We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Western Movie Rambles

• Please log in to reply
8357 replies to this topic

#1 Bronxgirl48

Bronxgirl48

Bronxie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,575 posts
  • LocationThe French Riviera (in my dreams)

Posted 18 October 2016 - 01:44 PM

Sorry I wasn't up to speed, Chris -- but the boys and I celebrate and wish you HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

!https://www.youtube....h?v=jwR46vY8mCk

#2 Bronxgirl48

Bronxgirl48

Bronxie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,575 posts

Posted 18 October 2016 - 01:44 PM

gremlin post

#3 movieman1957

movieman1957

Chris

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,581 posts
  • LocationAnnapolis MD

Posted 17 October 2016 - 07:33 PM

A very "Happy Birthday", Movieman!  I hope you had a terrific day with your family.  And lots of presents!  You deserve them. 

Glad to have met you through this wonderful place.

I did. Spent the weekend with my daughter. It was a great present. I can't tell you how much I miss chatting about movies with you. It looks like we both are kind of scarce (unless I am looking in the wrong place.) You were among the group I enjoyed the most and learned from the most. I appreciate hearing from you my friend. Take care. Thanks,

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana. 

G. Marx.

#4 FrankGrimes

FrankGrimes

Scott

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,864 posts
  • LocationHarrisburg, PA

Posted 16 October 2016 - 08:05 PM

A very "Happy Birthday", Movieman!  I hope you had a terrific day with your family.  And lots of presents!  You deserve them. 

Glad to have met you through this wonderful place.

#5 movieman1957

movieman1957

Chris

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,581 posts
  • LocationAnnapolis MD

Posted 16 October 2016 - 09:17 AM

Thanks so much for the note and the cupcakes, I hope everyone enjoys them. I have checked in from time to time so I am keeping up with things in Western Town.

Much love to you and the group. See you somewhere around soon.

• rohanaka likes this

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana. 

G. Marx.

#6 rohanaka

rohanaka

Ro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,799 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 15 October 2016 - 11:31 PM

Well, it's been a good long while, since we've seen him here on the Western side of town.. but just in case he's still ramblin' around out here now and then, I want to wish a HAPPY Birthday to the Movieman! Hope it is a great day for you, sir. OH, and in honor of the occasion, may I just say... Cupcakes for everybody!! :)

mmcupcakes_zpsafe82856.jpg

#7 Bronxgirl48

Bronxgirl48

Bronxie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,575 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 02:06 PM

Well as you all know by now, Matthew has skedaddled out of here.

I've got lots of tuna, Wheat Thins, Stella D'Oro Breakfast Treats and bottled water.  Hurricane season ends November 30th so South Florida is not quite out of the woods yet.

• rohanaka likes this

#8 rohanaka

rohanaka

Ro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,799 posts

Posted 05 October 2016 - 11:40 AM

We've been watching the forecasts and praying for you and all the folks along that coastline. (and all the ones out in the ocean that have already been hit too) Good gravy, that is one big storm.

DO be sure to get in and out of that store as quickly as  you can and get yourself inside to the safest area you have.

And meanwhile.. woo.. Tuna and crackers.. personally, I prefer the canned chicken, but tuna is not a bad treat if you have to be on rations. Make the best of it, if you can and get some tasty pickles to enjoy with that too!  OH, and yes.. by all means get the bottled water and some batteries, if you can. (and plenty of candles and matches too.)  But mostly just stay safe, hold on, and hunker down, kiddo. Glad you are getting prepared for the worst.. but let's pray the worst will just pass you by.  :) 

• Bronxgirl48 likes this

#9 Bronxgirl48

Bronxgirl48

Bronxie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,575 posts

Posted 05 October 2016 - 09:05 AM

Thank you Ma!  I'm hoping this sucker will veer off into the sea and leave us, the Carolinas, and all of our other Southeastern coastal neighbors alone, but for now that doesn't seem to be the case.

Off to the supermarket shortly to stock up.  I'm certain it will be a madhouse, with all the bottled water, tuna fish, saltines, batteries and flashlights flying off the shelves.

Updates to follow.....

#10 rohanaka

rohanaka

Ro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,799 posts

Posted 04 October 2016 - 11:38 PM

Woo.. that is no laughing matter, Miss B. :)  

Batten down those hatches. Move to higher ground. Board up the windows and lay in a supply of food and water.. (ok, I am running out of customary phrases, ha, but you get the idea!!) DO take good care and let us hear from you when you can.   Stay safe!!! 

#11 Bronxgirl48

Bronxgirl48

Bronxie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,575 posts

Posted 04 October 2016 - 04:42 PM

Here in South Florida we're bracing for a visit from Hurricane Matthew.

Too bad it's not Montgomery Clift.

Severe power outages will probably result, so if you don't hear from me......

#12 Bronxgirl48

Bronxgirl48

Bronxie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,575 posts

Posted 03 October 2016 - 02:10 PM

I'm voting for Duke!

#13 rohanaka

rohanaka

Ro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,799 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 07:48 PM

Hiya Bronxie!

Hey, Ro, I know what you mean about peppers, lol.  The older I get the more they don't love me, and that includes garlic, tomatoes, and coffee.  I've never had the Chicken Scampi at Olive Garden but do love their breadsticks.  I used to love Shrimp Scampi (or Shrimp Anything) but now all shrimp, with their little black eyes and embryo bodies, just gross me out.

Ha! Well I am not too huge on Shrimp, but I do like them sometimes. As for the Olive Garden.. my goodness ME, I could just eat their salad and breadsticks all day, every day, and probably be happy. The kidteen and I were overjoyed last summer when we found out you can now buy their salad dressing in the grocery stores (Woo and also HOO!) We love that stuff. I put it on salad (and/or other fresh veggies) but it is also good in pasta dishes too (makes a lovely dressing for my cold chicken and pasta dish.. yum!)

One line I always remember Walter saying from MY DARLING CLEMENTINE is "Cover your brother".  Such family feeling, lol.

The line that always gets me is something like "When you pull out your gun, make sure you kill him" (or something like that)  OH me, did I mention he gives me the heebie jeebies, just thinking about him?? :D 

Oh, gosh, we DID (or rather, the rest of you; I just chimed in for about half a second) cover RED RIVE R!  Thanks so much for digging those great golden rambles up -- yes, wonderful to read again. 

Yep, it was a good ole chat. I miss gabbing and blabbing like that with that whole ramblin' crowd, for sure. :)

I think you and I agree about those "motivational" problems in the characters, notably Dunson.  His "I'm going to kill you, Matt" has about as much believability as a certain orange person running for President.

Ha, yes. More believable than him OR anyone else that is currently running. I think the Duke's Dunson would likely carry more weight (in terms of who is the most believable) than either the orange guy, OR the gal in the pantsuit... alas.  But let's don't go THERE.. you do not want to get me started. Oh me..  :rolleyes: 

#14 Bronxgirl48

Bronxgirl48

Bronxie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,575 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 06:29 PM

Hey, Ro, I know what you mean about peppers, lol.  The older I get the more they don't love me, and that includes garlic, tomatoes, and coffee.  I've never had the Chicken Scampi at Olive Garden but do love their breadsticks.  I used to love Shrimp Scampi (or Shrimp Anything) but now all shrimp, with their little black eyes and embryo bodies, just gross me out.

One line I always remember Walter saying from MY DARLING CLEMENTINE is "Cover your brother".  Such family feeling, lol.

Oh, gosh, we DID (or rather, the rest of you; I just chimed in for about half a second) cover RED RIVER!  Thanks so much for digging those great golden rambles up -- yes, wonderful to read again.  I think you and I agree about those "motivational" problems in the characters, notably Dunson.  His "I'm going to kill you, Matt" has about as much believability as a certain orange person running for President.

#15 rohanaka

rohanaka

Ro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,799 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 11:48 AM

Thank you for the birthday wish, Pirate Dude. And the lovely cake! Sweet and sparkly all at the same time! :)

As for my beloved Stumpy and his throwing arm.. ha. You do raise a good point. Maybe he had plenty of time to practice his aim, sitting around in that jail while he was guarding prisoners. Stranger things have happened. :)

PS: Cid.. you are right. Walter Brennan DID seem old in pretty much every role. He just seemed to have one of those faces. I have seen him in much earlier films, playing much younger men, yet he still looked older. Just the luck of the draw, I guess, when faces were being handed out. Whatever the reason, it seemed to work very well for him, all through his career.   :)

#16 TheCid

TheCid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,607 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 29 September 2016 - 08:02 AM

Happy Birthday, Ro

happy-birthday_animated_89.gif

I confess, I didn't make this cake, I'm lousy at this new-fangled cyber cooking, but I had it made at a bakery-rich port of call who specializes in birthday cakes for the very special. C'est Vous!

I noticed that screen shot from Rio Bravo and I remember thinking how could that old guy (very famous actor whose name escapes me, gettin't old here myself) could have thrown that dynamite that far. In the next frame you could see how far it was. Oh, the movies.

Many more, Ro ... happy and healthy ones.

:)

Walter Brennan.  One of those actors who was born old.

#17 laffite

laffite

Oh Johnneeeeee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,632 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 29 September 2016 - 01:26 AM

Happy Birthday, Ro

happy-birthday_animated_89.gif

I confess, I didn't make this cake, I'm lousy at this new-fangled cyber cooking, but I had it made at a bakery-rich port of call who specializes in birthday cakes for the very special. C'est Vous!

I noticed that screen shot from Rio Bravo and I remember thinking how could that old guy (very famous actor whose name escapes me, gettin't old here myself) could have thrown that dynamite that far. In the next frame you could see how far it was. Oh, the movies.

Many more, Ro ... happy and healthy ones.

:)

• rohanaka likes this

#18 rohanaka

rohanaka

Ro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,799 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 08:23 PM

Howdy there, Bronxie, 

What did you eat at Olive Garden?  (haven't been there in some time -- it's always hideously crowded in my area and the wait drives me crazy)

It can be pretty crowded here too, depending on which one you go to, and what day of the week..and what time of the day. We have so many in our area. (Kansas City is really just one really big city with a whole bunch of other smaller (but still fair sized) cities all clustered around it. And fortunately there are probably 4 or 5 different Olive Gardens all within about a 15-20 minute drive from our house. So ha.. we usually have our choice of which one we want to go to. (but we still only go, usually, for special occasions) 

For my b-day dinner I had my usual favorite: Chicken Scampi (only I have them switch out the peppers for mushrooms. I like peppers, but they don't like me, much. ha) and of course.. salad and breadsticks. (oh baby) :D 

Oh my gosh I know just what you mean about Walter in MY DARLING CLEMENTINE.  He is very, very frightening.  I also definitely get chills from that performance! 

Good golly he is over the top awful in that movie (but I mean that in a GOOD way) Still gives me the heebie jeebies to see him like that and then try and figure out HOW he could turn around and play someone so lovable (even if a bit cranky) as Sweet Stumpy. :) 

Can you tell me some of the problems  you have with RED RIVER?  As much as I love it, I have a few myself, lol.

Well to be honest I would have to watch it all again to get TOO specific. I don't even remember if I ever saw it more than once (since the first time I saw it several years ago) But what I DO recall was that it just seemed a bit hard to believe and was a bit far fetched, in terms of how the characters all reacted and behaved toward one another. Too high strung, too quick to react (in an unpredictable way) and the ending was.. well. to me.. over-simplified for such a complex story.  I DO remember liking it. and the parts I liked, I like a lot. I just thought it had a few 'issues" that I was not expecting for the big build up so many folks had given over the years. 

But to be SURE I was remembering it right.. I did some digging and found our old ramble on it. It was a fun read to go through it all.. if  you start about page 317 and work your way from bottom to top and forward to about page 315 or so.. you may have to wade through a lot of UN-related topics here and there (because yeah.. they don't call us "ramblers for nothin', ha) but it was a fun chat. 

http://forums.tcm.co...ambles/page-317

#19 Bronxgirl48

Bronxgirl48

Bronxie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,575 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 07:25 PM

Hey, Quiet Gal, thrilled you had a wonderful birthday and that the weather cooperated!  What did you eat at Olive Garden?  (haven't been there in some time -- it's always hideously crowded in my area and the wait drives me crazy)

Oh my gosh I know just what you mean about Walter in MY DARLING CLEMENTINE.  He is very, very frightening.  I also definitely get chills from that performance! 

Can you tell me some of the problems  you have with RED RIVER?  As much as I love it, I have a few myself, lol.

#20 rohanaka

rohanaka

Ro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,799 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 10:39 PM

Howdy Miss B!! 

I just took a CHANCE (Sheriff John T., lol) you might like it ha!  Ah yes, dear old Stumpy -- Walter Brennan, three-time Best Supporting Oscar, a great actor and much more versatile than I think  he was given credit for.  

Oh I love sweet Walter in just about anything. EVEN when he is detestable. (oh me.. My Darling Clementine STILL gives me shivers for how evil he is) But  you are right.. what a versatile guy. Just about my most favorite character actor, I do believe. 

My number one Hawks film in this genre is RED RIVER.  (can't stop looking at Monty and I have a perverse attraction to John Ireland as Cherry Valance)

Well they are BOTH pretty fun to watch in that one. (way more fun to watch than the DUKE!! ha) I have to say I WANTED to like that film more, but I just couldn't give myself over to it completely.  It is hard to watch in places.. sometimes because of how hard the Duke is. But really, I can take that part.. he doesn't always have to be the "good guy" for me to enjoy his films. But boy.. he comes off REALLY harsh in this movie.  But the other times I struggle with it, are more because to me it the story as a whole doesn't ring as true for me as I would like. I just had a few hang ups with it.

Overall it's a really great film. But I can't rate it as high as some folks do.  

Enjoy your special day!  Blessings! (and good eats!)

Thank you ma'am! It was a LOVELY day for both!! The weather was absolutely gorgeous and I just had a very pleasant day, into evening hanging out with the fam.. and then out to dinner (Olive Garden of course!!) :) Thanks for the lovely wishes!! 

• Bronxgirl48 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users