We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Favorite Silent Actresses

• Please log in to reply
255 replies to this topic

#21 flickerknickers

flickerknickers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 09 June 2003 - 02:30 PM

"Young Romance", starring Edith Taliaferro, is the added feature on a terrific DVD restoration of Raoul Walsh's masterpiece, the l914 "Regeneration." Edith and company are delightful. "Regeneration" starring the incredible Rockliffe Fellowes and the stunning Anna Q. Nilsson, is a must-have. I got my DVD version through either Buy.com or Amazon. Rockliffe looks incredibly modern--a real, brooding hunk, of the Montgomery Clift school. Edith Storey was in the Thomas Edison compilation of First Ladies of the Screen. I adore her in "A Florida Enchantment." I'd love to see Marie Doro, too! I've seen many black and white pics of her but never a film. I watched "Affairs of Anatol" (1921), made by Cecil B. DeMille and was knocked out by Wanda Hawley! She stole the movie from gorgeous Gloria Swanson and Wallace Reid. No one has even heard of her today. What a tragedy! I want to find more Fannie Ward's works. Her "The Cheat" (1915) is one of my all-time fave movies.

#22 haroldhickory

haroldhickory

• TCM_allow
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 09 June 2003 - 12:31 PM

I think I have a picture of Edith Storey in the Egyptian costume in Blum's "Pictorial History of the Movies". Can you recall what tape this was on?

Another actress from the time period (the teens - my favorite movie era) I'd love to see on tape or DVD is Marie Doro, but I don't think any of her work is extant.

BTW, I just discovered that at least one Edith Taliaferro feature is available on DVD - Young Romance (1915). Has TCM ever shown this one?

#23 flickerknickers

flickerknickers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 04 June 2003 - 11:25 AM

Harold, I would do anything to get my hands on anything with the fantastic Edith Storey in it. I've also got compilation of famous early movie actresses with Storey in "Atalanta." And there's another short I've seen of her playing an Egyptian princess. I was totally enchanted with her in "A Florida Enchantment." She was natural, adorable, charismatic. No wonder she was Mary Pickford's biggest competitor back in those early silents!

#24 haroldhickory

haroldhickory

• TCM_allow
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 29 May 2003 - 12:56 PM

I have a copy of "A Florida Enchantment". By the way, Sidney Drew is also an excellent under-playing actor in this movie.

The only other tape I have of Edith Storey is an anthology that contains the short "A Modern Atalanta". Does any one know of any other extant films for her?

#25 flickerknickers

flickerknickers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 07 April 2003 - 08:42 AM

Alix, I check this one and several other silent favorites out of our great library here in NYC. I'm buying most of these from buy.com on DVD. "A Florida Enchantment" is still available only on tape. It was filmed on location in Florida back in l914. You'd love seeing the womens' fashions back then, and the on-location restaurants and shops they visited. One great scene is filmed on a river-boat where Edith Storey is shown against the passing backdrop of Florida's shoreline back then. From everything I've read about Storey, movie producers begged her to continue her movie career into the l920s. Her acting was incredibly natural for back then and she insisted on applying her own make-up which made her look so wonderfully modern today. But--she obviously had saved her money well and raised a family on a big estate in Long Island.

#26 alix1929

alix1929

Advanced Member

• TCM_allow
  • PipPipPip
  • 794 posts

Posted 05 April 2003 - 11:07 AM

Where did your find your copy of this movie? Or was it shown on TV?

#27 flickerknickers

flickerknickers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 02 April 2003 - 09:31 AM

I just watched once again the great but forgotten Edith Storey in the l914 "A Florida Enchantment," which has been beautifully restored to a glistening black and white enchantment. Storey was so great as the tom-boyish, fast-living socialite who takes some magic pills and becomes a man. When you watch her go from her charming, frilly "girl" side to the cigar-smoking, tophat wearing "male" side it's easy to see now why she ranked right up there with Mary Pickford back in the late l900s. Her make-up was amazingly modern--not that white face, black lipstick and heavily mascared look. I've read that in real life, she was quite a gal, too. She won racing car contests, went up in balloons and finally retired to Long Island by 1920--a forgotten hasbeen

#28 nedlato

nedlato

Advanced Member

• TCM_allow
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 01 April 2003 - 08:26 PM

I really enjoy "The Thief of Baghdad" with Douglas Fairbanks, but I have been unable to find a copy with an organ score as opposed to an orchestral one.

#29 lolmsted23

lolmsted23

Advanced Member

• TCM_allow
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 31 March 2003 - 09:37 AM

I received my bio on John Gilbert on Saturday and it's SIGNED! It seems to have a dedication to whomever bought it the first time and then it's signed by Leatrice Gilbert Fountain. I was pretty excited. Apparently her signature isn't worth that much though, since I bought it rather cheap. Still exciting though.

#30 lolmsted23

lolmsted23

Advanced Member

• TCM_allow
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 20 March 2003 - 02:51 PM

I'm with you on Mayer sabatoging Gilbert. No, I wasn't there, but I'm able to form that opinion from the many things I've read about their confrontation. AND from the things I've read of Mayer, I wouldn't put it past him. I can't wait 'til my book comes though, to read more about it.

#31 flickerknickers

flickerknickers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 20 March 2003 - 12:47 PM

"Dark Star" is a good read about Leatrice Joy Fountain's famous dad, John Gilbert. It's written from a daughter's perspective but she still creates a memorable portrait. I talked to her one night years ago during a special showing here in NYC of "Flesh and the Devil" with a big, live orchestra and a sold-out crowd. What an experience! And the print was a knockout. Anyway, Leatrice repeated to me, as she does in her book, that there is no doubt that Louis B. Mayer actively sabatoged Gilbert's talkie debut. I also mention this in my book about the early talkies, "The Kiss of King Kong", and from everything I researched and from the old timers I talked to, they agree. Mayer defenders always pooh-pooh this idea.

#32 lolmsted23

lolmsted23

Advanced Member

• TCM_allow
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 19 March 2003 - 01:06 PM

Alix, Leatrice Gilbert was born in 1924 while dad was still alive. She actually became an actress herself in bit parts for some big movies. I found the book at a used bookstore a couple years ago and skimmed through it but alas, I did not buy it and I should have. After I posted yesterday, I found that Alibris has a few new and used copies and ordered one for myself. It is called Dark Star and has a subtitle. Good luck in finding it. Also, about Kay Frances from your post in Pre-Codes--I have some info on her in a book called The Power of Glamour about what she did after her movie career. I'll post it tomorrow.

#33 alix1929

alix1929

Advanced Member

• TCM_allow
  • PipPipPip
  • 794 posts

Posted 19 March 2003 - 12:49 PM

When was Leatrice Gilbert Fountain born, I wonder? Was she born before or after John's death?

I didn't know she'd written a bio on her dad, and I bet it's interesting reading. When I want to locate an obscure book, I always rely on Ebay. Only rarely can I not find what I need (although sometimes I have to look for a month or two before I find it).

Has anyone read this Gilbert bio?

#34 lolmsted23

lolmsted23

Advanced Member

• TCM_allow
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 18 March 2003 - 02:48 PM

Alix, the only movie I have seen Leatrice Joy in is Love Nest from 1951 with Marilyn Monroe. I think this was the first film she'd done since her silent days (in which she appeared in DOZENS!) and I think it was her last film as well. Their daughter, Leatrice Gilbert Fountain, wrote a book on dad, but not much was said about mom as I can recall. Actually, I've been trying to get my hands on a copy of that book again with not much luck. Anyone out there know anything about it?

#35 alix1929

alix1929

Advanced Member

• TCM_allow
  • PipPipPip
  • 794 posts

Posted 18 March 2003 - 11:40 AM

Has anyone seen any films starring Leatrice Joy? I have seen her on film making comments about classic Hollywood, but haven't seen any of her work, and know practically nothing about her life, except that she was married once to John Gilbert. What happened there?

Can anyone enlighten me?

#36 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2003 - 07:01 AM

Just re-saw Our Dancing Daughters, which offers Joan Crawford, Anita Page and Dorothy Sebastian as the consummate flappers of 1928. All three looked great. This is the film F Scott Fitzgerald saw when he made his comment about Crawford. Too bad they didn't do a better job highlighting Crawford's Charleston number. It's badly edited so the sequence loses its umph... This may be Page's best performance. Her confrontation scene with Crawford and Johnny Mack Brown is quite terrific and her fall down the ugly stairs is very well done. Could that have really been Anita Page tumbling down the stairs? It sure looks like her.... Anyway, snappy film with 3 faves. Also interesting was 40-year-old Kathlyn Williams playing the middle-aged mom of Page.

#37 Guest_Lorusso, Ed_*

Guest_Lorusso, Ed_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 November 2002 - 09:17 AM

Just saw the TCM special on Joan Crawford and thought it was quite good, especially the part that covered her silent film years. Interesting that F Scott Fitzgerald named Crawford as the ideal flapper of the 20s. Showed some stills from several films and a few scenes from West Point (with William Haines) and Unknown with Lon Chaney... This special was on when Joan was Star of the Month, but I missed its ONE showing that month. Also nice nice info on her rivalries with Norma Shearer and Bette Davis. Anyway, it was well done and ranks with TCM specials on Clara Bow, Marion Davies, etc. And it beats the godawful westerns!!!!!

#38 Guest_K, Sandy_*

Guest_K, Sandy_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 October 2002 - 01:36 PM

Dulce, I believe that THE SCARLET LETTER is going to be shown on TCM in December or January as one of the Silent Sunday Nights features. I love Lillian Gish, too.

#39 Guest_Alix_*

Guest_Alix_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2002 - 09:55 PM

Dulce, if you have never seen THE WIND or BROKEN BLOSSOMS, you will enjoy them very much. Richard Barthlemess is also very good in BB as the Oriental man who befriends Lillian Gish. I have not seen THE SCARLET LETTER, but assume it's a good one too.

#40 Guest_Robles, Dulce_*

Guest_Robles, Dulce_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2002 - 08:23 PM

I love Lillian Gish - could you please put The Wind, Broken Blossoms and The Scarlet Letter on your schedule? I missed them all when they were broadcast.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users