We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Movie Trivia

• Please log in to reply
4660 replies to this topic

#1 film lover 293

film lover 293

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,191 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 11:38 PM

Princess of Tap. It's your thread.

#2 film lover 293

film lover 293

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,191 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 12:49 AM

Princess of Tap???

#3 film lover 293

film lover 293

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,191 posts

Posted 04 September 2017 - 01:33 PM

Princess--Correct on all counts.

Your thread. :)

#4 Princess of Tap

Princess of Tap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,768 posts

Posted 04 September 2017 - 12:59 AM

Hint #1--The director also helmed maybe the strangest western of the 1950's.

Edgy director Nicholas Ray directed pretty boy Robert Taylor and Dancer Cyd Charisse in Party Girl, a MGM film near the end of both of their contracts.

#5 film lover 293

film lover 293

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,191 posts

Posted 04 September 2017 - 12:13 AM

Hint #2--One of the leads was famed for her dancing.

#6 film lover 293

film lover 293

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,191 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 12:22 PM

Hint #1--The director also helmed maybe the strangest western of the 1950's.

#7 film lover 293

film lover 293

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,191 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 09:31 AM

Neither of this pair were known for their acting skill, but they costarred in one of the better 1950's noirs.  Name them, the film, and the studio that made the film.

#8 Azure

Azure

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,818 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 02:02 AM

As far as it never being shown, I know I've seen it numerous times on TCM, because that's the only place I ever watched it before (I watched yesterday on a terrarium tv link, so I could fast forward to the hotel scenes)

I just checked MovieCollector's TCM movie database and saw that That Touch of Mink has been shown over 30 times on TCM!! Where have I been?? LOL Seriously, I don't remember seeing it on the TCM schedule (at least not for past few years). For the last couple of years, I've only seen it on the Movies! channel or on one of the other classic movie channels. I think that it has been a while since it was last shown on TCM. Anyway, sorry about that.

Congrats, Film Lover!
  • film lover 293 likes this

Screen Goddess of the Week --  Kay Francis

#9 shutoo

shutoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,487 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 01:00 AM

5. film lover  :) Yes, it was a baby tooth from daughter Jennifer

8. Azure  :) I got curious about this when reading trivia on this site: http://www.carygrant...ia/crazies.html

so I watched part of That Touch of Mink​, and he does have on a cummerbund ..I couldn't find a good still to show it, but it's most evident in his scenes with the hotel doctor. As far as it never being shown, I know I've seen it numerous times on TCM, because that's the only place I ever watched it before (I watched yesterday on a terrarium tv link, so I could fast forward to the hotel scenes)

thanks to everyone who answered...I think film lover 293 got the most correct (4)...so the thread goes to them...

#10 Princess of Tap

Princess of Tap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,768 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 10:08 PM

8) I think he wore a cummerbund in Monkey Business.

#11 film lover 293

film lover 293

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,191 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 07:46 PM

5. His daughters' baby teeth?

#12 Azure

Azure

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,818 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 05:34 PM

8.) I think that he wore a cummerbund in That Touch of Mink. (It's never/rarely shown on TCM, though.)

#13 shutoo

shutoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,487 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 04:00 PM

7. film lover :) He made 23 films for Paramount, 15 for RKO, 10 for Columbia, 6 for MGM, 5 for Warners, 20th Century Fox and Universal...and some single appearances for other studios...

8.  Miles Archer  :(  He's wearing a white Westcott in Bringing up Baby​..you can see the buttons at the bottom of the vest.

4.  Miles Archer  B) If Mock Turtle is a single name, I stand corrected (but it is two words.. ;) )

-------------------

still open...5 (personal, late in life), and 8 (that very popular film in which he wears a cummerbund..and it's black)

#14 film lover 293

film lover 293

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,191 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 02:44 PM

7. Paramount ?

#15 MilesArcher

MilesArcher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,946 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 02:32 PM

No. 8 is, I believe, "Bringing Up Baby"..  Check this clip to see if he's wearing a cummerbund.

Also, there might be another answer for no. 4.  In Paramount's "Alice In Wonderland", Cary and several other stars wore heavy makeup for their roles.  Cary played the Mock Turtle, with apparently no first name.

38e6170d7e0ff4976883bb0e945f67a7.jpg

#16 shutoo

shutoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,487 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 10:43 AM

1. starliteyes   :) He whistled both these themes in a couple 'making coffee' scenes

2.  Azure :)   "Listen, the last man that said that to me was Archie Leach just a week before he cut his throat"

3.  Azure :) When he was married to Barbara Hutton, he wore his ring in films, whether the character was married or not

4.  starliteyes :)  His only name is Devlin in the film

5.  .............

6.  starliteyes :) according to the 65th anniversary issue of Weekly Variety, Operation Petticoat was number one...That Touch of Mink was number two (film lover--Father Goose ​was number five)

7.  Azure :(  nope...15 for RKO...another studio was 23...???

8. .............

9. film lover :)  Hot Saturday ​was the 1932 release (he had 8 that year) with top billing

10. film lover :) If you're curious, the 3 properties they shared were at: 1129 N. Sweetzer Ave (LA), 2177 West Live Oak Drive (Los Feliz) and 1018 Ocean Front Rd (Santa Monica)

----------------

Great answers!  5, 7 and 8 are still open.....(5 is personal, and a bit obscure...but I have hopes for 7 and 8!)

#17 starliteyes

starliteyes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,616 posts

Posted 26 August 2017 - 06:02 AM

1.  In Walk, Don't Run, he whistles the themes from Charade and An Affair to Remember

4. Notorious?

6.  I think it's Operation Petticoat

7. Indiscreet?

#18 Azure

Azure

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,818 posts

Posted 26 August 2017 - 05:31 AM

2.) His Girl Friday

3.) his wedding ring (?)

7.) RKO (?)

#19 film lover 293

film lover 293

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,191 posts

Posted 26 August 2017 - 01:01 AM

6. "Father Goose" (1964)?

9. According to TCM's filmography, "Hot Saturday" (1932)?

10. Randolph Scott?

#20 shutoo

shutoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,487 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 11:31 PM

sorry for the delay...I completely forgot...

How about a little Cary Grant Trivia?

1.  In what film does Grant whistle musical themes from his previous films?  what were they?

2.  Who says he hated his real name?  He named his terrier pooch Archie Leach..and mentioned his actual name in what film?

3. He wore this personal item in five films...even though it didn't always fit the character (hint..in the 40s)

4. In which film does he have no first name?

5. Later in his life, Grant had a personal item encased in Lucite as a keepsake...know what it was?

6. Which of Grant's films had the largest box office (US and Canada)?  This one surprised me...

7. For which studio did Grant make the most films?

8. The always-dapper Cary wore a tuxedo in 31 films...but wore a cummerbund in only one...know it? (not an obscure movie..shown often on TCM) 

9. In which film did Grant first receive top billing?

10. Grant shared 3 different LA homes with what other famous person (not any of his five wives..)?

some are easy...some maybe not...feel free to answer any or all!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users