We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

New Now Playing Newsletter Email

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 MovieCollectorOH

MovieCollectorOH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,993 posts
  • LocationLand of Bread and Circuses

Posted 21 September 2017 - 05:11 PM

Which begs the question, why doesn't TCM tell us what is going on?

I think someone at the top is just hooked on latest trends, sight unseen.  It need not go any further than that.

Moviecollector's Corner                   *Look for what should be there, but isn't.*              Principia-Scientific.org (independent science news)

#2 TheCid

TheCid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,727 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 21 September 2017 - 05:08 PM

I'll reword that.  They "did" send it out to someone.  A sample email "did" get temporarily posted on here (I saw it for myself).  That email had a link to a marketing company in it.  The marketing company is where the new online NPG is located, not TCM.  You could only see the NPG if you clicked on that marketing company link.  TCM may email the notifications out, but the marketing company's link is in there, thus setting off the spam filters.

It is treated no differently than the fake emails you get that look legitimate, but have links that go to strange international websites.

Which begs the question, why doesn't TCM tell us what is going on?

#3 MovieCollectorOH

MovieCollectorOH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,993 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 05:00 PM

Doubt this.  I check my spam folder before deleting and no emails for NPG, whereas I have received TCM notifications there before.  I added tcm.com to my email list and emails from TCM now go to my inbox.

I don't think they are sending them out, but maybe to a few, selected individuals.

I'll reword that.  They "did" send it out to someone.  A sample email "did" get temporarily posted on here (I saw it for myself).  That email had a link to a marketing company in it.  The marketing company is where the new online NPG is located, not TCM.  You could only see the NPG if you clicked on that marketing company link.  TCM may email the notifications out, but the marketing company's link is in there, thus setting off the spam filters.

It is treated no differently than the fake emails you get that look legitimate, but have links that go to strange international websites.

• mr6666 likes this

Moviecollector's Corner                   *Look for what should be there, but isn't.*              Principia-Scientific.org (independent science news)

#4 TheCid

TheCid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,727 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 21 September 2017 - 04:07 PM

The emails from TCM are probably ending up in everyone's junk or spam folder because they contain metadata from a marketing company that is known to usually send out junk.  This is just something I noticed from a couple posts where someone temporarily shared these emails.  (Actually an email just containing a personalized link to the resources, said link has a questionable reputation among email providers, based on previous reported activity.)

Doubt this.  I check my spam folder before deleting and no emails for NPG, whereas I have received TCM notifications there before.  I added tcm.com to my email list and emails from TCM now go to my inbox.

I don't think they are sending them out, but maybe to a few, selected individuals.

#5 MovieCollectorOH

MovieCollectorOH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,993 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 02:06 PM

The emails from TCM are probably ending up in everyone's junk or spam folder because they contain metadata from a marketing company that is known to usually send out junk.  This is just something I noticed from a couple posts where someone temporarily shared these emails.  (Actually an email just containing a personalized link to the resources, said link has a questionable reputation among email providers, based on previous reported activity.)

• mr6666 likes this

#6 jimmymac71

jimmymac71

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 01:58 PM

I too had problems receiving emails from TCM. Someone suggested to search in my spam or junk folder: for me that is where I found my emails by them. I hope that this tip was helpful.

Thanks. I do monitor my junk folder, which is where I find everything TCM sends me, mostly updates from this message board. Never received the September newsletter until mid-month. Looking to see what is playing on the TCM website is annoying. I am constantly annoyed by Ben and the Backlot message, along with setting up my profile. It would be nice if TCM produced the monthly listings in a format that would not gobble up printer resources.  With the old guide, I'd always look in the back to see all the movies playing for the month. Can't do that now. We deserve something better, and many of us would pay for it. I used a magnifier to read the old TCM guide, something I'd be very willing to do again.

• mr6666 likes this

#7 Alswan S

Alswan S

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 16 September 2017 - 07:46 PM

EDIT: Well, I just received the mid-month guide for September. What is supposed to be a Now Playing Guide isn't very convenient. It would take over 20 pages to print the guide for the month, which is nothing more than the monthly guide already on the TCM website.

So the newsletter has been out since September 2. You can go looking for it on the TCM Facebook page. You will probably need to search 'newsletter.' What is up with TCM? No human being has ever contacted me about this, who might work at TCM. I have signed up multiple times, just to be sure. Never do I get a confirmation and nothing about the newsletter has come to my email. I suppose the newsletter is only sent out once a month. If you don't receive it, too bad. Before cancelling the print version, someone should have made sure the email version would work. What a bunch of IDIOTS!

I too had problems receiving emails from TCM. Someone suggested to search in my spam or junk folder: for me that is where I found my emails by them. I hope that this tip was helpful.
  • DebraDancer likes this

#8 jimmymac71

jimmymac71

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 05:57 PM

EDIT: Well, I just received the mid-month guide for September. What is supposed to be a Now Playing Guide isn't very convenient. It would take over 20 pages to print the guide for the month, which is nothing more than the monthly guide already on the TCM website.

So the newsletter has been out since September 2. You can go looking for it on the TCM Facebook page. You will probably need to search 'newsletter.' What is up with TCM? No human being has ever contacted me about this, who might work at TCM. I have signed up multiple times, just to be sure. Never do I get a confirmation and nothing about the newsletter has come to my email. I suppose the newsletter is only sent out once a month. If you don't receive it, too bad. Before cancelling the print version, someone should have made sure the email version would work. What a bunch of IDIOTS!

Edited by jimmymac71, 15 September 2017 - 11:18 AM.

#9 MovieCollectorOH

MovieCollectorOH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,993 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 12:31 AM

Jimmy,

I feel your pain, my man! Same experience here. I don't get why they don't just offer the Now Playing downloadable through a link on the website, after all, it's already free! My guess is we live in the age where mailing lists are king. No idea or word if they will get this sorted out, but a BIG disappointment. I took Now Playing for years and they abruptly canceled the print version. Of course, I never did have much luck with Palm Coast, FL. They never sent it on time and it would often drop after I renewed sometimes. I eventually had two subscriptions because I figured if one didn't show up in the mail the other would. It worked for a couple of years. Same thing with the catalog. Signed up numerous times and two different emails...NOTHING. Finally called Palm Coast and gave them my info. NOTHING. Tried again a year later and finally got one catalog. The website is a mess. Have to register for everything and it takes forever. Multiple layers of ridiculous security stuff. It's a classic movie website for God sake, not Area 51!! Anyway, I hope they figure out the Now Playing, but I'm willing to bet they just gave up and aren't doing it after all the hulabaloo.

That about says it all...

• mr6666 and DebraDancer like this

#10 jimmymac71

jimmymac71

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 10:57 AM

I originally signed up for the Now Playing Guide as a gift for my mother. They insisted on charging me the new higher price, even though promos will still running on TCM, featuring the lower price. It took months before the first issue arrived. Renewal was the same thing. You either needed to renew months in advance or accept a delay in the magazine. There is no other channel like TCM, and they must know that. It is no longer Turner Classic Movies, but Time Warner Classic Movies. I don't believe it is about the viewer anymore, but all the income to be made. 'HolywoodDispatcher' is right, loosing the Now Playing Guide in print is huge. TCM could have charged more and we would have paid. If the new email version ever makes it, the whole thing will be inconvenient. We will have to spend money on printer ink, etc. Hey TCM, why don't you offer us the print magazine for $19.99 and see how many yes replies you get? I'm in, gladly. 

• mr6666 likes this

#11 HollywoodDispatcher

HollywoodDispatcher

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 08:06 PM

Jimmy,

I feel your pain, my man! Same experience here. I don't get why they don't just offer the Now Playing downloadable through a link on the website, after all, it's already free! My guess is we live in the age where mailing lists are king. No idea or word if they will get this sorted out, but a BIG disappointment. I took Now Playing for years and they abruptly canceled the print version. Of course, I never did have much luck with Palm Coast, FL. They never sent it on time and it would often drop after I renewed sometimes. I eventually had two subscriptions because I figured if one didn't show up in the mail the other would. It worked for a couple of years. Same thing with the catalog. Signed up numerous times and two different emails...NOTHING. Finally called Palm Coast and gave them my info. NOTHING. Tried again a year later and finally got one catalog. The website is a mess. Have to register for everything and it takes forever. Multiple layers of ridiculous security stuff. It's a classic movie website for God sake, not Area 51!! Anyway, I hope they figure out the Now Playing, but I'm willing to bet they just gave up and aren't doing it after all the hulabaloo.

• mr6666 likes this

#12 jimmymac71

jimmymac71

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 04:12 PM

I am not just frustrated with TCM, but furious. If I send a message to the website regarding the email guide, I get a totally moronic reply telling me how to subscribe to the now dead print version. The money I could save on my cable bill by downgrading and removing TCM is more than enough to get movies from a streaming source. The audio is all over the place with TCM. I live in a house, not a movie theater. No one is taking charge with audio leveling, with TCM being the worst of all. When my year contract with Xfinity is over, it just might be goodbye TCM. I feel as if 'the channel' is now more about making money with the store and Backlot, not to mention the wine club. I also believe some of the movies are not classics, with too many repeats, even showing the same movie twice in the same month. My TV is tuned to TCM more than any other channel. I have been a faithful fan for many years, as classic films are just about the only really good thing on the old 'boob tube.' Without Robert, things seemed to have gone to the dogs. Ben is okay, but Tiffany isn't. I can only deal with so much before it is so long TCM. The possible replacements are endless. 

#13 ClassicFilmMan

ClassicFilmMan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 02 September 2017 - 08:35 PM

Thanks loads. I'd like to read that other thread too. I will try to find it.

#14 TheCid

TheCid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,727 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 02 September 2017 - 03:57 PM

I was hoping that someone could help me.

I was a longtime subscriber to the TCM Now Playing magazine, and I subscribed to the new email version last May. But I never received it. And from what I understand, this new email version started last month in August, maybe even July?

I subscribed to it again a couple of days ago, but I still have received nothing. This is very frustrating.

Can somebody tell me what month the new Now Playing email started?

Also, is there any way to get back issues?

Would someone forward me a copy of theirs?

There are two threads about this under General Discussions.  Below is one of them.

http://forums.tcm.co...ne-emailed-yet/

#15 ClassicFilmMan

ClassicFilmMan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 02 September 2017 - 03:54 PM

I was hoping that someone could help me.

I was a longtime subscriber to the TCM Now Playing magazine, and I subscribed to the new email version last May. But I never received it. And from what I understand, this new email version started last month in August, maybe even July?

I subscribed to it again a couple of days ago, but I still have received nothing. This is very frustrating.

Can somebody tell me what month the new Now Playing email started?

Also, is there any way to get back issues?

Would someone forward me a copy of theirs?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users