We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Off Topic: Favorite Music?

• Please log in to reply
6867 replies to this topic

#1 TheGayDivorcee

TheGayDivorcee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
  • LocationThe Golden State

Posted Today, 03:12 AM

Another rock legend bites the dust.  Chuck Berry, truly one of the greats.

I thought I was familiar with most of his music, but when I first saw Pulp Fiction, I'd never heard this song, nor did I realize it was a Chuck Berry track. It was released in 1964, a bit after Chuck's golden time, and maybe for that reason it didn't get the attention it deserved.

Here 'tis. I just picked a vid with a still of Chuck Berry, because even though the Pulp Fiction dance number is a delight to watch, I think it might distract a bit from Chuck Berry, who deserves some undiluted attention today.  Good tune.

This is my favorite Chuck Berry song.  I heard it for the first time in the car when my family was driving up the coast to Hearst Castle on summer vacation.  You know how songs were played over and over then, by the end of the trip we knew the lyrics by heart (or what we thought were the lyrics!) and were all singing away, my sister and me in the back seat, my parents up in front.  Whenever it comes on today I'm transported, though with a little bittersweet pang for those happy days.     

It's a hard world for little things.

#2 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,247 posts
  • LocationThereabouts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 10:59 AM

I like that song a lot, JSF. Howard DeVoto left the Buzzcocks and formed Magazine, who released this song that I enjoy:

#3 JamesStewartFan95

JamesStewartFan95

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 08:30 AM

• TheGayDivorcee and LawrenceA like this

#4 JamesStewartFan95

JamesStewartFan95

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 08:27 AM

To make up for posting a clip of Madonna on this forum, I'm posting videos for these two recent earworms.

#5 JamesStewartFan95

JamesStewartFan95

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 06:04 AM

Here is the original version of the song, misswonderly. Just for comparison. A pretty solid cover by The Commitments, I must say. That guy sure can sing.

• misswonderly3 and TheGayDivorcee like this

#6 darkblue

darkblue

child of vision

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,226 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 10:28 PM

Ughh.

Can't imagine you'll be getting many likes for that one, JSF.

I may live badly but at least I don't have to work to do it.

#7 JamesStewartFan95

JamesStewartFan95

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 09:01 PM

This is a weird, unexplainable guilty pleasure for me. For whatever reason I just really like it. It also reminds me of the opening scene from Reservoir Dogs.

#8 darkblue

darkblue

child of vision

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,226 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 08:39 PM

Man, whoever gets to be with her - the dork or not - is in store for a real happy life with that ****, wouldn't you say.

#9 DownGoesFrazier

DownGoesFrazier

Advanced Spinner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57,245 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA

Posted 20 March 2017 - 01:14 PM

I thought I was familiar with most of his music, but when I first saw Pulp Fiction, I'd never heard this song, nor did I realize it was a Chuck Berry track. It was released in 1964, a bit after Chuck's golden time, and maybe for that reason it didn't get the attention it deserved.

Here t'is. I just picked a vid with a still of Chuck Berry, because even though the Pulp Fiction dance number is a delight to watch, I think it might distract a bit from Chuck Berry, who deserves some undiluted attention today.  Good tune.

We all know what a profound and extensive influence Chuck Berry had on rock and roll music. Here's just one example. I'm pretty sure, if you listen, you can hear echoes of the song posted above in this Nick Lowe composition.  You never can tell.

"Cez La Vie say the Old Folks, goes to show you never can tell"----One of his most enduring lines. 

• misswonderly3 likes this

#10 misswonderly3

misswonderly3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,116 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 20 March 2017 - 01:04 PM

Here 'tis. I just picked a vid with a still of Chuck Berry, because even though the Pulp Fiction dance number is a delight to watch, I think it might distract a bit from Chuck Berry, who deserves some undiluted attention today.  Good tune.

We all know what a profound and extensive influence Chuck Berry had on rock and roll music. Here's just one example. I'm pretty sure, if you listen, you can hear echoes of the song posted above in this Nick Lowe composition.  You never can tell.

• darkblue and TheGayDivorcee like this

"....What is it?"

"The stuff that dreams are made of."

#11 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,247 posts
  • LocationThereabouts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 07:56 PM

"Come On" is a great track. The Rolling Stones cover was their very first single in '63.

• darkblue likes this

#12 darkblue

darkblue

child of vision

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,226 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 07:12 PM

The great Chuck Berry died today. He was 90.

For some reason, this modest hit from 1961 is one of my very favorite Berry songs.

• misswonderly3, TheGayDivorcee and LawrenceA like this

#13 misswonderly3

misswonderly3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,116 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 17 March 2017 - 04:22 PM

Great song, db, and one I hadn't heard before. I like Steve Earle, so down-to-earth; just a guy who makes good music.

I hate to be predictable, but I can't resist posting a song here in honour of St. Patrick's Day. So much  Irish music to choose from, but I'm just going to go with a song from the film The Commitments, because I love it, and it's very Irish (even though all the songs they do are actually American. You'd have to see the movie to get it...)

Then I think a little Van the Man Morrison is in order. Again, this song is not particularly Irish, but he's Irish (from Belfast, but Northern Ireland is still Ireland), and besides, I'll go with any excuse to post anything by Van Morrison.

(hey, I said it wasn't an Irish song....it's an Irish movie.  And what a fun song it is.)

This is a really obvious Van choice, I could have picked lots of less known tunes, but I feel Van Morrison doesn't get the love he deserves in North America, so I decided to go with a "hit". Again, far from any Irish content, Van is celebrating an American musician here. There's no need for argument. There's no argument at all.

• darkblue likes this

"....What is it?"

#14 darkblue

darkblue

child of vision

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,226 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 10:56 AM

but there's killers on the highway now

and a man can't get round

so I sold my soul for wheels that roll

now I'm stuck here in this town

come back, Woody Guthrie

come back to us now

• misswonderly3 likes this

#15 Vautrin

Vautrin

Quel siecle a mains!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,764 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 10 March 2017 - 05:19 PM

• darkblue likes this

Curse Sir Walter Raleigh, he was such a stupid get.

#16 misswonderly3

misswonderly3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,116 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 03 March 2017 - 11:13 AM

I love Redemption Song - my favourite Bob Marley tune. It always moves me.

"....What is it?"

#17 darkblue

darkblue

child of vision

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,226 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 11:29 PM

I think it was 1987 when I became instantly smitten by the petite, messy-haired Maria McKee - she was fronting the group Lone Justice in their one appearance on SNL and singing 'Shelter'. Not just adorable, but man, can she emote!

She went solo in 1989 and released her self-titled debut album. This track was the album closer on that:

#18 DownGoesFrazier

DownGoesFrazier

Advanced Spinner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57,245 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 10:01 AM

Thanks. Other Steely Dan favorites are "Haitian Divorce", "Kid Charlemagne", "Don't Take Me Alive"," Dr. Wu", "FM", and "Do It Again".

#19 darkblue

darkblue

child of vision

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,226 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 06:47 PM

I'm a big Steely Dan fan. I think their two best songs are "Deacon Blues" and the obscure "Glamour Profession".

#20 DownGoesFrazier

DownGoesFrazier

Advanced Spinner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57,245 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 09:33 AM

When this Steely Dan song came out I couldn't figure out the title no matter how many times I heard it on the radio.  It may have been decades before I found out what it all meant via the internet.  We had it tough back then!  But it was mysterious and challenging, the guessing of it all was a major after-school occupation.  Now we can simply type in Taylor Swift's or The Weeknd's latest tune and learn everything and then some. :rolleyes:     

I'm a big Steely Dan fan. I think their two best songs are "Deacon Blues" and the obscure "Glamour Profession".

• TheGayDivorcee likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users