We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

RAINBOW RHYTHM - 1943 short subject

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 DickLindsay

DickLindsay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • LocationRancho Mirage, California

Posted 17 August 2017 - 01:08 PM

well, looks like you're right!  I guess she had a very small role in this 'short' film.  Thanks!

#2 MilesArcher

MilesArcher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,796 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 06:57 PM

Here is Jean Porter.

Jean_Porter_in_Thrill_of_a_Romance_still

Here is Martha Mears.

220px-Martha_Mears_1934.jpg

Case closed.

#3 film lover 293

film lover 293

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,908 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 04:19 PM

Here's a link to a picture from imdb of Jean Porter smiling.  Check out the dimples and hair.  I have to give this one to scsu1975 (Good Eyes).  Now I'm almost certain the girl in the picture with Kenny Stevens is Jean Porter.  Link:

http://www.imdb.com/...6/?ref_=nv_sr_1

#4 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

There is nothing as bad as something not so bad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,813 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 13 August 2017 - 02:06 PM

Looking at the first poster, that is definitely Martha Mears at the bottom right, but there is also a girl upper right dancing who is not Martha Mears. Now looking at the second poster, the girl is wearing the same outfit as the dancer, and does not look like Martha Mears. But she does look like Jean Porter. :)

It does look like Jean Porter and she could of had an un-credited role in the film.      Jean married Edward Dmytryk in 1948 and they remained married until he died in 1990.   He did cast her in The Left Hand of God (Bogie \ Tierney).     Jean is still with us.

#5 scsu1975

scsu1975

Tor B the Man

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,828 posts
  • LocationEd Wood movie

Posted 13 August 2017 - 01:47 PM

Hello again,

Well, I found photographs of two lobby cards from this film (these lobby cards are not in my collection; i just found photographs online).  So, it appears we are correct that the two stars of that photograph are Martha Mears and Kenny Stevens.  

rr1.png

rr2.png

Looking at the first poster, that is definitely Martha Mears at the bottom right, but there is also a girl upper right dancing who is not Martha Mears. Now looking at the second poster, the girl is wearing the same outfit as the dancer, and does not look like Martha Mears. But she does look like Jean Porter. :)

I'm a big boy.

#6 DickLindsay

DickLindsay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 12:52 PM

Hello again,

Well, I found photographs of two lobby cards from this film (these lobby cards are not in my collection; i just found photographs online).  So, it appears we are correct that the two stars of that photograph are Martha Mears and Kenny Stevens.  

rr1.png

rr2.png

#7 slaytonf

slaytonf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,904 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 12:01 AM

blogger-image--193388919.jpg

#8 scsu1975

scsu1975

Tor B the Man

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,828 posts
  • LocationEd Wood movie

Posted 12 August 2017 - 10:22 PM

DickLindsay--imdb has one  photo of Kenny Stevens, with Jeanette MacDonald from "Broadway Serenade" (1939).  Link:

http://www.imdb.com/...er/rm2795572480

Good find. The guy in question does appear to be Kenny Stevens, but I still think the girl is Jean Porter. She was still relatively unknown at the time and so maybe was not mentioned among the cast. I can find items on the musical stars of the film, but no other cast members.

• film lover 293 likes this

I'm a big boy.

#9 film lover 293

film lover 293

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,908 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 09:31 PM

DickLindsay--imdb has one  photo of Kenny Stevens, with Jeanette MacDonald from "Broadway Serenade" (1939).  Link:

http://www.imdb.com/...er/rm2795572480

#10 DickLindsay

DickLindsay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 07:38 PM

yes, its from RAINBOW RHYTHM; the number on the lower right corner is the production number for that film.

#11 DickLindsay

DickLindsay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 07:29 PM

thanks for your help on this!  There was no credit information on either TCM or IMDB!

#12 scsu1975

scsu1975

Tor B the Man

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,828 posts
  • LocationEd Wood movie

Posted 12 August 2017 - 07:19 PM

Actually, I am not convinced that photo is from Rainbow Rhythm. The 15-minute film featured Al Donahue and his orchestra from New York's Rainbow Room, along with a few other musical acts.

I'm a big boy.

#13 scsu1975

scsu1975

Tor B the Man

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,828 posts
  • LocationEd Wood movie

Posted 12 August 2017 - 07:08 PM

Hello,

I have this photograph from a 1943 short called RAINBOW RHYTHM.  anyone recognize the actors here? There is no info on this short from either TCM or the IMDB

myu0010.JPG

The girl looks like Jean Porter.

I'm a big boy.

#14 film lover 293

film lover 293

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,908 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 07:04 PM

DickLindsay--Re "Rainbow Rhythm";  Martha Mears and Kenny Stevens?  Film is a Universal short directed by Reginald Le Borg.

#15 scsu1975

scsu1975

Tor B the Man

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,828 posts
  • LocationEd Wood movie

Posted 12 August 2017 - 07:04 PM

Also, two images from THIS IS THE ARMY (Warner Brothers 1943)

myu0019.JPG

The guy sucking on the straw is Bela Lugosi (just kidding). But the guy on the right is definitely Tom D'Andrea.

I'm a big boy.

#16 DickLindsay

DickLindsay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 04:31 PM

Hello,

I have this photograph from a 1943 short called RAINBOW RHYTHM.  anyone recognize the actors here? There is no info on this short from either TCM or the IMDB

myu0010.JPG

Also, two images from THIS IS THE ARMY (Warner Brothers 1943)

myu0019.JPG

myu0021.JPG

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users