We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Musical Must-Sees

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#41 DougieB

DougieB

I Love Melvin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,711 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 07:36 AM

I'm not sure I'd call it a must-see, but I really like Out of This World​ (1945) in which Diana Lynn leads an all-girl band with guy singer Eddie Bracken (dubbed by Bing Crosby).

For the 1950's, you've got to add one of my favorites, definitely a must-see, L'i Abner ​(1959). It's dated and not dated at the same time, being such a perfect time capsule of 50's social and political satire, with a truly witty and inventive score.

Also Pajama Game,​ which was discussed in another thread here.

For the 1960's, definitely Gypsy.​ It may not be the definitive cast, but it's one of the all-time great musicals.

• TopBilled, LawrenceA, film lover 293 and 1 other like this

"When Fortuna spins you downward, go out to a movie and get more out of life."...Ignatious J. Reilly, A Confederacy of Dunces

#42 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Watchman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,107 posts
  • LocationThe Wild Frontier

Posted 09 August 2017 - 12:51 AM

Nice lists. You should add in a few from unexpected sources. For instance, some musicals from Britain as well as musicals from Hollywood made at Republic Pictures, a studio that is more associated with westerns.

Republic ones I'd recommend include:

BRAZIL (1944)...nominated for three Oscars, a truly exceptional musical with a south-of-the-border theme

ATLANTIC CITY (1944)...a musical romance with good numbers by lead actress Constance Moore and excellent specialty numbers with Dorothy Dandridge and Louis Armstrong

I'VE ALWAYS LOVED YOU (1946)...a musical drama directed by Frank Borzage, it was Republic's only Technicolor film (they developed their own colour process known as Trucolor).

Some British musicals to see:

SAILING ALONG (1938)...with Jessie Matthews

THE COURNEYS OF CURZON STREET (1947)...the top film in Britain that year, featuring various musical interludes with star Anna Neagle though it's classified as a historical drama

All the ones that I listed are what I've already seen. The ones I have to watch this time around I haven't listed, but they include many of the remaining Astaire-Rogers films, a few Judy Garland movies, the two big Christmas musicals that I've never seen (White Christmas and Holiday Inn), others such as CarouselOklahoma, and a box-set of public domain musicals.

I'll definitely see about adding the ones that you've mentioned. Thanks!

#43 TopBilled

TopBilled

Film Writing and Selected Journalism

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,553 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 11:54 PM

Nice lists. You should add in a few from unexpected sources. For instance, some musicals from Britain as well as musicals from Hollywood made at Republic Pictures, a studio that is more associated with westerns.

Republic ones I'd recommend include:

BRAZIL (1944)...nominated for three Oscars, a truly exceptional musical with a south-of-the-border theme

ATLANTIC CITY (1944)...a musical romance with good numbers by lead actress Constance Moore and excellent specialty numbers with Dorothy Dandridge and Louis Armstrong

I'VE ALWAYS LOVED YOU (1946)...a musical drama directed by Frank Borzage, it was Republic's only Technicolor film (they developed their own colour process known as Trucolor).

Some British musicals to see:

SAILING ALONG (1938)...with Jessie Matthews

THE COURNEYS OF CURZON STREET (1947)...the top film in Britain that year, featuring various musical interludes with star Anna Neagle though it's classified as a historical drama

• LawrenceA likes this

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#44 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Watchman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,107 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 06:41 PM

1960s

Let's Make Love

West Side Story

Flower Drum Song

The Music Man

Bye Bye Birdie

The Unsinkable Molly Brown

Mary Poppins

My Fair Lady

The Umbrellas of Cherbourg

The Pleasure Seekers

The Sound of Music

Thoroughly Modern Millie

Camelot

Dr. Dolittle

Oliver!

Funny Girl

Finian's Rainbow

Star!

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang

Paint Your Wagon

Goodbye Mr. Chips

Hello, Dolly!

1970s

On a Clear Day You Can See Forever

Scrooge

Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory

Fiddler on the Roof

Cabaret

Man of La Mancha

Funny Lady

Tommy

The Rocky Horror Picture Show

Bugsy Malone

New York, New York

Grease

Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band

The Wiz

All That Jazz

#45 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Watchman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,107 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 06:32 PM

1950s

Tea for Two

Happy Go Lovely

An American in Paris

Starlift

Singin' in the Rain

With a Song in My Heart

April in Paris

Lili

Gentlemen Prefer Blondes

The Band Wagon

The Glenn Miller Story

Seven Brides for Seven Brothers

A Star is Born

Carmen Jones

The Seven Little Foys

Guys and Dolls

The King and I

High Society

Silk Stockings

The Joker is Wild

Jailhouse Rock (assume that I've seen most Elvis movies, as well as other rock act musicals)

South Pacific

Gigi

#46 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Watchman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,107 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 06:29 PM

1940s

Road to Singapore

Dance, Girl Dance

You'll Find Out

Second Chorus

Ziegfeld Girl

In the Navy

The Fleet's In

Yankee Doodle Dandy

Stage Door Canteen

This Is the Army

Thank Your Lucky Stars

Going My Way

Meet Me in St. Louis

Hollywood Canteen

Anchors Aweigh

The Stork Club

Night and Day

When My Baby Smiles at Me

Take Me Out to the Ball Game

On the Town

The Inspector General

#47 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Watchman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,107 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 06:25 PM

Here is a partial listing of what I've seen, concentrating on the sound era through the 1970s:

Through the 1930s

The Jazz Singer

The Broadway Melody

The Hollywood Revue of 1929

Hallelujah

The Love Parade

Monte Carlo

The Smiling Lieutenant

One Hour with You

Love Me Tonight

42nd Street

Gold Diggers of 1933

Footlight Parade

The Gay Divorcee

Flirtation Walk

One Night of Love

Naughty Marietta

Top Hat

Broadway Melody of 1936

The Great Ziegfeld

Show Boat (1936)

Swing Time

Pigskin Parade

Born to Dance

Three Smarts Girls

One Hundred Men and a Girl

Swing High, Swing Low

Something to Sing About

Alexander's Ragtime Band

The Great Waltz

The Wizard of Oz

Babes in Arms

Escape to Paradise

#48 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Watchman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,107 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 06:09 PM

I've begun another chronological journey through the movies, watching the titles I've compiled in year order from the silent era onward. Along with those movies that I haven't seen before that I've taped/purchased over the last few years, I'll also be incorporating a "So Bad So Good" retrospective of cult classics and other oddities, as well as a look at 1950s Sci-fi movies, and capping off the end of each year's films by rewatching my choices for the 10 best movies from each year.

Another component that I'm adding to this movie watching spree will be musicals. I've seen many of the biggest titles, the Oscar winners from the biggest categories. But I still feel it's my most neglected genre, and so I've added several titles to watch for the first time. What I was hoping for from you, dear readers, were any recommendations that you feel are "Must-See" titles if one is to be well-versed in the genre. Feel free to list as many as you wish.

• TopBilled and film lover 293 like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users