We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

"Lord Peter Wimsey" on the little screen - your fave?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 kjrwe

kjrwe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 01:29 AM

I admit that I'm not really a fan of the Lord Peter novels, mostly because of the extreme emphasis on the Peter-Harriet relationship.

Still, I would like to see some of the adaptations. Something tells me that they're better than the novels! 

Some of her short stories (without Lord Peter) are quite creative. I especially like one involving cats, and another one involving a mansion & fountain. (The latter is also a radio play.)

#2 CoraSmith

CoraSmith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 15 August 2017 - 05:55 AM

Of what I've seen I would recommend Clouds of Witness with Ian C., which is also a great detective novel.

#3 Swithin

Swithin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,645 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 12 August 2017 - 01:25 PM

I have been crazy about this guy for so many years.

And, of course, the big frog in this pond is Ian Carmichael.(NINE TAILORS, MURDER MUST ADVERTISE, etc. etc.)

(And for fans of his, he gives a NAKED performance in I'M ALL RIGHT, JACK, a Peter Sellers film.

He's also mentioned - obliquely - in the terrific Stephen King story "Apt Pupil.")

But Edward Petherbridge is darned good in the Dorothy Sayers mysteries series that came later - STRONG POISON, HAVE HIS CARCASE, GAUDY NIGHT.

These are the romantic stories, and he is darned cool. His "Bunter" (Richard Morant) is also great.

Who are your faves, TCM people?

I agree with you. 

Ian Carmichael is always good. I guess I remember "The Nine Tailors" best, so that must have been one of my faves. I love I'm All Right Jack, Heavens Above, Lucky Jim, and The Amorous Mr. Prawn. TCM should feature him in a series.

I've seen Petherbridge on stage many times, he's an amazing actor there as well. Regarding Richard Morant, I remember him best as the bully Flashman, in the BBC Tom Brown's Schooldays (1971).

• CoraSmith likes this

#4 papyrusbeetle

papyrusbeetle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 12 August 2017 - 12:30 PM

I have been crazy about this guy for so many years.

And, of course, the big frog in this pond is Ian Carmichael.(NINE TAILORS, MURDER MUST ADVERTISE, etc. etc.)

(And for fans of his, he gives a NAKED performance in I'M ALL RIGHT, JACK, a Peter Sellers film.

He's also mentioned - obliquely - in the terrific Stephen King story "Apt Pupil.")

But Edward Petherbridge is darned good in the Dorothy Sayers mysteries series that came later - STRONG POISON, HAVE HIS CARCASE, GAUDY NIGHT.

These are the romantic stories, and he is darned cool. His "Bunter" (Richard Morant) is also great.

Who are your faves, TCM people?

• Swithin and CoraSmith like this

"I don't want to die."

"Neither do I, baby, but if I have to, I'm going to die last." -OUT OF THE PAST

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users