We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Off Topic: Favorite Music?

• Please log in to reply
6867 replies to this topic

#41 misswonderly3

misswonderly3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,116 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 13 February 2017 - 10:31 AM

This may be the wrong place for this post, but...

I really don't understand the obsession with Beyonce.  People act as if she's some infallible goddess, everything she does is brilliant and beyond anything that has ever been done in the history of mankind.

I don't think Beyonce is all that great.  Most of her songs are crap, you can't even hear her words.  At this point, I think she's buying her own hype because all I see are these self-indulgent displays of pretentiousness. 

Me too ! I'm with you, GayDivorcee, and Lawrence.

I too just don't get the Beyonce thing. I don't know which annoys and puzzles me more, the "Beyonce is a goddess and a female role model to all women"  thing, or the seemingly almost universal admiration of her music, which as far as I can hear is tuneless, unexciting, and unworthy of all the adoration it elicits.  I cannot understand why. It reminds of the story about The Emperor's New Clothes. And you, Speedy, have called it, the great fraud, just like the smart kid in the crowd  (from that story, I mean.)

• speedracer5 and TheGayDivorcee like this

"....What is it?"

"The stuff that dreams are made of."

#42 TheGayDivorcee

TheGayDivorcee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
  • LocationThe Golden State

Posted 13 February 2017 - 04:20 AM

I really don't understand the obsession with Beyonce.  People act as if she's some infallible goddess, everything she does is brilliant and beyond anything that has ever been done in the history of mankind.

I don't think Beyonce is all that great.  Most of her songs are crap, you can't even hear her words.  At this point, I think she's buying her own hype because all I see are these self-indulgent displays of pretentiousness. 

Bless you, speedracer, my thoughts exactly.   A friend is besotted with Beyonce, and has even written papers on her.  We very nearly came to fisticuffs about it once!   She has so many devoted fans, but the appeal is somehow lost on me.  Tonight on the Grammys I was more impressed with Lady Gaga getting down to Metallica.  I'm sure the mosh pit was well vetted, but that leap she made into it was still pretty impressive!

• misswonderly3 and speedracer5 like this

It's a hard world for little things.

#43 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,264 posts
  • LocationThereabouts

Posted 12 February 2017 - 11:34 PM

I wish I could "Like" your post a hundred times over, because this is exactly how I've felt about her since she first started taking up news space a decade or more ago. I've never understood the appeal of her music, and while she's by no means ugly, she's also not the pinnacle of female perfection that she is constantly promoted as being. I have often wished for both her and her overrated rap-star husband Jay-Z to take an early retirement.

• misswonderly3 and speedracer5 like this

#44 speedracer5

speedracer5

Errol Flynn's girlfriend in a parallel universe,back in time

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,307 posts
  • LocationForest Grove, Oregon

Posted 12 February 2017 - 10:34 PM

• misswonderly3, TheGayDivorcee and LawrenceA like this

"It's not an old movie if you haven't seen it." -Lauren Bacall

Proud member of:

dxmdyx.png

My classic movie and television blog:

Whimsically Classic

https://whimsicallyc....wordpress.com/

#45 misswonderly3

misswonderly3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,116 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 10 February 2017 - 04:52 PM

Saw Blowup tonight.  Each time I watch for different, small things I might have missed in past viewings.  This time I focused on Jeff Beck playing his guitar which led to googling his musical background.  I learned that at age 6 he heard How High the Moon on the radio and decided he wanted to play guitar like Les Paul.  Who can blame him?

G.D.  my friend !  I always enjoy your contributions here so much !

Believe it or not,I used to have a cassette tape of Les Paul and Mary Ford  ("The Hits of..." or something like that.) Remember cassette tapes? My husband gave it to me, years ago, after a conversation we had about who invented the electric guitar. I remember I loved "How High the Moon".  My favourite part is around when, just after Les Paul's little solo, Mary's voice kind of soars - I think it's around 1:11 on the video you posted.  Fun song.

• TheGayDivorcee likes this

"....What is it?"

#46 misswonderly3

misswonderly3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,116 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 10 February 2017 - 04:45 PM

Looks like we're all going in different directions here this week. But hey, that's ok - this thread is nothing if not eclectic. I like Bobby Darin  (speedy, have you seen the Kevin Spacey biopic about him?), and that Jay and the Americans tune was pretty darn good.

But I've had tunes from Paul Simon's "Graceland" going through my head lately. Here's one of the catchiest from that classic record. It's so light and breezy and catchy. When the intro chanting part seques into that opening guitar bit, my ears zing with pleasure, that guitar bit is so pretty. I wish I had diamonds on the soles of my shoes.

• darkblue and JamesStewartFan95 like this

"....What is it?"

#47 darkblue

darkblue

child of vision

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,226 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 03:45 PM

Wasn't their biggest hit, but it was their first.

And their most melodic.

I may live badly but at least I don't have to work to do it.

#48 speedracer5

speedracer5

Errol Flynn's girlfriend in a parallel universe,back in time

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,307 posts
  • LocationForest Grove, Oregon

Posted 04 February 2017 - 03:52 AM

I got a Bobby Darin Greatest Hits album a couple weeks ago and love it.  Lately though, I cannot get enough of "Dream Lover."  I had heard this song before, but only randomly when it'd pop up on Pandora or something.  In the context of all of Darin's other songs, I really love it.  It's one of my favorites.

• misswonderly3 likes this

"It's not an old movie if you haven't seen it." -Lauren Bacall

Proud member of:

dxmdyx.png

My classic movie and television blog:

Whimsically Classic

https://whimsicallyc....wordpress.com/

#49 TheGayDivorcee

TheGayDivorcee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 03:07 AM

Saw Blowup tonight.  Each time I watch for different, small things I might have missed in past viewings.  This time I focused on Jeff Beck playing his guitar which led to googling his musical background.  I learned that at age 6 he heard How High the Moon on the radio and decided he wanted to play guitar like Les Paul.  Who can blame him?

• darkblue and misswonderly3 like this

#50 TheGayDivorcee

TheGayDivorcee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 02:59 AM

Fascinating to hear three such different, and good, versions.  I can't choose.  Billie's is the one to listen to when you're feeling low, maybe during or after a devastating love affair, while the other two are clearly more upbeat.  

Don't know the John Legend version, but suspect it wouldn't be my cup of tea.

#51 darkblue

darkblue

child of vision

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,226 posts

Posted 28 January 2017 - 01:11 PM

It's interesting to compare great artists' versions of  great songs.  "All of Me" is one of those songs covered by many singers. Here are two of the best.

Billie Holiday: Frank Sinatra: Which  do you like better? I think they're both equally good, just different.

Most definitely Billie's version. Frank's take is swing jazz - fun. But it's a song of longing, so it doesn't really feel right. He utilizes that slightly off-synch phrasing as well, which he'd do as his personal style, but I don't care for the effect in this particular song.

Billie's take is, unsurprisingly, blues jazz. A little morose, but closer to the song's emotional meaning. Billie doesn't just sing a song; she cries a song. 

When I sing "All of Me", this is the version that I reference. American Song Book inspired, roots music country style - definitely my favorite version of all the ones I've heard:

#52 misswonderly3

misswonderly3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,116 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 28 January 2017 - 11:59 AM

It's interesting to compare great artists' versions of  great songs.  "All of Me" is one of those songs covered by many singers. Here are two of the best.

Billie Holiday:

Frank Sinatra:

Which  do you like better? I think they're both equally good, just different.

edit: I just found out, posting this, that there's another song called "All of Me", by John Legend. Shows how out-of-it I am, I hadn't even heard of this one. But I listened to it carefully, and, sorry John Legend fans, it's not as good a song as the 1931 composition by the same name.

"....What is it?"

#53 darkblue

darkblue

child of vision

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,226 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 11:31 PM

I don't know what to say about this song. It's almost embarrassing, it's so intense and intimate. It's like some paen to ....I don't even know what. The singer and musicians together take this music to some other level, as though they're seeking to attain some other state. That's how I hear it, anyway.  And the lyrics are as mystical as the music.  They must have been listening to Van Morrison.

I dunno, maybe the embarrassing part is me going on this way. but I love this song. A little bit of ecstasy, the non-drug kind.

That there is the kind of track that sometimes, when I'd be lying on my back with eyes closed and stoned on some good indica, might serve to cause the sensation of floating upward - an astral-travel kind of thing.

But the ending of the track might propel me into sleepy byes. I'd prefer a less somnolent finish so as to keep on trippin'.

#54 misswonderly3

misswonderly3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,116 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 21 January 2017 - 02:21 PM

I don't know what to say about this song. It's almost embarrassing, it's so intense and intimate. It's like some paen to ....I don't even know what. The singer and musicians together take this music to some other level, as though they're seeking to attain some other state. That's how I hear it, anyway.  And the lyrics are as mystical as the music.  They must have been listening to Van Morrison.

I dunno, maybe the embarrassing part is me going on this way. but I love this song. A little bit of ecstasy, the non-drug kind.

• darkblue and TheGayDivorcee like this

"....What is it?"

#55 misswonderly3

misswonderly3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,116 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 21 January 2017 - 02:17 PM

Listening to lots of J. GEILS BAND albums lately; the ones issued by Atlantic from 1970-77. 

I esp. like "NIGHTMARES . . . And Other Tales from the Vinyl Jungle".  A 1974 release. 

Also listening to the 1975 album "Searchin' For A Rainbow" by The Marshall Tucker Band. 

Despite their (relative) fame, I'm not very familiar with the J. Geils Band. I've certainly heard a lot about them, so maybe it's time I checked out their music. I'll start with "Nightmares".

"....What is it?"

#56 Mr. Gorman

Mr. Gorman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,695 posts
  • Locationstate of GA

Posted 19 January 2017 - 06:45 AM

Listening to lots of J. GEILS BAND albums lately; the ones issued by Atlantic from 1970-77. 

I esp. like "NIGHTMARES . . . And Other Tales from the Vinyl Jungle".  A 1974 release. 

Also listening to the 1975 album "Searchin' For A Rainbow" by The Marshall Tucker Band. 

#57 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,264 posts
  • LocationThereabouts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 11:01 PM

R.I.P.  Steve Wright, bass player, The Greg Kihn Band

#58 TheGayDivorcee

TheGayDivorcee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 01:49 AM

While strolling around a shopping center today I heard lovely sounds emanating from a flower bed.  On closer inspection a purply-blue snapdragon appeared to be the chanteuse.  Apparently it's a little known fact* that snapdragons are quite versatile singers, often enjoying impromptu public performances for unsuspecting passers-by.  Who knew?  And a favorite of mine to boot:

*Tip of the hat to MissWonderly

#59 TheGayDivorcee

TheGayDivorcee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 06:46 PM

I love this song. All god-like beings and magic and mandolin. Sandy Denny and Robert Plant made a great singing team.

Sing along in Spanish, if you like.

This song always transports me--hadn't heard with Sandy Denny.  Their voices really mesh beautifully.  Had to turn the volume to low as Robert Plant's dulcet tones make my cat's ears twitch like crazy.

#60 TheGayDivorcee

TheGayDivorcee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 06:34 PM

GD, thanks for reminding me of this song. I remember it well.

Unfortunately, for some reason all I get from your link is "This video is not available." I don't even know if it means "not available IN CANADA", or, not available AT ALL.

No matter. I found a version on  youtube that was available. Very soulful.

It just played for me, so maybe it's a Canadian thing?  Some sort of rights issue maybe?  But yes, oozing with soul.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users