We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Western Movie Rambles

• Please log in to reply
8357 replies to this topic

#21 rohanaka

rohanaka

Ro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,799 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 26 September 2016 - 10:25 PM

Hello MY DEAR Mr. Grey!! :D 

Why, today is Quiet Gal's birthday.  I believe she's turning the big 1-0-0.

HA!!!!  Watch it now... Or I will hit you with my cane!! :D 

Now for the gift idea.  There's one particular item she is very fond of.

Why yes.. it is the gift that keeps on giving. :D

PS.. I have never seen this movie. (is that Bandolero? I had to look it up since I saw you were one of the stars. What sort of cowboy do you play in this one?? A seedy ne'er-do-well?) :P

She loves to hang the innocent... neatly.

Well, hey!! Neatness counts.. ha. But no! I don't hang anyone who is innocent. I only go after the shifty and shadowy sorts. :D

Happy Birthday, Quiet Gal!  I hope you have a wonderful day.  Here's to many more "hangin's"!

Why THANK you, Mr. Grey!! It has been a very happy birthday!! And it was fun to come in here and see you and Miss Bronxie as well. :)

Sincerely,

The Most Innocent Varmint this side of the Pecos.

Now exactly WHAT side of the Pecos would that be??? Because from where I stand you have the "varmint" part spot on.. but that innocent act is not fooling ME. :D

Meanwhile.. I may forego the rope and just try out my latest weapon on you. With Miss B posting that song from Rio Bravo it got me to thinking I might need to expand my arsenal, so I spent a little of my birthday money.. and got me some of that "Diney-mite" that Walter B was using. I think this will be more fun for me to light up than birthday candles.   :D

riobravo%20stumpy_zps6mgintsw.jpg

• Bronxgirl48 likes this

#22 FrankGrimes

FrankGrimes

Scott

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,864 posts
  • LocationHarrisburg, PA

Posted 26 September 2016 - 04:44 PM

bandolero3_zpsdq5rmhpf.jpg

Why, today is Quiet Gal's birthday.  I believe she's turning the big 1-0-0.

bandolero4_zpslzwtos0t.jpg

Now for the gift idea.  There's one particular item she is very fond of.

bandolero5_zpskqkezook.jpg

... make sure it fits the most innocent of necks.  She loves to hang the innocent... neatly.

bandolero2_zpsegq3kmtk.jpg

bandolero1_zpsomym72dv.jpg

Happy Birthday, Quiet Gal!  I hope you have a wonderful day.  Here's to many more "hangin's"!

Sincerely,

The Most Innocent Varmint this side of the Pecos.

• Bronxgirl48 and rohanaka like this

#23 Bronxgirl48

Bronxgirl48

Bronxie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,575 posts
  • LocationThe French Riviera (in my dreams)

Posted 26 September 2016 - 12:11 PM

Oh, you're so welcome, birthday gal!  I just took a CHANCE (Sheriff John T., lol) you might like it ha!  Ah yes, dear old Stumpy -- Walter Brennan, three-time Best Supporting Oscar, a great actor and much more versatile than I think  he was given credit for.   As you know, I'm not a Western movie expert, but I do have my favorites.  RIO BRAVO is one of them.  My number one Hawks film in this genre is RED RIVER.  (can't stop looking at Monty and I have a perverse attraction to John Ireland as Cherry Valance)

Enjoy your special day!  Blessings! (and good eats!)

• rohanaka likes this

#24 rohanaka

rohanaka

Ro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,799 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 11:08 AM

THANK you for the lovely birthday wish, dear Miss B!!  And woo hoo!! Thanks for posting one of my all time favorite moments from one of my all time favorite westerns too!! I love being serenaded on my birthday by Ricky, Dean.. and my beloved Walter!! :D 

Rio Bravo is definitely near the tippy top for me for Hawks films. (I might be on the fence between this and Only Angels have Wings) but for Hawks westerns.. boy, this one would be hard to beat.  Gotta love how it all comes together for the whole cast. In fact, I  l-o-v-e love just about everything about it. :) 

Thanks for the nice birthday surprise, sweet twinny. :) 

• Bronxgirl48 likes this

#25 Bronxgirl48

Bronxgirl48

Bronxie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,575 posts

Posted 25 September 2016 - 11:50 PM

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, RO! 

Wishing you good times with old friends..

!https://www.youtube....h?v=v2ssbgThljU

#26 FrankGrimes

FrankGrimes

Scott

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,864 posts
  • LocationHarrisburg, PA

Posted 25 December 2015 - 11:44 AM

Thank you, Quiet Gal.  All the best to you and yours this holiday season.  And to everyone else in the TCM community.

• rohanaka likes this

#27 rohanaka

rohanaka

Ro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,799 posts

Posted 25 December 2015 - 12:00 AM

To all my TCM friends and family.. Best wishes one and all. 

snowman.jpg

• TopBilled likes this

#28 wouldbestar

wouldbestar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,619 posts
  • LocationTampa, FL

Posted 15 December 2015 - 08:29 PM

Has anyone else seen 1954's Three Hours to Kill?  I just did and am glad I discovered it; another little gem from Columbia. 

Dana Andrews is the star.  A man is accused of killing his fiancée's brother the night before the wedding because he opposed the marriage.  She helps him escape a lynching which leaves his neck burned.  After three years on the run he returns to clear his name and claim his woman.  This leads to a Western detective story where we see all the suspects eliminated until the killer is revealed. 

The supporting cast has Richard Coogan, Richard Webb, James Westerfield and Whit Bissell before he went gray. 

There are as many women as men in the story.  Donna Reed is the woman left behind and a red-haired Dianne Foster is the hotel owner who longs to be in her shoes.  Carolyn Jones and Charlotte Fletcher are dance hall girls both in love with a gambler who might not be worth it. 

The theme music is the same one used in Randolph Scott's A Lawless Street.  Roy Huggins co-wrote it and Harry Joe Brown is the producer. All that's missing is Budd Boetticher  as the director and Scott as the star.  This makes me wonder if Scott was the original star but Andrews ended up doing it the way Scott filled in for John Wayne when he couldn't make Seven Men from Now.  It has the feel of those other Budd and Randolph films made at Columbia and WB during that time. A great way for a Western fan to spend 90 minutes.

#29 movieman1957

movieman1957

Chris

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,581 posts
  • LocationAnnapolis MD

Posted 07 December 2015 - 12:10 PM

The King and Four Queens" with Clark Gable turned out, for me, to be pretty much of a bore. Hanging out with four young probable widows and their domineering mother-in-law doesn't give much for Gable to do except wait for each of them to throw themselves at him and the mother-in-law, Jo Van Fleet, to beat them off of him and berate them for their efforts.

Gable is there looking for a loot of hidden gold and spends most of the film biding his time but doesn't do much along the way.

Gable is okay. Fleet gives the best performance. Raoul Walsh directed but even with all of that there isn't much to recommend.

Only for big Gable fans.

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana. 

G. Marx.

#30 wouldbestar

wouldbestar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,619 posts
  • LocationTampa, FL

Posted 28 October 2015 - 10:13 AM

My quote: I never caught 'Wishbone's" real name, thank you for another uncanny moment.  I will look for Cattle Drive, who doesn't love Joel McCrea?

It's called Cattle Empire and I just watched it.  Thanks for spreading the word, Movieman!  I loved it.  It's quite a different take on the usual plot of this theme which kept you watching to see what came next rather than if you were right about how it went. 

Charles Marquis Warren was the director and Endre Bohm the co-writer so of course it's easy to consider this a precursor to Rawhide.  You were right about the casting:  Charles Gray, who was Clay Forrester, was there  and a character was named Quince, the name of one of the drovers on the series.  As for Paul Brinegar, this was a total dress rehearsal for Wishbone, as he did on the series he nearly stole the film.

Another thing I liked was that two actors who usually have only small supporting roles really got to shine here in larger parts:  Bing Russell and Phyllis Coates, who actually came from Texas cattle country.  Bing actually got to be a good guy here and Phyllis was a lot softer and feminine than she usually is on Superman or some of her other appearances.  And Gloria Talbot was fine as the love-struck young girl trying to convince the hero that she's all grown up and just what he needs.  Also the actor who played Ralph Hamilton is unknown to me but he could sing and was very convincing as a blind man.

If you've not seen this movie, you are in for a treat .  It's just what you'd expect from people of this caliber and that's a lot.

#31 movieman1957

movieman1957

Chris

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,581 posts
  • LocationAnnapolis MD

Posted 28 October 2015 - 07:39 AM

I saw a few minutes of CATTLE DRIVE with Joel McCrea and Brinegar was in that one along with a couple of other RAWHIDE guys but what struck me funny is that Brinegar's name is Thomas Jefferson Jeffrey and his brother is George Washington Jeffrey. Of course, his name in RAWHIDE was George Washington Wishbone.

G. Marx.

#32 wouldbestar

wouldbestar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,619 posts
  • LocationTampa, FL

Posted 27 October 2015 - 10:25 PM

Another "You can't make this up" moment.

I watched an early 1956-57 season Cheyenne episode, Lone Gun, about a cattle drive.  One of the hands was played by Paul "Wishbone" Brinegar and Hal Baylor was the second in command, a character named "Rowdy".  This was a little more than two years before those "other drovers" began that seven-year drive on CBS.  Of course nobody had any idea that was coming.  I often catch ironic moments like this on the vintage shows but this one was a dilly.  

#33 Bronxgirl48

Bronxgirl48

Bronxie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,575 posts

Posted 17 October 2015 - 02:54 PM

Chris, I'm a Richard Boone fan from way back; loved everything he ever did on the big and small screen.

I don't wonder about your affinity for Paladin because you already had all his great qualities to begin with!

Hope you had a terrific birthday; you deserve all the good things in life.

!https://www.youtube....h?v=tgvxu8QY01s

• movieman1957 likes this

#34 movieman1957

movieman1957

Chris

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,581 posts
  • LocationAnnapolis MD

Posted 16 October 2015 - 10:49 PM

Happy Birthday, Chris!

Thanks so much. One of my favorite shows. Paladin had class, was well educated, honorable and appreciated fine things. All the things I hoped to be. 

Talk to you soon.

G. Marx.

#35 movieman1957

movieman1957

Chris

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,581 posts
  • LocationAnnapolis MD

Posted 16 October 2015 - 10:46 PM

A very Happy Birthday to you, Cowboy Chris!

You have long been a favorite of mine on this board.  Your kindness cannot be surpassed.  That's a quality I greatly admire in a person.  And I greatly admire you.

I hope you have a wonderful day.  Enjoy!

Scott, I am flattered that you feel that way. I have so enjoyed our conversations, appreciated your help and felt honored to have you for a friend. Thanks. I hope we can chat about some new western soon. 

G. Marx.

#36 Bronxgirl48

Bronxgirl48

Bronxie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,575 posts

Posted 16 October 2015 - 08:41 PM

Happy Birthday, Chris!

!Have-Gun.gif

#37 FrankGrimes

FrankGrimes

Scott

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,864 posts
  • LocationHarrisburg, PA

Posted 16 October 2015 - 07:55 PM

A very Happy Birthday to you, Cowboy Chris!

You have long been a favorite of mine on this board.  Your kindness cannot be surpassed.  That's a quality I greatly admire in a person.  And I greatly admire you.

I hope you have a wonderful day.  Enjoy!

#38 movieman1957

movieman1957

Chris

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,581 posts
  • LocationAnnapolis MD

Posted 16 October 2015 - 08:07 AM

Birthday greetings in the Westerns thread with the Marx Brothers and M&Ms. It is off to a good start. Thanks to you both. I appreciate you thinking of me.

Grab a handful and enjoy your day too.

• rohanaka likes this

G. Marx.

#39 molo14

molo14

MadHat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,845 posts
  • LocationChumley's Rest

Posted 16 October 2015 - 04:01 AM

Happy Birthday Movieman!

marx20bros.jpg?t=1444899355

Hope you have a wonderful day!

#40 rohanaka

rohanaka

Ro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,799 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 10:35 PM

Cough, cough.. sputter.. cough. (Well.. I am just a few hours early.. but excuse me, folks.. while I blow a little dust off this thread) Whew! Things sure do get dusty out here on the western side of town. :D

Just wanted to pop in and say HAPPPPPYYY Birthday this Friday to Mr. Movieman!!  Hope your day is a happy one, sir. 

Only one more thing left to say (because it IS his birthday, afterall.... ) M & M's for everybody!! (woo hoo!!) :) 

mm_zpsnprrczgb.jpg

Have a great day, friend. :) 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users