We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Title for an old horror film

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 scsu1975

scsu1975

Tor B the Man

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,939 posts
  • LocationEd Wood movie

Posted 30 August 2017 - 08:07 PM

There may be some posters here who have the "Now Playing Guides" that go back that far. Try checking this thread for somebody who can help:

http://forums.tcm.co...-playing/page-8

I'm a big boy.

#2 mattspease

mattspease

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 07:51 PM

Can anyone help?  This aired back in the Cable TV age on TCM, so I couldn't just click on a menu to check and find out what the films was titled like in the DirectTV age we live in now... and I didn't think the movie was going to be so good otherwise I'd have recorded it on my VCR.

#3 mattspease

mattspease

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 08:34 AM

Any help identifying this film will be great appreciated  ;)

#4 TikiSoo

TikiSoo

sprockethole

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,984 posts
  • LocationSyracuse, NY

Posted 20 August 2017 - 05:42 AM

Well I looked up Corman's filmography & read every synopsis for titles I didn't recognise. It's not an AIP.

I bet you are correct it's a Universal movie-they are tight with distribution and consistantly re-used their own sets.

#5 mattspease

mattspease

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 07:40 PM

I remember it mostly because of the Svengali like control the father or uncle had over the girl after her confrontation with him on the stairway.

#6 mattspease

mattspease

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 07:38 PM

I guess it was more a drama film, but it still had that old school Universal horror movie feel to it.  But no, the gypsy only nurses him back to health and then helps him get back to the old guys castle/tower for his revenge... the guy ends up with his girl in the end.

#7 Swithin

Swithin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,665 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 19 August 2017 - 06:39 PM

Maybe it's a gay-themed film, and the male gypsy nurse and the boyfriend go off into the sunset.

• scsu1975 likes this

#8 scsu1975

scsu1975

Tor B the Man

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,939 posts
  • LocationEd Wood movie

Posted 19 August 2017 - 05:38 PM

I'm supposedly one of the horror "experts" around here, and yet I can't think of it. I tried researching it, but couldn't find anything to match up with it. You can't recall any more details? Any cast members or character peculiarities? 

From the description, it doesn't sound like a horror movie, which may be throwing us off.

I'm a big boy.

#9 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Hothead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,724 posts
  • Locationaround the neighborhood

Posted 19 August 2017 - 05:01 PM

Can anyone else help, I really want to see this film again, it was introduced back when I watched it by the late great Robert Osborne?

I'm supposedly one of the horror "experts" around here, and yet I can't think of it. I tried researching it, but couldn't find anything to match up with it. You can't recall any more details? Any cast members or character peculiarities? 

#10 mattspease

mattspease

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 04:59 PM

Can anyone else help, I really want to see this film again, it was introduced back when I watched it by the late great Robert Osborne?

#11 TikiSoo

TikiSoo

sprockethole

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,984 posts
  • LocationSyracuse, NY

Posted 19 August 2017 - 06:42 AM

Sounds like a Roger Corman "classic"

#12 mattspease

mattspease

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 04:58 PM

So, about 10 to 15 years ago on TCM I saw an old 30's or 40's horror movie and have been trying to figure out the title ever since, so I could possibly find the movie.  It was about a man and woman who are in love, but the woman's father or uncle is jealous of them and orders his henchman to kill the man. The way I remember it, the father or uncle guy lives in a creepy tower like castle with a spiral stairway similar to the one's seen in Frankenstein and Dracula, and the man is attacked by the henchman and thrown from the castle (either roof or window, can't recall) and into the water surrounding the old place. The woman tries to confront her father or uncle about the disappearance of her boyfriend on the stairway, but he hypnotizes her to forget about him and stay there with him. The boyfriend doesn't die though and floats down a river (or something) and is found by a male gypsy who nurses him back to health.  After he gets well, he seeks revenge and returns to the castle to confront the evil father or uncle.

Can anyone help me identify this film?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users