We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Why was the original Tron(1982) so misunderstood ?

Tron 1982 Best Movies

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 EricJ

EricJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 05:00 AM

Very few people HAD a computer in 1982, except for tech-geeks and office cubicle-drones (or professional programmers)--

So most of the "computer vibe" the movie had to sell its marketing to were the arcade-game kids, promising "Live-action Pac-Man!", and it...wasn't quite that.

Nowadays, the humor plays a bit better, now that we're a little more computer-literate enough to get the tech-geek jokes.

And, of course, at least it had a sense of humor, compared to its grimly and preemptively reverential '10 update, determined to enshrine the original in "rave" culture.

Let's start a revolution: http://movieactivist.blogspot.com

#2 DoctorEmmet

DoctorEmmet

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 September 2017 - 08:37 PM

This article on Tron:  http://fun.sytes.net...ovie-blog-1982/ is about the many computer symbols  that were not understood at the time, but better unsersood by Milennials now. I think as the audience became more computer savy overtime , it elevated the film from a rarity to a cult film.

#3 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Lone Wolf

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,634 posts
  • LocationThe Octagon

Posted 07 September 2017 - 03:33 PM

Poltergeist, Bladerunner, ET, Raiders Of the lost Ark an other Lucas/Spielberg classics were released in those early 80's.

1982 was a great year for sci-fi !

Yes, Blade RunnerTronE.T.Poltergeist, Carpenter's The ThingStar Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, the wide releases of both The Road Warrior and Conan the BarbarianQuest for Fire, Schrader's Cat PeopleSwamp ThingThe BeastmasterFriday the 13th Part 3 (Jason gets his hockey mask), and Creepshow, all in 1982. Add in other genre-friendly and cult titles like FirefoxRocky 3First BloodHalloween 3The Beast WithinSilent RageForbidden WorldFast Times at Ridgemont HighPink Floyd-The WallQ the Winged SerpentPiranha II: The SpawningThe Last Unicorn48 Hrs., and The Dark Crystal, and you can see why it's the geek culture version of 1939's Golden Year.

• mr6666 and film lover 293 like this

#4 DoctorEmmet

DoctorEmmet

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 03:03 PM

Poltergeist, Bladerunner, ET, Raiders Of the lost Ark an other Lucas/Spielberg classics were released in those early 80's.

1982 was a great year for sci-fi !

#5 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Lone Wolf

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,634 posts
  • LocationThe Octagon

Posted 06 September 2017 - 06:11 PM

You're likely to find more Boomers around here than Gen X or millennials, although there are a few of each wandering about from time to time.

I saw Tron in the theater back in '82 (great year for genre films, too). I enjoyed parts of it, while others left me cold. The visual aesthetic is nice and distinctive, and remains the film's highlight. I wouldn't call little people driving motorcycles and tanks around inside a really accurate description of how computer technology works, but the film doesn't shy away from its tech-head milieau. One problem the film has is a lack of really compelling characters, so the viewer isn't quite as invested in the happenings. That being said, I still listed it among my personal list of the 100 most important science fiction films of all time, as it was a harbinger of things to come, tech-wise, and it remains a cult touchstone with a sizable fanbase.

• mr6666 likes this

#6 DoctorEmmet

DoctorEmmet

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 05:56 PM

One of the  movies that i remember from childhood is the original Tron. The newer version is terrible. As i saw it again 30 years latter it  holds remarkably well. It posesses a kind of retro-futuristic look. And it is accurate in its depiction of computer technology (the plot, not the effects).

Did you like this film and did you undesrtand it the first time you saw it ? I would like to get opinions of generation Xers vs Millenials...thanks !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users