We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Off Topic: Favorite Music?

• Please log in to reply
6933 replies to this topic

#1 newclassicfilmfan1

newclassicfilmfan1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted Today, 04:17 PM

Loved, loved, LOVED Tom Petty.  Great guy.    I will miss him.   A true legend.   I also liked him on Traveling Wilburys - if anyone can post "End of the Line" video.  I love when Tom Petty wears that hat.   He was something special.

I wish they'd have some tributes to him on tv.  I don't see a thing...anyone know of any specials on him?

#2 TheGayDivorcee

TheGayDivorcee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,953 posts
  • LocationThe Golden State

Posted 12 October 2017 - 08:55 AM

'Here Comes My Girl' was the song that propelled me to purchase my first Tom Petty album.

Also - I'm surprised there isn't more coverage and specials on him on tv.    He was one of the biggest rock legends EVER.

Did you happen to see the clip of a football stadium of people in his native Florida singing along to "I Won't Back Down?"  Very moving tribute.

Bring the boy an eggnog.  Two eggs.

#3 newclassicfilmfan1

newclassicfilmfan1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 09:05 PM

George Harrison also helped Petty through those rough times and became his best friend.

I love the song "Learning to Fly" and that video clip.    Also, "here comes my girl" is a great song and video - I love the way Petty shouts with his booming voice and then changes tempo to sing softly.   

He was one of the best singer/songwriters - certainly one of my favorites.   He had a great stage presence too - charisma....loved his hair and the clothes - he was a cool looking guy.

I liked a lot of his songs - refugee, free fallin', American Girl, Runnin Down a Dream, I won't back down, Don't do me like that.....and I think one of my favorites is "The Waiting"....but who can really pick a "favorite"?  The guy never made a bad song.    He was tops in my book.  I'm heartbroken that he is gone.

I also like the duet with Stevie Nicks - Stop Draggin My Heart.   I liked the video - only because of Petty.

Also - I'm surprised there isn't more coverage and specials on him on tv.    He was one of the biggest rock legends EVER.

• TheGayDivorcee likes this

#4 darkblue

darkblue

child of vision

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,052 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 07:02 PM

Love the 'Swingin' video, Lawrence.

It has a kitty cat in it!

White Knights, Manginas and Simps, oh my!

#5 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Watchman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,109 posts
  • LocationThe Wild Frontier

Posted 06 October 2017 - 09:21 PM

Tom Petty was one of my favorites.  So hard to believe he's gone and just so randomly.  It's not like we'd heard that he'd been ill or had open heart surgery or he was in his 90s or something.  

As I stated elsewhere, I read Petty's biography last year, and it revealed a lot more about him than I ever knew. When he went to California in the mid-70's, cocaine was the big drug of choice, and they all snorted mountains of it. Petty reputedly never developed a real problem with it (unlike his close friend Stevie Nicks), and made it through that era relatively unscathed. 

However, and this was very surprising to me, he later developed a severe heroin problem after a series of personal problem led him to bad bouts of depression. Many of his friends and bandmates thought that he would be dead sooner rather than later, it was that bad. And this was relatively late in life, after the release of the very successful Greatest Hits album in 1993 and the solo album Wildflowers in 1994 and his divorce from his first wife in 1996. He was apparently a complete wreck when they recorded the Echo album in 98-99. Here's a video from that time:

He eventually got clean, partly thanks to his second wife, but you can tell from pictures that this period put a toll on his health. He also started gaining weight after being a beanpole most of his life, and that puts a strain on an already weakened heart. So while I was very saddened by his death, and I wasn't expecting it, it's not too great of a surprise. There was a lot of living in those 66 years.

#6 speedracer5

speedracer5

Errol Flynn's girlfriend in a parallel universe,back in time

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,680 posts
  • LocationForest Grove, Oregon

Posted 06 October 2017 - 08:34 PM

Tom Petty was one of my favorites.  So hard to believe he's gone and just so randomly.  It's not like we'd heard that he'd been ill or had open heart surgery or he was in his 90s or something.  

This one was one of my (many) favorite Tom Petty songs.

• darkblue, LawrenceA and JamesStewartFan95 like this

"It's not an old movie if you haven't seen it." -Lauren Bacall

"A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down your pants." -Ted Baxter on "The Mary Tyler Moore Show"

Proud member of:

dxmdyx.png

My classic movie and television blog:

Whimsically Classic

https://whimsicallyc....wordpress.com/

#7 darkblue

darkblue

child of vision

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,052 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 05:00 PM

'Here Comes My Girl' was the song that propelled me to purchase my first Tom Petty album.

#8 TheGayDivorcee

TheGayDivorcee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,953 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 04:37 AM

Yet another musician gone too soon, Tom Petty at age 66.  Hard to choose a song, but this has always been a favorite.  I like how he had smiles or cute exchanges with the Heartbreakers.

Tom Petty, 1950 - 2017.

• darkblue, newclassicfilmfan1 and JamesStewartFan95 like this

#9 Vautrin

Vautrin

Quel siecle a mains!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,608 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 19 September 2017 - 03:57 PM

Curse Sir Walter Raleigh, he was such a stupid get.

#10 Vautrin

Vautrin

Quel siecle a mains!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,608 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 19 September 2017 - 03:57 PM

#11 TheGayDivorcee

TheGayDivorcee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,953 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 05:14 AM

Had been hearing bits of this song in a commercial and finally figured out it is Harry Nilsson's "Jump Into the Fire."  Maybe decades since I've heard it, but it holds up well.  In the commercial it sounds like something maybe written today.

Not the greatest sound in this clip from a 1974 horror movie, but it features many a luminary, most of them now gone:

• darkblue and misswonderly3 like this

#12 TheGayDivorcee

TheGayDivorcee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,953 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 04:50 AM

Thank you, Glen Campbell, for making this timeless. 

My favorite of his.  Someone (in Wiki, maybe?)  described it as the "first existential country song."

• Casablanca100views likes this

#13 darkblue

darkblue

child of vision

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,052 posts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 01:44 AM

I watched the original un-narrated version of 'Dementia' today. I'd seen it previously only in its later Ed McMahon narrated version known as 'Daughter of Horror'.

Anyway, reminded me of this Faith No More video that utilized the movie's imagery.

#14 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Watchman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,109 posts
  • LocationThe Wild Frontier

Posted 05 September 2017 - 10:12 PM

R.I.P.  Holger Czukay (1938-2017) - bass, songwriter in the group Can

• darkblue likes this

#15 JamesStewartFan95

JamesStewartFan95

The Great Pumpkin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 869 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 08:04 PM

• misswonderly3 likes this

#16 darkblue

darkblue

child of vision

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,052 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 07:29 PM

Referred to by one critic as "the Caruso of rock", it seemed Gene Pitney could do no wrong from 1961 to 1966. At least a dozen hits (more actually) and millions of records sold.

But after 1966, he had only one more hit - in 1968 - called 'She's a Heartbreaker'.

I always thought that this one should have been a hit for him as well, but it wasn't. I sure liked it. Still do.

Here's another of his post-1966 releases that I think deserved to be a hit but wasn't.

#17 newclassicfilmfan1

newclassicfilmfan1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 09:25 PM

Ricky Nelson - great voice, great looking.  For teen idols, I thought David Cassidy was the best teen idol by far.  He actually had a larger fan base than the Beatles and Elvis COMBINED.    (back in 1971-1972).

#18 darkblue

darkblue

child of vision

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,052 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 08:52 PM

Ricky was without question the greatest of the "teen idols". Only Elvis had more hits and sold more records from 1956 to 1962. Over Nelson's career he hit the charts at least 30 times.

When he turned 21, he dropped the "y". His last hits were labeled to Rick Nelson.

• misswonderly3 likes this

#19 Casablanca100views

Casablanca100views

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 673 posts
  • LocationMy Imagination

Posted 08 August 2017 - 05:56 PM

Thank you, Glen Campbell, for making this timeless. 

• misswonderly3, TheGayDivorcee and Princess of Tap like this

All characters and events portrayed in this motion picture are fictitious .  Any similarity to persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.  

#20 Vautrin

Vautrin

Quel siecle a mains!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,608 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 26 July 2017 - 03:44 PM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users