We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Jerry Lewis

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 TopBilled

TopBilled

Film Writing and Selected Journalism

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37,310 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 01:07 PM

The Nutty Professor is a classic. Try watching The Geisha Boy - the story of a magician who is not really a magician in the true sense of the word and an orphan; or It's Only Money - a comedy plus detective tale or even the extremely popular Rock-A-Bye-Baby - about infant triplets.

ROCK-A-BYE BABY, for those who don't know, is a remake of the even funnier MIRACLE OF MORGAN'S CREEK. That time around, the happy couple had sextuplets. 

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#2 Renee234

Renee234

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 12:27 PM

The Nutty Professor is a classic. Try watching The Geisha Boy - the story of a magician who is not really a magician in the true sense of the word and an orphan; or It's Only Money - a comedy plus detective tale or even the extremely popular Rock-A-Bye-Baby - about infant triplets.

• TopBilled likes this

#3 Natalie Webb

Natalie Webb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 05 November 2016 - 10:12 PM

I'm so glad others like "Cinderfella". I never get tired of watching it and Mr. Ed Wynn was terrific as the fairy godfather. Do both of you burst out laughing when Cinderella wants to jump on Fella? Jerry amazes me all the time in the dance segment going down the stairs so swiftly.

I love the scene where he goes down the stairs; Mr. Lewis could even make going down stairs entertaining!

#4 Natalie Webb

Natalie Webb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 05 November 2016 - 10:09 PM

I watched "The Nutty Professor" with Jerry Lewis a couple a weeks ago and loved it! Can anyone recommend another Jerry Lewis film that is just as good?

Jerry Lewis is a personal favorite of mine, I love the charm he puts into his humor. The Disorderly Orderly (1964) is probably one of my top favorites, you should definitely see it. He plays a nice guy who tries his best, but continuously gets in trouble; his character is optimistic and sweet, and Jerry Lewis shows his skills in a variety of different situations. In my opinion it is just as good if not better than The Nutty Professor.  

#5 JamesStewartFan95

JamesStewartFan95

The Richest Man in Town

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 737 posts

Posted 19 September 2015 - 08:56 PM

I find he's at his funniest when he's paired with Dean Martin, just because of the juxtaposition of the two of them.

#6 PaulTManuel

PaulTManuel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 06:55 AM

Jerry Lewis is an American comedian, actor, singer, film producer, screenwriter and film director. He is known for his slapstick humor in film, television, stage and radio.
And i think the best of Jerry's films are not that bad. In particular, his early films like The Bellboy, The Errand Boy, and The Nutty Professor are really very funny films, no less funny (and no less stupid) than the Three Stooges or any other slapstick comedy of the 1950s or 1960s. I think it was the later films, where he tried to inject a lot of pathos into them, were when they got a little bogged down. From about Family Jewels on (after 1965), I think his films lost something; I think his penchant for trying to play five or six characters and direct was a little much.
Cheap Hand Towels | Tea Towels UK

#7 flash70

flash70

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 10:45 AM

Interesting you should say that hes playing against type...since many believe he is actually playing himself in that film and in his Buddy Love character....or at least one aspect of his personality. Still, he is a major talent regardless and its a shame more film fans and critics dont take him more seriously

#8 flash70

flash70

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 10:40 AM

I concur! I would love to have a set of his movies with Tish!!!

#9 flash70

flash70

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 10:30 PM

Another idea would be to have Jerry as Star of the Month....one night could be Martin & Lewis films, another Frank Tashlin films....and, of course- a night of his self directed films....the mind boggles at the possibilities!

#10 cat9

cat9

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 09:18 AM

I just suggested a Jerry Lewis Marathon or a weekly like Tarzan has been. I've always enjoyed his movies so much and haven't seen most of them in a dogs age. Many are not even on DVD and the ones that are are pretty expensive.

#11 flash70

flash70

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 07:26 AM

"The Ultimate Jerry" collection is great...but I would LOVE to see a collection of Jerry's films with Frank Tashlin!

#12 redriver

redriver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,941 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 12:46 PM

Though I'm two years late, I'll respond to the original post. I think NUTTY PROFESSOR is Jerry's most sophisticated film, along with the unique and clever THE FAMILY JEWELS.

In the long run, I prefer THE BELL BOY and the similar THE ERRAND BOY. They're wacky, visual collages, more than linear stories. What do you expect from this lunatic?

The flat out funniest are the Martin team ups. I, also, like JUMPING JACKS, THE STOOGE, THE CADDY. The boys simply do their night club act and it's hilarious.

The comedian's best work? Like another poster, I admire the post-Martin, pre-auteur phase. Working with directors like Tashlin and Norman Taurog, he did some creative, but grounded silliness like THE DELICATE DELINQUENT, DON'T GIVE UP THE SHIP and VISITOR FROM A SMALL PLANET.

It's those movies that best showcase Lewis' talent as a performer, if not a "Complete Filmmaker."

#13 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

There is nothing as bad as something not so bad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,446 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 01 June 2011 - 07:42 PM

It is my understanding that he wasn't playing against type as he really was off camera.

i.e. that he could be a task master. Of course he had total control over his movies, set designed and create some great new camera techniques. Much of that might not of happened unless he tool that much control.

Anyhow, I love the movie King of Comedy.

#14 KidChaplin

KidChaplin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationHumansville, MO

Posted 29 April 2011 - 02:28 PM

I am a huge Jerry fan! I have his dvd collection "The Ultimate Jerry Collection!" If you dont know what I am talking about, it is a 5 disc collection with two movies each in 5 plastic folders. The movies are..

Delicate Delinquent, The Bellboy, Cinderfella, The Ladies Man, The Errand Boy, Nutty Professor, The Patsy, Disorderly Orderly, The Family Jewels and The Stooge w/ Dean.

They have special features with lost scenes, bloopers, original teasers, screen tests, and a few of them have commentary where Jerry watches them with singer, Steve Lawrence. It is interesting to hear Jerry criticize himself in certain places.

My favorite has to be The Patsy. When the different scenes are shown back to back where he is training to become a star, I about fall over laughing! Also, the scene on Teenage Dancetime where he lipsyncs "I Lost My Heart At A Drive-In Movie" is flat out belly busting!

I have never really liked the Martin-Lewis movies only because I dont like the "younger" Jerry. I hated the way he pursed his lips and got real whiny. He hit his stride when he went solo and could do his own films.

By the way, I actually have "Cracking Up" on VHS. LOL!

#15 DownGoesFrazier

DownGoesFrazier

Advanced Spinner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57,510 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA

Posted 12 May 2009 - 11:41 AM

One of the most interesting Jerry Lewis performances is his completely playing against type in "The King of Comedy".

#16 rebecca_adelaide

rebecca_adelaide

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 11:12 AM

i liked *Jumping Jacks* which is an early one, but i always like the ones with dean martin in them too

#17 gomarx

gomarx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 09:24 PM

I love the " Errand Boy". Not really much to the movie, but some of his funniest bits. The scene
where he gets caught in the rehearsal for the 20's musical is hillarious. My youngest son cracks
up at the part where the little puppet goes **** trying to make his bed.

#18 TriciaNY

TriciaNY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 02:09 AM

Rented Money from Home from Netfilx. I haven't seen it in ages. I loved it and so did the family! Jerry was sooooo funny and we cracked up many times.

#19 TriciaNY

TriciaNY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 01:57 AM

I haven't seen The Geisha Boy in ages! I must dig that tape out of the basement. I don't think it is on DVD?

#20 Bablefish

Bablefish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 02:14 PM

This actually got me thinking as to which Jerry Lewis films you just plain don't see any more. I frankly can't even recall anybody even playing any of these seemly forgotten films of Jerry Lewis

Which way to the front? 1970
Hardly Working 1980
Smorgasbord AKA Cracking Up 1983

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users