We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

photo ID?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Hothead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,722 posts
  • Locationaround the neighborhood

Posted 17 August 2017 - 05:10 PM

The fellow in the dark suit in photo no. 1 is Ralph Byrd, who was famous for portraying comic strip hero Dick Tracy in movies and TV shows.  However, I believe this still is from one of his early serials "S O S Coast Guard" from 1937.  I found this photo from the movie serial.  I believe the stripes and insignia on the sleeve match in the two photos.

The actress is Maxine Doyle.  Bela Lugosi played the villain. 

thought that was Ralph Byrd! I couldn't find any photos to match up with it, though. 

Good job, Miles.

#2 MilesArcher

MilesArcher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,874 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 05:05 PM

The fellow in the dark suit in photo no. 1 is Ralph Byrd, who was famous for portraying comic strip hero Dick Tracy in movies and TV shows.  However, I believe this still is from one of his early serials "S O S Coast Guard" from 1937.  I found this photo from the movie serial.  I believe the stripes and insignia on the sleeve match in the two photos.

612_SOS_B_Dimg169_Large_.jpg

The actress is Maxine Doyle.  Bela Lugosi played the villain. 

• LawrenceA likes this

#3 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Hothead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,722 posts
  • Locationaround the neighborhood

Posted 17 August 2017 - 02:49 PM

#1 is Keir Dullea's father on the left, Aaron Eckhart's father on the right.

#2 is a rare still of the little-known older brother of Gene Kelly, comic actor Ralph "Spatzo" Kelly, whose catchphrase "Forget this! I'm goin' out tha window!" never really caught on, so he retired from films and opened a pet grooming business.

(In actuality, I have no idea, and am interested in the correct answer myself)

#4 DickLindsay

DickLindsay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • LocationRancho Mirage, California

Posted 17 August 2017 - 01:17 PM

hello again,

I have two photographs that have ID numbers in the lower right corners.  However, I do not recognize the actors so it is difficult to decide the film title. any ideas? thanks!

#1:
dwp0028.JPG

#2:
dwp0001.JPG

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users