We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

MELODY (aka S.W.A.L.K)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Det Jim McLeod

Det Jim McLeod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 08 April 2017 - 09:07 AM

I love this movie! I had it on one of those giant video discs back in the 1980s. It is one of the best movies done from a child's point of view. Mark Lester is great as a sensitive young lad and Jack Wild is also wonderful as his more mischievous pal. I like this even better than their previous film "Oliver"

Tracy Hyde is adorable as the object of Lester's affection.

There are great shots of the streets and pubs of early 70s Britain. And it is topped off with an excellent score of songs by the Bee Gees. "Melody Fair" and "First Of May" are two of their most beautiful songs.

I would love to have this on DVD. 

#2 EuniceAquino

EuniceAquino

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 01:04 AM

Thank you for responding. I must have suggested this film at least three times already. I'm surprised to hear that it was ever broadcasted locally even twenty years ago. Like you, I also watched the film over twenty years ago on beta of all things. Wathced it over and over again until the player decided to eat it. It was recently released on dvd in Japan. It isn't available anywhere else but TCM has an option for us to vote for the films we want to become available on dvd. If you look up Melody in the seach field, the "vote for dvd" option is on the right side of the page.

Happy viewing!
  • Det Jim McLeod likes this

#3 patful

patful

Advanced Age

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,660 posts
  • LocationTejas

Posted 04 January 2008 - 12:25 AM

Yes, three times, starting at age twelve, and not in the last twenty years. All three times were local broadcasts. My favorite coming-of-age flick. I think I loved it more each time I saw it. Roy Kinnear was brilliant! Many people have requested it on Suggest A Movie, so far with no success. Maybe they could air it during a Kinnear or Alan Parker birthday tribute? Not likely, though.
  • Det Jim McLeod likes this

#4 EuniceAquino

EuniceAquino

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 05:44 PM

I wonder if anyone else has seen this sweet film. It stars Mark Lester and Jack Wild. Anyone?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users