We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Pre-Code Gallery

• Please log in to reply
1027 replies to this topic

#21 mdffyx

mdffyx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 371 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 21 April 2009 - 12:53 PM

Joan Blondell

Lilyan Tashman

Bebe Daniels

Ann Sheridan

Kay Francis

#22 mdffyx

mdffyx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 371 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 20 April 2009 - 04:16 PM

Appreciate the compliments. Thank you all. I, and others are posting more pics and
large variety at link. Easier to post by skipping Photobucket step.

http://goldenageofhollywood.ning.com/

#23 JackFavell

JackFavell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,349 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 03:24 PM

I love a good accent....

I hope *Once a Lady* airs on TCM someday. I see it isn't available on dvd.

#24 goldensilents

goldensilents

Advanced Member

• TCM_allow
  • PipPipPip
  • 803 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 03:14 PM

Thanks. Frisco Jenny was enjoyable too but I still didn't warm to her. She was always a bit hard in a lot of her films but in Once A Lady she was completely sympathetic. She also got the Russian accent down pat. Her vocal coach must have been top rate.

#25 JackFavell

JackFavell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,349 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 07:41 AM

Jill, what a great review! I am really curious about this one since it was directed by Guthrie McClintic, the hugely famous and talented stage director.

I too didn't really warm up to Chatterton until I watched *Frisco Jenny* about a month ago on TCM. She was just great, playing a woman who falls into ill repute and later must sacrifice herself for her child. I really enjoyed it because her performance was gritty and strong, as opposed to the sort of false, teary-eyed toughness many actresses put on for such a role. This may have more to do with William Wellman's direction than with Chatterton's choices, but the combination was incredibly good.

#26 gagman66

gagman66

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,495 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 09:25 PM

Mike,

The colorized Fay Wray looks great! You did terrific work on that portrait!

#27 goldensilents

goldensilents

Advanced Member

• TCM_allow
  • PipPipPip
  • 803 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 08:07 PM

Oh, that's Geoffrey Kerr in the photo with her, not Ivor. Kerr played her husband -- who treats her rather poorly. Ivor plays the lover, who truly loves her, but she doesn't love him. Here is my review.

*Once A Lady* (1931) stars Ruth Chatterton, Ivor Novello, Jill Esmond, Geoffrey Kerr, Bramwell Fletcher, Lillian Rich and Theodore von Eltz. I think this is the first performance by Ruth where I really and truly warmed to her for the very first time. Before this film I recognized she was a good actress but she was never someone I sought out as a favorite.

Here she plays a Russian woman in exile in Paris who marries an aristocratic Englishman when she gets pregnant with his baby out of wedlock. He brings her home to England to his stuffy relatives and their relationship quickly deteriorates, with the husband siding with the relatives on important matters instead of his wife. He goes into politics and feels she will be a detriment to his career, so he sends her back to Paris, telling her he will spend a few days with her to restore the marriage when he has no intention of doing so. At the last minute he backs away from his promise and she goes on the train alone, grief stricken.

There she meets an old lover, played well by Ivor Novello, and stays with him for a few days in Paris, not knowing that after they left the train prematurely that it crashed down a mountain and everyone was killed. She is assumed dead by the press and the world and her family.

But Ruth suddenly decides to leave Ivor and comes back to England and reappears in front of the shocked family. They STILL try to get rid of her so that the husband can have his precious political career! She agrees to a divorce but the family never reveals to the press that she is still alive. The husband marries again and Ruth goes back to Paris, leaving the child with her husband because she feels her daughter will have a better and more stable life with him.

Years pass and the daughter falls in love with a struggling architect. The father disapproves of the relationship and so she runs off with her sweetheart in defiance. They go to Paris and of course run into Ruth. Ruth knows almost immediately that this is her grown up daughter and tries to steer her onto the straight and narrow path.

I won't reveal the ending but it's nothing too original. However Ruth's performance in this film is exceptional and lifts the script up from ho hum to interesting. I really enjoyed it.

#28 PrinceSaliano

PrinceSaliano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,596 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 07:16 PM

> {quote:title=JackFavell wrote:}{quote}
> I just want to say that though I don't have a collection to post, I _truly_ have enjoyed everyone's photos and posters.
>
> I feel very sad that everyone seems to have given up on the boards.
Love the pics...the toxic personality, not so much.

#29 mdffyx

mdffyx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 371 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 19 April 2009 - 04:36 PM

And all this time I thought the guy was Paul Lucas.

#30 goldensilents

goldensilents

Advanced Member

• TCM_allow
  • PipPipPip
  • 803 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 03:52 PM

Oooh! thanks mdffyz! I just watched *Once A Lady* (1931) this past week, with Ruth Chatterton and Ivor Novello. I LOVED it! I love your photo too; do you have a still photo by any chance of Ruth and Ivor together?

Thanks for posting. :)

Posted Image

#31 goldensilents

goldensilents

Advanced Member

• TCM_allow
  • PipPipPip
  • 803 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 03:45 PM

It's the recession. People are really hurting. A lot of people are cutting corners and one of the first things to go is entertainment dollars, including buying movies, paying for internet access, etc.

#32 JackFavell

JackFavell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,349 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 03:40 PM

I just want to say that though I don't have a collection to post, I _truly_ have enjoyed everyone's photos and posters.

I feel very sad that everyone seems to have given up on the boards.

#33 mdffyx

mdffyx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 371 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 19 April 2009 - 10:43 AM

Maureen O'Sullivan 1933

Maureen O'Sullivan 1933, Stage Mother
Maureen O'Sullivan 1933

Maureen O'Sullivan 1933, Stage Mother
Blondell and Tashman Millie 1931

Blondell and Tashman 1931, Millie
fay wray

Fay Wray

Doris Kenyon Road to Singapore

Doris Kenyon, Road to Singapore, 1931
10cents a Dance

Ten Cents a Dance, B Stanwyck
Lilyan Tashman

Lilyan Tashman
Grace Bradley

Grace Bradley, 1935 , Gilded Lily
Aline MacMahon

Aline MacMahon
This is probably my last pic post. Interest in adding pics has apparently fallen off here.

#34 Snorky

Snorky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 09:22 AM

Mdffyx,

Thanks to you and everyone who's shared their pictures here!

I know how much time and effort's involved and I'm sorry things have gone this way.

I hope folks realize that your participation here is the only reason I'm re-renaming my Photobucket folders and restoring all my pictures here (and site-wide).

As a way of expressing my appreciation for all your contibutions I'm sending you a copy of all my 16,000+ movie pics.

Best, Jeff

#35 Snorky

Snorky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 09:11 AM

No interest in cleaning up the thread, I see.

That's fine because this was my _second_ and last attempt at a Pre-Code Gallery thread here.

#36 mdffyx

mdffyx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 371 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 02 April 2009 - 04:33 PM

Yep, he was a whiner in that one, as usual.

#37 metsfan

metsfan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 04:11 PM

Glad you both enjoyed the photos! I agree Wendy, he looks great in uniform. Victor McLaglen always puts a smile on my face so I couldn't help posting the pictures.

Mdffyx, I'll keep in mind what you said about Jackie Cooper because I haven't seen much of his work. Hope Fox Movie Channel airs "The Bowery" again.

#38 scottman1932

scottman1932

Advanced Member

• TCM_allow
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,417 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 04:59 PM

Nice stills. Lili Damita looks pretty hot in the top picture.
Thanks for posting these!

#39 JackFavell

JackFavell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,349 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 06:33 PM

Oh, metsie! Captain Flagg does it for me! I do love a man in uniform..... especially if he looks like that!

#40 metsfan

metsfan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 06:29 PM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users