We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Hal Roach shorts on TCM

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#41 ziggyelman

ziggyelman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 876 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 08:38 PM

Man, I sure hope these end up on DVD someday! I keep missing shorts! :( When did this one show up on the schedule???? I need to check every day, but I "think" I just checked ahead 2-3 days ago, and saw nothing....sigh......

#42 musicalnovelty

musicalnovelty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,214 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 02:27 AM

Hal Roach short coming!

THE CHASES OF PIMPLE STREET (1934) - Charley Chase.

Wednesday, July 14 at 7:39 P.M. (eastern)

This is the Chase short in which he and leading lady Betty Mack sing the popular tune of the day, "You Gotta Give Credit to Love". Most Chase fans consider his songs to be highlights of the films. They're catchy, clever, and frequently do fit in with the story. Chase wrote many of the songs himself, often sharing co-writing credit with Roach studio resident musical genius Marvin Hatley, and others such as actors Billy Gilbert, Eddie Dunn, and also writer - director Walter Weems.

"You Gotta Give Credit to Love" is one of the best, and is performed charmingly by Chase and Miss Mack. But something that many Chase fans may not know is that this was actually NOT a Chase or Hatley original. It was a hit song already popular at the time it was included in this short. It was written by the team of Sigler, Goodhart & Hoffman (but Charley Chase did provide a few lines of parody lyrics for his version). The song was recorded on 78 RPM records by the bands of Johnnie Davis and Don Bestor (I have both) in September and October 1934 and so would still have been currently being heard on the radio at the time this Chase short was released on December 22, 1934.

#43 beastooge

beastooge

Advanced Member

• TCM_allow
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 09:20 AM

MR. BRIDE (1932)
Charley Chase
June 9 2:09PM

BRING 'EM BACK A WIFE (1933)
The Taxi Boys
June 9 5:33PM

#44 talkietime

talkietime

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 02:37 PM

My copy of White Hot: The Mysterious Death of Thelma Todd comes from the NBC showing of 5/5/91. AMC featured Thelma Todd in the Hollywood Ghost Story episode shown 10/13/2000. It?s been a while since I viewed those titles.

#45 TODDFAN

TODDFAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 12:49 PM

The TV movie on Thelma Todd starring Loni Anderson was a travesity. Don't waste your time or money. It was based on a book that didn't have one word of truth in it.

#46 sfpcc1

sfpcc1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 06:05 PM

I saw "Three Chumps Ahead. I thought the sound was muddy, muffled and it was hard to hear the dialogue. In comparission Laurel And Hardy, The Three Stooges and Our Gang Shorts from the same era sound okay. Maybe they had some restoration done that the Patsy Kelly / Thelma Todd shorts didn't.

On a some what tangental note. Has anyone out there ever seen the made for tv bio pic of Thelma Todd? I haven't. It starred Loni Anderson, (yeah I know) who also stared in the Jane Mansfield Story, (which I have seen.)

#47 musicalnovelty

musicalnovelty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,214 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 01:08 AM

HOT MONEY (1935) with Thelma Todd and Patsy Kelly.

Saturday morning , May 8 at 11:42 A.M. (EST) (after The Bowery Boys feature JINX MONEY (1948).

#48 ziggyelman

ziggyelman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 876 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 02:04 AM

Thanks for the heads up Shemp! A bump for anyone that missed this info.

#49 beastooge

beastooge

Advanced Member

• TCM_allow
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 08:49 PM

THREE CHUMPS AHEAD (1934)
Thelma Todd & Patsy Kelly
May 4 9:38AM Eastern

#50 beastooge

beastooge

Advanced Member

• TCM_allow
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 07:46 PM

MAID IN HOLLYWOOD (1934)
Thelma Todd & Patsy Kelly
April 18 7:40AM Eastern

#51 TODDFAN

TODDFAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 05:24 PM

On closer examination, these won't be out until summer and fall. On well. I've waited this long.....

#52 ziggyelman

ziggyelman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 876 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 11:17 AM

Region 0 will play on any player, at least in theory. Great news! Wish more would come out!

#53 TODDFAN

TODDFAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 07:34 AM

It doesn't look as if they're available to order yet, but I'll keep checking. Thanks.

#54 musicalnovelty

musicalnovelty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,214 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 02:04 AM

> {quote:title=TODDFAN wrote:}{quote}
> They look great, but are these German sets with another region code and how would you go about ordering them?
>
In the description for the Max Davidson set, at the bottom it says:
Region Code
O
All Regions.

Does that mean that the discs can be played on all systems?

As for ordering them, I haven't looked closely at the details, but I'm sure there's info on the site, or one can contact them and ask for details. These sets are so special and exciting that I'm not even concerned too much about such details. If they're in some unplayable region I'll find a way to make them work!

#55 TODDFAN

TODDFAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 10:59 PM

They look great, but are these German sets with another region code and how would you go about ordering them?

#56 musicalnovelty

musicalnovelty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,214 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 05:03 AM

Extremely exciting news for Thelma Todd, Max Davidson, and Hal Roach shorts fans:

http://www.edition-f...sid/9f7605354e3

And as if that one wasn't a dream come true for many of us, here's another:

http://www.edition-f...sid/9f7605354e3

#57 beastooge

beastooge

Advanced Member

• TCM_allow
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 10:32 PM

BE BIG! (1931)
Laurel & Hardy
Nov. 15 11:29PM Eastern

#58 beastooge

beastooge

Advanced Member

• TCM_allow
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 10:36 AM

ONE GOOD TURN (1931)
Laurel & Hardy
Oct. 17 7:03AM Eastern

#59 beastooge

beastooge

Advanced Member

• TCM_allow
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 09:23 AM

THE KNOCKOUT (1932)
The Boy Friends
Oct. 10, 9:38AM Eastern

#60 Jon4HRoach

Jon4HRoach

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 08:18 AM

The Boy Friends "Mama Loves Papa" --

Yes, I REALLY ENJOYED IT and I sure hope they show more BOY FRIENDS shorts soon. Such wacky fun! Don't know if they ever showed "Mama Loves Papa" before. I started keeping track of Hal Roach shorts a few months AFTER you did. I've never seen it before this showing.

Sure wish they had a weekly Hal Roach program. They could easily show four 2-reelers in a 90 minute time slot. Maybe a Roach movie and a 2-reeler once-in-a-while in the same slot as well. I would sure look forward to a show like that each week!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users