We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

The Annual FrankGrimes Torture Thread

• Please log in to reply
12954 replies to this topic

#21 rohanaka

rohanaka

Ro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,794 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 31 August 2016 - 12:59 PM

Hello Laffite. 

I haven't been doing much cyber-cooking of late.. too hot in August to fire up the stove! But I WAS rummaging around through the freezer last night (looking for a frozen rope to help motivate the Grey Dude to come back out of the shadows and start posting again!) And while I was looking in there,  I DID happen to see some left over sherbet way back in the corner.. so cool and refreshing, and just enough for a lovely snack!!  Enjoy!! 

sorbet_zps7ece4ce3.jpg

• Bronxgirl48 likes this

#22 Bronxgirl48

Bronxgirl48

Bronxie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,564 posts
  • LocationThe French Riviera (in my dreams)

Posted 31 August 2016 - 12:44 PM

lafitte - hello, matey!  How wonderful to see you!  Thanks for the kind words.  I miss the Ramblers, too.  All of us go through peaks and valleys but isn't it nice to know we still value our friendships here.  Life Happens (gee, how banal of me, lol) but our gang will always survive and thrive.

I was thinking myself of giving the Bronxie Mom thread a little "boost" as it were, a revival of sorts.   You know how much I love those city tours, lol, thank you, me hearty!  The London double-decker virtual bus tour is (hopefully) still on my thread.  Feel free to post others!

Thanks, Mom is doing as well as can be expected. At 95, she's not as sharp as she once was but occasionally she'll be clear as a bell and razor-sharp.  She was having trouble with the remote control as I was on the phone to her and she said "I don't see Nathan Detroit or Sky Masterson!"  GUYS AND DOLLS was playing but she had on some used car commercial.

When Mom finally was able to get TCM back she was thrilled.  "Oh, look!  I didn't know Marlon Brando could sing!"

#23 laffite

laffite

Oh Johnneeeeee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,127 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 30 August 2016 - 11:56 PM

Hi Scott

I'm so lame. You're birthday was listed on The Birthday Thread in Film and Filmmakers and I posted a Happy Birthday to you. Why didn't I think to come over here and do that.

Happy Birthday, Scott !

Barb I miss your thread and have been thinking of something to post there to lure you back. The first thing that came to mind was perhaps one of these cab tours along famous city streets. You love that. I hope your mom is okay.

Ro, I miss your cyber dishes that you used to post, yum. You are the best at that here on the Board.

Miss all the Ramblers!

Cheers

Jean Laffite

• Bronxgirl48 likes this

#24 rohanaka

rohanaka

Ro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,794 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 11:20 PM

That's a perfect picture of me and my birthday!  

Ha... well I hope it was a happy one for you sir, no matter WHAT mess  you found yourself getting into. :D 

Meanwhile.... 

I need to find my way back here.  Someway, somehow.

IF only!!! I'd say you are LONG overdue!! Here, let me give you a little motivation to POINT you in the right direction!! :P

mccl2.jpg

• Bronxgirl48 likes this

#25 FrankGrimes

FrankGrimes

Scott

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,860 posts
  • LocationHarrisburg, PA

Posted 30 August 2016 - 09:45 PM

Hahaha!  Yeah, I'm chasing ghosts and running from them at the same time!  That's a perfect picture of me and my birthday!  Thank you, Quiet Gal and Barbarella.

I need to find my way back here.  Someway, somehow.

• Bronxgirl48 and rohanaka like this

#26 Bronxgirl48

Bronxgirl48

Bronxie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,564 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 04:20 AM

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, SCOTTIE!

May all your dreams come true!

!laura184418c2f5b1mt41.jpg

#27 Bronxgirl48

Bronxgirl48

Bronxie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,564 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 04:11 AM

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, SCOTTIE!

!tumblr_ltsghguj3N1qmemvwo1_500.jpg

#28 rohanaka

rohanaka

Ro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,794 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 07:34 PM

Cough, cough.. sputter.. gasp.. cough. 

Excuse me while I blow a little dust off of this thread just to say HAPPY Birthday, Harry Fabian.. I mean Grey Dude!! :P

I hope you have had a great day and hey.. maybe you'll even get a chance to go out for a fun night on the town with some friends!! :D

harry_zpsdf8b1a1e.jpg

All kidding aside.. hope your b-day was a happy one, sir!! :)

#29 rohanaka

rohanaka

Ro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,794 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 01:25 PM

Sorry to hear about the back Mr, Movieman. You guys out east have really had it rough. Hope you are feeling much better very soon. Take it easy if you can,  and stay safe, everybody. 

#30 movieman1957

movieman1957

Chris

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,580 posts
  • LocationAnnapolis MD

Posted 25 January 2016 - 10:16 AM

29 inches here. The good thing about it is we didn't get the bad winds that were expected. (Ocean City, MD did get some wind damage though.) Also, the snow was more of a powder type than the heavy wet kind.

Waiting on a plow. It is all of 11 degrees. Had a friend use his snowblower but The Bride keeps his kids so it was a win/win for us both. Still managed to tweak my back.

Is it April yet? 

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana. 

G. Marx.

#31 rohanaka

rohanaka

Ro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,794 posts

Posted 24 January 2016 - 03:16 PM

Take good care out there, Madhat. Slow and steady on the snow shoveling, if you please. A few feet here, a few feet there.. and eventually you'll get there.

Woo... Remind me not to complain about anything "winter" related ever again. ha. :D  

My golly.. Compared to you guys we might as well be Florida around here. (ha.. ok.. that might be stretch. We HAVE had a touch of winter, but nothing like the mess  your are in. We've had some single digit temps and some icy roads with just a hint of snow, over the last week or so overall.. but still. That is NOTHING like what you all have been through) Wowsa. 

Think Spring, everybody!! Take care!  

#32 molo14

molo14

MadHat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,844 posts
  • LocationChumley's Rest

Posted 24 January 2016 - 09:39 AM

Hey there everyone,

Frank I knew you all were really getting it up there. We got about 16 inches here. It was a remarkable storm. It stated snowing here around 9:30am Friday and except for a brief period of sleet, it didn't stop snowing until sometime after midnight very early Sunday morning. So it lasted a long time! Since it was all mostly powdery snow we never lost power.

Now what to do with it all? This stuff isn't going to melt away anytime soon. I was really amazed by the drifts. Really high in some places. We also have these huge piles hanging over the roof.

I'll start digging out today. I have to pace myself. :)  

#33 rohanaka

rohanaka

Ro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,794 posts

Posted 23 January 2016 - 08:59 PM

It was a record snowfall for us.

GOOD grief, man!! Some records should remain unbroken!!! Wowsa, that's a boatload of snow. Take good care!! Stay safe, and batten down those hatches!!

Golly.. I hope you don't run out of sauerkraut and sawdust!! You don't want to run out of food and have to make a run to the store.. or the saw mill... in weather like THAT!! :P

All kidding aside.. do take care, sir. Hope it is over soon!! Bundle up!! 

#34 SansFin

SansFin

U. S. Citizen

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,846 posts

Posted 23 January 2016 - 07:23 PM

It was a record snowfall for us. We hit 29 inches of snow. The old record was 25. We were expecting 8-12.

It has been said that snow is like sex - you do not know how many inches you will receive nor how long it will last.

We have had total accumulation of approx. twelve inches from snows during the nights of Tuesday, Thursday and Friday. This is the most snow since I have been here. It is humorous to see how a little snow panics people here and the city shuts down. I drove around Friday simply because it was so unusual to have so little traffic. I could not do my expected errands because banks, grocery stores and the post office were all closed as well as the schools and most businesses. 

My Avatar: Little girl ghost from "義足のMoses"

Russian nesting dolls are full of themselves.

#35 FrankGrimes

FrankGrimes

Scott

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,860 posts
  • LocationHarrisburg, PA

Posted 23 January 2016 - 06:58 PM

Thanks, Bronxie. It was a record snowfall for us. We hit 29 inches of snow. The old record was 25. We were expecting 8-12.

#36 Bronxgirl48

Bronxgirl48

Bronxie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,564 posts

Posted 23 January 2016 - 04:10 PM

Stay safe and warm, East Coasters!

!standoubleindem.jpg?t=1193777803

#37 rohanaka

rohanaka

Ro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,794 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 06:07 PM

What??? A list-less list??? :D

Great idea! I love reading your comments so that is a welcome sight! But again, you are missing me all the way around for being able to chat or comment much.  I still haven't seen too many (even for such a short batch of films)

The only one I have seen at all is this one:  Love Story (1970) 

About which I can only comment.. I CANNOT believe you watched this movie. WHERE is Frank Grimes and what have you done with him?????? ha. But more importantly than THAT.. the only other thing I could say is

-- Ahhhhh, continuing with the happiness of love.  Yet another sappy, "feel good" romance.

HA! You say "Ahhhh" I say AGGGGGHHH!! This movie is.. um.. so not me. ha. :rolleyes: 

The only thing harder to believe than YOU watching it and liking it would be ME watching it and liking it. ha. (I have watched..  but not recently. I think once when I was pretty young (the kidling's age maybe) and then once again, maybe in my 20's. I can't ever say I really LIKED it though.) I don't hate it.. just not my kinda story, I guess.  I don't even think it has anything to do with the "happy" (ha.. by your standards!!) ending.  More likely I just did not feel any real connection to either of the characters. Don't know if it is the actors who play them.. or just me being apathetic. But for whatever reason, I can't get too attached. But I do agree with you about her big mouth and they way she challenges him both being a couple of the redeeming factors. But overall still not enough to make me care too much about either of them.  Maybe I should try again, after all these years, I might see it differently, but just don't seem to think I will. 

(I know.. how horrible of me.. I should turn in my classic movie watching membership card NOW!) ha. :D 

But I'm glad YOU liked it. :D

OH.. and PS: I forgot to mention one more thing about your comment at the beginning.. 

Frank Grimes says: I have finally "wised up".  

To which Rohanaka replies (in her best "Duke" voice) and with much eye rolling.. 

searchers14.jpg

• film lover 293 likes this

#38 fxreyman

fxreyman

I never shot nobody I didn't have to.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,782 posts
  • LocationLibertyville, Illinois

Posted 04 January 2016 - 12:01 PM

I have finally "wised up".  Instead of posting lists of what I've watched, I'm gonna just write as I go.  If anyone wants to discuss any film, please do so

That the best idea you have had in ages....

Happy 2016!!!

#39 FrankGrimes

FrankGrimes

Scott

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,860 posts
  • LocationHarrisburg, PA

Posted 03 January 2016 - 05:22 PM

I have finally "wised up".  Instead of posting lists of what I've watched, I'm gonna just write as I go.  If anyone wants to discuss any film, please do so.

The Yellow Rolls-Royce (1964) -- An anthology film about a yellow Rolls-Royce that changes hands through time.  The film's strong suit is a very talented cast.  The first story includes Rex Harrison, Jeanne Moreau, and Edmund Purdom, the second finds Shirley MacLaine, George C. Scott, Alain Delon, and Art Carney, and the final has Ingrid Bergman and Omar Sharif.  The first and second stories are rather similar in that they are about two established relationships.  The final one takes place during World War II. 

Since I typically do not go for these kind of films, the chances of this film winning me over were slight.  While I really enjoy Shirley playing a moll and I love Ingrid in the final story, it's just not my kind of film.  I will say that Ingrid was quite lovely nearing 50 years old.

The Appointment (1969) -- I was highly impressed by this artsy flick by the wonderful Sidney Lumet.  The film felt very "European" in mood and tone.  The story is presented in a volley of present and past story lines.  We see the initial meeting of Federico (Omar Sharif) and Carla (Anouk Aimee) and then we see events that are currently ongoing.  It seems confusing but it works.  What's the gist of the story?  Federico has suspicions that his wife, Carla, is a call girl.  So the film plays as a male paranoia/fear picture.  There's also the trust issue for the woman.  The film I was reminded of while watching this was Petulia.  I speak of tone not story.  And I've got a new crush with Anouk.

In the Cool of the Day (1963) -- Yet another interesting film about complicated relationships.  This time, there are two emotionally-damaged marriages that lead the husband of one (Peter Finch) and the wife of the other (Jane Fonda) spending time together on a Grecian vacation.  What makes the story fascinating are the characters.  Finch is married to Angela Lansbury.  They are dealing with a shared tragedy from their past.  She carries the physical scar while he carries more the emotional.  Meanwhile, Jane is a young but sickly woman who is married to the overly protective Arthur Hill, who serves as a bubble.  She also has to deal with her demanding mother (Constance Cummings).  As Miss G mentioned to me, the film plays as a sixties version of One-Way Passage.

Love Story (1970) -- Ahhhhh, continuing with the happiness of love.  Yet another sappy, "feel good" romance. :D  I enjoyed this one.  The reason being?  Jenny (Ali MacGraw) and her big mouth.  "Preppy."  Hilarious!  I just loved how she challenged her love interest, Oliver (Ryan O'Neal).  Ollie is the son of rich Harvard legend, Oliver Barrett III, played by... is that Ray Milland?!  Ray wore a hair piece?!  I never knew!  Oliver resents his father and his shadow, so he constantly shuns him in disgust or lashes out at him.  He's fighting to have his own identity.  It makes for a solid secondary story.  But make no mistake about it, the title of the film is the focus.  I really liked the back-and-forth banter between "Romeo and Juliet".

• MissGoddess and rohanaka like this

#40 rohanaka

rohanaka

Ro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,794 posts

Posted 26 December 2015 - 12:03 AM

Ha.. I've been saving that one to use on you for years!! (and a few others...) Just biding my time. I have a very well-stocked arsenal, as you well know. :D 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users