We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Favorite Silent Actresses

• Please log in to reply
255 replies to this topic

#241 Guest_Alix_*

Guest_Alix_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 September 2001 - 04:44 PM

She was definitely great in SUNSET BLVD. I'd love to see the movies she made with Joseph Kennedy as her producer, like WHAT A WIDOW and THE TRESSPASSER. I don't know if they even exist or are ever shown.

#242 Guest_drednm_*

Guest_drednm_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 September 2001 - 09:37 AM

Actually Swanson played Glory Swanson on the "Hillbillies." Apparently she was the only movie star the Clampetts had ever heard of because her films were just getting to whatever town they came from in the Ozarks. The poor Clampettes had never seen "talkies." My vote for best performance by an actress---ever---goes to Swanson for Sunset Boulevard. Fabulous from opening scene on.... And to think she lost the Oscar to Judy Holliday for that piffle, Born Yesterday!!!!

#243 Guest_MM_*

Guest_MM_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 July 2001 - 06:39 AM

Gloria Swanson played herself on The Beverly Hillbillies. Swanson was the Clampetts favorite movie star. The story line was that Gloria was selling off her estate, and the Clampetts thought she was bankrupt. They made a new silent movie at the studio that Jed Clampett owned. The movie starred Gloria and the members of the Clampett Family.The Clampetts thought they were saving Gloria's estate.

#244 Guest_Alix_*

Guest_Alix_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 July 2001 - 04:16 PM

Who did she play? Oh my gosh--La Belle Swanson on the Beverly Hillybillies? I'm in shock!

#245 Guest_MM_*

Guest_MM_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 July 2001 - 09:44 AM

Gloria Swanson had a reoccuring role on the Beverly Hillbillies!

#246 Guest_Alix_*

Guest_Alix_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 July 2001 - 05:54 PM

Clara Bow is one of my favorite actresses. And when you said, "More movies, plase TCM, of the great Clara," let's have movies like CALL HER SAVAGE (notorious pre-Code), HOOPLA (her last film), KICK-IN (the movie where she reportedly had a nervous breakdown), MANTRAP (silent film), and others we haven't seen broadcast before. Clara's fans all over the country would be in "red-headed heaven!"

#247 Guest_jeryson_*

Guest_jeryson_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 July 2001 - 06:19 AM

I dearly love to get out my Clara Bow tapes and watch this phenomenon over and over. In "Our Dancing Mothers", she steals the show from would-be star Alice Joyce, as Alice's fun-loving, wild-living but lovable daughter. In "The Wild Party", Bow is amazingly good. Her voice is perfect. But we know now what a horror she had of the microphone. Bow could do anything--much like Bette Davis. And to think Hollywood always looked down at her, even when she was the most popular star in the world! More movies, please TCM, of the great Clara. Not to be overlooked is the marvelous work Garbo did in her silents. Especially "Wild Orchids" and "The Kiss." Wish we could have a whole festival of these two greats at a good time slot--like 6 p.m. or 7 or 8 p.m. I can't stay up at 2 to catch them.

#248 Guest_Alix_*

Guest_Alix_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 July 2001 - 06:57 AM

It looks like part of your message got cut off. I definately remember "Beverly Hillybillies" growing up. Who from SUNSET BLVD. had a reoccuring role?

#249 Guest_MM_*

Guest_MM_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 July 2001 - 06:28 AM

Sunset Blvd. is one of my favorite films. Are you old enough to remember when the played a reoccuring role on the Beverly Hillbillies?

#250 Guest_wanderingchild_*

Guest_wanderingchild_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 July 2001 - 12:48 PM

Gloria Swanson would have to be my favorite too, and as for her auto biography I agree that its a wonderful book! I haven't quite finished reading it yet, but what I have read I have really enjoyed!

#251 Guest_Alix_*

Guest_Alix_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 July 2001 - 11:01 AM

"Swanson on Swanson" is an excellent book, and I agree should be required reading for any fan of the silent era. If I might ask, what did you think of "Sunset Blvd?" I thought she was fabulous in it. I have seen only a couple of her silentsm, one her transitional period talkies,and of course, "Sunset," but she was one of the greats!

#252 Guest_MM_*

Guest_MM_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 July 2001 - 06:44 AM

Gloria Swanson was the Greatest of them All. She did everything first, and with style. She created the genre of the "glamourous Movie Star". If you are a fan of the silent era then "Swanson on Swanson" is required reading. Although at times it's a little shocking, she gives a much more realistic viewpoint of the early days of movie making. Today it's hard to imagine, but in the 'teens and early 1920's, she was the most famous woman on the planet!

#253 Guest_Lcacicia_*

Guest_Lcacicia_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 July 2001 - 08:56 PM

Hads down my favorite is Marion Davies. She brings a warmth and humor to her roles. Some of her best silents are the ones that Frances Marion wrote for her. You can't go wrong with either of them.

#254 Guest_Cindy_*

Guest_Cindy_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2001 - 12:50 PM

Lillian Gish! She is truly one silent actress, who could do it all! From the serious to comedic! I have to thank my brother for introducing me to Lillian. I was never really into silent movies until I started watching Lillian!

#255 Guest_Alix_*

Guest_Alix_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2001 - 06:20 AM

Okay, just to get the ball rolling here's one of my favorites: Clara Bow --they just don't get any better than Clara! She personifies what I think of when I think of a 1920's "modern" girl. She was beautiful, perky, and full of that 1920's energy! She had a great figure and wore the clothes of the period well. What I like most is the way Clara communicates with her eyes! She had beautiful eyes,and knew how to "work" them.

#256 Guest_Alix_*

Guest_Alix_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2001 - 06:17 AM

Who are your favorite silent film actresses? Clara Bow? Lillian Gish? For the sake of discussion, why don't you tell a little bit about why you like the star(s) you name.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users