We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Is 12 Trump threads here enough yet?

• Please log in to reply
529 replies to this topic

#461 TomJH

TomJH

I know what gold does to men's souls.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,995 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 11:49 AM

MovieMadness--The bad economic news was due to the Recession Obama inherited from George W. Bush, a REPUBLICAN President.  Your selective memory is showing, MM.

Not to mention the fact that Trump inherited an increasingly healthy economy thanks to Obama. Trump just had a July jobs count at a little more than a million for his first six months. That is good but it is also continuing the trend from Obama, who had more than 2 million jobs added to the economy last year.

Donald Trump didn't inherit an economy that was a mess, as he likes to say. It was Barack Obama who was in that position in 2008.

• TheCid, Sepiatone, ChristineHoard and 1 other like this

#462 film lover 293

film lover 293

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,041 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 11:18 AM

MovieMadness--The bad economic news was due to the Recession Obama inherited from George W. Bush, a REPUBLICAN President.  Your selective memory is showing, MM.

• TheCid, TomJH and ChristineHoard like this

#463 film lover 293

film lover 293

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,041 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 11:15 AM

MovieMadness--One misspelling from Obama is NOTHING compared to all of Trump's misspellings in his Twittering Tweets; or Dan Quayle (remember him?) misspelling potato at a spelling bee he was visiting.

"POTATO...E"

Trumps' cabinet nominees/appointments haven't been spotless in their private life; Obama never nominated a wifebeater; Trump did (Andy Puzder, Secretary of Labor nominee).

Trump curtseyed to Saudi king on May 20th, 2017.  Why would Trump curtsy to an Arab leader?  Time to re-ask that question for forgetful posters.

The Austrian people would disagree with you about their language being "Non-Existent". According to Google, official languages of Austria include;  Austrian-German, Slovenian, Hungarian, and German.  Austrian DIALECTS include: Central Austro-Bavarian (spoken in northern Austria, including Vienna),  Southern Austro-Bavarian, etc.  Check Wikipedia.

• mr6666 likes this

#464 MovieMadness

MovieMadness

Bogie Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,720 posts
  • LocationHigh Sierra

Posted 06 August 2017 - 11:08 AM

Obama Asks for Patience on Economy, Unemployment

President Obama spent his first six months in office arguing that the government needed to move as fast as possible to save the economy. But now, while he still favors aggressive government action, he is increasingly emphasizing the politics of patience as he tries to maintain the support and trust of the American people.

It's unclear whether this will work, because polls show mounting anxiety about Obama's policies. These include his $787 billion stimulus package, which has not had a huge impact so far, and, more broadly, the vast spending that has pushed the federal deficit to the unprecedented level of more than $1 trillion this year.

What seems most unsettling to voters is that unemployment keeps going up. It is now at 9.5 percent, the highest in more than 25 years, and the rate is expected to climb to 10 or 11 percent in the next few months. Obama advisers had predicted that his stimulus package would hold unemployment at or below 8 percent.

At the six-month mark in Obama's presidency, unemployment was still going up, and Obama had no answers for any of it. The "stimulus" package was a lie, it was suppose to hold down unemployment and it did the opposite. Compare that to today with Trump as President, where we have a growing economy and improving jobs growth.

Things are never so bad they can't be made worse.

#465 MovieMadness

MovieMadness

Bogie Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,720 posts
  • LocationHigh Sierra

Posted 06 August 2017 - 10:52 AM

Top 10 Obama Gaffes in his first year

Burns 9,000 Gallons of Jet Fuel on Earth Day

Jabs at Special Olympics on Whirlwind TV Tour

References Non-Existent "Austrian" Language

Fumbles Gift-Giving Exchanges with British Leaders

Delivers Muslim "Love Speech" in Cairo

Selects Cabinet Nominees With Embarrassing Problems

As Commander-In-Chief During Wartime, Arranges Romantic Date Night

Bows Deeply to Saudi King Abdullah

TelePrompter Overuse Results in Bumbled Oratories

Misspells "Advice" in letter to fan
obamabow-johnstillwell-56a9a5835f9b58b7d

Why would President Obama bow to a Saudi King? How quickly the world forgets.

#466 TomJH

TomJH

I know what gold does to men's souls.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,995 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 10:52 AM

Obama retakes oath of office after inauguration stumble

Out of "an abundance of caution", Barack Obama has taken the oath of office a second time because a word was out of sequence when he was sworn in on Tuesday.

The surprise move came after Tuesday's much-noticed stumble, when the US supreme court chief justice, John Roberts, jumbled the words, prompting Obama to follow suit.

According to the US Constitution, the president must solemnly swear "that I will faithfully execute the office of president of the United States". But on Tuesday, Obama said: "I will execute the office of president of the United States faithfully."

This is how it all started out, Obama had to retake the oath of office because they bungled the words together. Another most embarrassing moment in Obama's Presidency.

You're actually reaching back nine years because of a word stumble by a supreme court justice to take another crack at Obama? That's not even Obama's fault!

Why don't you have any comment on Trump blaming Congress for the state of poor relations with Russia today? He doesn't blame Putin or Russian interference in the election for it! He blames Congress because of sanctions to punish Russia for its interference.

Just who does Trump represent anyway, his own country which was cyber attacked by a foreign nation (and undoubtedly will be again by that same nation in future elections) or Vladimir Putin? Now that is an embarrassment for the Oval Office to have an occupant who would do that!

• mr6666 likes this

#467 MovieMadness

MovieMadness

Bogie Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,720 posts
  • LocationHigh Sierra

Posted 06 August 2017 - 10:41 AM

Obama retakes oath of office after inauguration stumble

Out of "an abundance of caution", Barack Obama has taken the oath of office a second time because a word was out of sequence when he was sworn in on Tuesday.

The surprise move came after Tuesday's much-noticed stumble, when the US supreme court chief justice, John Roberts, jumbled the words, prompting Obama to follow suit.

According to the US Constitution, the president must solemnly swear "that I will faithfully execute the office of president of the United States". But on Tuesday, Obama said: "I will execute the office of president of the United States faithfully."

This is how it all started out, Obama had to retake the oath of office because they bungled the words together. Another most embarrassing moment in Obama's Presidency.

#468 NipkowDisc

NipkowDisc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,707 posts
  • Locationzaygon hegemony

Posted 06 August 2017 - 10:03 AM

I have never thought of science as stupid my whole life. man, I used to love reading books about science as it applies to the natural world when I was a kid. my favorites were the Herbert S. Zim golden guide books. I even took the theory of evolution at face value into my late teens...

the problem is that today's science advocates rudely, arrogantly and dismissively disregard anyone who has questions. they say they cannot substantively deal with religion and superstition. they insist that we are going to cling to 'that old time religion' no matter what they impart. in short they claim that their detractors are hopelessly ignorant and unreachable.

just how open are they to suspending their fixed arbitrary scientific conclusions for the sake of honest debate???

I doan see that they are very much.

I doan have anyone on ignore. I simply doan think that way. :)

"fear is normal...but stop thinking about it."  -gregory peck, twelve o'clock high

"okay, so we're moving right along, folks" -al pacino, dog day afternoon

#469 TheCid

TheCid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,699 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 06 August 2017 - 07:54 AM

So we must jump through hoops. Considering the source in another way, may be I shouldn't ask too much of a type who thinks science is stupid.

:rolleyes:

Thanks, 293.

I have him on ignore so I don't see most of his posts unless they are quoted by someone else.

• Princess of Tap likes this

#470 Sepiatone

Sepiatone

Enhanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,048 posts
  • LocationLincoln Park, MI

Posted 06 August 2017 - 07:49 AM

Dancing in a foreign country with your hosts in their cultural dance is part of respecting another country's culture.

If I were president, and considering HOW I dance, my joining in would be seen as anything BUT respectful.  ;)

As to voting reasons.....

Sure.  I had a father in law like that.  Would vote for the democrat REGARDLESS of who it was. 

Sepiatone

I started out with NOTHING...and still have most of it left!

#471 laffite

laffite

Oh Johnneeeeee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,725 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 06 August 2017 - 03:35 AM

Poodles are good at that, are they not?

I don't know, are they?

"Nay, do not think I flatter.

No, let the candied tongue lick absurd pomp,

And crook the pregnant hinges of the knee

Where thrift may follow fawning."

#472 darkblue

darkblue

child of vision

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,725 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 02:38 AM

So we must jump through hoops.

Poodles are good at that, are they not?

White Knights, Manginas and Simps, oh my!

#473 laffite

laffite

Oh Johnneeeeee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,725 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 06 August 2017 - 02:15 AM

lafitte,and anyone else interested--LawrenceA posted about this earlier--to get the date and Full headline of MovieMadness' posts, go to Google, or whatever search engine you prefer, and type the headline just as MM did, with punctuation and all.  The article and date of the article will come up.

So we must jump through hoops. Considering the source in another way, may be I shouldn't ask too much of a type who thinks science is stupid.

:rolleyes:

Thanks, 293.

• film lover 293 likes this

#474 Vautrin

Vautrin

Quel siecle a mains!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,367 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 05 August 2017 - 05:34 PM

...which is a bit of a challenge sometimes because he persists in not revealing his sources.

I'm sure that's why he does it, so it can't be traced to see what he

omitted. I first noticed that in the Stupid Science thread. As film lover

says you can usually find the specific article if you google his exact

headline. 

• TheCid and film lover 293 like this

Curse Sir Walter Raleigh, he was such a stupid get.

#475 TheCid

TheCid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,699 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 05 August 2017 - 05:15 PM

lafitte,and anyone else interested--LawrenceA posted about this earlier--to get the date and Full headline of MovieMadness' posts, go to Google, or whatever search engine you prefer, and type the headline just as MM did, with punctuation and all.  The article and date of the article will come up.

Thanks, I thought he just made it up.

• LawrenceA and film lover 293 like this

#476 film lover 293

film lover 293

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,041 posts

Posted 05 August 2017 - 05:03 PM

lafitte, and anyone else interested--LawrenceA posted about this earlier--to get the date and Full headline of MovieMadness' posts, go to Google, or whatever search engine you prefer, and type the headline just as MM did, with punctuation and all.  The article and date of the article will come up.

• mr6666 and TheCid like this

#477 laffite

laffite

Oh Johnneeeeee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,725 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 05 August 2017 - 04:47 PM

When it comes to MM's posts, it's best to go with a paraphrase

of the old Reagan adage--Don't trust, verify.

...which is a bit of a challenge sometimes because he persists in not revealing his sources.

• mr6666, Arturo and TheCid like this

#478 TheCid

TheCid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,699 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 05 August 2017 - 04:47 PM

The "typical" American voter is a tough one to nail down.  They individually believe what they want to and vote for whose rhetoric plays to those beliefs, regardless of the candidate's ability, willingness or authority to be able to fullfill it.  And it's mostly single-minded as to the reason why the "typical" American voter casts their votes the way they do.

I've mentioned this before, but it serves as a good example of what I mean, so here goes again.....

I had two brothers in law( now deceased) who were brothers, and both thought along the same lines.  They were both "pro gun", anti-abortion, pro capital punishment, anti gay rights, indifferent to the environment, male chauvinists, and racial bigots.  Everything republican voters are believed to be( in fact, another brother in law is ALL those things and republican too!)  yet every four years on election day, they voted for the DEMOCRAT.

Why?  It's because they both too, were autoworkers and long time U.A.W. members who also long believed the democrats were the party that was for "the working man",  and republicans only cared about the rich. 

THERE'S your "typical American voter".  And the key to how Trump won the election, if only by the EC.  He preached to the largest choir, regardless of how simple and narrow minded their repertoire was.

Sepiatone

Reminds me of most white government employees in S.C.  They continue to vote for Republicans at all levels, even though these are the very legislators who cut salaries, eliminate positions, raise retirement and health care contributions, etc.

Why?  Because many are racist or just hate Democrats.  They drink the Kool Aid when GOPers say they will make everything better.

• Arturo and Sepiatone like this

#479 TheCid

TheCid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,699 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 05 August 2017 - 04:43 PM

Sorry buster. There are posts on threads here comparing the Million+ jobs created from 02/2017-07/2017 under Trump, compared with 1.7 Million for the same period last year under Obama. Additionally, Trump is taking credit for many jobs that were already in the works when he came in office.

Not to mention that the real problem is not the number of jobs, but the stagnation of incomes for the middle and working classes.  More people may be employed, but they are making very little.  They are also being hired for low-paying jobs.

Then you have the multi-billionaires such as the Trump family and supporters who continue to see their incomes skyrocket. Salivating over the soon tax cuts only for the wealthiest Americans.

• Arturo and Sepiatone like this

#480 Vautrin

Vautrin

Quel siecle a mains!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,367 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 05 August 2017 - 04:25 PM

When it comes to MM's posts, it's best to go with a paraphrase

of the old Reagan adage--Don't trust, verify.

• Arturo, TheCid and film lover 293 like this

Curse Sir Walter Raleigh, he was such a stupid get.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users