We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Off Topic: Favorite Music?

• Please log in to reply
6925 replies to this topic

#6921 Snorky

Snorky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 02:39 PM

>The Betty Grable music sounds like fun, so do the Busby Berkely tunes.
>The kind of music to cheer one up.

Hi April!

That reminded me, I forgot to mention "The Carl Stalling Project" CD which has some of the "Looney Tunes" soundtrack music. It's been a while since I've listened to that.

Actually it was the Warner Bros. pit orchestra who did both the Busby Berkeley and the Looney Tunes music, if I'm not mistaken.

>I don't think I've ever heard of The Power.

The Power (1968) is directed by George Pal and stars George Hamilton & Suzanne Pleshette.

The movie looks and sounds great - boasting a modern 60's style and a haunting, unforgettable soundtrack by Mikl?s R?zsa.

It still seems to be available from Collector's Choice Music as
"Atlantis: The Lost Continent/ The Power".

http://www.ccmusic.c...temid=FSM080022

It's taken from the original sountrack album master. Unfortunately that's all that survives of the original soundtrack.

I've had it on my DVD wantlist for some time now although they do air it occasionally on TCM.

Message was edited by: Snorky

#6922 MissGoddess

MissGoddess

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,749 posts
  • LocationHaleakaloha and Monument Valley

Posted 25 January 2008 - 02:12 PM

ButterScotch Theresa! you are amazing---I know all those artists by name but I'm not too familiar with most of their songs! That's so cool. Guy Lombardo and Les Brown? Marvelous.

As you know I love the "American Songbook" -- all the pop standards by Cole Porter, Berlin, the Gershwins, Johnny Mercer and my favorites, Rodgers & Hart and Cy Coleman. No matter who sings them, but most of all when it's *Francis* who's behind the mike. After that I like Nat "King" Cole ("Mona Lisa", "Nature Boy", "Blue Gardenia" ;) ), Dean Martin, der Bingle, Ella Fitzgerald, Tony Bennett ("The Shadow of Your Smile", "I Want to be Around") and Doris Day ("It's Magic", "Sentimental Journey"). But those are pretty well known, you know more about the hard-core performers than I do that's for sure. I don't even know who Josh Groban and Lina Eder are!

1-sophia-loren--150x150.jpg

#6923 butterscotchgreer

butterscotchgreer

Baby T

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,200 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 01:41 PM

loverly idea for a thread big sis!!!

i love all kinds of music, mostly from my old movies as well as you. heehee!!

i especially love the swingin' band leaders from the thirties and forties like. i just got a few records of harry james, who i looooove! and i have lots of glenn milller records, artie shaw, benny goodman, dizzy gillespie, guy lombardo, les brown, kay kyser, louis armstrong, paul whitman, and all the other extraordinary bands.

i love julie andrews, josh groban, dinah shore, lena horne, dinah washington, linda eder, celine dion, nat king cole, and people who sing like that, although i know they all have their own style. heehee!

#6924 MissGoddess

MissGoddess

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,749 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 01:39 PM

Hi Jeff!

The Betty Grable music sounds like fun, so do the Busby Berkely tunes. The kind of music to cheer one up.

I don't think I've ever heard of The Power.

#6925 Snorky

Snorky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 12:11 PM

Thanks for posting this thread, MissG.
It'll take a while for me to compile a list and be even harder to keep it brief...

Here's a starter list of mostly movie related music I've copied and pasted from a PM I sent to someone here:

Annette Hanshaw! I'd recommend the "It was So Beautiful" cd of her's simply because they've done some rudimentary noise filtering on that one if for no other reason.

Betty Grable - The **** Girl Vol. 1 -
all songs taken from movie soundtracks - unlike today the studios didn't want their stars making records etc. Volume 2's from later in her career and just doesn't have that same personality and perk or such classic tunes as earlier in her career during the height of her popularity.

Betty Grable - Sweethearts of the Silver Screen -
from Collector's Choice Music - songs taken from a rare radio broadcast or broadcasts.

Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers at RKO - 'nuff said.

Busby Berkeley at Warner Bros. - also from Rhino records -
great music from the early Busby Berkeley musicals.

Disc one from the Bing His Legendary years box set - his earlier music
thru 1936, I think - don't listen to this one much.

And a few soundtracks I can add right now:

"Forbidden Planet" Soundtrack - groundbreaking electronic sound effects music by Louis and Bebe Barron.

"The Power" Soundtrack by Mikl?s R?zsa, probably my all-time favorite soundtrack.

And of course The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

#6926 MissGoddess

MissGoddess

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,749 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 11:33 AM

Well, not quite---much of my own favorite music comes from the movies and mostly from classic era movies. But I'm curious what the rest of you like to listen to (which kind of music, what singers, bands, eras, etc.) and how and where do you listen most often? To paraphrase Addie Ross, Let the music play on...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users