We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Is 12 Trump threads here enough yet?

• Please log in to reply
529 replies to this topic

#21 darkblue

darkblue

child of vision

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,725 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 05:33 PM

Not to mention Canada's participation and support in World War II and the Korean War.

It also means that these two countries, Canada and the United States of America have come together and shed blood together in the name of democracy and freedom.

Bull****.

Canada went to war against Germany in 1939.

Where the **** was the U.S.??

Busy trying to sit out the whole thing and war-profiteering to boot. If it wasn't for the idiocy of Japan in December of 1941, God only knows if you people ever would've gotten off your selfish *** and pitched in.

White Knights, Manginas and Simps, oh my!

#22 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

There is nothing as bad as something not so bad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,229 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 18 September 2017 - 03:47 PM

Next kids will boycotts schools because forcing education on them violates their rights.  

I didn't stand or say the pledge since some silly nonsense word was added to it in the 50s.

It appears you're saying schools should be allowed to violate a student's rights.

This is a free speech issue;  the government can NOT force someone to say something.  But of course you don't respect the US Constitution,  you only claim to and accuses liberals of not doing so.     

• mr6666, film lover 293 and Princess of Tap like this

#23 Vautrin

Vautrin

Quel siecle a mains!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,367 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 18 September 2017 - 03:43 PM

The SCOTUS ruled many years ago that students cannot be forced to say 

the Pledge of Allegiance. Guess this teacher needs to go back to school.

• mr6666, Arturo and film lover 293 like this

Curse Sir Walter Raleigh, he was such a stupid get.

#24 Vautrin

Vautrin

Quel siecle a mains!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,367 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 18 September 2017 - 03:43 PM

The SCOTUS ruled many years ago that students cannot be forced to say 

the Pledge of Allegiance. Guess this teacher needs to go back to school.

• Arturo likes this

Curse Sir Walter Raleigh, he was such a stupid get.

#25 Princess of Tap

Princess of Tap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,140 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 03:30 PM

We aided you in the Afghanistan invasion because it was part of a NATO agreement. Thankfully we are less likely to be attacked by a foreign entity than the Untied States. Meanwhile the world is praying that that idiot Trump doesn't start something.
Instead of getting ready for his meetings with world leaders this weekend what was he doing? Trolling web sites for gifs of him hitting Hillary Clinton with a golf ball. The word is out in Washington. Trump is incapable of doing any homework. He's an idiot.

Not to mention Canada's participation and support in World War II and the Korean War.

That's what it means to be a Nation's Ally.

It's not just trade agreements and photo ops.

It also means that these two countries, Canada and the United States of America have come together and shed blood together in the name of democracy and freedom.
  • Arturo likes this

#26 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,229 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 18 September 2017 - 03:20 PM

I'm saying that all 29 NATO nations are pledged to come to the defense of one another if one of them is attacked. You didn't know that?

Nice try Tom but it isn't possible to get points across to someone that is so ignorant and stubbornly so to boot.

#27 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,996 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 18 September 2017 - 03:00 PM

So you're saying you want Donald Trump to protect you?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

That's the way it always works with the snowflakes.

We aided you in the Afghanistan invasion because it was part of a NATO agreement.  Thankfully we are less likely to be attacked by a foreign entity than the Untied States.  Meanwhile the world is praying that that idiot Trump doesn't start something.

Instead of getting ready for his meetings with world leaders this weekend what was he doing? Trolling web sites for gifs of him hitting Hillary Clinton with a golf ball.  The word is out in Washington.  Trump is incapable of doing any homework.  He's an idiot.

• Arturo and film lover 293 like this

#28 TomJH

TomJH

I know what gold does to men's souls.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,995 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 02:57 PM

I'm saying that all 29 NATO nations are pledged to come to the defense of one another if one of them is attacked. You didn't know that?

• mr6666 and Arturo like this

#29 MovieMadness

MovieMadness

Bogie Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,720 posts
  • LocationHigh Sierra

Posted 18 September 2017 - 02:47 PM

How you wallow in ignorance, MM. Canada was one of the 12 founding members of NATO (oh, yeh, the U.S. was too - more news for you, undoubtedly). That article is either fake news, or that general doesn't have a clue what he's talking about. Sure as hell you don't.

Things are never so bad they can't be made worse.

#30 TomJH

TomJH

I know what gold does to men's souls.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,995 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 01:59 PM

US policy is 'not to defend Canada' from an attack by North Korea

It is official US policy not to protect Canada in the event of a missile attack by North Korea or any other country, a leading general has warned.

It has long been assumed that Washington would defend its northern neighbour.

However, General Pierre St-Amand, the highest-ranking Canadian officer in the North American Aerospace Defense Command (Norad), dismissed the idea during a parliamentary committee meeting in Ottawa.

“The extent of the US policy is not to defend Canada. That's the fact I can bring to the table,” he said.

This statement surprised many in Canada, with public broadcaster CBC saying it had “demolished a long-held political assumption” that the US would intervene.

If your country isn't going to accept all the refugees and continues to pollute the coastal waters, why should we defend you?

How you wallow in ignorance, MM. Canada was one of the 12 founding members of NATO (oh, yeh, the U.S. was too - more news for you, undoubtedly). That article is either fake news, or that general doesn't have a clue what he's talking about. Sure as hell you don't.

• Arturo likes this

#31 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,229 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 18 September 2017 - 01:15 PM

The NATO agreement IS the co-operative defence agreement between the U.S. and Canada.  America used this to call upon its NATO allies when it was attacked by terrorists HQ'd in Afghanistan.  So, the reverse would hold as well.

It appears I incorrectly assumed Canada was NOT part of NATO.   But yea, if Canada is a NATO member then what this Canadian general said (assuming he did say what is reported),  is factually incorrect.

#32 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,996 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 18 September 2017 - 12:48 PM

I believe all the facts in this story are true,  but the way it is presented is fake news.

“The extent of the US policy is not to defend Canada. That's the fact I can bring to the table,” he said.

As far as I know Canada and the US do NOT have a mutual defense agreement similar to NATO.    Therefore the statement about 'US Policy' is true:  neither country is required,  per agreement, to defend the other.

But the fake part of the story is: "It has long been assumed that Washington would defend its northern neighbor".

I believe Canadians can still assume that the US would support Canada if it was attacked, even a Trump admin.  E.g. if Canada was attacked and declared war on the aggressor,  the US would likely declare war on said aggressor.

The funny thing here is the story is a veiled attack on Trump and the foolish Trump supporters here didn't understand that.  What fools.

The NATO agreement IS the co-operative defence agreement between the U.S. and Canada.  America used this to call upon its NATO allies when it was attacked by terrorists HQ'd in Afghanistan.  So, the reverse would hold as well.

#33 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,229 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 18 September 2017 - 12:26 PM

I guess that is the thanks you get for coming to America's assistance in Afghanistan through the NATO alliance.  I doubt this story is true by the way.

I believe all the facts in this story are true,  but the way it is presented is fake news.

As far as I know Canada and the US do NOT have a mutual defense agreement similar to NATO.    Therefore the statement about 'US Policy' is true:  neither country is required,  per agreement, to defend the other.

But the fake part of the story is: "It has long been assumed that Washington would defend its northern neighbor".

I believe Canadians can still assume that the US would support Canada if it was attacked, even a Trump admin.  E.g. if Canada was attacked and declared war on the aggressor,  the US would likely declare war on said aggressor.

The funny thing here is the story is a veiled attack on Trump and the foolish Trump supporters here didn't understand that.  What fools.

#34 hamradio

hamradio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,382 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 12:09 PM

I guess that is the thanks you get for coming to America's assistance in Afghanistan through the NATO alliance.  I doubt this story is true by the way.

Got to defend those poppy fields you know. :angry:

You-put-the-hero-in-heroin.jpg

#35 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,996 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 18 September 2017 - 12:03 PM

Canadians should defend their own country.  Should we pay for their defense as well? :huh:

• Arturo likes this

#36 hamradio

hamradio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,382 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 11:17 AM

It is official US policy not to protect Canada in the event of a missile attack by North Korea or any other country, a leading general has warned.

However, General Pierre St-Amand, the highest-ranking Canadian officer in the North American Aerospace Defense Command (Norad), dismissed the idea during a parliamentary committee meeting in Ottawa.

This statement surprised many in Canada, with public broadcaster CBC saying it had “demolished a long-held political assumption” that the US would intervene.

If your country isn't going to accept all the refugees and continues to pollute the coastal waters, why should we defend you?

Canadians should defend their own country.  Should we pay for their defense as well? :huh:

Edited by hamradio, 18 September 2017 - 11:40 AM.

#37 hamradio

hamradio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,382 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 11:15 AM

Teacher on leave after boy is forced to stand during Pledge

FARMINGTON HILLS, Mich. (AP) — A Detroit-area teacher is on leave after an 11-year-old boy said he was physically forced out of his chair during the Pledge of Allegiance.

Stone Chaney, a sixth-grader in the Farmington district, said he makes a pledge to God and family — not a flag — and has skipped participation since second grade.

He said he was doing homework during the pledge on Sept. 7 when a teacher at East Middle School "snatched" him out of his chair.

"I told the lady that I don't stand for the pledge and she just kind of glared at me. ... I was confused when it happened because I didn't know what was going on. And then I was irritated because that's not supposed to happen," Stone said.

He said another teacher the next day yelled at him to stand up.

You should be standing up during the Pledge Of Allegiance unless you have a physical disability. This is what happens when you let the school system go PC, nobody is in control.

Next kids will boycotts schools because forcing education on them violates their rights.  

#38 MovieMadness

MovieMadness

Bogie Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,720 posts
  • LocationHigh Sierra

Posted 18 September 2017 - 11:12 AM

Teacher on leave after boy is forced to stand during Pledge

FARMINGTON HILLS, Mich. (AP) — A Detroit-area teacher is on leave after an 11-year-old boy said he was physically forced out of his chair during the Pledge of Allegiance.

Stone Chaney, a sixth-grader in the Farmington district, said he makes a pledge to God and family — not a flag — and has skipped participation since second grade.

He said he was doing homework during the pledge on Sept. 7 when a teacher at East Middle School "snatched" him out of his chair.

"I told the lady that I don't stand for the pledge and she just kind of glared at me. ... I was confused when it happened because I didn't know what was going on. And then I was irritated because that's not supposed to happen," Stone said.

He said another teacher the next day yelled at him to stand up.

You should be standing up during the Pledge Of Allegiance unless you have a physical disability. This is what happens when you let the school system go PC, nobody is in control.

#39 MovieMadness

MovieMadness

Bogie Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,720 posts
  • LocationHigh Sierra

Posted 18 September 2017 - 11:08 AM

#40 darkblue

darkblue

child of vision

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,725 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 03:47 AM

Hillary's numbers are still below Trump's.

And Bernie is clobbering them both. 

White Knights, Manginas and Simps, oh my!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

mr6666