We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

The funniest Drama you have ever seen.

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#21 speedracer5

speedracer5

Errol Flynn's girlfriend in a parallel universe,back in time

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,529 posts
  • LocationForest Grove, Oregon

Posted 16 January 2014 - 03:03 AM

I'll have to concur on "Mommie Dearest" that movie was hilarious. Is is bad that I was empathizing with Joan Crawford? Something about her daughter annoyed me and I didn't feel bad for her. I know that that is wrong.

"Wicker Man," Nicholas Cage yelling "Not the bees!"

"Titanic," Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate Winselt's scene in the ocean when poor Leo is freezing to death and Kate won't scoot over on that huge board she's on. The scene when the ship is straight up and down and that guy falls and hits the propeller with a "ping" sound. These things really shouldn't be funny. I know they shouldn't. But something about it elicits laughs out of me.

"It's not an old movie if you haven't seen it." -Lauren Bacall

"A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down your pants." -Ted Baxter on "The Mary Tyler Moore Show"

Proud member of:

dxmdyx.png

My classic movie and television blog:

Whimsically Classic

https://whimsicallyc....wordpress.com/

#22 GeorgiaWatson

GeorgiaWatson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 10:37 AM

I would like to mention couple of them that for are the funniest ones that I have every seen:

1. The Room
2. Sherlock Holmes

#23 michelponting

michelponting

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 07:10 AM

The Conqueror is the funniest drama i have ever seen..

Lumovies

Edited by: michelponting on Sep 16, 2013 8:10 AM

#24 flash70

flash70

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 11:06 AM

Cruel Intentions is my choice. its a contemporary version of Dangerous Liasions. When I saw it, i thought it was really funny but for the life of me-I dont know if it was intended to be funny or not. Thats why it gets my vote.

#25 mrroberts

mrroberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,614 posts
  • Locationpennsylvania

Posted 17 January 2010 - 09:27 PM

I know I heard Alfred Hitchcock refer to his movie "Psycho" as being a comedy. I guess some people didn't see it that way.

#26 stjohnrv

stjohnrv

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 11:30 AM

I suggest a 1950's horror/sci-fi called "THE THING" (not the later John Carpenter version with kurt Russell). The only stars whose names i can recall were Kennith Toby and although you never seen him other then in makeup James Arness(pre Gunsmoke) as the monster. I have seen this little gem many times and i am always struck on how comfortable the actors seem to be with the script and with each other the humor is very dry and often a little macabe, but it delievers.

#27 phroso

phroso

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,165 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 04:21 PM

How about Zero Hour? Not a bad movie in itself; unfortunately, much of the plot and dialogue were re-used in the 1980 comedy masterpiece Airplane!, and so it is virtually impossible not to play a home version of MST3K during certain scenes.

#28 Loocha

Loocha

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 11:58 PM

The Philadelphia Story. Such amazingly witty and hilarious dialogue.
  • traceyk65 likes this

#29 DownGoesFrazier

DownGoesFrazier

Advanced Spinner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57,510 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA

Posted 30 November 2009 - 02:38 PM

Isn't that the movie in which all the stars and the director were exposed to the radiation from nuclear testing, and they all eventually died from cancer? Nothing funny about that. (Dick Powell, Susan Hayward, John Wayne, Agnes Moorehead).

Edited by: finance on Nov 30, 2009 2:41 PM

#30 Tampopo

Tampopo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 11:20 AM

"The Conqueror" is the funniest non-comedy I've ever seen. Truly a laugh a minute, and it was meant as a serious epic film.

Check it out, it's hilarious!

#31 AngeLsLuv

AngeLsLuv

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 29 November 2009 - 11:12 PM

But.. "The Big Chill" is a comedy...

As far as dramas that are more funny than drama.. Least we forget "Mommy Dearest".. That is one of the stupidest movies I've ever watched... I mean seriously.. Over-The-Top acting at it's best...

#32 Audreygirl2007

Audreygirl2007

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 04:59 AM

This is a great question and I'll have to think about it, but I watched "Dark Passage" last week (classic Bogie/Bacall), and I was surprised at how funny it was in certain parts. I love that movie and I had heard that it wasn't very good.

Andrea

#33 Film_Fatale

Film_Fatale

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,982 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 08:19 PM

Probably either Christopher Columbus with Marlon Brando or Che! with Omar Shariff and Jack Palance.

#34 Robindra

Robindra

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 10:33 PM

I have on tape, a 1942 film called The Saint Meets The Tiger. It was one of two or three Saint movies made in the UK. It is so unintentionly funny!

#35 Moviebuffer12

Moviebuffer12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 03:50 PM

In terms of films that were so bad it was funny, I would say THE MUMMY(new version). I loved it when I watched it 3 years ago, but I saw it on TV the other day, I couldn't stop laughing cause it was so bad. But I created this forum about Dramas that had intentional jokes.

#36 scsu1975

scsu1975

Tor B the Man

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,721 posts
  • LocationEd Wood movie

Posted 09 December 2007 - 01:51 PM

Probably MONSIGNOR with Christopher Reeve .. it was unintentionally hysterical.

I'm a big boy.

#37 Moviebuffer12

Moviebuffer12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 01:46 PM

What is the funniest Drama or Non Comedy movie you have ever seen? I would say The Big Chill. What about you?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users