We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Hal Roach shorts on TCM

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#1 ziggyelman

ziggyelman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 876 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 03:25 PM

Well, they ran the Pitts and Todd short Catch-As Catch-Can (Bad sound for a couple of minutes) during one of the Robert Osborne Interviews(forget which one) several other shorts , have no idea if they are running the same shorts after the same interviews today (just seeing this today after copying the different interviews....)

#2 Jlewis

Jlewis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 09:01 AM

The Kid From Borneo is my favorite too. Obviously they were spoofing the natives of the recent King Kong, but that title did get into trouble by the 1970s (when they were still showing these on TV but weeding out the more offensive titles) and we Generation X-ers had to wait for the VHS and DVD era to watch it again. Yet the children are so innocent about race relations that they genuinely believe Bumbo is Uncle George. Why not? He's the "black sheep of the family". Modern viewers may also raise their eyebrows with Stymie claiming he is a "sissy cannibal" because of his ear rings, but... this was 1933 after all. Stymie: "Uh oh, bruthah. I don't want no wild man nibblin' on me!"

#3 Det Jim McLeod

Det Jim McLeod

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 20 February 2017 - 06:34 PM

I love nearly all of the Hal Roach Our Gang films, but here are my favorites: 

1. The Kid From Borneo-Dickie and Spanky mistakenly believe a wild man in a circus is their long lost uncle. Spanky has a great scene feeding him raws eggs,bologna and weinies. 

2. Wild Poses-Spanky needs to get his photo took but keeps busting the prissy photographer in the nose. Franklin Pangborn is hilarious in this. 

3. Free Wheeling-Rich kid Dickie gets a wild car ride from Stymie.Some very funny encounters with pedestrians. 

4. Birthday Blues-Dickie and Spanky try to earn money to buy a birthday present for their mom. They make a huge cakes with prizes in it. 

5. Mush And Milk-the gang are orphans who are waiting for their kindly foster father to get his back pension. This has the famous "don't drink the milk!" "Why?" "It's spoiled!" 

6. Shrimps For A Day-two adults find a magic lamp and become kids again. They end up with the gang at an orphanage run by nasty Mr Crutch. The old man is put in his place by wise cracking Spanky. 

7. Divot Diggers-the gang and their monkey become caddies at a golf course. Lots of funny gags as the golfers are driven crazy. 

8. Mama's Little Pirate-Spanky and the gang search for pirate treasure but find a scary giant instead. 

9. Love Business-Jackie and Chubby both fall for Miss Crabtree. Funniest scenes are Jackie interrupting Chubby's romantic poems to the teacher. 

10. Sprucin' Up- Spanky and Alfalfa try to impress the pretty new neighbor. It ends with a very funny chinup contest. 

• Jlewis likes this

#4 musicalnovelty

musicalnovelty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,207 posts

Posted 06 October 2016 - 11:50 PM

Hal Roach short coming up on TCM:

Friday, October 7, 2016 at 7:34 P.M. (eastern time): "Doctor's Orders" (1930) (First short in series "The Boy Friends").

Fun trivia to watch for: In the opening scenes we can see tire tracks on the lawn in front of the house. A few minutes later we see the reason for the tracks: Mickey and Grady drive their car across the lawn and crash into a tree. But the tracks shouldn't be there BEFORE they drive on the lawn! I guess they didn't think we would notice.

#5 musicalnovelty

musicalnovelty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,207 posts

Posted 13 November 2015 - 02:15 AM

The 1934 Hal Roach short YOU BRING THE DUCKS is scheduled to be shown on Nov. 15, 2015 at 1:36 A.M. eastern time (late Sunday night/early Monday morning).

This is one of four shorts Irvin S. Cobb starred in for Roach Studios, and so far the only one in that series that TCM has shown (it was first shown back on March 18, 2015.)

• Jlewis likes this

#6 WesternElectric

WesternElectric

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 08:46 PM

Thanks for the heads-up! Looking forward to Irvin S. Cobb, whose Roach shorts I've only read about.

#7 musicalnovelty

musicalnovelty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,207 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 07:09 AM

First time on TCM!

YOU BRING THE DUCKS (1934) starring Irvin S. Cobb - scheduled to be shown on Wednesday morning, March 18, 2015 at 6:06 A.M. (eastern time).

Cobb made four comedy shorts at Hal Roach Studios in 1934 and this is the first time TCM has shown any of them.

Thanks TCM! Looking forward to the rest of the Cobb shorts and the other Roach shorts that have not yet been shown.

• WesternElectric likes this

#8 musicalnovelty

musicalnovelty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,207 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 07:36 AM

The 1935 Laurel & Hardy short **** FOR TAT is coming up on TCM on Feb. 4, 2014.

#9 musicalnovelty

musicalnovelty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,207 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 06:51 AM

Hello ziggy,

Yes, TCM has shown all of the 15 "Boy Friends" shorts at least once before. I've been keeping track since the first Roach short shown in June of 2006.
Here is a listing of how many times TCM has shown each of the "Boy Friends" shorts:

DOCTOR'S ORDERS (1930) - 2
BIGGER AND BETTER (1930) - 2
LADIES LAST (1930) - 4
BLOOD AND THUNDER (1931) - 2
HIGH GEAR (1931) - 4 (counting the upcoming screening on Jan. 19).
LOVE FEVER (1931) - 3
AIR-TIGHT (1931) - 3
CALL A COP! (1931) - 2
MAMA LOVES PAPA (1931) - 1
THE KICK-OFF! (1931) - 1
LOVE PAINS (1932) - 1
THE KNOCKOUT (1932) - 3
YOU'RE TELLING ME (1932) - 2
TOO MANY WOMEN (1932) - 1
WILD BABIES! (1932) - 1

#10 ziggyelman

ziggyelman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 876 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 06:18 AM

Just saw that myself Musicalnovelty...has TCM ever run any of the Boy Friends shorts before, that you know of????

#11 musicalnovelty

musicalnovelty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,207 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 02:08 PM

Hal Roach short coming up on TCM:
HIGH GEAR (1931) - "Boy Friends" series.
Sunday night, January 19, 2014 at 1:33 A.M. (eastern time).

#12 jimtaylor

jimtaylor

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 03:49 PM

Sweet!

#13 PhygLeGuy

PhygLeGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 03:56 PM

Sunday-Monday, 10/27-28/2013
2:37 AM
Our Gang Follies Of 1938 (1938)
In this comedic short, a boy abandons his friends to attempt a career as an opera singer.
Dir: Gordon Douglas
Cast: Barry Downing , Harold Switzer , Gino Corrado.
BW-22 mins.
[We just might see Harold's brother in this one.]

Monday-Tuesday, 10/28-29/2013
5:39 AM
Top Flat (1935)
In this short film, a woman tries to convince her friend that she's struck it rich.
Dir: William Terhune
Cast: Thelma Todd , Patsy Kelly , Grace Goodall.
BW-19 mins, TV-G, CC.

#14 metz44

metz44

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,526 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 02:32 PM

dear nusic (richard) please excuse this method of communicating with you ,,i cannot acess nitrateville for some reason..i received an email advising that you left a message o for me on nitrate

please tell me what the message was..it is re the joe cook etal videos..thank you ..wmetzelaar@aolcom if you want to email me

#15 musicalnovelty

musicalnovelty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,207 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 06:20 AM

Upcoming Hal Roach shorts on TCM:

July 18, 2013 - OKAY TOOTS! (1934) - Charley Chase.

July 21, 2013 - BEAU HUNKS (1931) - Laurel & Hardy.

#16 musicalnovelty

musicalnovelty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,207 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 12:03 AM

The 1934 "All-Star" Hal Roach short BENNY, FROM PANAMA is scheduled for Saturday morning, January 26, 2013 at 11:42 A.M. (eastern).

The 1930 Laurel & Hardy short BRATS is listed for January 28 at 11:09 A.M. (eastern).

#17 PhygLeGuy

PhygLeGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 02:10 PM

CONSTANCE BENNETT'S DAILY BEAUTY RITUAL (1937) will appear Tuesday, November 6 @ 12:18 AM (ET). Also known as Wednesday, November 7, on every recording device ever produced.

CHASES OF PIMPLE STREET(1934) is listed for Thursday, November 8 @ 05:39 PM (ET). That’s Chase as in Charley and his on-screen family.

#18 musicalnovelty

musicalnovelty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,207 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 02:53 PM

> {quote:title=MickeyFender wrote:
> }{quote}Good Work!
> > {quote:title=musicalnovelty wrote:}{quote}The 1937 Hal Roach short CONSTANCE BENNETT PRESENTS HER DAILY BEAUTY RITUALS is scheduled on TCM on Sunday morning, 5:53 A.M. (eastern).
> >
> > By the way, I'm sure observant viewers have noticed that the print of this short that TCM runs has an incorrect end title attached. It is the end title from some unknown Educational Pictures film. In the kind of research challenge I welcome I decided to see if I can figure out exactly what Educational film that end title came from. I found that it is from a short called CROSS ROADS, released May 3, 1931, an entry in Educational's "Romantic Journeys" series
> >
Thanks! After all, someone had to do it!

Actually, the incorrect end title spliced onto that print has caused at least one error to be made. In a review I saw, some gullible soul believed the unmatching end title was real and stated incorrectly that the short was produced by Educational Pictures. (It is most definitely a Hal Roach production and had no connection to Educational Pictures).

#19 mickeyfender

mickeyfender

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 01:34 PM

Good Work!
> {quote:title=musicalnovelty wrote:}{quote}The 1937 Hal Roach short CONSTANCE BENNETT PRESENTS HER DAILY BEAUTY RITUALS is scheduled on TCM on Sunday morning, 5:53 A.M. (eastern).
>
> By the way, I'm sure observant viewers have noticed that the print of this short that TCM runs has an incorrect end title attached. It is the end title from some unknown Educational Pictures film. In the kind of research challenge I welcome I decided to see if I can figure out exactly what Educational film that end title came from. I found that it is from a short called CROSS ROADS, released May 3, 1931, an entry in Educational's "Romantic Journeys" series

#20 mickeyfender

mickeyfender

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 01:32 PM

Duplicate post

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users