We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

"Kansas Raiders"

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Terrence1

Terrence1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,901 posts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 10:31 AM

Thanks for your input, Princess.  I feel that I've been given a history lesson!  I recall several movies dealing with Quantrill  and the massacre.

• TopBilled likes this

#2 Princess of Tap

Princess of Tap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,193 posts

Posted 09 September 2017 - 04:36 PM

FYI-- Quantrill's Raid is alive and well- known in Lawrence, Kansas to this day. It became a part of their popular culture and is still a part of what they stand against. In Northeast Kansas we also call it the Lawrence Massacre.

A few years back they built a new high school and no one could agree on the name. So they had to go back to their past and say the only thing we could all agree on was "Free State ". You can Google it. It's probably one of the most unusual high school names in America.

The neighboring state, Missouri, was a slave state and they have an unbelievable popular cult over there for Jesse James. He's one of their biggest tourist attractions. Believe it or not.
  • TopBilled, cinemaspeak59 and rayban like this

#3 Terrence1

Terrence1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,901 posts

Posted 09 September 2017 - 11:57 AM

TopBilled, you made a good point about Richard Long being the most experienced of the four actors I mentioned.  And of the four, he had the most important role, playing Frank James.   He didn't seem to age at all in his career.  He looks about the same in "Kansas Raiders" as he did over fifteen years later when he starred as Jarrod Barkley on the Big Valley.  I really miss him.

• TopBilled and rayban like this

#4 TopBilled

TopBilled

Film Writing and Selected Journalism

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,856 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 07:20 PM

Yes, it's a great film to see because they are all near the start of their screen careers. Long was perhaps the most "experienced" at this stage; he had already made some pictures at Universal in the late 40s, including THE EGG AND I and TAP ROOTS. 

At the present time KANSAS RAIDERS can be streamed on Amazon Prime.

screen-shot-2017-09-04-at-8-20-00-pm.png

• cinemaspeak59 and rayban like this

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#5 Terrence1

Terrence1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,901 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 11:49 AM

I just finished watching this movie, which I expected to be just another Audie Murphy Western from Universal.  It was quite interesting, but the main attraction for me was to see so many actors at the very beginning of their careers.  Actors such as Richard Long, Tony Curtis, James Best, and Richard Egan.  It was fun to see them just as they were getting started with their careers.

• TopBilled, cinemaspeak59 and rayban like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users