We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

The Annual FrankGrimes Torture Thread

• Please log in to reply
12958 replies to this topic

#1 rohanaka

rohanaka

Ro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,811 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 21 September 2017 - 10:54 PM

Well hurry up and get back on that horse, already. (so we can think up some cleverly devised plans to knock you off again)  :P

KIDDING!!! just kidding. :)

Very happy to see your name on this board again,  sir. :)  

#2 FrankGrimes

FrankGrimes

Scott

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,865 posts
  • LocationHarrisburg, PA

Posted 19 September 2017 - 04:01 PM

Thank you, Quiet Gal and Bronxilla!  I know I'm quite late in replying but I've been slow to get back on the horse.

#3 Bronxgirl48

Bronxgirl48

Bronxie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,589 posts
  • LocationThe French Riviera (in my dreams)

Posted 24 August 2017 - 08:42 PM

Frank, my friend, my friend!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

!https://www.youtube....h?v=sLEFNtcD2Hg

#4 rohanaka

rohanaka

Ro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,811 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 11:31 AM

HAPPY Birthday, Mr. Grey!!  A salisbury steak cake has been baked in your honor....  But I ate it.  :P

(OK, not really. Actually, photobucket won't let me post it for some reason.. .. ha. So for NOW , I guess you'll just have to make do with your left over sawdust and saurkraut!! ha!!)   :D

Hope you have a great birthday, sir. :)

PS.. this is like the gazillionth time I have edited this post.. I  even had a great picture and everything.. and then I tried to post it as usual.. and everything went wrong. (technophobia can be such a debilitating condition sometimes) :D 

Now have salisbury steak on the brain...  I may need to go cook something... with gravy.    :D

https://www.cscasset...large_25529.jpg

#5 rohanaka

rohanaka

Ro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,811 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 04:32 PM

OH for pizza sake!!! That is a boatload of snow and then some!!! Take good care and I promise not to whine about any weather related inconveniences for a solid MONTH after reading that. My goodness me. I remember last time you guys got pounded you tried to shovel it away all at once. Take  your time and pace yourself. Don't over do it.  Meanwhile I hope you are all stocked up on the essentials.. and are set up with a warm pot of your corn chowder soup or something to hold you over... I know.. I know I SHOULD be joking about you needing more saur kraut or something.. but oh me. That is too much snow to joke around about!! Take good care out there, sir. 

#6 FrankGrimes

FrankGrimes

Scott

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,865 posts
  • LocationHarrisburg, PA

Posted 15 March 2017 - 12:59 PM

Yesterday was not a fun day. Lots of snow removal. We ended up getting about 19 inches. It's the second highest snow total for Harrisburg in the month of March.

#7 rohanaka

rohanaka

Ro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,811 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 01:02 AM

Hey there, Grey Dude. 

Hope you and all the Eastern folks are doing ok out there in the snow!! Woo.. sounds like some areas out your way are really getting pounded. Bundle up, batten down the hatches, dig in, hunker down. You know... Stuff like that. :D  

Meanwhile, let me know if you run out of supplies. I can have some Sawdust and SaurKraut shipped in for you right away!! :P   

All kidding aside.  DO take good care, you and everyone else out there!! Stay safe, everybody!!! 

#8 rohanaka

rohanaka

Ro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,811 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 06:55 PM

I thought I'd just post what I've watched lately, here.

WOO Grey Dude.. even MORE movies than the ones we've already been chatting up over yonder in Rambles. You have been busy, busy, BUSY!!

You have almost completely missed me in the ones on this list. I can only just comment on a very few. 

Ski Party (1965) -- I quite enjoyed this surreal mix of Some Like It Hot with Dobie Gillis plus James Brown and the Famous Flames. Loved Annette Funicello's "cameo".  Plus there's Batgirl!

I can't say I have watched this.. but I MIGHT have.. ha. Is this one made with the same old beach movie formula.. only with snow??  (Oh.. if so, let's hope they are better dressed then. TOO cold to be running around in bikinis) I saw a bazillion of these when I was a kid. (pretty much the same story over and over... just different actors./. well different actors, all except for the beach kids.. or snow kids.. whatever the case may be. ha) Can't say they would be at the top of my list (but I do confess probably liking them way back when) 

Airport (1970) -- I've been wanting to watch this "franchise" of films for a little while.  It's certainly difficult not to think of Airplane! while watching this, but I was able to enjoy it despite that.  Van Heflin?!  Who knew?!  Jean Seberg is lovely, I must say.  Dean Martin turns in the best performance, to me.  He's really becoming a favorite of mine.  And Helen Hayes pretty much steals the picture

Not too big a fan overall.. I like the AirPLANE movies better. ha. (Don't call me Shirley) I saw this one years and years (and YEARS) ago.. but not before I saw Airport 75. THAT is the one I saw first. In fact, it was the first movie I ever remember seeing that was rated PG. (if I recall correctly) Woo.. I thought I was SO grown up. ha. :D  

(oh.. and PS: I am not too big a fan for Dean.. but he can do a very good job acting now and then, depending on the movie. My favorite for him is likely Rio Bravo, I think. Oh.. and yes, I agree, based on what I remember about Airport.. Helen Hayes DID steal the show.. she was quite spunky, as I remember)

Yentl (1983) -- Much better than I anticipated. 

Well.. as BAD as I hate to admit it.. I did enjoy this film (overall) It has been a VERY long time since I saw it (probably over 25 years) and I am no sort of Babs fan at all. But as I recall,  I did like the story (like you... better than expected) and I thought the best parts were with Amy Irving. I really like how her part of the story began to play out, eventually. 

I only have 45 more films to list.  Sigh.  But I'll start with these

OH for pizza sake.. ha. There is NO way I could even imagine keeping up with that many films all at once. So many movies, so little time!! You are a movie watching maniac. ha. (but I mean that in a good way) :) 

#9 movieman1957

movieman1957

Chris

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,581 posts
  • LocationAnnapolis MD

Posted 04 March 2017 - 08:28 PM

Scott, my friend. It is good to see you and anything you post. Nice to see friends talking about movies. I hope you are well.

Haven't seen too many on your list. And the few I have I think I saw during the Reagan administration. "It Happens Every Spring" I remember being fun and very un Ray Milland like. "Angels In The Outfield" is even more fun. I really like Paul Douglas. I saw "Airport" back when in the 70's. It was a big deal. You are right about Martin. He can surprise you with his work in dramas. Good cast.

Keep it up. It gives me a reason to check in.

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana. 

G. Marx.

#10 FrankGrimes

FrankGrimes

Scott

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,865 posts
  • LocationHarrisburg, PA

Posted 03 March 2017 - 01:24 AM

I will suggest that you watch: Rhubarb (1951) because it also has Ray Milland and concerns baseball.

Darnit!  I don't have that one recorded and I don't see it on YouTube.  The DVD is way too pricey to buy, too.  I shall keep an eye out for it.  Thank you for the suggestion, SansFin.

#11 SansFin

SansFin

U. S. Citizen

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,040 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 11:48 PM

Angels in the Outfield (1951) 

My first thought when I began to read this was that I should recommend: It Happens Every Spring (1949). I am happy to see that you watched it also. I will suggest that you watch: Rhubarb (1951) because it also has Ray Milland and concerns baseball. 

My Avatar: Little girl ghost from "義足のMoses"

Warning: I can be very condescending. (That means I talk down to people.)

#12 FrankGrimes

FrankGrimes

Scott

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,865 posts
  • LocationHarrisburg, PA

Posted 02 March 2017 - 09:58 PM

Instead of hogging the "Rambles" thread, I thought I'd just post what I've watched lately, here.

Ski Party (1965) -- I quite enjoyed this surreal mix of Some Like It Hot with Dobie Gillis plus James Brown and the Famous Flames. Loved Annette Funicello's "cameo".  Plus there's Batgirl!

Angels in the Outfield (1951) -- I felt like watching some baseball flicks with spring training going on.  Also, I always liked that DianaBat used to watch baseball films when baseball was starting.  So some board nostalgia for me.  This is a sweet picture.  Paul Douglas excels in these kind of roles; the lovable lug.  I'm also a Pittsburgh Pirates fan, so I loved seeing Forbes Field and some of the former players in quick shots, such as Ralph Kiner.

Airport (1970) -- I've been wanting to watch this "franchise" of films for a little while.  It's certainly difficult not to think of Airplane! while watching this, but I was able to enjoy it despite that.  Van Heflin?!  Who knew?!  Jean Seberg is lovely, I must say.  Dean Martin turns in the best performance, to me.  He's really becoming a favorite of mine.  And Helen Hayes pretty much steals the picture.

It Happens Every Spring (1949) -- Another baseball film.  This time it's baseball's "Flubber".  Ray Milland, a scientific professor, accidentally develops a substance that repels wood.  So just rub a little on a baseball and you've got an unhittable pitcher.  And so he does and so he does.  Milland ends up pitching for his favorite team, the St. Louis Cardinals.  Paul Douglas plays Ray's battery mate.  It's another cute flick.

The Barbarian (1933) -- Talk about a mix of emotions.  Myrna Loy plays a fiancee who visits her husband-to-be in exotic Cairo.  There she encounters a persistent Ramon Novarro, who is a prince in disguise.  Ramon quickly falls for the snobby Myrna.  Who wouldn't?!  From there it becomes a strange mix of womanly desires and manly desires.  There are actions that are dicey.  And moments of great eroticism.  Myrna seems to be in a transitional stage of vamp to perfect wife.

Rome Adventure (1962) -- An underwhelming film that serves more as a travel brochure for Rome.  At least it's a beautiful place to see.  I did like seeing Suzanne Pleshette in the role of the "wooed woman".  But she does stay grounded.  Angie Dickinson plays the unlikable wife of Troy Donahue.  And Troy is Troy.  I liked seeing and hearing Al Hirt.

Stolen Holiday (1937) - A very strange film with the strange pairing of Claude Rains and Kay Francis.  Claude, a shady businessman, convinces Kay to trust him and his ways.  This leads to a fashion business for Kay.  Eventually, the light shines on the shady and this leads to a stunning finish to this film.  The film is such an oddball concoction of crime syndicate and fashion show.  It didn't work for me.

Yentl (1983) -- Much better than I anticipated.  While I'm a fan of Barbra, I wasn't sure I'd go for this kind of story.  But it's good.  Barbra must disguise herself as a boy to pursue her passion of higher learning and intelligent discourse, for a woman is to only raise a family and tend the home.  "Her" journey leads to the love of a man (Mandy Patinkin), who views Yentl as a fellow male student.  This creates some interesting scenarios.  Even more scenarios arise when Amy Irving enters the picture.

The White Tower (1950) -- A film about mountain climbing in the Swiss Alps sounded compelling to me.  Plus there's Glenn Ford in the lead.  Well, it falls short of expectations, despite some good photography.  The film is basically a story about lingering WWII feelings, which comes to the fore as the climb progresses.  The cast is impressive.  Ford, Claude Rains, Alida Valli, Lloyd Bridges, Oskar Homolka, and Cedric Hardwicke all go on the climb.  The problem is the story is left at the lodge.

The Sins of Rachel Cade (1961) -- The sequel to The Nun's Story?  It felt like it.  Peter Finch stars in both and plays similar characters.  Instead of Audrey Hepburn, we get Angie Dickinson.  Angie plays a missionary nurse.  Immediately, Peter and Angie have discussions that are reminiscent of mine with Miss G. :D  There's a major twist in the film that really won me over.  And 007 (Roger Moore) is behind it.  The "locals" are full of favorites of mine, but also a sign of the times.  Woody Strode, Juano Hernandez, Scatman Crothers, and track star, Rafer Johnson, all play a role.  Mostly good roles, too.

I only have 45 more films to list.  Sigh.  But I'll start with these.

• rohanaka likes this

#13 laffite

laffite

Oh Johnneeeeee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,725 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 17 October 2016 - 02:38 AM

How nice to see this thread again! I thought we had all retired! :)

I miss all of you guys.

Oh and Grimes, happy way belated birthday wishes to you my friend.

Maybe it's time to dig up your lists again. I owe you some comments!

Hope everyone is dong well.

Same to you, Molo.

Curious, what did you think of "Cromwell" the later version, I can't remember the actor but he thrilled me not. I couldn't get through it but I have vowed (which doesn't mean anything) to give it another shot. The teleplay is of a nature quite different than the Six Wives series and I couldn't warm up to it.

#14 molo14

molo14

MadHat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,847 posts
  • LocationChumley's Rest

Posted 06 October 2016 - 06:30 AM

How nice to see this thread again! I thought we had all retired! :)

I miss all of you guys.

Oh and Grimes, happy way belated birthday wishes to you my friend.

Maybe it's time to dig up your lists again. I owe you some comments!

Hope everyone is dong well.

#15 laffite

laffite

Oh Johnneeeeee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,725 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 29 September 2016 - 01:14 AM

!Jean-Lafitte-Historical-Marker-5.jpg

Gosh, I sail way too infrequently to these parts, here is news of my very own city. Okay, well, they named after me anyway. Yep, those area bayous are all right ... sort a. I still like my gold-plated epees forged in breathtakingly exotic venues (but I don't think I'll tell the Mayor, heh heh.)

Ya know, I picked up on that Talk Like a Pirate Day and went to those sites that translate all the boring normal ways of talking to the scintillating ways of the Swashies but they were so dull. Only a real pirate knows, like me for instance, the real vocabulary on the main (some say it's rather untoward) but I will defer for the moment since even though I'm meanest pirate ever known and can speak daggers (gold plated) faster than I can throw them I'm also a closet gentleman and I don't want the men to discover that I'm nice.

Merci bien pour les images interessantes.

Cheers to you and your mom.

:)

#16 Bronxgirl48

Bronxgirl48

Bronxie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,589 posts

Posted 19 September 2016 - 12:48 PM

!Jean-Lafitte-Historical-Marker-5.jpg

#17 Bronxgirl48

Bronxgirl48

Bronxie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,589 posts

Posted 19 September 2016 - 12:29 PM

lafitte, mon ami, all I can say right now for your generous complimentary spirit towards me is that it's September 19th, Talk Like A Pirate Day (really!)

!Captain-Long-John-Silver.jpeg

#18 movieman1957

movieman1957

Chris

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,581 posts
  • LocationAnnapolis MD

Posted 17 September 2016 - 08:51 AM

Hahaha!  Yeah, I'm chasing ghosts and running from them at the same time!  That's a perfect picture of me and my birthday!  Thank you, Quiet Gal and Barbarella.

I need to find my way back here.  Someway, somehow.

Hi!!

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana. 

G. Marx.

#19 rohanaka

rohanaka

Ro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,811 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 09:18 PM

Hello Laffite, 

Glad you found the sherbet to your liking. It does hit the spot on these warm late summer (not quite fall) sort of days. :) 

I notice you make a periodical visit to CAPTIONS in Games&Trivia. Nice to see you there. 

Occasionally I will pop in there to see what the latest picture is though I don't always have a "quick comeback" to add, it is fun to see what folks come up with. Every now and then I will add my own "smart mouth comment" ha,  but I must be getting old. My smart mouth doesn't crack wise as often as it used to these days. :) 

We should all watch an agreed upon movie and have a discussion/firefight over it. Sort of like a Reunion des Rambleurs. How about In a Lonely Place? No? Agreed. I tried to watch it recently and went into full-fledged PTSD. I'm still shaking.

Ha.. yes. that was one Rumble.. I mean Ramble for the record books, wasn't it?? Oh boy.. wouldn't that be fun. :) 

Hope all is well ..

Thanks, Pirate Dude.. you too. :) 

#20 laffite

laffite

Oh Johnneeeeee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,725 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 08 September 2016 - 01:36 AM

Hello Laffite. 

I haven't been doing much cyber-cooking of late.. too hot in August to fire up the stove! But I WAS rummaging around through the freezer last night (looking for a frozen rope to help motivate the Grey Dude to come back out of the shadows and start posting again!) And while I was looking in there,  I DID happen to see some left over sherbet way back in the corner.. so cool and refreshing, and just enough for a lovely snack!!  Enjoy!! 

sorbet_zps7ece4ce3.jpg

Hello Ro !

Gosh, I'm lucky, you put these out a week ago and they haven't even melted yet. So I don't need to tell you that I scarfed them post haste and they were sincerely delicieux. Okay, they might have been a little soft but I like it that way, more flavor. Last week my fearsome vessel was on the high sea and we just happened to loot a Ben&Jerry cargo ship and we looted it clean and feasted most heartily. But none of it compares with your stuff, though it only be of cyber quality, still the best.

I notice you make a periodical visit to CAPTIONS in Games&Trivia. Nice to see you there. They've posted a new one, you might have a look. I just posted there and it is one of the worst captions ever. I keep breaking my own record for unfunniness.

We should all watch an agreed upon movie and have a discussion/firefight over it. Sort of like a Reunion des Rambleurs. How about In a Lonely Place? No? Agreed. I tried to watch it recently and went into full-fledged PTSD. I'm still shaking.

Hope all is well ...

:)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users