped, and for the most part unprepared for war in 1939.

Reluctant to enter the war, small and poorly equipped. I'm sure the world was shaking in their boots.

I see that you were a supporter of The Third Reich since they were prepared for war and were well armed and equipped.

I always suspected this but now I have proof.    

#17 Princess of Tap

Princess of Tap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,139 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 07:05 PM

Bull****.

Canada went to war against Germany in 1939.

Where the **** was the U.S.??

Busy trying to sit out the whole thing and war-profiteering to boot. If it wasn't for the idiocy of Japan in December of 1941, God only knows if you people ever would've gotten off your selfish *** and pitched in.

Waiting for Pearl Harbor in Dec 1941 and in the meantime
giving the United Kingdom any and everything they wanted in the Lend-Lease Act.

Plus dedicating our partnership to the United Kingdom and the Allies in the Atlantic Charter-- written by both President Franklin Delano Roosevelt and Prime Minister Winston as a plan for the post-war era because we intended to win. LOL

#18 darkblue

darkblue

child of vision

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,725 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 07:01 PM

Canada was still part of the British empire

Still are. It's called the Commonwealth.

so of course they joined their 'parent' in the war effort.

Canada was not a colony of Britain in 1939. We were an independent Dominion. We did not have to declare war on Germany.

Canada's original parent was Britain - just like the U.S.

To assert Canada's independence from the UK, as already established by the Statute of Westminster 1931, Canada's political leaders decided to seek the approval of the Federal Parliament to declare war. Parliament was not scheduled to return until October 2, but returned to session early on September 7 to consider the declaration of war.

Declaring War on Germany in 1939 is the only time in history that Canada has declared war on a nation.

#19 MovieMadness

MovieMadness

Bogie Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,720 posts
  • LocationHigh Sierra

Posted 18 September 2017 - 06:59 PM

Canada WW2

Though Canada was the oldest Dominion in the British Commonwealth, it was, for the most part, reluctant to enter the war.

Canada, with a population somewhere between 11 and 12 million, eventually raised very substantial armed forces. Around 10% of the entire population of Canada joined the army, with only a small portion conscripted. After the long struggle of the Great Depression of the 1930s, the challenges of the Second World War accelerated Canada's ongoing transformation into a modern urban and industrialized nation.

Canada informally followed the British Ten Year Rule that reduced defence spending even after Britain abandoned it in 1932. Having suffered from nearly 20 years of neglect, Canada's armed forces were small, poorly equipped, and for the most part unprepared for war in 1939.

Reluctant to enter the war, small and poorly equipped. I'm sure the world was shaking in their boots.

#20 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,228 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 18 September 2017 - 06:50 PM

Bull****.

Canada went to war against Germany in 1939.

Where the **** was the U.S.??

Busy trying to sit out the whole thing and war-profiteering to boot. If it wasn't for the idiocy of Japan in December of 1941, God only knows if you people ever would've gotten off your selfish *** and pitched in.

Canada was still part of the British empire so of course they joined their 'parent' in the war effort.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users