We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Off Topic: Favorite Music?

• Please log in to reply
6925 replies to this topic

#6861 leobertucelli

leobertucelli

Advanced Member

• TCM_allow
  • PipPipPip
  • 969 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 07:40 PM

But I don't remember John Gay ever singing with the Gleason orchestra however, I may be wrong nevertheless both were so lyrical and oh so good to hear UNLIKE, all that junk today that's supposed to be music !

#6862 butterscotchgreer

butterscotchgreer

Baby T

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,200 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 05:14 PM

max steiner's movies(he composed music for many of gary's movies. heehee)

gone with the wind
the old maid
intermezzo
now voyager
adventures of don juan
all mine to give
the mcconnell story
the hanging tree
on moonlight bay

ill wake up with these scores in my head randomly sometimes.

#6863 Snorky

Snorky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 02:12 AM

>I got a cool present for my birthday last year.
>A turntable that will convert vinyl albums for itunes
>and allow you to make a CD. It also serves as a regular turntable.

Hi Chris,

I've seen those USB turntables - that was a new idea for me.
I'm a vinyl collector from way back but have always been hesitant to put much time into converting vinyl to digital for fear of a new or better way coming along.
My slacking paid off this time!
Since I own a decent turntable and after doing a little research I came up with
a digital converter box - the UA-1EX USB Audio Interface from Roland:

http://www.edirol.ne...ucts/en/UA-1EX/

It was around $70. It digitizes the analog signal from your phonograph outputs and
then plugs into the USB port on your computer. So that's another option out there.
Of course, I haven't got around to messing with it yet.

Slacking again...

Snorky

#6864 mysasha915

mysasha915

• TCM_allow
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 01:28 AM

I agree with you regarding John Gary and the Jackie Gleason Orchestra.
I am a lover of the older big bands and I listen to some of them every night
while I play Scrabble online.
First posting in quite some time.

#6865 JackFavell

JackFavell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,349 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 07:17 PM

ChiO- Was the Ernie Kovacs version from the first recording of "Die Dreigroschenoper" (Threepenny Opera) in 1930? If so it would maybe have been Kurt Gerron? I used to have this album (that dates me doesn't it?) but it must have got lost in a move.

#6866 MissGoddess

MissGoddess

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,749 posts
  • LocationHaleakaloha and Monument Valley

Posted 29 January 2008 - 06:49 PM

Cool! Thanks, ChiO for that background on the song. I knew it had had another title originally, but I didn't know about the "3 penny opera" connection. I've heard Satchmo's, Bobby's and Ella's versions and love them all. Maybe I like Bobby's the best, I think it was certainly his best song.

1-sophia-loren--150x150.jpg

#6867 ChiO

ChiO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 749 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 06:39 PM

I'm trying to think what song it is that Louis Armstrong sings where he mentions Lotte Lenya by name...I just heard it this morning and I've already forgotten the title.

I think you are trying to remeber "Mack The Knife."

Yep -- Good ol' Mackie Messer's back in town. It is "Moritat" originally, but "Mack the Knife", or "Theme from The Threepenny Opera", in English. Satchmo released his version in 1956 (#20 on the Billboard Pop Chart) and Bobby Darin (nee Walden Robert Cassotto) released his version with the same "Lotte Lenya" addition in 1959 (#1 for 9 weeks on the Billboard Pop Chart). Six other versions (Dick Hyman Trio, Richard Hayman & Jan August, Lawrence Welk, Billy Vaughn, Les Paul, & Ella Fitzgerald) hit the Top 100 between 1956 and 1960.

If Dewey is out there: Who sang the version that Ernie Kovacs used on his TV show?

#6868 MissGoddess

MissGoddess

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,749 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 05:39 PM

Oh, I see...everything's hooked up to the computer today.

#6869 movieman1957

movieman1957

Chris

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,581 posts
  • LocationAnnapolis MD

Posted 29 January 2008 - 05:10 PM

The turntable works through the computer. (I managed to leave that out if I wasn't clear.)

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana. 

G. Marx.

#6870 MissGoddess

MissGoddess

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,749 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 04:29 PM

Wow, I had no idea they had such a thing. That is something worth having....ummm, if I only had a stereo system. ;) I actually looked at some today at Best Buy and Circuit City---I was really looking at dvd recorders but I wandered into Hi-Fi land. I don't really have the room for a full on system. So I guess I just have to be satisfied with either listening on my computer, boom box or dvd player.

#6871 movieman1957

movieman1957

Chris

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,581 posts
  • LocationAnnapolis MD

Posted 29 January 2008 - 04:24 PM

>I'm trying to think what song it is that Louis Armstrong sings where he mentions Lotte Lenya by name...I just heard it this morning and I've already forgotten the title.

I think you are trying to remeber "Mack The Knife."

I got a cool present for my birthday last year. A turntable that will convert vinyl albums for itunes and allow you to make a CD. It also serves as a regular turntable. (Even regular turntables aren't that expensive. Assuming you have the system to hook it up to.) It's been fun and it's great for those albums I have I know will never make it to CD.

G. Marx.

#6872 butterscotchgreer

butterscotchgreer

Baby T

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,200 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 03:45 PM

i used to put honey in my tea but then i discovered cream. heehee! i havent tried them together. hmmm. maybve i should do that tonight and see if i like it that way. i mainly just put cream in my tea. no sugar or anything else. heehee! oh i could never get tea'd out. i love it too much, but ill put a word into the bees for you to go overtime. heehee!

#6873 MissGoddess

MissGoddess

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,749 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 03:43 PM

I'm trying to think what song it is that Louis Armstrong sings where he mentions Lotte Lenya by name...I just heard it this morning and I've already forgotten the title.

Hi fidelity enthusiasts always tell me vinyl sounds the best. I only own two vinyl LPs that I bought at a vintage shop in London. They are both Sinatra albums. But unfortunately I don't own a record player so I've never listened to them (I have one on cd).

#6874 ChiO

ChiO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 749 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 03:36 PM

Lotte Lenya recorded "September Song"? Wow. I love that song.

It's on a 2-disc (that's "vinyl", not "CD") set called The Lotte Lenya Album: The Berlin and American Theater Songs of Kurt Weill. I just checked on Amazon and it has it on CD "New and Used, From $49.99". Maybe my vinyl is worth something. I'd like to say that I inherited it from my Grandfather, but I bought it when it was released (just like I got 45's in the '50s).

Although I enjoy film music in the context of the film, I've never been enamored with listening to instrumental soundtracks. In fact, I think I own only one (which I love and, yes, it is on vinyl): Last Tango in Paris by Gato Barbieri. There are three versions of the theme -- a tango, a ballad, and a waltz -- and each is lovelier than the other.

#6875 MissGoddess

MissGoddess

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,749 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 01:53 PM

Hi Chris---I never heard of John Gray. I love Gleason's theme music to The Honeymooners, which shows how talented he was musically. He was a remarkable man, I am sure he could do anything and do it well. I love the guy. He's the only reason I will watch The Hustler.

#6876 movieman1957

movieman1957

Chris

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,581 posts
  • LocationAnnapolis MD

Posted 29 January 2008 - 01:40 PM

My enjoyment of Sinatra tends to depend on the song. My parents had a couple of his albums. The "Trilogy" (?) and the one with "It Was A Very Good Year." We have one of his Christmas albums and he sounds asleep through most of it. But he had a great voice. My daughter gave my wife and I a Sinatra CD set for Christmas. My bride likes him more than I but I certainly appreciate his talent.

In that style of music my favorites are Andy Williams, Johnny Mathis and John Gary. Many people don't know Gary but his voice was so pure. He could be gentle and hold a note long after most mortals would have passed out. It's great so much of this music is being released again.

Many people may not know that Jackie Gleason had an orchestra he recorded with and they had such a lush and romantic sound. They had a great sound.

G. Marx.

#6877 MissGoddess

MissGoddess

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,749 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 01:32 PM

You too? I'm all Tea'd out. :P But it helps my cough. The bees will have to work overtime making enough honey to keep me supplied. "Busy little bee, busy making honey..."

#6878 MissGoddess

MissGoddess

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,749 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 01:21 PM

I wish I had more time to listen to music, too. I have the internet radio going at work but it's mainly just low volume "background" and not condusive to real enjoyment. (Except when Francis comes on ---then the volume goes UP, UP, UP!) I almost never listen to music at home and the only other opportunity is when I'm out and about with my headphones & mp3 player. The BEST times for listening to music for me were back in California when I used to play all my cds in the car during those long drives. I still miss that. Now I only get to drive when I travel to Europe and rent a car.

My father had (I'm sure he still has) Revolver, too---I remember the album art scared me as a kid. He had all the Beatles albums and alot more. They were the band of his generation, his life, he said once. He liked 1950s rock-n-roll, too, except for Elvis. He was never a fan of him. I used to love 50s rock-n-roll and I still think it's good and I love the 60s rock-n-roll songs they have on the *Dirty Dancing* soundtrack, but I prefer the standards overall. Do you like Sinatra?

#6879 butterscotchgreer

butterscotchgreer

Baby T

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,200 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 01:15 PM

oh you like jo stafford too!!! me and angie love listening to her!! i am getting her greatest hits, i cant wait. i know practically all of her stuff, well maybe i havent heard one or two. heehee!

well at least im not the only one eating too much soup! oy! heehee!

im there wityh ya april, yesterday i had just about the same amount of cups of tea too. tea always makes me feel better. i am spending all my money on tea today too at school. heehee! i have had like two giant cups full of chai tea. i am gonna get a third one too. i guess the tea party will have to wait until we arent contagious anymore huh? that might be the sensible thing to do! heehee!

#6880 movieman1957

movieman1957

Chris

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,581 posts
  • LocationAnnapolis MD

Posted 29 January 2008 - 01:03 PM

April:

My mother introduced me to it. She is a very good pianist. (Comparatively, I'm mediocre.) She had many music books that had classical pieces in it. I would try and play them. This was mostly unsuccessful.

She also had a recording of Beethoven's 5th Symphony. I listened to that. Logic telling me Beethoven had at least four other symphonies drove me to the library and the local PBS radio station. Then I found all kinds of composers. One of the things my wife liked about me was introducing her to classical music. She's a casual fan. I wish I had more time to listen to it.

Sounds like your father and I would get along too. ("Revolver" is my favorite Beatles album.)

G. Marx.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users