We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Off Topic: Favorite Music?

• Please log in to reply
6874 replies to this topic

#6861 butterscotchgreer

butterscotchgreer

Baby T

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,200 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 04:24 PM

Your Grandmother is the best! Your Grandfather sure was fortunate to marry her. The only Eddy Duchin I've ever heard is from the Tyrone Power movie, lol. I do love Glenn Miller---he and Artie Shaw are my favorites from the Big Bands. I also like Harry James and that horn. Also, he had a fair singer with his band for a minute. A skinny little baritone.

yes she is the best!!! my grandpapa still is fortunate! heehee!

ever since i had seen the Eddy Duchin Story at her house, and she saw that i was so fascintaed with it, she gave me one of his cassette tapes of his music that she had, and then i got some of his records and cds and stuff. i just love him!

i love when junie allyson sings "the young man with a horn" while harry james is playing along side her in Two Girls and a Sailor!!! i love his version of the "flight of the bumblebee". boy he can really swing it!! i remember the skinny little baritone! heehee!

Are you kidding? He was perfection. What about Harold Arlen? My favorite by him? "Blues in the Night." My mama done told me...a man is a two face...a worrisome thing who'll drive you to sing the blues....in the night."

yes my sentiments exactly april!! i love all harold arlen's music too! i have a recording of barbra streisand singing a song with harold arlen."blues in the night"!!!!!! oh my goodness! this is too good! i love that one!

how about the gershwins?

#6862 MissGoddess

MissGoddess

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,749 posts
  • LocationHaleakaloha and Monument Valley

Posted 25 January 2008 - 03:49 PM

Thank you, Ayers! Sometimes I get sick of the internet radio program I listen to at work so this one might make a good alternative. :)

1-sophia-loren--150x150.jpg

#6863 ayresorchids

ayresorchids

Advanced Member

• TCM_allow
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,778 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 03:47 PM

Whenever there is a discussion of the great music of this era, I once again drop in to let people know that there's a great hot jazz radio program that you can listen to each Saturday night in real time, or during the ensuing week online. The host is entertainingly informative and careful about accuracy. So here is my first drop-in of the year:

http://wamu.org/programs/hjsn/

He often plays Annette Hanshaw, which is what reminded me...

#6864 Snorky

Snorky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 03:44 PM

Hungarian-born composer Mikl?s R?zsa gave the score a strong Eastern European flavor that reminds me of gypsy music - combine that with a sense of the epic from a master of the genre.
As far as I know he did no other scores ever quite like this one!
They use a very unique musical instrument to it's fullest and I had to skim a few reviews at IMDb to learn exactly what it is. They do show it being played maybe at the beginning of the movie only(?) - I'm not sure but that seems the likely place.
It's a hammer dulcimer - I'm glad some reviewer knew what it was.

I haven't heard of Hard Contract - I'll have to watch for that one, thanks for the recommendation.

J

Message was edited by: Snorky

#6865 MissGoddess

MissGoddess

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,749 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 03:34 PM

i also looooooove eddy duchin's music. my grandmama also loves Eddy Duchin and Glenn Miller best along side Guy Lombardo, and that is where i inherited my love from them

Your Grandmother is the best! Your Grandfather sure was fortunate to marry her. :) The only Eddy Duchin I've ever heard is from the Tyrone Power movie, lol. I do love Glenn Miller---he and Artie Shaw are my favorites from the Big Bands. I also like Harry James and that horn. Also, he had a fair singer with his band for a minute. A skinny little baritone.

do you like jerome kern's music too? i love jerome kern!! i love "smoke gets in your eyes" and "ol' man river".

Are you kidding? He was perfection. What about Harold Arlen? My favorite by him? "Blues in the Night." My mama done told me...a man is a two face...a worrisome thing who'll drive you to sing the blues....in the night."

#6866 MissGoddess

MissGoddess

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,749 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 03:28 PM

Hi Jeff---I love alot of the music from the sixties and I'm not even referring to rock-n-roll and I think there are several soundtracks from the era that deserve some kind of release or download availability. I will look out for *The Power* on TCM's schedule. There is a movie called *Hard Contract* from the late 'sixties that has a beautiful, jazzy score by Alex North which I wish was available somewhere.

#6867 Snorky

Snorky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 03:22 PM

Hi, Thanks for posting the link!

Don't know if it's the same site but it's probably where I downloaded that clip in the past.
Just right-button menu click on the picture/ link and choose "save target as" to download.

It's Annette singing "We Just Couldn't Say Goodbye" from the film Captain Henry's Showboat(1933).

I highly recommend the "Annette Hanshaw - It Was So Beautiful: Her Last Recordings 1932-34" CD featuring Benny Goodman, Jimmy Dorsey, Manny Klein, Eddie Lang, Joe Venuti and Jack Teagarden.
Top band leaders of the day.

This CD has rather cheap cover art but the sound quality is far and above
any of the other Annette Hanshaw CDs.

They've done some kind of filtering to clean up all the noise.
It sounds fabulous by comparison to the others.
There is one techno glitch at the end of the last song though, but oh well.

Unbelievable that she never thought herself that talented
and retired from showbiz in 1935.

What a shame!

#6868 Gregory1965

Gregory1965

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 03:10 PM

I love Annette Hanshaw too, and for anyone who hasn't discovered her charming voice yet, here's a link to her only known film appearance:

http://www.jazzage19...ettehanshaw.php

That's all

#6869 butterscotchgreer

butterscotchgreer

Baby T

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,200 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 02:43 PM

ButterScotch Theresa! you are amazing---I know all those artists by name but I'm not too familiar with most of their songs! That's so cool. Guy Lombardo and Les Brown? Marvelous.

thank you april, but you are even more amazing!! heehee! yes my grandmama has a lot of records of Guy Lombardo, and i listen to all her records. heehee! i have lots of Les Brown songs on my compilation cds of big bands.

oh how could i forget??!!! i also looooooove eddy duchin's music. my grandmama also loves Eddy Duchin and Glenn Miller best along side Guy Lombardo, and that is where i inherited my love from them. ;)
Jose Iturbi is also a great genius piano player i love! i have all his movies and love listening to him!

let us not forget "Whatever Lola Wants" and "Put the Blame on Mame". heehee!

do you like jerome kern's music too? i love jerome kern!! i love "smoke gets in your eyes" and "ol' man river".

i also love strauss....oh how i love strauss. my favorite of his is,"on the beautiful blue danube". everytime i hear that playing, i see mr. and mrs. chips waltzing in that ballroom. (sighs heavily!!) heehee!

#6870 Snorky

Snorky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 02:39 PM

>The Betty Grable music sounds like fun, so do the Busby Berkely tunes.
>The kind of music to cheer one up.

Hi April!

That reminded me, I forgot to mention "The Carl Stalling Project" CD which has some of the "Looney Tunes" soundtrack music. It's been a while since I've listened to that.

Actually it was the Warner Bros. pit orchestra who did both the Busby Berkeley and the Looney Tunes music, if I'm not mistaken.

>I don't think I've ever heard of The Power.

The Power (1968) is directed by George Pal and stars George Hamilton & Suzanne Pleshette.

The movie looks and sounds great - boasting a modern 60's style and a haunting, unforgettable soundtrack by Mikl?s R?zsa.

It still seems to be available from Collector's Choice Music as
"Atlantis: The Lost Continent/ The Power".

http://www.ccmusic.c...temid=FSM080022

It's taken from the original sountrack album master. Unfortunately that's all that survives of the original soundtrack.

I've had it on my DVD wantlist for some time now although they do air it occasionally on TCM.

#6871 MissGoddess

MissGoddess

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,749 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 02:12 PM

ButterScotch Theresa! you are amazing---I know all those artists by name but I'm not too familiar with most of their songs! That's so cool. Guy Lombardo and Les Brown? Marvelous.

As you know I love the "American Songbook" -- all the pop standards by Cole Porter, Berlin, the Gershwins, Johnny Mercer and my favorites, Rodgers & Hart and Cy Coleman. No matter who sings them, but most of all when it's *Francis* who's behind the mike. After that I like Nat "King" Cole ("Mona Lisa", "Nature Boy", "Blue Gardenia" ;) ), Dean Martin, der Bingle, Ella Fitzgerald, Tony Bennett ("The Shadow of Your Smile", "I Want to be Around") and Doris Day ("It's Magic", "Sentimental Journey"). But those are pretty well known, you know more about the hard-core performers than I do that's for sure. I don't even know who Josh Groban and Lina Eder are!

#6872 butterscotchgreer

butterscotchgreer

Baby T

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,200 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 01:41 PM

loverly idea for a thread big sis!!!

i love all kinds of music, mostly from my old movies as well as you. heehee!!

i especially love the swingin' band leaders from the thirties and forties like. i just got a few records of harry james, who i looooove! and i have lots of glenn milller records, artie shaw, benny goodman, dizzy gillespie, guy lombardo, les brown, kay kyser, louis armstrong, paul whitman, and all the other extraordinary bands.

i love julie andrews, josh groban, dinah shore, lena horne, dinah washington, linda eder, celine dion, nat king cole, and people who sing like that, although i know they all have their own style. heehee!

#6873 MissGoddess

MissGoddess

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,749 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 01:39 PM

Hi Jeff!

The Betty Grable music sounds like fun, so do the Busby Berkely tunes. The kind of music to cheer one up.

I don't think I've ever heard of The Power.

#6874 Snorky

Snorky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 12:11 PM

Thanks for posting this thread, MissG.
It'll take a while for me to compile a list and be even harder to keep it brief...

Here's a starter list of mostly movie related music I've copied and pasted from a PM I sent to someone here:

Annette Hanshaw! I'd recommend the "It was So Beautiful" cd of her's simply because they've done some rudimentary noise filtering on that one if for no other reason.

Betty Grable - The **** Girl Vol. 1 -
all songs taken from movie soundtracks - unlike today the studios didn't want their stars making records etc. Volume 2's from later in her career and just doesn't have that same personality and perk or such classic tunes as earlier in her career during the height of her popularity.

Betty Grable - Sweethearts of the Silver Screen -
from Collector's Choice Music - songs taken from a rare radio broadcast or broadcasts.

Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers at RKO - 'nuff said.

Busby Berkeley at Warner Bros. - also from Rhino records -
great music from the early Busby Berkeley musicals.

Disc one from the Bing His Legendary years box set - his earlier music
thru 1936, I think - don't listen to this one much.

And a few soundtracks I can add right now:

"Forbidden Planet" Soundtrack - groundbreaking electronic sound effects music by Louis and Bebe Barron.

"The Power" Soundtrack by Mikl?s R?zsa, probably my all-time favorite soundtrack.

And of course The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

#6875 MissGoddess

MissGoddess

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,749 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 11:33 AM

Well, not quite---much of my own favorite music comes from the movies and mostly from classic era movies. But I'm curious what the rest of you like to listen to (which kind of music, what singers, bands, eras, etc.) and how and where do you listen most often? To paraphrase Addie Ross, Let the music play on...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users