We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Hal Roach shorts on TCM

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#81 beastooge

beastooge

Advanced Member

• TCM_allow
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 10:37 AM

> {quote:title=Shemp wrote:}{quote}
> *THE KNOCKOUT (1932)*
> "The Boyfriends," starring Mickey Daniels, Mary Kornman, Grady Sutton & Jacqueline Wells
> Aug. 24, 5:38AM Eastern
>
> (TCM's schedule has THE KNOCKOUT running after AIR RAID WARDENS (1943), the final film in the Laurel & Hardy "Summer Under the Stars" festival.)

*CALL HER SAUSAGE (1933)*
"The Taxi Boys"
Aug. 24, 8:40AM Eastern

*ANOTHER WILD IDEA (1934)*
Charley Chase
Aug. 24, 10:38AM Eastern

#82 HalRoach16mm

HalRoach16mm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 02 August 2008 - 12:59 PM

ATTENTION ALL CHARLEY CHASE FANS.

Cinecon 44, one of the oldest classic film festivals in the country will be held August 28th thru September 1st at Grauman's Egyptian Theater on Hollywood Blvd. Among the over forty films presented will be three films featuring comedy pioneer Charley Chase.

First up is a meticulously restored version of "Tillie's Punctured Romance", which includes recently found footage that hasn't been seen since its original release in 1914. Charley Chase plays a detective and has a sequence with Charles Chaplin and Mabel Normand in a movie theater.

Second is a long lost film and the first sound motion picture Charley Chase appeared in, entitled Modern Love (1929). Released by Universal, this film also features Anita Garvin. Chase and Garvin filmed this during the break at the Hal Roach Studios when the compound was closed in order to wire up for sound pictures. This will be the first time since 1929 that the once lost film will be seen AND in 35mm.

Finally, one of the four missing Charley Chase Columbia shorts that hasn't been seen since its original release in 1939 will be shown. The Awful Goof also features Lucille Lund, who played the wife of Boris Karloff in The Black Cat. Screened in 35mm (as are virtually all the films) this is another rare opportunity to see a once thought lost film.

Many features, shorts, cartoons and other rare film will be seen including a two reel remake of Laurel and Hardy's classic Way Out West, this time featuring Max Baer and Maxie Rosenbloom, made at Coolumbia Pictures. Go to the Cinecon website for further information. www.cinecon.org and don't miss this chance to see rare Charley Chase and other amazing films. Cinecon is an annual festival and always takes place over Labor Day weekend. The celebrity banquet is a chance to see at least fifty stars from the glory days and is a big highlight of the festival.

Don't expect to wait for these to pop up on DVD. Film preservation is not done soley so everything can be put out on video. Some things are done for preservation purposes and can be seen the way they were meant to be seen; on a screen. Come join us as we screen rare classics and a few nobody has seen in decades.

Viva Chase!

#83 movieman1957

movieman1957

Chris

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,581 posts
  • LocationAnnapolis MD

Posted 18 June 2008 - 09:56 AM

Charley Chase is coming June 21 at 9:40am. "Neighborhood House." (appropriately before the Laurel and Hardy double feature.)

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana. 

G. Marx.

#84 tobitz

tobitz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 03:16 PM

Just checked down here after posting on the Upcoming Shorts thread. I obviously haven't been paying enough attention to this forum. I love things like SNEAK EASILY, and as happy as it makes me to discover them by accident, I think I'll be checking here for hopes of advanced notice.
Anyone know why the TCM database has so little information on the shorts? I usually end up checking on IMDb to find out who's involved.

#85 beastooge

beastooge

Advanced Member

• TCM_allow
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 09:00 PM

THE CHIMP (1932)
Stan Laurel & Oliver Hardy
6/4, 11:35AM Eastern

#86 ziggyelman

ziggyelman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 876 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 09:00 AM

Say, why not mention the films by name, since Hot Toddy is in one of them??? I assume they are both Hal Roach films, with Langdon in one, and Todd in the other....

27 Tuesday
6:00 AM *Atlantic Adventure* (1935)
An ace reporter tracks the man who killed the D.A. to an ocean liner. Cast: Nancy Carroll, Lloyd Nolan, Harry Langdon. Dir: Albert S. Rogell. BW-68 mins, TV-G
7:13 AM Short Film: *Sneak Easily* (1932) (Todd and Pitt)
BW-16 mins,

7:30 AM *After The Dance* (1935)
An escaped convict tries to keep ahead of the law while starring in a dancing act. Cast: Nancy Carroll, George Murphy, Thelma Todd. Dir: Leo Bulgakov. BW-60 mins, TV-G

#87 ziggyelman

ziggyelman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 876 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 08:57 AM

That's ok Thelma, you made the short over 75 years ago! ;)

I thought I was going to be the first to mention this, but that's cool! The films before and after this short, both starring Nancy Carroll, should be cool as well!!!!

#88 ThelmaTodd

ThelmaTodd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 03:36 PM

Wow, learn something everyday! Thanks.

Thelma

#89 beastooge

beastooge

Advanced Member

• TCM_allow
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 01:33 PM

It is the Todd/Pitts short subject SNEAK EASILY (1932), scheduled to run from 7:13AM - 7:30AM (Eastern), Tuesday May 27...

http://www.tcm.com/s...ST&oid=5/1/2008

#90 ThelmaTodd

ThelmaTodd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 12:23 PM

Hi! That movie is "Speak Easily". It's a full length film (60+ minutes) and featured Buster Keaton as performer and producer.

Always glad to hear from the fans!

Thelma

#91 TODDFAN

TODDFAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 11:57 AM

OMG!!! This is the ONLY Todd short I never got to the first time around! Thanks for the heads up.

#92 beastooge

beastooge

Advanced Member

• TCM_allow
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 09:06 AM

SNEAK EASILY (1932)
Thelma Todd & Zasu Pitts
May 27, 2008 7:13AM Eastern

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users