We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Day ____ and NO Now Playing Guide email

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 TheCid

TheCid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,830 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 21 October 2017 - 09:49 AM

BingFan

To add to other suggestions.  Go to schedule on top line of this site, click on Month Schedule.  This is the same one as in the email NPG.  Scan through it and note which ones you wish to view for the month or just keep a week or so ahead.

I don't use a calendar, but I do keep a small notepad next to my TV viewing chair and use that for reminders of shows to watch/record.  Actually keep other networks on the same pad.

The one advantage for me to the Month Schedule is that it provides descriptive information as was provided in the printed NPG without having to open and close multiple sections.

Not a good solution, but what we have.

#2 cmovieviewer

cmovieviewer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 08:42 PM

BingFan,

For planning purposes, you might also want to take a look at the replica Now Playing Guide introductory section that I have been publishing at least 3 weeks prior to the start of the month.  Refer to the "Early Now Playing Guide" message thread at:

http://forums.tcm.co...-playing-guide/

The introductory section is 5 pages long so you can print this out if you want something to look at.  I know it's not as good as the complete listings but it does provide a place to start.

#3 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

There is nothing as bad as something not so bad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,560 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 20 October 2017 - 07:31 PM

I've had two problems with the new Now Playing Newsletter:

1. I received the September edition but did not​ receive the October edition.  Clearly, TCM had my email address, and there was no problem receiving NP on my end.  It seems like there must have been some problem on TCM's end when it didn't send me the October NP.  Please correct this problem.

2. Please send NP before the first of the month so that we can review it and plan our viewing before the month starts.  Yes, I've seen the advice to go online to see the schedule before the 1st.  That doesn't work because I want to highlight a hard copy of the schedule to remind me about upcoming movies.  (Please don't tell me about the email reminders.  I've tried them, and they don't work very well.  I've sometimes received reminders months after the movie was shown.)

Why does TCM want to make it difficult for its loyal viewers to watch TCM?

​I really loved the old Now Playing and subscribed for years.  (I would have paid more for it.)  I'm now trying to work with the new electronic version, but it's really not working very well.

What TCM is doing related to printable version is happening all over the country by many different companies.  E.g. my company which handles collection of insurance claims.   Any paper transfer of forms etc.. was stopped 3 years ago.    This was done as part of our 'green' initiative.

I'm offering this advise because you're a really nice person and I doubt TCM is going to be able to satisfy your needs:

Get a calendar;   (the larger the better,   I get free ones from the environmental groups I donate to).

Go on-line at the start of the month.

For the entire month,  by day,  list the movies you want to see and the times they start.

place the calendar on your fridge.

Check the calendar each morning  (more often during the day if you need more reminders).

Repeat each month.

#4 TheCid

TheCid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,830 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 20 October 2017 - 09:20 AM

1. I received the September edition but did not​ receive the October edition.  Clearly, TCM had my email address, and there was no problem receiving NP on my end.  It seems like there must have been some problem on TCM's end when it didn't send me the October NP.  Please correct this problem.

2. Please send NP before the first of the month so that we can review it and plan our viewing before the month starts.  Yes, I've seen the advice to go online to see the schedule before the 1st.  That doesn't work because I want to highlight a hard copy of the schedule to remind me about upcoming movies.  (Please don't tell me about the email reminders.  I've tried them, and they don't work very well.  I've sometimes received reminders months after the movie was shown.)

​I really loved the old Now Playing and subscribed for years.  (I would have paid more for it.)  I'm now trying to work with the new electronic version, but it's really not working very well.

All of your complaints and comments have been made before, but without any response from TCM.

I signed up again for the NPG and also clicked on the October schedule on that site.  It is actually the monthly site from tcm.com.  My problem is that it is 21 pages long and that would mean about 252 pieces of paper over a year.

TCM needs to make the printable version utilizing less paper.

• mr6666 likes this

#5 BingFan

BingFan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 09:01 AM

#6 TheCid

TheCid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,830 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 17 October 2017 - 12:01 PM

Hello everyone

I know this has been  mentioned in another thread somewhere, but has everyone seen this announcement?

http://forums.tcm.co...ing-newsletter/

If not, have a look, and maybe it will clear up some of your questions. 

Thank you! 

Please see my comments at http://forums.tcm.co...ing-newsletter/

#7 TCMModerator1

TCMModerator1

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 397 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 08:09 PM

Hello everyone

I know this has been  mentioned in another thread somewhere, but has everyone seen this announcement?

http://forums.tcm.co...ing-newsletter/

If not, have a look, and maybe it will clear up some of your questions. 

Thank you! 

• mr6666 likes this

#8 MovieCollectorOH

MovieCollectorOH

Wearing my hip waders.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,063 posts
  • LocationLand of Bread and Circuses

Posted 16 October 2017 - 05:52 PM

Worked fine for me. I don't use twitter, either.

http://mailchi.mp/1b...n-tcm-is-301203

That link works.

P.S. the former link was just a non-secure redirect link that throws up an error on the browsers.  In other words they could present a vulnerability.  If I defeat the security measures on my browser then I am able to get to it.  About par for the course around here I suppose.

Moviecollector's Corner                   *Look for what should be there, but isn't.*              Principia-Scientific.org (independent science news)

usdebtclock.org (just some pretty numbers to watch)

#9 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Watchman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,185 posts
  • LocationThe Wild Frontier

Posted 16 October 2017 - 05:15 PM

Broken link?  I tried it on three different browsers.  No Twitter account to log into for me though.

Worked fine for me. I don't use twitter, either.

http://mailchi.mp/1b...n-tcm-is-301203

#10 MovieCollectorOH

MovieCollectorOH

Wearing my hip waders.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,063 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 04:51 PM

TCM tweet Today......

TCMVerified account @tcm 4h4 hours ago

The mid-month October Now Playing Newsletter is here courtesy of Frankenstein: http://myt.cm/NowPlayingOct17MM 

(Better late than never.......guess TheCid wasn't ONLY one complaining!)

;)

Broken link?  I tried it on three different browsers.  No Twitter account to log into for me though.

Moviecollector's Corner                   *Look for what should be there, but isn't.*              Principia-Scientific.org (independent science news)

#11 mr6666

mr6666

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,799 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 02:29 PM

TCM tweet Today......

TCMVerified account @tcm 4h4 hours ago

The mid-month October Now Playing Newsletter is here courtesy of Frankenstein: http://myt.cm/NowPlayingOct17MM 

(Better late than never.......guess TheCid wasn't ONLY one complaining!)

;)

"A small elephant is not a rabbit."

#12 TheCid

TheCid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,830 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 16 October 2017 - 09:49 AM

in response to TheCid's problem please check your "allowed contact"s list of allowed email senders. it should be:

nowplaying@siteservices.tcm.com

i'd capitalize this but capitalizing would be a violation of rules regarding addresses.

anyway, please double check your list of allowed senders. when i did this, i found i didn't have the correct sender on my allowed list. when i entered the complete sender name in early Sept, i received the mid-month update on Sept 15, the Oct 1 Now Playing release, and this AM the Oct mid-month update.

just TCM.com will not do!

Thanks, but I have had this in my contacts (allowed senders) for weeks now.  I just sent an email to this address asking why no NPG.

#13 allthumbs

allthumbs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 02:56 PM

in response to TheCid's problem please check your "allowed contact"s list of allowed email senders. it should be:

nowplaying@siteservices.tcm.com

i'd capitalize this but capitalizing would be a violation of rules regarding addresses.

anyway, please double check your list of allowed senders. when i did this, i found i didn't have the correct sender on my allowed list. when i entered the complete sender name in early Sept, i received the mid-month update on Sept 15, the Oct 1 Now Playing release, and this AM the Oct mid-month update.

just TCM.com will not do!

#14 TheCid

TheCid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,830 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 15 October 2017 - 09:31 AM

Day 45 and still no email NPG.  Nice to be notified of board being down on 10/17, but still not explanation of what is going on with the email NPG.

There is still the problem that the current Month Schedule is headed as the Now Playing schedule and it is far too long to print every month.

#15 MovieCollectorOH

MovieCollectorOH

Wearing my hip waders.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,063 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 07:06 PM

Advanced Member

• default_large.png
  • Administrators
  • admin.png
  • 396 posts

Posted Yesterday, 12:16 PM

Next week, we have scheduled some maintenance to our Message Boards.  This is an upgrade to our platform and will require some downtime on Tuesday, 10/17/2017. 

Please be informed that you will not be able to access the boards during this period but we expect that this downtime will only last a few hours. 

We thank you in advance for your patience during this period of time.

I have posted on this before, they are presently using Apache Tomcat 6.0.35, which was EOL earlier this year after version 6.0.53. (scroll down to see Releases table - 6.0.35 isn't specifically shown as it was a minor point release)

https://en.wikipedia...i/Apache_Tomcat

#16 mr6666

mr6666

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,799 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 05:39 PM

A bit O/T but I did see someone is doing something, related to the website.  There is a locked sticky thread in the off topic forum, stating that it will be temporarily unavailable on Tuesday the 17th for maintenance.

Advanced Member

• default_large.png
  • Administrators
  • admin.png
  • 396 posts

Posted Yesterday, 12:16 PM

Next week, we have scheduled some maintenance to our Message Boards.  This is an upgrade to our platform and will require some downtime on Tuesday, 10/17/2017. 

Please be informed that you will not be able to access the boards during this period but we expect that this downtime will only last a few hours. 

We thank you in advance for your patience during this period of time.

"A small elephant is not a rabbit."

#17 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,560 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 14 October 2017 - 04:49 PM

Sounds like they are just going through a punch list of things to get done.  Maybe fix a few things, maybe add a few features.  It can't hurt.

As a software developer (I couldn't make a living being a musician,  ha ha), I understand.    

#18 MovieCollectorOH

MovieCollectorOH

Wearing my hip waders.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,063 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 04:45 PM

I wonder how long 'temporary' is.    E.g. the Jazz Guitar Forum posted last week they were going down for 'temporarily' for maintenance.

Each day I would try to log on and get that the website was 'down'.   This went on for 5 days.   In fact I just checked it and it is finally back up!      So in this case 'temporarily' was 5 day.  

PS:  While I could log on all I got was this message:

Hi guys, sorry for the long wait. All compatibility issues are fixed, we are just doing some fine-tuning now.

We will be back soon...

Oh well.    This is a great forum for jazz guitarist (free lessons from pros,  pros that chat with use wantabees,  cool tips etc...),   all for free,  so waiting is worth it!   

Sounds like they are just going through a punch list of things to get done.  Maybe fix a few things, maybe add a few features.  It can't hurt.

#19 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,560 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 14 October 2017 - 04:33 PM

A bit O/T but I did see someone is doing something, related to the website.  There is a locked sticky thread in the off topic forum, stating that it will be temporarily unavailable on Tuesday the 17th for maintenance.

I wonder how long 'temporary' is.    E.g. the Jazz Guitar Forum posted last week they were going down for 'temporarily' for maintenance.

Each day I would try to log on and get that the website was 'down'.   This went on for 5 days.   In fact I just checked it and it is finally back up!      So in this case 'temporarily' was 5 day.  

PS:  While I could log on all I got was this message:

Hi guys, sorry for the long wait. All compatibility issues are fixed, we are just doing some fine-tuning now.

We will be back soon...

Oh well.    This is a great forum for jazz guitarist (free lessons from pros,  pros that chat with use wantabees,  cool tips etc...),   all for free,  so waiting is worth it!   

#20 MovieCollectorOH

MovieCollectorOH

Wearing my hip waders.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,063 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 04:21 PM

• mr6666 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users